Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I would argue that sniping actually becomes more useful simply because guys do so much damage that it really helps to clear the field before you engage. That said, you can't use it exclusively, and Cunning's Death Blossom ability is pretty drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Having now played all four base game classes to 50, I think I can honestly say that Death Blossom is the best ultimate skill in the game, with Many Must Fall a somewhat distant second. Unfortunately, gunzerking is far and away the most useful skill in the entire game for a litany of reasons, chief among them being the fact that its usefulness scales with your gear.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Oh and in case people don't follow Gearbox on Twitter, they've already announced when all of the golden key giveaways will be this weekend. Each one will be time limited instead of redemptions limited so they'll be good for 3 hours. First one will be posted at 6 PM Central today. They're really all over the place time-wise so non-US people should be able to get a couple too.

http://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/951/borderlands-2-golden-keys-incoming

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

The Rokstar posted:

Random question - where are some good places to run a lot of quick chests? I feel like compulsively looting for a while.

The Fridge has a pretty quick run with a normal green chest, a green dahl, and a red dahl on one side of the area. You just have to figure out which one of the 3 switches kills the power.

And a longer run with a lot more rats then ends at Rahkman. I cant remember how many chests are there total, but there should 2-3 more than the other area.

Or could just run the arid badlands for the 2 red chests which should take 5-6 minutes total along with killing Bonehead.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

The Rokstar posted:

Random question - where are some good places to run a lot of quick chests? I feel like compulsively looting for a while.

Bugsy posted:

The Fridge has a pretty quick run with a normal green chest, a green dahl, and a red dahl on one side of the area. You just have to figure out which one of the 3 switches kills the power.

And a longer run with a lot more rats then ends at Rahkman. I cant remember how many chests are there total, but there should 2-3 more than the other area.

Or could just run the arid badlands for the 2 red chests which should take 5-6 minutes total along with killing Bonehead.
Arid Badlands was my choice for chest farming. One on top of the grenade store, one in Zed's after sniping the electrical fuse and one on the building by Saturn.

The Wildlife has a nice run too, especially if you have the Natural Selection Nexus. There's 2 vertical yellow chests and 1 big red chest, and another red chest if you head back to the docks with the big crane.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Is sniper spec for Zer0 on TVHM pretty useless then? I ripped through normal mode with it, have tons of perks and mods equipment for sniper damage/critical hit damage. I've loved playing this way so far, but the enemies move so fast in thhm I can barely even get criticals. Is it just unorthodox to go that route in that mode pretty much?

I wouldn't say useless, but I was Sniper spec till the earlyish 40s and respecced Cunning, very happy I did. I still had enough points too pick up B0r3 so I was able to farm Bnk3r to finish levelling to 50.

The throwing stars while stealthed are a nice bonus and I feel like I'm getting more use out of my passives. Late Sniper tree is all about the Sniper Rifle, which I still use often, but I frequently find myself switching to pistols/SMGs/shotguns depending on the situation.

Give it a shot, respec costs are absurdly cheap so it costs almost nothing to switch back. (If I recall it was something like 13k when I was in the process of burning off 3mil on slots)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Frankly I wish they'd redesign the latter half of the sniping tree to broaden it beyond one gun type. Make it the tree that lets you snipe with anything or something; Optic already helps with that but abilities that reduce recoil or make bullets home in on a target would be great. At the moment it just feels like they got halfway through the tree and just said "Fuckit, just use sniper rifles from here on out," which is disappointing when most of the other classes and trees do a good job of not exploiting one weapon to the exclusion of all others. Even if they just removed the sniper rifle's requirement and made it the Headshot tree, some of those high tier skills would be fantastic with a shotgun or pistol.

Xidus
Aug 7, 2000
I inadvertently got converge to drop enemies into lava pits (in Hyperion Slaughter Dome). Now I want to do that all the time everywhere :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What exactly is NG+ like in this game? Do the quests and enemies and loot scale with your level, or are they fixed and just a multiple or something above what they are the first time around?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Xidus posted:

I inadvertently got converge to drop enemies into lava pits (in Hyperion Slaughter Dome). Now I want to do that all the time everywhere :(

I basically beat Jedi Academy by using Force Grip that way.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

What exactly is NG+ like in this game? Do the quests and enemies and loot scale with your level, or are they fixed and just a multiple or something above what they are the first time around?

For TVHM which is Playthrough 2 in this game the enemies and loot scale with the quest you are on. The slot machines and shops in Sanctuary scale with the main questline. All of the enemies/loot/shop machines scale with the appropriate quest level for the particular area. UNTIL you beat TVHM, at which point you're in Playthrough 2.5 and everything scales up to 50, everywhere.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Samurai Sanders posted:

The levels scale to you like PT1, with nothing carrying over from the first run. So, if you start PT2 at level 35 it goes from there, if you start at 30 then your first quest is level 30.

Once you beat it then everything jumps to 50 including all quests/loot.

The guns/shields are much much stronger. I started NG+ and tossed out 2 purples and 2 blues from finishing normal for all green guns within 20 minutes. The class mods are also probably much better but I have a very good purple one from saturn (I think) so I'm still holding on to it for now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Monkey Fracas posted:

For TVHM which is Playthrough 2 in this game the enemies and loot scale with the quest you are on. The slot machines and shops in Sanctuary scale with the main questline. All of the enemies/loot/shop machines scale with the appropriate quest level for the particular area. UNTIL you beat TVHM, at which point you're in Playthrough 2.5 and everything scales up to 50, everywhere.
So that's what TVHM is? I've only heard the abbreviation, I had no idea what it means (still don't).

So, on the third playthrough everything is level 50? Is the game difficult like that, or not?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

The second playthough goes about 25-30 levels higher then the quests in the first playthrough but it doesn't scale so if you have a completionist mindset like I do you will be overleveled at points.

This isn't a problem though because playthrough 2 is much more deadly, damage increases at a much higher rate then in playthrough 2. Enemies within a wider range of levels are still dangerous.

After you finish the final story quest in playthrough 2 everything will level up to 50 or more including quests you did not accept. Thus many people rush through playthrough two with the bare minimum of side quests needed to level in order to reach 2.5 and get unique weapons leveled to 50.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
oh NM about what I said then. I thought the quests scaled to your level rather than a set point.

Xyretire
May 22, 2003
Lickin' the Gun.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So that's what TVHM is? I've only heard the abbreviation, I had no idea what it means (still don't).

So, on the third playthrough everything is level 50? Is the game difficult like that, or not?

TVHM is True Vault Hunter Mode. It is the second time going through the game with a character. Once you beat TVHM all quests that you haven't picked up as well as all enemies and loot scale up to level 50. This is referred to as PT2.5. There is no third time through the game with a character.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Kifisonfire posted:

Arid Badlands was my choice for chest farming. One on top of the grenade store, one in Zed's after sniping the electrical fuse and one on the building by Saturn.

The Wildlife has a nice run too, especially if you have the Natural Selection Nexus. There's 2 vertical yellow chests and 1 big red chest, and another red chest if you head back to the docks with the big crane.

I don't know where you stand to snipe the fuse box because I never found an angle where I could see it. I always just stood a ways back and bounced an e-tech round off the tiny wall next to the fuse box. You can get the required angle standing pretty close to the electrified door, maybe a 2-3 seconds run away.

I did the same thing in Eridium Blight with the fuse box that is on the very tall tower/wall at the first intersection you get to

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xyretire posted:

TVHM is True Vault Hunter Mode. It is the second time going through the game with a character. Once you beat TVHM all quests that you haven't picked up as well as all enemies and loot scale up to level 50. This is referred to as PT2.5. There is no third time through the game with a character.
Oh, so after TVHM the world just opens up, with everything at level 50? Is that very much fun, without quests and things?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

abaddonis posted:

I don't know where you stand to snipe the fuse box because I never found an angle where I could see it. I always just stood a ways back and bounced an e-tech round off the tiny wall next to the fuse box. You can get the required angle standing pretty close to the electrified door, maybe a 2-3 seconds run away.

I did the same thing in Eridium Blight with the fuse box that is on the very tall tower/wall at the first intersection you get to

Explosives are great for getting tricky fuse boxes like these. Just fire a rocket or a longbow grenade near enough to it.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Quick question about the pirate DLC:

Does it scale to your level in PT1?
Is it worth waiting till after beating the warrior, or just jump in at any point?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, so after TVHM the world just opens up, with everything at level 50? Is that very much fun, without quests and things?

most people say run only the story missions in PT2 and then pickup the side quests once everything is 50 to maximize your loot. So you can still have fun farming bosses and finishing up sidequests. Once you've got that sewn up I suppose its either start a new character or shelve the game and wait for DLC.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Geokinesis posted:

Is it worth waiting till after beating the warrior, or just jump in at any point?

I completed PT1 at around level 34 and started the DLC. DLC enemies (bosses as well) were leveled at around 30-31. All drops were for around that level as well.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
So I just noticed that I can use love thumper to force the no shields skills making Maya a marathon runner. I managed to do the treasure room glitch and boy is it awesome getting a two fer Maggie, Veruc and Gub.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Geokinesis posted:

Scales to a max of 30 on PT1.

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.

abaddonis posted:

Run up the legs of the water tower that is on its side. It's directly opposite from the fuse box.

Xidus
Aug 7, 2000
Is there a page somewhere with a collection of "stuff you probably didn't know"?

Like how amp shields apply their bonus to each bullet from a shotgun blast, giving a ridiculous total bonus. Or how different elements have different DoT durations. Stuff like that.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Man I hope they use all those vending machine voice clips somewhere. I'm envisioning the final DLC being some Rainbow-Road-like gun paradise where it randomly rains guns and there are manufacturer-specific vending machines as far as the eye can see. It'll be like the end of Being John Malkovitch except with guns instead of Malkovitches.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man I hope they use all those vending machine voice clips somewhere. I'm envisioning the final DLC being some Rainbow-Road-like gun paradise where it randomly rains guns and there are manufacturer-specific vending machines as far as the eye can see. It'll be like the end of Being John Malkovitch except with guns instead of Malkovitches.

That sounds goddamn amazing please email this idea to Randy TIA :swoon:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Marogareh posted:

So I just noticed that I can use love thumper to force the no shields skills making Maya a marathon runner. I managed to do the treasure room glitch and boy is it awesome getting a two fer Maggie, Veruc and Gub.

What's this glitch?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
It was posted a few pages ago but here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gcMGXaLWXQ&feature=related

It's a bit finicky but once you get it you can do it all the time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'm getting close to finishing the main storyline on my second play through and I hit level 50 on my Zer0. Any suggestions for farming targets? So far Conference Call, a level 50 Bee, a Hellfire and a Bitch are my list.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 26, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is one of the upcoming DLCs supposed to change the level cap?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samurai Sanders posted:

They haven't announced for sure, but the achievement for hitting 50 is called "Maxed out... for now" so it's pretty much guaranteed that they will. There's also apparently going to eventually be a story reset option.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I wonder if we're ever going to find a vault that doesn't have a horrible monster inside. Maybe there's one where a bunch of eridians have been chilling out for hundreds or thousands of years in identical skin tight suits like Fallout. And we can mow them down with machine guns a la Fallout 2's opening cinematic.

GammaShade
Oct 10, 2005

CG: Boggle vacantly at these shenanigans.

Samurai Sanders posted:

One of the promo shots of Gaige shows her having more skill points than there are levels for, so I'd say it's likely.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

GammaShade posted:

One of the promo shots of Gaige shows her having more skill points than there are levels for, so I'd say it's likely.

Thats very good to see as I had not seen it before. She should be either level 59 or 60 in the shot.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

BGrifter posted:

I'm getting close to finishing the main storyline on my second play through and I hit level 50 on my Zer0. Any suggestions for farming targets? So far Conference Call, a level 50 Bee, a Hellfire and a Bitch are my list.

A Maggie is pretty drat good and maybe the infinity.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Also someone using the Babymaker completely trivialized a super boss in the last thread. Hyperius, I want to say. Just stood in front of him shooting once and reloading. Had him dead before he finished his introductory animations. This is a boss that takes most people an hour at least to fight "fair."

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Codes are out:
http://twitter.com/GearboxSoftware
http://www.facebook.com/borderlandsgame
AND GUESS WHAT!? EACH SITE HAS DIFFERENT CODES! MEANING YOU GET TWICE AS MANY KEYS IF YOU ENTER BOTH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Feeble posted:

Codes are out:
http://twitter.com/GearboxSoftware
http://www.facebook.com/borderlandsgame
AND GUESS WHAT!? EACH SITE HAS DIFFERENT CODES! MEANING YOU GET TWICE AS MANY KEYS IF YOU ENTER BOTH!

Mind cut and pasting the Facebook ones? Don't have a Facebook account.

• Locked thread