Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thewhitehand
Sep 11, 2008
Raged so hard in the finals of an 8-4 last night. Opponent had Angel of Serenity, Armada Wurm, Collective Blessing and Trostani :'(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

How do people feel about walls.dec? It seems like if you can get a decent number of 3-4 power walls you can stall for bombs, and there are enough late pick powerful and expensive cards to make it worthwhile. The walls themselves also seem to be fairly good in RtR, so it's possible to win with nothing but lobber crew activations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It looks like fun but at the same time the mana seems to be a pain.

Currently in the finals with Rakdos. Been a good draft as I've cast every single card I drafted at one point.

Edit: My opponent is going four minutes between my plays. Classy.

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 22, 2012

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

NovemberMike posted:

How do people feel about walls.dec? It seems like if you can get a decent number of 3-4 power walls you can stall for bombs, and there are enough late pick powerful and expensive cards to make it worthwhile. The walls themselves also seem to be fairly good in RtR, so it's possible to win with nothing but lobber crew activations.

I mean, if you're going to go full-bore on walls, Doorkeeper will probably end up as a better wincon, especially if you pick up some tempo/removal cards to make sure they can't do anything meaningful. Lobber crew is a pretty slow clock unless you have a lot of multicolored spells.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I'm not talking about going full on walls, but using enough walls to stall for large threats. Something like 6-8 seems to be enough, and you use cards like lobber crew to put pressure on in the midgame and making the late game race more manageable.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

NovemberMike posted:

I'm not talking about going full on walls, but using enough walls to stall for large threats. Something like 6-8 seems to be enough, and you use cards like lobber crew to put pressure on in the midgame and making the late game race more manageable.

I go full on walls all the time at my FLGS, and if you can get Axebane Guardians I find that something as dumb as Axebane Stag is the best finisher for walls.dek, although a Soulsworn Spirit can be good in a pinch. Doorkeeper probably is better than Lobber Crew for finishers, and if you're on the Doorkeeper plan you need to get some Voidwielders in case you actually run into a good Golgari deck.

It's really a decent archetype.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I tried out lord of hats enchantment theme at the FLGS last Friday. It went pretty well, 3-1 losing only to the guy that went 4-0 with a brutal Azorius tempo thing. I think the key card in my deck, aside from getting four knightly valors and two ethereal armor, plus arrest, etc, was the fencing ace. A knightly valor or a common bond on him and he's running people over starting as early as turn 3. I highly encourage this, it's a lot of fun to be swinging for six on turn three. Obviously most any creature is going to dramatically improve with the enchantment buffs, but having double strike to double dip with is just over the top.

The following day I drafted with friends and got a hybrid golgari/rakdos aggro deck. Mostly rakdos, three rage mutts, a few shred freaks, a few tenement crashers, cacklers, and a dreg mangler. There is so much haste between those two guilds that you can keep insane amounts of pressure on the other guy. The lifelink on the mutts was absolutely amazing, especially with the rare scavenge. No one was happy to see me tapping out on turn five.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I just 3-0'ed a 4322 with a funky GWB thing. I'll post the draft tomorrow, didn't think it would work out at all but it came together.

Anyway, of equal interest was my 3rd round opponents deck: he was making the discard subtheme work. Game one he absolutely destroyed me with the 1/1 discard rats, a Mindrot, a Shrieking Affliction and a Stab Wound. I only had ground pounders so I couldn't get around the rats, and those plus the Mindrot dropped my hand down to 1-2 cards very quickly. At that point the board was a stalemate, a Stab Wound was going, my hand was low, and there was no way I could get an advantage and kill him without getting killed by the Shrieking Affliction first.

I was able to take game 2 and 3 because he was Rakdos and the pieces of the discard theme are pretty bad if they don't all come together. 1/1 discard rats are not what an aggro deck wants to be doing. Game one makes me think it might be viable, however, maybe as Golgari with some blue or white support for a fully control build.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
Is anyone else not really liking RTR that much? In theory you can do these cool things, but it seems like in practice on MODO swiss drafts one of two things happen:

1. The guild that you were forced to commit both colors to extremely early with crappy signals is open! You have the option of building around one of the build-around-me mechanics or an actually tight aggressive deck depending on the guild, have fun winning games!

2. The guild you were forced into isn't open, and there's no other guild that is! Since you were paying at least a little attention to signals that's because the person to your right is hopping around, and now since you have to hop around the person to your left gets screwed too. Now you draft a three-to-five color durdle deck and wait to see which player draws their bomb first, or a very crappy 3 color aggro deck.

I'm not losing as many games now that I know if I get no signal from my right it's time to grab fixing and be ready to build a crappy midrange deck, but it's not a lot of fun. Anyone else having similar experiences in the swiss queues/is it any better in the 8-4s?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

whateverfor posted:

Is anyone else not really liking RTR that much? In theory you can do these cool things, but it seems like in practice on MODO swiss drafts one of two things happen:

1. The guild that you were forced to commit both colors to extremely early with crappy signals is open! You have the option of building around one of the build-around-me mechanics or an actually tight aggressive deck depending on the guild, have fun winning games!

2. The guild you were forced into isn't open, and there's no other guild that is! Since you were paying at least a little attention to signals that's because the person to your right is hopping around, and now since you have to hop around the person to your left gets screwed too. Now you draft a three-to-five color durdle deck and wait to see which player draws their bomb first, or a very crappy 3 color aggro deck.

I'm not losing as many games now that I know if I get no signal from my right it's time to grab fixing and be ready to build a crappy midrange deck, but it's not a lot of fun. Anyone else having similar experiences in the swiss queues/is it any better in the 8-4s?

gently caress guilds, draft all 5 colors.

I'm not even joking, the mana is pretty good, you can get 3-5 colors pretty easily.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

whateverfor posted:

On average it might be a little bit better in 8-4s than Swiss, but it varies a lot. I watch a lot of streams and my least-favorite expression has come to be 'is this really an 8-4?!?' It's lost all meaning because the answer is always yes, and the sentiment is always false. People have this assumption that the quality of play/drafts in 8-4 drafts is going to be very tight, and yet in many (if not the majority of) drafts some clown will feel the need to say that when you see a 7th pick Auger Spree or a 12th pick Common Bond.

I think the signaling problems are probably due to the format being new. People open a good card in a specific guild and refuse to drop it, which leads to a lot of muddy tables. Even one dude forcing a guild can throw a table off by quite a bit.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The signalling problem is that the guilds are a trap right now. I've been having a lot of luck prioritizing bombs, removal and mana (with the order depending on how good the card is) and leaving all of the other stuff for later. If you pick up an off color guildgate then that allows you to move into two different colors if you see something good. Forcing a guild screws you over if even one of the colors gets choked off.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Just drafted this.

It worked pretty well. Went 2-1, lost to an aggressive UW deck when I stumbled on mana both games, I was otherwise close to stabilizing.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
Just went 2-1 with Izzet. This is the first time I've been able to draft RB, and it's the most fun I've had in RtR draft so far, even though I failed to win out. Frostburn Weird is a pretty great card.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Debating this one with a friend, his deck. I'm not familiar with the format but I feel like this is a bit of a misbuild. Thoughts?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Spiderdrake posted:

Debating this one with a friend, his deck. I'm not familiar with the format but I feel like this is a bit of a misbuild. Thoughts?

:stare:

I... whh... 4 Augur Spree...

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Well that's... huh.

Wow.

I really don't like the Shred-Freak very much and I think that Gore-House Chainwalker, Grim Roustabout and Dead Reveler are all usually quite a bit better. Cryptborn Horror also seems very mediocre. Perilous Shadow seems pretty good as a finisher given that you have literally every piece of removal in the world. Still, I figure you can build that deck however you want and still be fine.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

If he loses any games then make fun of him.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
I think I'd go Reveler, Glee, Roustabout and Chainwalker over Cryptborn Horror, Traitorous Instinct, a Shred-freak and maybe Street Spasm, since he already has all the removal in the world.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I like instinct in that deck it helps you push the last couple of points of damage in when they drop a big flier or something.
However, I don't think anything is going to stay alive to be stolen.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

JUst opened a bonkers sealed pool

I've never played a slower type Rakdos build before but I feel If i curve out or hit any of my bombs I should be in okay shape. I'm a little concerned about Frostburn being in there, but his booty is too good to ignore. Lobber Crew + Rakdos is pretty cute.

I also have a really solid bant deck in this, as I kinda layed out above. It's a shame by token heavy pools never have any populate. If it wasn't for pack rats, I honestly think the bant deck would be a little more solid.

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
Having not done great in my first 3 RtR tournaments with what I thought were good decks, I was kind of amused that this ridiculous creation went 3-0. My draft was a total mess till I picked up like three of the Axebane Guardians and the third Gatecreeper Vine in pack three. Then it was game on.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Yessssss. Embrace all five colors.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

meanolmrcloud posted:

JUst opened a bonkers sealed pool

I've never played a slower type Rakdos build before but I feel If i curve out or hit any of my bombs I should be in okay shape. I'm a little concerned about Frostburn being in there, but his booty is too good to ignore. Lobber Crew + Rakdos is pretty cute.

I also have a really solid bant deck in this, as I kinda layed out above. It's a shame by token heavy pools never have any populate. If it wasn't for pack rats, I honestly think the bant deck would be a little more solid.

I'd probably remove the pursuit of flight in favor of the second deviant glee. The ability may or may not be more relevant but you'll at least have the option to use it and the extra 1 toughness doesn't seem worth it. I've never liked sewer shamblers myself, but the scavenge ability is pretty solid for the cost. The rakdos charm is also interesting, it punishes people with token decks. It might not be a bad side option versus a populate deck if your rats angle doesn't work out for that game. I've had it deal 16 damage to me before, which is one of my favorite and most embarrassing losses in recent memory.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think Sewer Shambler is probably the second-best common Scavenge creature after the Scorpion, at least if you're going for a dedicated Golgari deck. It's cheap, so you can trade early and scavenger early onto good cheap targets like Daggerdrome Imp, and the swampwalk is far from irrelevant with all the Rakdos/Golgari/Junk/Grixis decks people can draft. And it fits fine in straight Rakdos decks too, unlike the Scorpion. It's just a really solid card that's easy to get value out of.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

A Sewer Shambler with Deviant Glee, Pursuit of Flight or scavenge counters is pretty brutal against any black deck, too. If it's good, it's very good. If it's not good, it's at least decent.

e: I was doing a Swiss draft with a friend last night. We were 0-2 with an average (very bad) Izzet deck. You normally expect the other 0-2 opponent's deck to be pretty bad, after all he hasn't won a match eithe--

:stonk:

TheGame fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 24, 2012

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Pro drafting strategy: Draft an Angel of Serenity every time.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I am a crazy person!

1-0 with this.

edit: 2-1; last match was pretty close but I lost game 2 to Pack Rat and game 3 to a swarm of other tokens plus a Stab Wound to do the last two after I stabilized. All the games I won were fun as heck.

In round two, I got to cast one spell with double Pyroconvergence out, but my opponent hit one with Vraska before I got to have too much fun :getin:

DontMockMySmock fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 24, 2012

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Ok, here's a draft. I'm not 100% sure on all my card picks for this deck, and I very nearly just went uw with the deck, but decided the red was worth it. Just lost my first match 1-2, had five mana, and needed a sixth to explosive impact for the win for about 3-4 rounds.
Suggestions for future deck building?

Whew, squeaked by against Golgari, 2-1. Deck's playing pretty well...wish I could've picked up a couple more really good white cards to replace the red, but the annihilating fire, thoughtflare, and explosive impact have really paid off.

Malgrin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 24, 2012

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
My only comment would be that Dramatic Rescue is super loving good and I never regret having one or two in my deck. I would probably drop the pinger or Runewing for it.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

McNutty posted:

My only comment would be that Dramatic Rescue is super loving good and I never regret having one or two in my deck. I would probably drop the pinger or Runewing for it.

Yeah, I ended up sideboarding it in almost every match. The pinger saved my rear end several times...against birds and saprolings.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

McNutty posted:

My only comment would be that Dramatic Rescue is super loving good and I never regret having one or two in my deck.

This. Additionally, I'd consider just swapping out red cards. You have Pegasus, Cancel, and Swift Justice as very playable options. The only real red cards I'd consider splashing are the Thoughtflare and Guttersnipe. Out of the board I could also see the pinger and the guildmage, depending on the matchup.

So I know the CC is going on, but I'm not super interested in the coverage. If anyone's interested, I'll be drafting some RtR in a few minutes. Done! Thanks for watching!

rinski fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 25, 2012

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

What's better than going 3-0 (6-0) in draft?

Doing it with a Golgari crap deck. Even better?

Beating your final round opponent's Game 1 turn 2 Pack Rat with no removal and just Golgari bullshit, then beating Game 2 Pack Rat with Trostani's Judgement out of nowhere, followed by fogging the Golgari Decoy-assisted 20 damage alpha strike and winning off of Stab Wound damage.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So my friend lived the dream in his last draft:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

It's early pack 3, you're firmly in Rakdos, and your only removal so far is 2 Auger Spree. Do you take a third Auger Spree, or an Annihilating Fire? Obviously Spree is better removal (also I had Carnival Hellsteed to live the dream by using it as pump but that's besides the point), but does the reach you get from Annihilating fire being burn and not +x/-x make it better when you already have two sprees? I took the Spree but felt like that might have been a mistake when I ended up with no burn.

Eibon
Oct 30, 2007

Brought to you by Fishy Joe's.

GonSmithe posted:

So my friend lived the dream in his last draft:

Apparently there's an actual Psychic Spiral deck where you draft Chronic Floodings and Codex Shredders, mill yourself until you get Spiral in your yard, Codex Shredder it back, and kill them.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

EnterYourNameHere posted:

It's early pack 3, you're firmly in Rakdos, and your only removal so far is 2 Auger Spree. Do you take a third Auger Spree, or an Annihilating Fire? Obviously Spree is better removal (also I had Carnival Hellsteed to live the dream by using it as pump but that's besides the point), but does the reach you get from Annihilating fire being burn and not +x/-x make it better when you already have two sprees? I took the Spree but felt like that might have been a mistake when I ended up with no burn.

I like Spree so much that I would keep grabbing it all day. I don't think Annihilating Fire would be dumb in that situation, though, as they're both great.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

EnterYourNameHere posted:

I guess I'd take Spree if just because I anticipate Rootborn Defense being more dangerous against me than Korozda Monitor and lower.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Drafted Izzetdos (Rakzzet?) today in a store draft and I really liked it. Teleportal and Blustersquall are so great, people die when they don't even think they're in danger of dying, like they're sitting at 12 life and the ground looks pretty gummed up and then you say "I'll overload Teleportal" and they look at you blankly, then read the card, then look at your unleashed Spawn of Rix Maddi, your Cobblebrute, and your Goblin Electromancer and their face just falls. Went 2-1 and came in second, only lost to an Azorius control deck that manaqed to stall the board out and get in with enough fliers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I finally uploaded an RtR draft video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGWkp-Buu-Q