Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
How In depth in the crate mode? I'm a sucker for any of those in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The GIG posted:

How In depth in the crate mode? I'm a sucker for any of those in a game.

I'd call it more in-depth than what I've seen in previous Empires games. It seems like most sections have around 10-20 different creation options, so there's a lot of room for customization. Faces have the basic templates then the eyes, nose, mouth, eyebrows, and accessory slots. Clothing has hat, shirt, gloves, pants, and shoes. There's the previously mentioned weapon styles, EX move, and musous to select, along with your basic starting stats and some other option at the end I couldn't figure out.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

I'd call it more in-depth than what I've seen in previous Empires games. It seems like most sections have around 10-20 different creation options, so there's a lot of room for customization. Faces have the basic templates then the eyes, nose, mouth, eyebrows, and accessory slots. Clothing has hat, shirt, gloves, pants, and shoes. There's the previously mentioned weapon styles, EX move, and musous to select, along with your basic starting stats and some other option at the end I couldn't figure out.

Just templates, no sliders and such? Still sounds pretty decent though, I'll most likely get this and just end up crating a bunch of dudes instead of getting stuff done outside of unlocking parts.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Been an on and off again fan of these series through the years, got hooked again on Samurai Warriors 2 Empires.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Been an on and off again fan of these series through the years, got hooked again on Samurai Warriors 2 Empires.

What do you think about it? I've only really played the Vanilla titles, so I'd like to hear a bit more on the Empires games before 7E drops.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

The GIG posted:

What do you think about it? I've only really played the Vanilla titles, so I'd like to hear a bit more on the Empires games before 7E drops.

It is decent. I spent only fifteen pounds getting it second hand but it is a good distraction. My only qualms is that the Empire mode isn't that deep (get monies be aggressive) and gently caress me the voice acting is the worst in the series (THATS A CURLY ONE!) but I had some fun by being a bad rear end Nobunaga Oda wrecking stuff with my evil anime sword.

Also Koei, no offence but I ever get the money and time via the lottery totally making a balls crazy Napoleonic tribute to this.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Some more comments about SW2E, since it's 1 of 2 Empires games I've played (the other is DE6E.

There isn't much grand strategy besides "secure one end of the map so only have two active fronts" which is stupidly easy unless you start on one of the regional maps that isn't Kyushu or Oshu. Like the DWE games, there are different setups based on time period, with a scenario battle based around whichever big battle was going on at the time. There really isn't any econ strategy besides "Get enoungh gold to acquire lvl3 weapons", and diplomacy basically amounts to getting the AI to agree to a cease fire while you go beat some other folks up.

For battles, there is a neat feature where you and your opponent have "Maneuver Cards." The goal of course is to play weak versus strong, but all it amounts to is giving one side or the other a buff. There are also other tactics and troop types that can be brought in to complement your guys.

As for the fighting itself, it feels like a step forward and a step backward from SW2. On the one hand your allied AI officers don't seem like helpless kittens in constant need of rescuing. On the other hand, your much more fragile and need to exercise caution when fighting officers, which I feel goes against the flow of a musou game. Also, the limits of being a PS2 port show because there really are not a lot of troops on any given map. Which, again, kinda goes against the spirit of the game.

Overall, I would recommend it to existing fans of the series. But it's not something to start off with.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I ask this every two years but will there ever be a Dynasty Warriors engine that coincides with a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game play? I want to wander the world working for various Lords and then cobble my own kingdom.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The DW Empires series that was posted about just above you is the closest you'll see to that.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Warriors 3 Empires is the absolute closest we've ever gotten to RoTK and the Warriors franchises merging together.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Which is of course why said game was only for PS3 and never made it over from Japan :argh:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

DW6E also has an officer mode that lets you wander different kingdoms. Unfortunately it's based off of Dynasty Warrior 6-and while I'd much rather play 6E than 6, it still has a lot of issues.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Supposedly the new empires does too, even getting to the point of becoming a mercenary band and growing into a new faction. I got that from a random picture on a message board

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Does anyone know what volume of the manga that One Piece Musou goes up to? I've been reading it when I get the down time to and it's okay so far but I'm ready to start playing the game.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The game ends at volume 60, the last volume before the timeskip. I remember because the cover for volume 61 is almost the same as the cover for volume 1. :unsmith:

Also, the manga starts off slow, but sometime around Water 7, it becomes a thing of beauty. :)

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Autumncomet posted:

The game ends at volume 60, the last volume before the timeskip. I remember because the cover for volume 61 is almost the same as the cover for volume 1. :unsmith:

Also, the manga starts off slow, but sometime around Water 7, it becomes a thing of beauty. :)

Jesus. I'm only on 22 and thought that I was making good progress. I'm still going to wait it out though, gonna have to find some other Musou game to get my fix from.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Don't know if anyone's seen this yet but here's a really low quality video showing off some of the various "new" weapons in Empires and how they changed around EX and Musous. It's mostly the same as WO3 but with some changes.

It also shows off how diverse of characters you can make in the CAW system, the full body portraits they get, and that the morale bar is back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPSSXFBY-2E

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Those of you who are fans of the Touhou games will like this video. For anyone who isn't...I'm not sure where to begin.

DW crew dancing to 'Percival Sisters on Drugs'

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Those of you who are fans of the Touhou games will like this video. For anyone who isn't...I'm not sure where to begin.

DW crew dancing to 'Percival Sisters on Drugs'

Explains a lot about Liu Shan, I'll give it that.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

So what is the future of the RTK series for those of us in the English Speaking world? Last I've played is RTK XI.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Ambivalent posted:

So what is the future of the RTK series for those of us in the English Speaking world? Last I've played is RTK XI.

I hear the twelfth installment is coming to the WiiU and possibly the PS3. I imagine a PC version will be available, too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

RoTK12 is on PC, PS3, and Wii U but they probably aren't gonna see US release.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Policenaut posted:

I saw the WiiU version on a pre-order list at my local gamestop. I know that isn't exactly conclusive proof, but it sure looks promising!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

Explains a lot about Liu Shan, I'll give it that.

If I wasn't so in love with spinning Okuu, I'd ask for a .gif of Liu Bei for my avatar (with your quote as the text, most likely :tipshat: )

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Policenaut posted:

It'd be such a great fit on the Vita. A game like that you could spend probably the whole campaign poking at the screen for options instead of using the gamepad options.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Shin Hokuto Musou's page opened and uh...that's a lot of character slots.

I can't even think who that could all be, other than wasteland raider A, B, C, D, and E or something.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe we'll get to play as people like Bat, Yuria, and Lin :getin:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't even think who that could all be, other than wasteland raider A, B, C, D, and E or something.

I'd be surprised if they were all playable characters. That's practically a slot for every named character from both series.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'm almost certain of that, yeah. What will Yuria even do? I remember watching the first series and thinking, she's a general of the south stars, but can she even fight?

But yeah, maybe those aren't all to be filled, maybe its just there for the page to give it a sense of mystery about how many characters there will be.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I think they already said that Bat and Lin/Rin from ~the future~ are going to be playable.

But yeah, there's no implication there that those are all playable character slots.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

Wasn't Bat at least shown to be playable in the recent trailer? (e: beaten)

I'm actually really looking forward to this, too. A lot of the gameplay footage has shown that they fixed a bunch of irritating problems from the first game (the ridiculously slow speed of Kenshiro, being able to aim special techniques better, etc.).

But gently caress playing as Toki forever, having to cancel out of nearly every combo to avoid his sick rear end coughing and wheezing was not fun at all.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Awesome Welles posted:

Wasn't Bat at least shown to be playable in the recent trailer? (e: beaten)

I'm actually really looking forward to this, too. A lot of the gameplay footage has shown that they fixed a bunch of irritating problems from the first game (the ridiculously slow speed of Kenshiro, being able to aim special techniques better, etc.).

But gently caress playing as Toki forever, having to cancel out of nearly every combo to avoid his sick rear end coughing and wheezing was not fun at all.

His dream mode was awesome because he was healed in it, so he didn't have that poo poo. He was an absolute wrecking ball without getting stunned after every combo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

All I remember doing was like his SST combo or whatever where he did his Jesus powers in like two directions and he was strong enough that it one hit killed most grunts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was going to say I don't remember Toki being that bad, I forget he was healed in the dream mode version. He was utterly unstoppable then though, which is pretty true to the source material.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Policenaut posted:

All I remember doing was like his SST combo or whatever where he did his Jesus powers in like two directions and he was strong enough that it one hit killed most grunts.

I literally used only this combo through story mode and it made it so much easier. It had ridiculous range on it too which made it awesome.

I honestly haven't gotten around to playing him in Dream Mode because of his illness bullshit, and I had no idea he was healed in it. I'll have to jump back into it to see how I fare because dream mode is loving awesome.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hokuto no Ken 2 has a metric ton of one off bad guys that get exploded. I imagine that most of them will be those guys.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Not strictly Musou related but apparently Q2 2012 was Koei-Tecmo's most profitable quarter yet (as a holding company I assume, not counting Koei and Tecmo individually). It's mostly due to DLC and browser/mobile games though.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
One Piece: Pirate Warriors is going to be on sale for 40% off ($29.99) for PS+ members this week.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What in the gently caress.

Dynasty Warriors 8 was announced in Famitsu.

I cannot loving believe this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

What in the gently caress.

Dynasty Warriors 8 was announced in Famitsu.

I cannot loving believe this poo poo.
Actually from the layout I don't believe that is Famitsu, unless they have changed a lot. Maybe Shonen Jump's game section or something?

Anyway that's odd. DW6 was a failure so it makes sense to bring out DW7 as soon as they could after, but 7 was awesome, why replace it so soon?