Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r3plica
Feb 29, 2008

brc64 posted:

I've noticed a weird issue recently. It may have been happening ever since I flashed MeanROM, but I only started noticing it the past few days.

It seems whenever I receive a text message, my cellular radio dies for about 5 seconds. I'm aware that the radio drops to 1x to send/receive SMS, but this happens after the message is received. I get the "No service" icon, and even confirmed by going into settings that Mobile Network was unavailable because there was no connection.

It recovers automatically, within a few seconds generally, but Wtf?

I've noticed the same thing on my e3d with meanrom as well. I just chalked it up to service being lovely here in NE Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Jose Cuervo posted:

I'm posting this here because I don't know if there is a better place to put it. my family and I were originally on a Sprint voice plan. In the last 8 months or so, when people would call me one of the three following things would happen:

1. I would be able to pick up the phone and take the call as normal,
2. The phone would only ring once before going silent, or
3. I would pick the phone up, but when I spoke whatever I said would be echoed back to me, and the person on the other line would hear nothing, and then either me other the other person would hang up.

This problem occurred no matter where I was (North Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland were all places it happened), and even when I have full signal. I put this down to the fact that the (dumb) flip phone I was using was nearing 7 years old. About a month ago we upgraded to a data plan, and I got a smart phone (Samsung Galaxy S2). However the problem described above continued even with the new phone. After calling Sprint support and describing the problem, they had me troubleshoot the phone (where they got me to turn it off, they said they sent some signals, and then turned the phone back on again). They had me take the phone to a Sprint repair store, where the guy told me that the speakerphone and microphone were faulty, so I had the unit replaced. However the problem still persists, even with the new unit (still a Samsung Galaxy S2).

The people at Sprint phone help say it is not a network issue (since the problem occurs in different locations, and when I have great signal strength), and it must be an issue with the device. The people in the Sprint repair store say it must be a network issue, and not the device, since the same problems have persisted across 3 devices.

Does anyone have any ideas of what might be causing the type of problem described above?

I had this exact problem with my line, for a while actually. The only thing I could think of is that it was an issue with Google Voice (do you have it?) but I never did figure it out. It wouldn't do it if I used the command from my PC through GV to make a call though. It stopped after about four months, to be replaced by an issue where sometimes if I call someone on T-Mobile it'll ring and ring and then give me a busy signal, with the people I'm calling never receiving any call at all. It's preferable to my earlier problem, I guess. Good luck figuring it out :(

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

r3plica posted:

I've noticed the same thing on my e3d with meanrom as well. I just chalked it up to service being lovely here in NE Ohio.

It was actually getting REALLY bad today, and not even directly tied to text messages anymore. I did a PRL update and so far it hasn't happened again yet. I'll keep an eye on it...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm having a tough time finding info on s4gru.com... is there a minimum donation to have access to the maps, etc? I figured I'll throw them like $20, but wanted to make sure I'll be able to check out the maps with that.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm having a tough time finding info on s4gru.com... is there a minimum donation to have access to the maps, etc? I figured I'll throw them like $20, but wanted to make sure I'll be able to check out the maps with that.

No minimum, I only gave :10bux:.

You will be able to see the interactive maps with a sponsor donation.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey
Do the maps show what towers were upgraded after they put out the weekly network vision update? They just started my region so I'm interested.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Giblet posted:

Do the maps show what towers were upgraded after they put out the weekly network vision update? They just started my region so I'm interested.

Yes, it shows the towers broken out by each vendor doing the updates, along with the towers upgraded and/or past due.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

DoctorJones posted:

I'm a Sprint Customer and pay monthly for the insurance. I've had no problems replacing my busted phones. The thing is, I really like the phones with the slideout keyboards. The EVO Shift being my favorite. I replaced my original one, but when I replaced the second one, the Shift was on backorder and I was given the Samsung GalaxyS which I'm not real fond of. If I go into the store to replace it, will it be replaced with another GalaxyS or will they give me something comparable? Also do any of them have slideout keyboards?
If you've got your heart set on a keyboard, a service exchange will very likely be just another Samsung Epic. There are a handful of other phones they'll let us swap it for, but none with keyboards that I'm aware of.

If you wanted to upgrade, the Motorola Photon Q has a keyboard and it's a step up from either of those spec-wise, but they don't seem to be all that reliable.

allcowseatgrass
Sep 30, 2007

allcowseatgrass posted:

Ok thanks guys. I snatched a like-new one from ebay for 85$.

I know this was a few pages ago, but a very special thanks is due to Duckman2008, ThermoPhysical, and Grumpwagon. I seriously was never considering the nexus mostly because I forgot about it. I've had the thing ~2 hours and already I'm back to the smug android user with USABLE unlimited data plan camp. Seriously, the thing somehow conjures from the ether a usable signal where the evo would just sit there and mock me. So as I sit here at work and actually am able to stream audio, I have to raise my double-gulp of mountain dew to you all. Now if it stays like this, I can stand to stay with Sprint while they get their poo poo together.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

If you've got your heart set on a keyboard, a service exchange will very likely be just another Samsung Epic. There are a handful of other phones they'll let us swap it for, but none with keyboards that I'm aware of.

If you wanted to upgrade, the Motorola Photon Q has a keyboard and it's a step up from either of those spec-wise, but they don't seem to be all that reliable.

You touched on it, but I can't emphasize enough how terrible the photon Q is.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
My phone connected to LTE in downtown Austin today for like 15 seconds. I got awful download and then lost all data service right after, but it means they are doing work in downtown today.

Does s4gru have any more updates on Austin?

Colonelfarva
May 3, 2006
I'm renewing my contract soon and my Evo 4G is starting to show it's age (although I love this loving thing). Is the galaxy s3 still the go-to phone for Android users, or is there something coming down the line I should wait for? Given Samsung's previous reputation with new phones, I'm inclined to just grab an S3 but I don't know if this has changed as I haven't really followed phones for about two years.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Duckman2008 posted:

Why is it lovely?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Duckman2008 posted:

Is it really that bad? We've only sold a couple in our store, so I don't have much experience with them. One return and some intermittent freezing. Not as bad as the EVO LTE, but I guess there are a lot fewer out there.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Just looked at that S4GRU website and holy planned Delaware rollouts :psypop:

Maybe I should stick around a little and see what happens after my contract ends in April.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
OTA for Jellybean on S3 starts tomorrow.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Colonelfarva posted:

I'm renewing my contract soon and my Evo 4G is starting to show it's age (although I love this loving thing). Is the galaxy s3 still the go-to phone for Android users, or is there something coming down the line I should wait for? Given Samsung's previous reputation with new phones, I'm inclined to just grab an S3 but I don't know if this has changed as I haven't really followed phones for about two years.
Yeah, grab the SGS3.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Allaniis posted:

OTA for Jellybean on S3 starts tomorrow.

Source?

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=33215433&postcount=4202

EDIT: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/101426

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 25, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TVs Ian posted:

Is it really that bad? We've only sold a couple in our store, so I don't have much experience with them. One return and some intermittent freezing. Not as bad as the EVO LTE, but I guess there are a lot fewer out there.

Every one that I sold has come back defective except 2 I think. And it seems laggy. That's enough for me to tell people to get the S3, so that is what I do.

And yes the S3 is still the go to android phone unless you want the note 2.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yup, kernel source has been posted. It's a bit of a disappointing mess though. I was hoping it would be a clean rebase on the Qualcomm 3.4 tree, instead of a bastard patched 3.0 tree. Which CM10 was already doing.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My brother just got an Iphone 4s with a clean esn from his friend (upgraded), can I unlock it so he can use it on Sprint?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

There are two iPhone 4S CDMA models. Verizon and Sprint. Each company maintains a separate whitelist of ESNs that they allow on their network. You cannot "unlock" one to work on Sprint if it is not a Sprint iPhone. And vice versa onto Verizon.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
FYI: If you're running CM10, I'd suggest checking out today's (10/25) nightly, especially if you're in one of the first round NV/LTE markets. Looking at the changelogs I noticed this in the list of patches that were committed.

quote:

The old Sprint CDMA MMS apn uses the same MCC/MNC pair (310120) and apn
type ("default") as Sprint's LTE/eHRPD service. Thus, Sprint LTE devices
attempt to connect to LTE/eHRPD services using the old CDMA MMS apn first,
which usually fails, and thus delays service establishment.

However, occasionally service "successfully" connects with the CDMA MMS
apn, for unknown reasons, at which point that apn is set as the preferred
apn for LTE connections. Thus, any subsequent LTE/eHRPD connection attempt
fails due to use of the wrong apn.

By removing the old CDMA MMS apn, LTE/eHRPD connections will use the
appropriate apns. Furthermore
com.android.mms.transaction.TransactionSettings::TransactionSettings does
not query the bearer field when looking for valid MMS apns, so the
LTE/eHRPD will continue to work on non-LTE Sprint devices.

I can't pinpoint exactly when it started, but sometime around the M2 release I started having all kinds of issues getting/keeping a data connection. As an example, for lunch I usually go grab a sandwich and then come back and sit in my car listening to the radio while I eat. There's been a few days since I started having this issue where even toggling mobile data/airplane mode or rebooting multiple times over the span of a half hour I still couldn't get a data connection. If I was lucky I might have a tiny sliver of 3G, just enough to be frustrating. After flashing today's nightly, in the same spot I get full bars of LTE and mobile data connects instantly.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
O.G. Sero customer finally upgrading my awful kyocera echo to a galaxy note 2.I know everyone in this thread recommends calling the number, but I did everything online and it seemed to have worked out pretty smoothly.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Note/Note 2 owners, I really have to ask: where do you put the drat thing? Does everyone but me wear cargo pants everyday?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

change my name posted:

Note/Note 2 owners, I really have to ask: where do you put the drat thing? Does everyone but me wear cargo pants everyday?

It's really pretty thin. I can easily fit the S3 in the pockets of my slim jeans. I think if it was thicker, that's where the problem would come in.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

change my name posted:

Well since its winter time, I will most likely put it in a jacket or hoodie pocket. When I'm at my job the attire is business casual and dress pants have larger than normal pockets.

90% of the time though my phones tend to be on my office's desk, in my car's cupholder or on some other surface.

dundun fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 26, 2012

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Is there a way to shut off the camera sounds on a stock evo 3d with the ICS update? It used to be a toggle, but now it's gone with the update. It'd be nice to take pictures of my newborn son without a loud "bzzzzzzzzrg... CLICK" Waking him up.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I really wish my upgrade was up so I could get the Note 2. I have a buddy with the original Note and I love the size of the screen.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

chizad posted:

FYI: If you're running CM10, I'd suggest checking out today's (10/25) nightly, especially if you're in one of the first round NV/LTE markets. Looking at the changelogs I noticed this in the list of patches that were committed.

Thanks for this update - I've got an EVO 4G LTE and my data connection has been really flaky over the past couple weeks (using this CM10 ROM). When I have gotten LTE, speeds have been pretty good (4-6Mbps down, .35 - 2.57Mbps up over a few speed tests), but it'd be nice to have stable connections.

(Also, I've had weird issues even with my wifi. At times, I've wondered why I bothered to go to a non-Sense ROM, since I was having pretty good luck with Fresh ROM, but maybe this'll seal the deal.)

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

iluvpr0n posted:

Thanks for this update - I've got an EVO 4G LTE and my data connection has been really flaky over the past couple weeks (using this CM10 ROM). When I have gotten LTE, speeds have been pretty good (4-6Mbps down, .35 - 2.57Mbps up over a few speed tests), but it'd be nice to have stable connections.

(Also, I've had weird issues even with my wifi. At times, I've wondered why I bothered to go to a non-Sense ROM, since I was having pretty good luck with Fresh ROM, but maybe this'll seal the deal.)

Try the komodo kernel, the revision 12 one fixed my data issues.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

I need to switch a phone number to verizon while keeping the sprint line active... what's the best way to do this? I'm pretty sure a burner phone is involved, but I'm not sure what the steps are beyond that.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You would have to create a whole new line of service on Sprint, somehow convince a rep to swap the numbers between them, then port the number over and eat the ETF on the line. I bet you won't be able to do the second part, or don't want to pay the third part.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

td4guy posted:

You would have to create a whole new line of service on Sprint, somehow convince a rep to swap the numbers between them, then port the number over and eat the ETF on the line. I bet you won't be able to do the second part, or don't want to pay the third part.

This except for the switching the numbers part. You would need to make a new line of service on Sprint, port the number you want out, eat the ETF on the original line. New line will have a new 2 year agreement.

A possible alternative would be to integrate your current sprint phone number with Google voice, and create a whole new number on Verizon and have calls forwarded via Google voice to the Verizon phone. I don't know if the last part is possible but it may be worth some research.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Looks like we may finally have an official explanation for Network Vision's previous slowness... It turns out the vendors are slow delivering equipment. However if they keep turning on 450 sites per week then they'll be running at the rate they were supposed to originally, just 3 months behind. If I had to guess (and knowing how telcom BS works, they were doing it on purpose in fear of a Sprint bankruptcy. After the SoftBank announcement I predict the supply problems will magically disappear).

I'm cautiously optimistic about this week's update... If its another big one then the BS may be behind us. I am seeing a noticeable improvement in LTE around Plano and got an LTE signal for the first time at my office yesterday.

Nextel iDEN is down to around 3 million customers nationwide. If I were in charge, I'd cut those turkeys loose tomorrow and start turning on 800 SMR voice and LTE frequencies but they are sticking with the 2013 shutdown. I bet we'll see the minimum carriers assigned to iDEN before the end of the year which leaves enough room for CDMA voice coverage improvements and possibly a small LTE channel.

They are also slowing down efforts to bring on new customers to avoid overloading the existing 3G network even more; presumably as the LTE markets near completion the advertising and acquisition in those markets will ramp up. They seem very aware of how crap the old network is and how critical Network Vision is to the future of the company... I wonder how much that played into the SoftBank deal in an effort to unfuck the deployment.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 26, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I look forward to Sprint turning on the valuable markets of Sandpoint, ID; Bismarck, ND; and Pierre, SD before Omaha.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have an odd question. I have a an old grandfathered SERO plan and just refuse to let that thing leave my control but I may end up spending a year overseas. I have no desire to use Sprint's crap international service so I haven no need to keep my account active while I'm gone other than to not lose SERO. Does Sprint do anything like letting me freeze my account while I'm overseas and reactivate it when I get back with out it impacting what is on the account at all?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Dameius posted:

I have an odd question. I have a an old grandfathered SERO plan and just refuse to let that thing leave my control but I may end up spending a year overseas. I have no desire to use Sprint's crap international service so I haven no need to keep my account active while I'm gone other than to not lose SERO. Does Sprint do anything like letting me freeze my account while I'm overseas and reactivate it when I get back with out it impacting what is on the account at all?

No. You can do something like that for 6 months with a normal plan, but they won't put you back on SERO, and they won't go more than 6 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

The Entire Universe posted:

I look forward to Sprint turning on the valuable markets of Sandpoint, ID; Bismarck, ND; and Pierre, SD before Omaha.

Don't read too much into the market stuff... If you wonder why they are announcing some Podunk towns, it boils down to:

* They are part of another Sprint market and are getting NV anyway, but they get to claim PR victories
* The backhaul provider happened to finish the fiber rollouts and the crews/equipment were already in the area anyway
* A delay in permits, etc is causing the main market to be slow to start so they are working the periphery first