Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Angels that drop neither grist nor exp.

Why were you so terrible, Eridan.

There're just so drat many though, and they're not gettin' any less bloody pissed is the thing.

Those angels are one of the weird lingering unimportant mysteries about sBurb. I'd love to find out what they were for. I have a feeling there's just going to be a lot of unexplained stuff after everything is said and done, just because it's not story-relevant and Hussie seems to like to leave some stuff open for fans to play with and interpret however they want to with the game's mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

Angels that drop neither grist nor exp.

Why were you so terrible, Eridan.
Eridan's not actually the Nice Guy. He's the person that game developers and testers refer to as That Guy. The one who will try to kill plot important NPCs just to see what happens, the one who'll find the loving edge of the map and try to jump off it just so he can post long screeds about RAILROADING!!!!!

He's a lot less terrible in light of Cronus. Now there's a dude that everyone can hate! Not even the more competent, post-scratch version is worth a drat. Calling in a hit from the Clown Mafia because your hate-date isn't paying you enough attention? Whatta fucker.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 26, 2012

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Seoinin posted:

Eridan's not actually the Nice Guy. He's the person that game developers and testers refer to as ThatGuy. The one who will try to kill plot important NPCs just to see what happens, the one who'll find the loving edge of the map and try to jump off it just so he can post long screeds about RAILROADING!!!!!

And then wonders why his party isn't helping him.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
No, he's definitely a Nice Guy, he's just not a sexual predator on top of it. I mean, sure, Cronus apparently only had the guts to make a move on Mituna, but that only makes it worse, if anything.

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Those angels are one of the weird lingering unimportant mysteries about sBurb. I'd love to find out what they were for. I have a feeling there's just going to be a lot of unexplained stuff after everything is said and done, just because it's not story-relevant and Hussie seems to like to leave some stuff open for fans to play with and interpret however they want to with the game's mechanics.

I'm thinking that they're either his consorts, or his planets version of fireflies/hummingbirds.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Wow, 100+ new posts? Something big must have happened.

:allears:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Stayton posted:

I'm thinking that they're either his consorts, or his planets version of fireflies/hummingbirds.

Angels: Yay, the Prince of Hope is coming to rescue us!
Angels: Prince, what are you
Angels: ....:gonk:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It's hard to say how much the "Dead." matters. After all, people are technically brought back from "death" every day, thanks to shock paddles and the like. Death is more of a gradual decline than the sharp binary condition we like to think of it as.

So either Kanaya is undead and healed because of all the blood she consumed, or she just barely held on to life, triggering a bunch of weird rare evolutionary traits and did all her chainsaw antics on pure troll-adrenaline and just healed normally over time.

Stayton posted:

That's what I always assumed, but I guess they could have been some sort of outside-the-game intruders, considering all the other weird angel things that have popped up.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Bobulus posted:

It's hard to say how much the "Dead." matters. After all, people are technically brought back from "death" every day, thanks to shock paddles and the like. Death is more of a gradual decline than the sharp binary condition we like to think of it as.

So either Kanaya is undead and healed because of all the blood she consumed, or she just barely held on to life, triggering a bunch of weird rare evolutionary traits and did all her chainsaw antics on pure troll-adrenaline and just healed normally over time.

That's what I always assumed, but I guess they could have been some sort of outside-the-game intruders, considering all the other weird angel things that have popped up.

Shock paddles can only help you if your heartbeat has become arrhythmic, so they aren't as useful as you might think.

Also, I'm pretty sure kanaya still has a bigass hole through her belly.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Maybe the traditional way for jade-blooded trolls to raise new mother grubs is for them to incubate them inside themselves and then the mother grub bursts our of their gut facehugger style - generations of this has made all jadeblooded trolls grow immunity to having holes nuked in their torsoes, and they keep all their internal organs in other parts of their body for safekeeping.

The downside is that next time kanaya stubbs her toe she may acctdentally have a heart attack because her heart is in her foot.

Anyway I'm expecting the next few panels to zoom in on the grate where gamzee is fondly regarding the miracle of a new beginning like a fuckin peeping tom getting mad jazzed on interspecies lesbian kidsmooches

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I think the angels might actually be important. I can't find it in the archives thanks to typing quirks, but someone said that angels are "terrible feathered demons that paradox space uses to usher in the end" or something similar. And remember the following set of lines from Doc Scratch:

Doc Scratch posted:

Would it be so difficult to believe a young lady could be unwittingly apprenticed by more powerful entities who meant her potential to be realized later through some arbitrary trigger?

What would you say if I said a dutiful girl raised in the daylight was protected by a bulb-headed guardian, and learned to glow in the dark after death?

What would you say if I said a vengeful boy on a path of nihilism was taken under the wings of fearsome angels, and learned to destroy hope with their light?

What would you say if I said a reserved girl enamored by what dwelt in shadow was selected by the horrorterrors for service, and did their bidding at every step while convinced of her own autonomy?

Of course, he never actually made any statements so this could be completely misleading, but I don't see what incentive he'd have to make stuff up about Eridan of all people. (If he even was talking about Eridan. I've just noticed that "vengeful boy on a path of nihilism" would be a better description of Caliborn than Eridan, and Eridan didn't exactly let himself be taken under their wings. And we still don't know how Caliborn became Lord English... :tinfoil:)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This is going much too well.

Right now, Hussie is eyeing his secret Story Machine that runs off human despair with a completely impassive look on his face.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Oxxidation posted:

This is going much too well.

Right now, Hussie is eyeing his secret Story Machine that runs off human despair with a completely impassive look on his face.
Spot-on. I wager it has the following buttons:

[Initiate Clown Murder]
[Romantic Rejection]
[STAIRS HAPPEN]
[Kill John]

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Welp, after all the hints that Rose and Kanaya was A Thing, when it finally happened it couldn't possibly have been less romantic. Hussie :allears:

Also, "teach me all the quadrants" seems like it'd be a ridiculously vulgar thing to say in troll society. Kanaya's probably just wide-eyed in shock at the sheer impropriety of what she just heard

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Roger Explosion posted:

Spot-on. I wager it has the following buttons:

[Initiate Clown Murder]
[Romantic Rejection]
[STAIRS HAPPEN]
[Kill John]

Hey, he's almost in a position to press all four of these at once right now. I wonder what would happen if John's dream holo-projection got rainbow barfed on... I guess it'd probably just pop as usual, but conceivably there might be some sort of feedback effect. (Won't happen now, but you never know.)

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Suaimhneas posted:

Welp, after all the hints that Rose and Kanaya was A Thing, when it finally happened it couldn't possibly have been less romantic. Hussie :allears:

Also, "teach me all the quadrants" seems like it'd be a ridiculously vulgar thing to say in troll society. Kanaya's probably just wide-eyed in shock at the sheer impropriety of what she just heard

Kanaya seeing Rose doing ridiculously vulgar things is not new.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Suaimhneas posted:

Well... it's not without precedent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is nice. I just hope it keeps and doesn't get awkward after she sobers up.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

For the first time in my life, I actually wanted to check Tumblr and see hordes of squabbling children crying how they reacted to this.

I know that the chances of this being related to the update are super low, but a man can dream :allears:

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

I think the angels might actually be important. I can't find it in the archives thanks to typing quirks, but someone said that angels are "terrible feathered demons that paradox space uses to usher in the end" or something similar.

This page?

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Wrist Watch posted:

For the first time in my life, I actually wanted to check Tumblr and see hordes of squabbling children crying how they reacted to this.

I know that the chances of this being related to the update are super low, but a man can dream :allears:

Tumblr is pretty much united in celebration actually. It's like when Obama won the election in 2008 and you had pictures of everyone around the world crying and hugging. I wouldn't be surprised if the batch of East Coasters who just woke up and read it sent it into overload.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Man, I hate Kanaya's typing gimmick, but I want to know more about troll romance for some reason. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Tumblr is pretty much united in celebration actually. It's like when Obama won the election in 2008 and you had pictures of everyone around the world crying and hugging. I wouldn't be surprised if the batch of East Coasters who just woke up and read it sent it into overload.

Even the sourest and most deluded of shippers (of something this contradicts) couldn't help but be made happy by this.

I must believe this.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

Rooreelooo posted:

Anyway I'm expecting the next few panels to zoom in on the grate where gamzee is fondly regarding the miracle of a new beginning like a fuckin peeping tom getting mad jazzed on interspecies lesbian kidsmooches

Fuckin' miracles, man.

HONK

*slowly leaves with the stupid grin he always has on his face*

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

Fuckin' miracles, man.

HONK

*slowly leaves with the stupid grin he always has on his face*

Well, the stupid grin IS back in time for him to meet with Jane.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Regy Rusty posted:

Even the sourest and most deluded of shippers (of something this contradicts) couldn't help but be made happy by this.

I must believe this.

Anyone who would be against this development is a literal monster. Hairy, smelly, snaggle-toothed, and unfashionable. That's all there is to be said about it.

VVV see below

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 26, 2012

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Regy Rusty posted:

I must believe this.

I'm not. :colbert:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

While adorable, this is a dangerous part of the story to be having your romantic relationships in. Several relationships have popped up in the intermissions so far but they haven't had a great survival track record. Then you throw in killer Gamzee ready to cause trouble and the increasingly convoluted relationship web of the meteor and, well...

Of course perhaps the most audience-teasing resolution would be to just have them suddenly be broken up after the next year-long time-skip over some sort of offscreen drama never directly explained.

Let's not think about that at the moment. The poor girls deserve a bit of happiness!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dangit you two, we're on the verge of Horrorstuck v2, and everybody knows the openly amourous couple in the teen slasher movie is the first to get killed.

It was pretty adorable though. :3:

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009
Aside from Slick/Snowman, is this the first kiss in Homestuck that didn't involve reviving a dead player?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Scale Model Giant posted:

Aside from Slick/Snowman, is this the first kiss in Homestuck that didn't involve reviving a dead player?
Does Gamzee kissing dead players for no productive purpose count?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Vriska kissed Tavros way back in Hivebent

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Vriska kissing Tavros in the web.

Edit: gently caress, beaten like Rose's liver.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
This was a wonderful thing to wake up to. Drunken Rose got GAME. Slurred game, but game nonetheless.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Looking through some old pesterlogs and found this from Aranea:

AG: No. I can empathize.
AG: She was a serious trou8lemaker in your party. Many player groups have to deal with those.
AG: I feel as though we had one of the worst cases in our party. 8ut when all was said and done, she was still our friend.

Meenah or Damara? You's think Damara completely paralyzing Rufioh and constantly loving everyone over with timepowers would be worse than Meenah's antics.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Luminous Obscurity posted:

"Yes We Kanaya!"

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009

SteelAngel2000 posted:

Vriska kissed Tavros way back in Hivebent

Right, that whole act was such a tumultuous blur of teen angst it's hard to remember the specifics.

Also in retrospect I'm totally counting John and Gamzee in [S] DD: Ascend more casually. :colbert:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Eridan killed angels so that nobody else had to. He heroically shouldered the angel-slaughter duties when nobody else were willing to help. He was a drat hero.

Also, this update was mad adorbs, yo.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
How is everyone forgetting Robosmooch? The kiss that preceded the first major update gap. The kiss that drove everyone crazy.

And I know this conversation passed but the only problem I have with Kankri is taking perfectly fine concepts (like trigger warnings, which are good to avoid people having traumatic stress / phobic reactions to things like rape or abuse) and ONLY associating them with the bad social justice version (Tumblr users literally tagging "tw: homestuck" which basically equates "triggering" with "annoyed by"). So basically the whole concept, that was ALREADY diluted, is just kind of further ruined which kind of blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

>Rose: Teach the alien babe the ways of human love. Be the Kirk.