Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'm in California and the cat for my 2002 wrangler was $1700 from Jeep.

I really shoulda went looking second hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm in California and the cat for my 2002 wrangler was $1700 from Jeep.

I really shoulda went looking second hand.

There is no second hand. Federal law: no selling used cats.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
gently caress the police

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
California posters in this forum should have some kind of identifying mark so we know when the normal rules don't apply and can just reply with "Sorry dude, you're hosed."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motronic posted:

There is no second hand. Federal law: no selling used cats.

A friend of mine bought a POS Cherokee off CL last year for $300 and swapped the cat over from that.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I live in 98332 and I own a 1989 B2200 regular cab.

I've looked under the bed of the truck and I do have a spare tire but I don't have one of those crank things to lower it. Can someone recommend where to pick one up? Should I get one from a pick-a-part? Any suggestions?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
It really bugs me living next door to california, we get a lot of their transplants. They vote in all these crazy loving laws that make the cost of living soar, then move one state over, because california is now too expensive, then start trying to vote in the same poo poo here.

We had one drive in a calif edition suzuki aerio with a bad cat, just the part cost $900, customer couldn't afford the repair. Even the universal weld in muffler shop across the street couldn't do anything for him.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

A friend of mine bought a POS Cherokee off CL last year for $300 and swapped the cat over from that.

Frankly that's the best way to do it, and what I've done in the past. It's even totally legal as far as I know, even though it's an end run around the intent of the relevant laws.

Bonus that you can either part the rest of it out or get $300 for it in scrap by weight.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Motronic posted:

Frankly that's the best way to do it, and what I've done in the past. It's even totally legal as far as I know, even though it's an end run around the intent of the relevant laws.

Bonus that you can either part the rest of it out or get $300 for it in scrap by weight.

Or look around online and find someone doing a part-out and make a shady off-the-books deal. Or befriend someone who runs a scrapyard and make a shady off-the-books deal. Or have a friend ship you a generic $99 cat from out-of-state and find a way to graft the shell of the OEM cat onto the new one so it looks legit. More than one way to skin a cat, amirite?? :downsrim:

Bottom line, no loving way would I spend $1700 on some lovely piece of emissions equipment that I don't really want on there anyway. I would find some way around that, no matter what it took.

gently caress stupid laws like this. I have an airbag wheel from my BMW that I attempted to list on ebay, until Ebay informed me on the last screen before I was going to post the listing that it's illegal to sell used airbags in NY state. :wtc:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Motronic posted:

Or you can leave it sitting in the backyard in case you need parts in the future! (His wife hates it so much).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As much fun as it is to bag on California and its draconian emissions laws, one does have to wonder: why in the gently caress does an OEM jeep cat cost $1700? I realize they're literally made of platinum, but that's still outrageous.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

As much fun as it is to bag on California and its draconian emissions laws, one does have to wonder: why in the gently caress does an OEM jeep cat cost $1700? I realize they're literally made of platinum, but that's still outrageous.

The issues are one in the same. They can charge that much because you don't have a choice but to pay it due to government regulations.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Leperflesh posted:

Shitloads more platinum, and the manufacturing and handling costs that go with that. Also the "gently caress you" upcharge, commonly also found on OEM info/nav/radio screens, windshields, trim panels, and "why does a single TTY headbolt for this car cost 25 goddamn dollars?!? I need 16! :suicide:"

Black88GTA posted:

Or look around online and find someone doing a part-out and make a shady off-the-books deal. Or befriend someone who runs a scrapyard and make a shady off-the-books deal. Or have a friend ship you a generic $99 cat from out-of-state and find a way to graft the shell of the OEM cat onto the new one so it looks legit. More than one way to skin a cat, amirite?? :downsrim:

Bottom line, no loving way would I spend $1700 on some lovely piece of emissions equipment that I don't really want on there anyway. I would find some way around that, no matter what it took.

gently caress stupid laws like this. I have an airbag wheel from my BMW that I attempted to list on ebay, until Ebay informed me on the last screen before I was going to post the listing that it's illegal to sell used airbags in NY state. :wtc:

Funny thing is, you can still buy them from eBay when you're in NY state, it's the same as the "cigarettes to minors" laws (illegal to sell but not to buy so we'd appreciate it if you'd stop harassing us while we're smoking officer :tipshat: -circa 1997).

I assume most cheapasses in CA just remove the heat shields on a decent aftermarket cat and tell the inspection officer they fell off, since all of mine have always fallen off eventually (years before failing emissions tests). Please do not tell me CA forces you to get a new one when the heat shields fall off. :ohdear:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Red Robin Hood posted:

I live in 98332 and I own a 1989 B2200 regular cab.

I've looked under the bed of the truck and I do have a spare tire but I don't have one of those crank things to lower it. Can someone recommend where to pick one up? Should I get one from a pick-a-part? Any suggestions?

Yeah man, just get a second hand one - they're not a wear item and as long as the one you get isn't rusted to buggery it will do the job just fine.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Thank goodness I live in a county that doesn't even require emissions tests let alone super-cats.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mutata posted:

let alone super-cats.

Is there anything special about OEM converters sold in California vs. the other 49 states, or is it the same cat just at "we have a monopoly on the market" pricing?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Geoj posted:

Is there anything special about OEM converters sold in California vs. the other 49 states, or is it the same cat just at "we have a monopoly on the market" pricing?

The second one. Manufacturers figured out a while ago that having two different vehicle lines ("California" vs. "Federal") was stupid and a waste of money for them.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Aren't they built differently in order to filter out more of the bad poo poo that kills birds or whatever? Built to a higher standard?

I sure loving hope so :mad:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Astonishing Wang posted:

Aren't they built differently in order to filter out more of the bad poo poo that kills birds or whatever? Built to a higher standard?

My guess is they would just make 1 cat, the clean one, and sell them everywhere, but charge more where market conditions justify charging more (California). This is just me pulling theories out of my rear end and I'm an artist by profession, not an economist, so I'm probably full of poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
50-state legal probably has an actual meaning.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Astonishing Wang posted:

No, they're not. Back when CARB started doing the really restrictive poo poo they did this (which is where you'll see "Federal" vs. "California" cars), but manufacturers quickly discovered it was cheaper to just build to the CARB spec and sell that everywhere, so that's what they do.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I know as of the late 90s and early 00s Chrysler was still doing legitimately different builds/parts for 49-state/federal vs CA vehicles, but not sure about other makes or what happened after that really.

Also, enough states follow the utopian vision of cars loaded with four-figure components that fart rainbows... that it gets a little silly to build two versions of something now. Here's a list straight from wikipedia:

wikipedia posted:

States adopting the California standards include Arizona (2012 model year),[1] Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.[2][3]

Only a few states have the draconian smog inspections / CARB bureau requirements, but all those states either now require or have required for some time that vehicles meet the CA OEM specs for their model year.

Really makes engine swaps fun, too. I don't know how it works in CA but the federal requirement is that the engine donor be a later model year than the recipient chassis, and that all OEM emissions control equipment (yay miles of vacuum line! charcoal canisters! EVAP purge solenoids!) from the engine donor be swapped as well. Depending on how much of a nazi the person inspecting the vehicle is, you may even be required to include the donor transmission and other parts, as theoretically those could affect the fuel economy ratings :rolleyes: though that's rare and basically only brought up if you seem like a dick from what I've heard.

Various states and metropolitan areas are more or less stringent about this. I know in CT, all they care about is that it passes the sniffer test for your model year, they don't inspect your emissions system or compare it to anything. It's much the same in MA unless you really piss the guy off.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Living in California, I think everyone here just believes we are our own country. We have our own special cars, gas, guns, and weed!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think it's worth noting that CARB basically says, you have to meet these specific emissions requirements at the tailpipe. You can do whatever you want to get there. Separately, it says if you replace the cat you have to use the OEM cat.

So a manufacturer could get to the right emissions level using a lot of strategies, including a whiz-bang cat that costs $texas, but that's not necessarily the only way to get there. The requirement to use an OEM cat is probably based on the assumption that using a non-OEM one could make your car's emissions worse, even if they're still good enough to meet the state maximums.

If your car has a $1700 cat on it, my guess is it's because the manufacturer decided that was the best way to keep within emissions requirements. I don't think it has much to do with rarity or whatever. If you deliberately made your OEM cat replacements rare just to get a really high price in California, you'd suffer by selling zero OEM cats in the other 49 states as absolutely everyone would buy an aftermarket part instead. Whereas if you could sell your OEM cat for a reasonably competitive price, you'd sell a lot more in total.

But I'm just guessing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What if you don't replace it, and just put an aftermarket one on right behind it? Or in front of it if you have the room. It passes emissions, you haven't replaced the OEM cat, everyone's happy.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

I think it's worth noting that CARB basically says, you have to meet these specific emissions requirements at the tailpipe. You can do whatever you want to get there. Separately, it says if you replace the cat you have to use the OEM cat.

This keeps coming up. It says if you replace the cat, you have to use an approved cat. Not OEM.

Most popular vehicles have several approved aftermarket options, though pickings may be slimmer if you have a specialty trim level or an oddball engine choice.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Molten Llama posted:

This keeps coming up. It says if you replace the cat, you have to use an approved cat. Not OEM.

Most popular vehicles have several approved aftermarket options, though pickings may be slimmer if you have a specialty trim level or an oddball engine choice.

The Edmunds long-term test team dealt with this just now, they were able to repair their NSX with aftermarket cats for the low, low cost of $1200 installed. It beats the OEM equipment cost of $3700 they got quoted, at least.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtests/2012/10/1991-acura-nsx-second-smog-failure-diagnosis.html

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
While we're on the topic of exhaust, the rear heat shield on my Focus finally gave up and fell off of the fasteners again (it did years ago and I fixed it using stainless washers twice as wide as the factory nuts holding the shield in place.) The chances of getting it to remain in place were slim to none, as most of the threaded studs have rusted to the point where there are no threads to attach to so I just removed it completely rather than let it rattle against the exhaust and periodically drag on the road.

My question is am I likely to have issues with exhaust piping in close proximity to the fuel tank? I think the nearest the piping comes to the tank is 3 inches.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Geoj posted:

While we're on the topic of exhaust, the rear heat shield on my Focus finally gave up and fell off of the fasteners again (it did years ago and I fixed it using stainless washers twice as wide as the factory nuts holding the shield in place.) The chances of getting it to remain in place were slim to none, as most of the threaded studs have rusted to the point where there are no threads to attach to so I just removed it completely rather than let it rattle against the exhaust and periodically drag on the road.

My question is am I likely to have issues with exhaust piping in close proximity to the fuel tank? I think the nearest the piping comes to the tank is 3 inches.

Find someone to weld it back on. It's there for a reason.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

lolsroyce posted:

sounds like it's falling apart when I hit any kind of bump (started as a squeak, now sounds like metal hitting metal).

Motronic posted:

Typical Ford problem and yes, it's just that easy.
Like how typical? I got mine done at Belle Tire and I have been abusing the gently caress out of the lifetime warranty because they start making a lot of noise at 30-35k miles (like they are again).

And I really need to get under my car and weld the rear heat shield back on... and replace the muffler, but that can wait since I don't have to worry about inspections.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fire Storm posted:

Like how typical?

Like every garage around here does a set a week typically. This has something to do with the millions of late 90's early 2000s Explorers on the road as well as something to do with the OEM parts being poo poo.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
Why does every idiot with a diesel truck go and install some cockeyed "performance chip/tune/programming" that causes more trouble than anything else?

We've called our pcm janitor over three times this month to fix three loving diesel trucks the driver thought would become a hot rod by overriding the factory programming. Cue misfires, no starts, and ck engine codes for the wackiest poo poo.

:psyduck:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
two words for you... "smoke tune".

Most of the guys doing that dumb poo poo don't have an IQ above room temperature. In centigrade.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DrPain posted:

Find someone to weld it back on. It's there for a reason.

Kind of hard to weld paper-thin aluminum to steel. I'll have to fabricate something where the pipe comes close to the fuel tank.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DrPain posted:

Why does every idiot with a diesel truck go and install some cockeyed "performance chip/tune/programming" that causes more trouble than anything else?

Because it's a well known fact that there is a lot more power available in most diesels if you're willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort, durability, or driveability. That's without/before touching anything mechanical.

Then they go get an Internet kit or the local moron to take their money rather than getting it done properly.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

kastein posted:

two words for you... "smoke tune".

Most of the guys doing that dumb poo poo don't have an IQ above room temperature. In centigrade.

The blacker you make the prius behind you, the more power you have.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

DrPain posted:

every idiot with a diesel truck

4/20 smoke traffic e'ry day.

Weinertron posted:

The Edmunds long-term test team dealt with this just now, they were able to repair their NSX with aftermarket cats for the low, low cost of $1200 installed. It beats the OEM equipment cost of $3700 they got quoted, at least.

What are they doing with a 21-year-old car that they didn't buy new? :psyduck:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

I just bought a 27-year-old car used. :colbert:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Splizwarf posted:

4/20 smoke traffic e'ry day.

They sometimes get to buy really cool old cars just to write about the experience of putting 20k miles on say, a 1987 Grand National. They've done it with an old Ferrari, an M3, a C5 Corvette I think. In the case of the M3 and the corvette they really wanted to show what you're getting into if you DO buy that pristine 10 year old car for $25k and don't do you own repairs.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pretty dumb question from someone who knows very little about cars. Currently, I drive an '03 Corolla, before that I had a '00 Grand Am. Very soon I might be buying a 350z. That's a whole lot more car than I'm used to, and I've never driven RWD before. With winter not far away (RI / MA area) I'm definitely a little nervous about the whole ordeal.

How different will it be driving something with twice the power as I'm used to, in addition to RWD? Could I just find a track near by maybe and take it out for a day to get comfortable with it? Overall I'd consider myself a pretty decent driver for my age- I do a lot more driving than most people (100 miles per day full time for a few years, :toot:).

Also, generally speaking, what can I do to keep the car in as good of shape as possible? I planned on buying a cover for it, but other than routine oil changes I have no loving clue where to begin. Or rather I guess, where can I find good resources that are fairly comprehensive. A lot of the links in the Resource & Reference thread 404 :ohdear:

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 26, 2012

• Locked thread