Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Is it possible to max out Triad, Cop, and Face levels through normal gameplay or should I be switching outfits regularly to min-max?

Meta Ridley posted:

Is this game better played with a controller on a TV or a Mouse/Keyboard on a monitor?

I've played like 15 hours now with a controller on a monitor and with the exception of shooting it's clearly built for a gamepad. Not sure if that helps you either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I switched outfits depending on what kind of exp i would be getting, i'll be maxing out triad like 1 or 2 missions before the final one. Cop you'll get shitloads of because of the drug busts. Basically if its a missions where you get the both, err on the side of triad and always look for the best outfits constantly if it'll bother you.

Face got filled up halfway through with always buying the best +face accessories. Massages are just for the face combat meter i think.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I've played like 15 hours now with a controller on a monitor and with the exception of shooting it's clearly built for a gamepad. Not sure if that helps you either way.

I don't think I'd be able to play this (or any game with driving and hand-to-hand) with a mouse and keyboard.

I spent plenty of time playing UT2k3 and original Counter-Strike way back when, and I still don't see the appeal of M+KB for aiming and shooting.

I mean, it's pretty well accepted that M+KB is the definitive FPS setup but I'll be the guy spinning around and shooting the ceiling if I'm not playing console (also throwing all my grenades by accident and not knowing how to run).

I guess what I'm trying to say is play Sleeping Dogs with a controller.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
The game is perfectly playable with mouse and keyboard. I finished my first play through entirely that way and the computer version does look the nicest. However adding an xbox controller to my pc made the game just a little smoother and the combo focused combat more manageable. Some of the minigames are also a stupid amount easier with a controller with only one being better on mouse.

What I'm saying is get the PC version if you have a good computer and plug in an xbox controller.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I played most of it on a controller, but switch back to the KB for two things: Karaoke and holy poo poo all these cars are full of guys with guns, better shoot their tires out.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Is it possible to max out Triad, Cop, and Face levels through normal gameplay or should I be switching outfits regularly to min-max?.

Triad XP is the only tricky one. On my second playthrough, I used the retro triad outfit for a while, the swapped to the 10% triad bonus outfit and stuck with that until the end. (Would have used the 15% but was missing the trousers until near the end.) By wearing that outfit I hit max level a couple of missions before the end without going out of my way to maximise triad points by doing slower more brutal batterings.

If you want to get the police rewards quicker you can have an outfit saved in your wardrobe for when you do the surveillance part of the drug busts. Overall though there is way more police and face XP than you will ever need so dress for triad XP and the rest will take care of itself.

titties
May 10, 2012

I had to replay a few missions to hit Triad level 10 once I beat the game. One thing that helps is to make an effort to slow the pace of combat. Don't wear damage buff items, and use more regular strikes and grapples.

I mean, any unarmed enemy aside from grapplers and bosses can be killed by a leg break > ninja backstab instant kill combo or an environmental grapple and you'll earn anywhere from 20 - 80 points depending on how varied your combat is (mixing up moves prevents diminishing returns). But then that enemy is dead, so you missed the opportunity to earn points for regular hits, counters, and stun strike + followup combos before the kill.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Do you get anything for doing all of the races? I've been finding them pretty lovely, especially on the bikes.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kin posted:

Do you get anything for doing all of the races? I've been finding them pretty lovely, especially on the bikes.

An achievement and progress toward %100.

And for the record, no, there is no reward for %100 besides an achievement.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Bike Races are horrible in this game. Normally, cruising through the streets on a 750cc bike I can clip pedestrians, smash through roadsigns, and t-bone armored trucks without nary a scratch. The first 30 seconds of a Bike Race, however? You hit a curb at 15mph and get launched into a high geosynchronous orbit, of course failing the race.

After your 17th restart, you figure it out and are #1 the entire course, until you're inches from the blue finish line and some Wannabe Gangster on a SpaceBike flies by you at Mach 6, and the game decides that being #2 means you still suck.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I thought all of the races were ridiculously easy, bikes and cars. :v: I think I lost one race in the entire game and that's when I thought I was slick and smashed into a bus stop right before the end.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Otacon posted:

Bike Races are horrible in this game. Normally, cruising through the streets on a 750cc bike I can clip pedestrians, smash through roadsigns, and t-bone armored trucks without nary a scratch. The first 30 seconds of a Bike Race, however? You hit a curb at 15mph and get launched into a high geosynchronous orbit, of course failing the race.

After your 17th restart, you figure it out and are #1 the entire course, until you're inches from the blue finish line and some Wannabe Gangster on a SpaceBike flies by you at Mach 6, and the game decides that being #2 means you still suck.

This is so close to what happens to me it confirms (in my eye) that it's a problem with the game rather than me :colbert:

The rubber-banding is loving awful for the bikes and I'm convinced they have super acceleration.

GreatPhoenix
Nov 9, 2004

Woah, you just wrinkled my brain!
So I lost my save file for this game and I was hoping to beat this game once more so my friend could watch the ending with me. I don't feel like playing all the way through it again, so does anyone have a save file from 4-5 missions from the ending of the game that they could share with me by chance?

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I fell through the earth and ended up in what looks like a level from Guild Wars 2.

drat valet refused to come get me.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Pretty!

Is there a way to change the field of view for the pc? I'm finding the camera position a bit too close to the character.

Also I really want a walk toggle. :(

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

I thought all of the races were ridiculously easy, bikes and cars. :v: I think I lost one race in the entire game and that's when I thought I was slick and smashed into a bus stop right before the end.

Same here, most of the races I spent the whole time trying to unleash as much carnage as possible on the other racers before deciding to win in the last stretch. It obviously helps a lot if you do the races after you've bought some better vehicles.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

WMain00 posted:

Also I really want a walk toggle. :(

There is one. I know on the console version you can hold down either the left trigger or bumper and Wei will then slow down a casual stroll. Someone earlier in the thread described it as a "strut" button. Not sure what that would be on PC (I think it's the aim button) but it's in the game.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Has anyone had a problem with menu items and key prompts not showing up? I just started the game and it's telling me to sprint but it just says "Press to Sprint" and when I click options the menu expands but there are no subcategories to click on.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well poo poo, thanks to the Steam ranking tracker, all the goons on my friends list are gonna know that I'm the road ragiest sidewalk-driving hit-and-run rear end in a top hat on the forums :(

I dunno, I'm just so entertained by that feature alone. Right next to the mission marker? gently caress that, I'm about to beat Skippy Granola's best "safe high speed driver" time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
5 new achievements for the Nightmare in North Point DLC (125 GS on Xbox). Gives some clue as to what the content type will be.

Two secret cheevos for story progression (I'm guessing)
One for getting all the side content, whatever that may be.
One for getting 5 gold stat awards, so some new challenges.
One for finding money shrines, so new collectibles.

I'm going to take a stab and call it at 2-3 hours of fun times with zombies. Not a huge expansion, but a fun goofy Hallowe'en epilogue. Still waiting to hear on price.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My friend told me he's getting this invisible actor glitch during cutscenes. You can fix it by turning on HD Textures, is this a Piracy glitch?

I don't want to keep helping him if it is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://store.steampowered.com/app/215248/

Might just have to pick this one up, despite my general dislike for cosmetic DLCs. Swords and a Fist of the North Star outfit? :getin:

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SynthOrange posted:

Might just have to pick this one up, despite my general dislike for cosmetic DLCs. Swords and a Fist of the North Star outfit? :getin:

I grabbed that and the SWAT Pack. For $2 I'd say the FIST OF THE NORTH STAR pack is worth it. The sword is pretty cool, and apparently the Wing Chun Master outfit allows you to 'control space and time', so whatever that means. The SWAT pack is... not terrible? I feel like it'd be a lot better if the method of getting the Police missions was more expedient. As it is, you have to go to the Police Station in North Point to get in the SWAT van, then drive around and find one of the nodes, at which point you'll start the mission, which requires you to drive to another location, and either talk to a spotter, climb to a vantage point and snipe a guy holding a hostage, shoot three to four guys holed up in a store and then chase down the last one to arrest him, or crash a car and then arrest the perp. The actual action is only a small fraction of the time, and most of it will be spent just going from place to place in the SWAT van, looking for your next mission. And you can't exit the van to go get a nearby lockbox or camera or something, because moving too far from the van while not on a mission will end your police run and send you back to the station. Really, if the missions were easily started right at the action, and there was a bit more variety, I'd be more inclined to say it's okay, but for the money it's a total waste unless you want to spend $4 just to be able to chase a guy down, dragon kick him in the back of the head and shout "YOU'RE UNDER ARREST".

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Nightmare in North Point is going to be $9.99 on PSN, so that's 800pts on Xbox? There's also a Ghost Pig pack coming out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry if this was answered already somewhere, but I just got to the first shooting section and the auto aim is extremely frustrating. Is there any way to disable this poo poo on the PC version? I'm having lots of fun otherwise but this just messes with my aiming instead of helping.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think they patched in an option to turn it off in the setup menu.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Uh, have you always been able to take people as human shields? I was messing around tonight, and I ended up disarming a cop and then grabbing him.

Coincidentally, cops are much more eager to shoot and kill you and your hostage when it's a policeman for some reason. I grabbed a civilian, backed into a corner, and I was able to live until my ammo ran out. (In which I used my last bullet of my shotgun to literally destroy the knee of my hostage.) :unsmigghh: But they gunned down me and the cop hostage right away earlier.

I bought the Tactical DLC too tonight. I love the outfit and the availability of an amazing gun with a grenade launcher. I never knew true excitement until I jumped off a guy's chest and fired an armed grenade down his throat.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Dodecalypse posted:

Uh, have you always been able to take people as human shields? I was messing around tonight, and I ended up disarming a cop and then grabbing him.

The fun part is pressing the punch button to let them go. (With a bullet to the knee first.)

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

SynthOrange posted:

I hate to tell you this but...

Isn't fist of the north star..

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw man, the waist up screenshot was misleading. :smith:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

SynthOrange posted:

Aw man, the waist up screenshot was misleading. :smith:

Don't feel bad I thought the same thing. :smith:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Welp, it seems i've hit a post game bug.

I was planning on replaying the missions one by one (with my new end game moves) until I crept up that last half level to 10 for Triads.

After replaying the 3rd mission though the entire game world has been locked to that story point progression.

So all of the races I still had to finish are locked, as are all of the missions i've completed and the phone jobs i've still to do. Oddly, even though i've completed them all, the help people missions and the drug busts have all shown back up in the world.

I still own all my hideouts, vehicles and the drop boxes and collectibles and whatnot are all still collected, but what's the point in doing any of that now if I still have to replay a huge part of the game to get access to the other stuff.

Is this a common bug and is there a way around it? I'm done with the game otherwise. :/ (it was pretty fun).

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Kin posted:

I was planning on replaying the missions one by one (with my new end game moves) until I crept up that last half level to 10 for Triads.

After replaying the 3rd mission though the entire game world has been locked to that story point progression.

So all of the races I still had to finish are locked, as are all of the missions i've completed and the phone jobs i've still to do. Oddly, even though i've completed them all, the help people missions and the drug busts have all shown back up in the world.

I still own all my hideouts, vehicles and the drop boxes and collectibles and whatnot are all still collected, but what's the point in doing any of that now if I still have to replay a huge part of the game to get access to the other stuff.

Is this a common bug and is there a way around it? I'm done with the game otherwise. :/ (it was pretty fun).

Am I the only person who forces this bug deliberately? I like restarting the whole game with all my awesome kung fu skillz and huge amounts of money and fancy cars and choosing which clothes I want to wear rather than which ones give me the bonuses I need.

I expect the only way to fix it is to reload the last save you made (not the auto-save, 'cause that's what dumps you back at the start of the game, but the last time you actually went to the menu and saved it manually).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The SWAT DLC isn't that bad. Pretty cool actually if you're playing the game from the start so it's always there. Wei is a crappy undercover cop but he makes a great SWAT officer.
Pity there only seems to be only so missions though

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Kin posted:

:words:

I had the same thing happen to me and posted about it a few times in this thread. I even create a thread on the official forums but no responses yet. If you find anything out please let me know.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Just beat it, awesome game, though a bit shorter than expected.

I think goon reports of the game spoiled me slightly though, I was expecting more environmental ways to kill people, but the existing ones never got boring. Table saws, dumpsters, air conditioners, car engine hoists, fish tanks, furnaces, etc. Maybe because I read about all of those in PYF before starting the game. :(

Something is wrong with me :ohdear:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
If you want more of that you should play the Punisher game that came out a long while back. It's pretty much Max Payne with gory environmental kills!

titties
May 10, 2012

That Punisher game, along with Scarface: The World is Yours are a couple of games that I think didn't get enough credit. Not that the criticisms about them weren't mostly valid, but they still delivered plenty of fun.

Was Sleeping Dogs the easiest plat for everyone / of all time? I am terrible at trophy completion, I have one plat for every year that I've had a PS3. Still got this one in two weeks.

E: I still laugh a little thinking about that Scarface game. Talking your way out of being arrested?

Tony: You want some yayo?
Cop: Oh, sorry, Mr. Montana. Have a nice day!

Video game Tony loved and hated that coke so much. His last gasp upon getting run over by a car one time: loving YAYooooooo

titties fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 29, 2012

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I had the same thing happen to me and posted about it a few times in this thread. I even create a thread on the official forums but no responses yet. If you find anything out please let me know.

I just gave up and moved into the next thing on the backlog. No point in getting hung up about it when there are other awesome games to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
So, out of nowhere today AVG 'detected a threat' with the .exe for the game (HKShip.exe) and I just kinda quirked a brow, deleted the file and let steam verify and re-download the .exe but it's still doing it.

Is anyone else dealing with this? I figure it's a false-positive but I was curious.

• Locked thread