Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Kerfuffle posted:

Those freckles are too cute for words. More pictures. :colbert:

Sure, I have plenty of bad cell phone pics handy. Most of these are a month or two old so he's definitely gotten bigger since.

This is his 'stop playing Guild Wars and pay attention to me' face.

Hanging out with his buddy Miles, who is only tolerating him due to his proximity to the sunlight.

Typical stance, since its the only cool tile in the house. I've since wised up and stopped leaving that much tempting leather sitting out before disaster strikes.

Oops, forgot about that one.

'Take me for a walk.'

'Noooooooo, watching you rake leaves is not a walk.'

Dude loves the car, and he's amazing on long drives. Barely annoying at all, which is a huge change from the English Setters I grew up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
There were three landseer newfie puppies (5 months) at the shelter today. Too cute for words :3:

uptown
May 16, 2009
I have NEVER seen a Newfie at a shelter here. I spent two years creeping the Edmonton Humane Society's website, even when I wasn't in a position to get a dog, and not once did I see a Newf. I also follow a few local rescues on Facebook and didn't see any there, either. If I had, I would have adopted one in a heartbeat.

Speaking of 5 month old Newfies, Shantilal will be 5 months old on the 14th! Today is my 3-month anniversary (monthiversary?) of having him. PetSmart puppy classes are for dogs 5 months and younger, so they advised me to take the beginners' class instead of puppy class. That means waiting another two weeks for a class to start, but that's probably for the best. I'd rather have him around dogs that are a little closer to his size for now.

Snoozin' on my floor

We had a tiny snowfall in Edmonton a few days ago. He loved it - I have a video of him playing in the snow that I'll have to upload soon. I can't wait to see how he reacts in a few weeks, when we get a real dump of snow.

And another comparison pic of him and Aussie. Shanti is still skinny, but he's starting to get a bit more of a mature shape now and is broadening through the waist. They're about the same size when standing, but you can definitely tell that Shantilal is a puppy.

uptown fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 12, 2012

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
Omg he looks like he's in an 80s hair band with all that adorable fluff on his head! :)

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

uptown posted:

I have NEVER seen a Newfie at a shelter here. I spent two years creeping the Edmonton Humane Society's website, even when I wasn't in a position to get a dog, and not once did I see a Newf. I also follow a few local rescues on Facebook and didn't see any there, either. If I had, I would have adopted one in a heartbeat.

They were listed as Newf/Berner mixes, but they're not online so unfortunately no photos. I'm at Toronto Animal Services where we get a ton of dogs from just all over.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Sunday would like you all to meet...

...her new little brother!

This is the little guy currently known only as "Yellow". He was 4 weeks old in this picture, and he's about to be 5 weeks now. We haven't decided on a name for him yet because they haven't picked a litter theme, but we're hoping they do it soon because I really want a name for him. :)

I also took some pictures of he and his littermates (obviously he is the one in the yellow collar):

I also took about a thousand videos while I was there (they were 3.5 weeks at the time), but I managed to cut the best parts of them together into one 2 and a half minute long video. They're not super active yet, but they're getting there! My favorite part of the video is when one of the puppies manages to run for about two seconds before tripping over his little feet and face planting.

Also I can't bear to watch the first scene of the video because I feel so bad for the little puppy! (She was fine though)

Without further ado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeUSB0cglyQ

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Veruca Salt posted:

Sunday would like you all to meet...

...her new little brother!

This is the little guy currently known only as "Yellow". He was 4 weeks old in this picture, and he's about to be 5 weeks now. We haven't decided on a name for him yet because they haven't picked a litter theme, but we're hoping they do it soon because I really want a name for him. :)

I also took some pictures of he and his littermates (obviously he is the one in the yellow collar):

I also took about a thousand videos while I was there (they were 3.5 weeks at the time), but I managed to cut the best parts of them together into one 2 and a half minute long video. They're not super active yet, but they're getting there! My favorite part of the video is when one of the puppies manages to run for about two seconds before tripping over his little feet and face planting.

Also I can't bear to watch the first scene of the video because I feel so bad for the little puppy! (She was fine though)

Without further ado:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeUSB0cglyQ

Oh my god cute overload! :3: Congrats on a new horse, he is adorable! When you get him smush his face for me, please!

uptown
May 16, 2009
Congratulations! Yellow and Sunday will be very happy and adorable together :)

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Q: How many Great Danes can you fit into the back of a Honda CR-V ?

A:

The Mom + puppies pickup operation mentioned in my last post was successfully executed this past Sunday. Mom + 2 pups got to hang out here for the afternoon, the other 3 puppies went to some other fosters.

The backstory on this one sounds like the result of an attempted BYB operation. Mom apparently had NINE puppies sometime in late July. For whatever reason, the owner gave away the father (another Great Dane) and 4 male puppies, keeping Mom (currently referred to as Emma) + 5 female pups. I'm not quite clear on how the rescue got involved, but whatever. Emma isn't in too bad a shape, compared to what Koda & Chaos looked like when we got them. 33 inches at the shoulder and about 105 lbs. when we got her. Has a :wtc: level staph skin infection, open sore on the back of her neck, hookworm, and a number of obvious bite/claw marks in various spots on her body. No heartworms thankfully.

Bonus puppy content:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh god, they're at maximum derpy looking stage right now. Their ears are enormous. Poor mom, though. What's up with that huge hanging teat? Is she still producing milk or did she just get a case of loose flesh or..? The pictures make it look kinda swollen. And those pups should've let her dry out a good long while ago. She's a really pretty mantle girl. And I just kinda wanna roll in the back of the puppy party car.

Veruca, that puppy is going to be so spoiled. :swoon: And you got a brindle! Also yes teenaged great danes are basically a giant pain in the rear end. And you're getting a puppy at the same time. :buddy: Your whole house is going to be a giant disaster and it's gonna be the best thing.

And yay, happy birthday Sage. She's got the sweetest face.

Oh, and I guess I should say something. Balen's a little sore right now (tends to happen when Amy throws herself into the back of your hocks four times in a row) so he's just kinda taking it easy. And of course he's pouting about it. Oh, it's so hard to get up off the bed :qq: kinda stuff. So he's been getting something mild from the vet just in case it's legitimate. And while I think there might be some minor actual stiffness going on, as soon as he hears the fridge open he gets up as fast as Amy does and rushes into the kitchen. I'm on to you fuzzface. I think he just wants the cheese slice around the pill.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

uptown posted:

Snoozin' on my floor

I want daily photo updates.

Neuman turned 5(!!!) the other day:

Someone should inform him of that, he still acts like a puppy most of the time:

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Veruca Salt posted:

Hey does anyone have any EXTREMELY picky dogs? We're trying to get Sunday to put on a few pounds because you can see the knobs in her spine, but she is the pickiest loving eater EVER. She just does not care about food, she never seems to be hungry. We've tried what feels like everything to get her to put on weight. Currently she's getting two cups of dehydrated raw food (Dried-N-Alive) mixed with either canned food or raw meat depending on what we have available, plus a high calorie liquid supplement (Dyne), and a raw egg mixed in with a little bit of shredded cheese on top (she LOVES cheese). She gets this twice a day and usually only eats half. The biggest problem is that she's only interested in a particular food that she at first seems to adore for about 3 days, then she literally turns her nose up at it and refuses to touch it ever ever again.

Why is my dog being such a bitch :(

Mouse won't eat his food without pumpkin anymore. When we first got him, he was making GBS threads water constantly and losing weight, which we could not figure out as we were feeding him Instinct and make sure that everything he got had as few ingredients as possible (he had gone from foster to foster to foster before we got him and who knows what he was fed). We took him to the vet the day we got him (at around 9 months) and they told us he was 67 lbs. A month later, 70.5 lbs and the vet recommended several prescriptions.

We were a bit cautious after looking up the medication they had put him on, since the doctor told us he'd have to be on it forever, and it was steroids. We were wary of putting a puppy on steroids for the rest of his life and instead tried to change his diet up. Instead of chicken meal, we switched to lamb. A month later we took him for a checkup and he had gained 15 lbs.

He's still a huge pain in the rear end about eating, though. Unless we mix canned pumpkin into his food he has no interest in it at all. We also have to be very careful with his treats. My wife and I both work so we have a bait bag for his dog walker with things we know that won't upset his stomach, and we're sure to bring the same bag to the groomer as well. We're just avoiding poultry altogether at this point.

As far as getting him to eat, outside of the aforementioned pumpkin, which is a requirement for him to be even remotely interested in his food whatsoever at this point (we started giving him pumpkin to help settle his stomach but now its been a constant thing, just a teaspon-tablespoon per meal), I'l also do some quick click training in the morning with a high value treat (in Mouse's case, beef jerky). After a couple of those, I drop the rest of the jerky in his food and he immediately devours the entire bowl.

Its kind of a process and might seem like overkill but since I get up at 6, let him out to pee, feed him, get ready for work, and try to get him to poop before I leave at 7, its worked out so far. Far better than the constant battles before which invariably ended up with my wife and I being late for work.

Menstrual Show fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 14, 2012

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Misanthrope posted:

I want daily photo updates.

Neuman turned 5(!!!) the other day:

Someone should inform him of that, he still acts like a puppy most of the time:

Oh come on, this is just going to piss off my wife when I send her more pictures of dogs we need to have.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I love all these dogs :3:

I've been talking to a Newfoundland breeder 250 miles from me who's done her very best to scare me off getting one, which I appreciate! She has a 4 week old litter of pups at the mo and i'm potentially going to visit them soon.

The mum's hip scores are 8, the dad's are 15. Both have elbow scores of 1 (I believe that applies to Dad too), That seems pretty good, right? They have a Cardiologist who visits yearly to test them too.

I may just have to pass on this litter and wait till next year though as I'm buying a house and havent got a completion date yet - so 4 weeks till puppy arrives doesnt give me wriggle room

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Got a pic of one of the newfy mutt puppies at the shelter right now :3:. Big fuzzy doofus.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
^ Awww, what a sweet face.

Question for all the Dane owners: Is your dog hilariously jealous too?

Seriously, Bella can go around the dog park and demand pets and lean on people like she's never had a friend in the world. But if I pet another dog, then she just has to interject. She's not rude about it and doesn't mean mug or anything, she just physically wriggles her way in between me and the other dog so that I must pet her.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

It's better when you have two so they casually smash into each other until somebody gives in (noone ever gives in). I can be petting Balen and Amy will walk over and push her face between him and me (since Balen has a tendancy to lay his head against you and look up at you with this giant starstruck gaze like you're the most amazing thing ever). Slowly, the head between us becomes a neck and a head. Then a neck, head and shoulder. There's no shoving at him, she just slowly melts in between us. Then the paws start coming up on my lap as she tries to literally attach herself to me. Because laying and sprawling and rolling all over me is never enough. We must try to literally become one with the human.

And Balen does the same drat thing, though he doesn't end up trying to wad himself into a ball in my lap and crushing his face against my stomach. He just crushes his shoulder against me and thumps his tail because everything's great, right? Who needs to breathe? Thump thump thump.

Dog parks are so much worse. Most of the time I can play with the other mutts no problem, but every now and then Balen or Amy sees me and they come over at this high stepping trot-prance thing, run through the dogs being petted by everyone, then proceed to flop themselves on as many people as they can. Like one person will get a head, the other will get some shoulders and a back, and usually I get a tail beating my legs off as they lean so hard on everyone they possibly can. The other danes at the dog park do that poo poo too, so it ain't just us.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Writer Cath posted:

^ Awww, what a sweet face.

Question for all the Dane owners: Is your dog hilariously jealous too?

Seriously, Bella can go around the dog park and demand pets and lean on people like she's never had a friend in the world. But if I pet another dog, then she just has to interject. She's not rude about it and doesn't mean mug or anything, she just physically wriggles her way in between me and the other dog so that I must pet her.

I don't have a big dog (sadly), but the guy running the local pet shop/aquarium has two great danes that basically wander the store (They don't harrass people or anything, they're just big lean goofy dogs doing their own thing quietly). Very friendly and very gentle, though they tend to let you know they want scritches by just walking up and leaning against you with their side.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Not a Dane, but Husker is kind of quietly/gently jealous too. All our friends' dogs are small, too, so you have to bend down or kneel to pet them, and he comes over and uses his size to melt his way in.

I'm wondering what he'll do when Aslan the 3-month-old GSD puppy gets tall and can't be smooshed out of the way as easily :allears:

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!

Zenithbliss posted:

I've been talking to a Newfoundland breeder 250 miles from me who's done her very best to scare me off getting one, which I appreciate!

What's she saying to try and scare you off one? I've been wanting a Newf for a long time, but need a more stable living situation before I go that far.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Bat-Dane attempt: Failed :(

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005
My Irish Wolfhound Shea and her older brother Lucky

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Holy crap she is beautiful. :3:

uptown
May 16, 2009
I love Wolfhounds. I'm a conscientious pet owner, and I like when people ask before touching my dog, so of course I always ask if I can say hi when I see someone with a gorgeous dog. Anyways, I met a Wolfhound owner a few years ago, and she was so thrilled to talk about her dog and show me pictures of him. They're magnificent dogs, you're lucky to have her.

A few questions, though - How old is she? What kind of a pet is she? I would like one eventually... I was put off by their very short lifespan, but at the end of the day, if I can give a dog love and receive it back in kind, then the pain of losing it will be worth it.

Ninja edit: Here's a picture of Shantilal and Aussie. Shanti is a bit shorter in the body than Aus right now, but his waist has filled out and his head is the only puffy part left on his body. Watching him grow up is pretty amazing.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
uptown, you're not posting nearly enough pictures in this thread.

Hell you should make your own thread of the size progression of him. I did with Neuman way back when and it was well received.

Giant breeds are great in that you can put 'em in the crate one night and when you let them out the next morning, you have a new bigger dog.

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

uptown posted:

A few questions, though - How old is she? What kind of a pet is she? I would like one eventually... I was put off by their very short lifespan, but at the end of the day, if I can give a dog love and receive it back in kind, then the pain of losing it will be worth it.

Shea is 6 years old. She's mostly a lazy dog around the house and the sweetest thing in the world. She loves to play with Lucky and will go on a tear if you let her run around the front yard. She's not the kind of dog that wants to be in your lap (which is good considering her size) and won't come up to snuggle with you, but doesnt mind at all if you go to her to snuggle. She prefers to be in the same room as you, but not right at your feet.
She's very obedient and not really the smartest dog, but not dumb either. Lucky is a big barker if he sees something outside, but Shea will just stand next to Lucky watching out the windows silently. When they play, Shea sounds like Chewbacca instead of barking and its great.
She hasn't needed to go to the vet in years and is still in very good health. She does need a bath at least every other week or else she'll be a bit smelly but she's very patient in the bathtub which is great.

Shea also loves going for a ride and will always jump over into the back seat if nothing is there.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Thought you guys might like an update...

He's the pick of the litter. He should be coming home next weekend, I think. They still haven't decided on a litter theme, which is super annoying, so he still doesn't have a name. Also his ears have been cropped now. :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh gosh he's going to be enormous and it's going to be wonderful :swoon:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Veruca Salt posted:

Thought you guys might like an update...

He's the pick of the litter. He should be coming home next weekend, I think. They still haven't decided on a litter theme, which is super annoying, so he still doesn't have a name. Also his ears have been cropped now. :)

D'aww, look at those oversized ears and paws. He's going to be a colossal softie one day.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

I think his paws are already as big as Sunday's, haha.

One thing I'm curious about though-- he's going to be shown, and from looking at the breed standards, white on the chest and toes are "not desirable". It looks like my puppy has a little white star on his chest (I haven't see him since he was three weeks old). How bad is that?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

I think his paws are already as big as Sunday's, haha.

One thing I'm curious about though-- he's going to be shown, and from looking at the breed standards, white on the chest and toes are "not desirable". It looks like my puppy has a little white star on his chest (I haven't see him since he was three weeks old). How bad is that?

Few points off here and there. Depends on the judges. Not desirable doesn't mean disqualification by any extent of the imagination.

I'm sad they're not showing him with natural ears though. :(

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Few points off here and there. Depends on the judges. Not desirable doesn't mean disqualification by any extent of the imagination.

I'm sad they're not showing him with natural ears though. :(

I know, I pushed for the natural ears. :( She said that her line's ears are so large that they inevitably get infected when not cropped. Plus it was part of the contract of co-ownership. I'm sad too.

She says she's taking suggestions for litter themes, which I really want her to hurry up with because I want his call name to be inspired by his registered name. Maybe you guys can help me brainstorm some suggestions to send to her :D

The mom's call name is Eden; her last litter had a Garden of Eden theme. One of the things she's considering is songs by The Eagles (they had an album called Out Of Eden).

Any ideas so I can name my puppy?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

I know, I pushed for the natural ears. :( She said that her line's ears are so large that they inevitably get infected when not cropped. Plus it was part of the contract of co-ownership. I'm sad too.

She says she's taking suggestions for litter themes, which I really want her to hurry up with because I want his call name to be inspired by his registered name. Maybe you guys can help me brainstorm some suggestions to send to her :D

The mom's call name is Eden; her last litter had a Garden of Eden theme. One of the things she's considering is songs by The Eagles (they had an album called Out Of Eden).

Any ideas so I can name my puppy?

If they're using The Eagles you have to call him Desperado. Or that's my vote anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagles_%28band%29#History Eagles songs.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Hahaha if they're going with Eagles we were thinking of Seven, after "Seven Bridges Road." I want it to start with an S so that it matches Sunday and because I'm weird. :D

We were also thinking of just ditching the idea of tying the registered and call names in altogether because we both really like the name Sawyer. If you can think of any way to work that into some kind of Eden related theme, let me know :D

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If they're using The Eagles you have to call him Desperado. Or that's my vote anyway.

This, the most correct post.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Veruca Salt posted:

Hahaha if they're going with Eagles we were thinking of Seven, after "Seven Bridges Road." I want it to start with an S so that it matches Sunday and because I'm weird. :D

We were also thinking of just ditching the idea of tying the registered and call names in altogether because we both really like the name Sawyer. If you can think of any way to work that into some kind of Eden related theme, let me know :D
My vote goes for Seven because "Seven Bridges Road" is an awesome song and this looks like an awesome dog.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Actually, this would be cute if we called him Desi for short... hmmm...

Veruca Salt fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 5, 2012

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!
How is Desi short for Seven?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Mr.Drf posted:

How is Desi short for Seven?

I am assuming she meant to quote FB's post (so Desi = short for Desperado)

I am putting my vote in for Desperado! Cannot wait until you get him and can post billions of pictures of him. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

cryingscarf posted:

I am assuming she meant to quote FB's post (so Desi = short for Desperado)

I am putting my vote in for Desperado! Cannot wait until you get him and can post billions of pictures of him. :3:

That is a seriously awesome name! I agree.