Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

xaarman posted:

Intel
Boom Operator
Flight Engineer
Sensor Operator
Medical specialties (mostly for med chicks)
SERE if you're into being outdoors for weeks at a time
Command Post for a last option

And PMEL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Viola the Mad posted:

By the way, why doesn't the Find a Recruiter site have a search agent for officer recruiters?

The Army does not have specific officer recruiters. Theoretically any recruiter should be able to help with your packet. Theoretically.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Took the OAR today! Recruiters are suggesting that I did pretty well, which feels nice, but the scale of the scores makes pretty much anything feel meh I imagine.

Advice about the OAR for anybody else about to take it: the mechanical comprehension caught me on some specifics (i.e. vocabulary and formulas) that I know in hindsight would have been easily prepared for (at least more-so than learning to read better or math better). At 30 seconds/question, this page will probably help more than a pile of test-prep books.

piL fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 25, 2012

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Viola the Mad posted:

Yeah, that's what I want to do, analyze the intelligence brought in and put together products. I do understand and accept that I might not end up in military intelligence because it's the freaking military and going where the Army wants you is part of the package.

By the way, why doesn't the Find a Recruiter site have a search agent for officer recruiters?

There arent Army officer recruiters. The boards and all of that are just the company and battalion leadership of regular recruiting units.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
In filling out my SF 86, is it important that I include part-time college jobs like desk clerk and contributing to the school paper? I have absolutely no idea who my supervisor was when I worked as a night desk clerk in a dorm.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

List them, if they care enough about them they'll contact you for more information or get it from other sources.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

piL posted:

In filling out my SF 86, is it important that I include part-time college jobs like desk clerk and contributing to the school paper? I have absolutely no idea who my supervisor was when I worked as a night desk clerk in a dorm.

They'll do most of the leg work, just pull up a phone number of some point of contact, HR, something like that so they have something to go on.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Sir Lucius posted:

They'll do most of the leg work, just pull up a phone number of some point of contact, HR, something like that so they have something to go on.

Awesome, thanks guys. I'll just give them HR, because even if I gave them whoever was in charge (I don't know), all they'd be able to say is, "Let me check the records. Yeah, he worked here. No he wasn't fired."

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
If I go to MEPS as Air Force, does the MEPS good-to-go transfer to other branches?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

If I go to MEPS as Air Force, does the MEPS good-to-go transfer to other branches?

If you're talking about previous physicals and ASVAB scores, yes MEPS can pull from other branches and MEPs locations.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
More that I'm going to MEPS through Air Force soon, but am considering going Army for HUMINT.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

More that I'm going to MEPS through Air Force soon, but am considering going Army for HUMINT.

So what exactly are you asking?

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
Ha, sorry. If I go through MEPS as Air Force, and am cleared, but decide I want go enlist Army, will I have to go back to MEPS all over again?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Bright Eyes posted:

Ha, sorry. If I go through MEPS as Air Force, and am cleared, but decide I want go enlist Army, will I have to go back to MEPS all over again?

You'll have to sign your contract at MEPS but at least you won't have to duck walk.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

The Army Recruiters will love you and the USAF ones will hate you, as well.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
^that's what I figured which is why I'm trying to put it off until I decide what I want to do.

Vasudus posted:

You'll have to sign your contract at MEPS but at least you won't have to duck walk.

What do you mean? My contract to enlist? I was under the impression that I just got my physical and made a wishlist of jobs. This is through Air Force.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

^that's what I figured which is why I'm trying to put it off until I decide what I want to do.

What do you mean? My contract to enlist? I was under the impression that I just got my physical and made a wishlist of jobs. This is through Air Force.

Yeah but at some point you actually enlist. You swear in, sign a contract and everything. While you can always drop out/DEP loss before you ship. That is just really lovely form and if you're not going to go through with it, then why waste everyone's time?

If Army HUMINT is what your end goal is, quit wasting the USAF guys time and go talk to the Army.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Bright Eyes posted:

What do you mean my contract to enlist? I was under the impression that I just got my physical and made a wishlist of jobs. This is through Air Force.

With the Army, you sign your contract at MEPS. What you have on your contract is what you get; there is no wish list or anything. So if you want to do HUMINT, you get that in your contract and you sign it.

Usually you go to MEPS the night before, stay in a hotel, wake up in the morning and do the physical exam, then sign your contract in the afternoon. If you went to MEPS via the AF, you would just have to come back and sign your contract with the Army.

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
Alright. Thanks a lot.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Signaleer posted:

A 3.2 is about average for Cadets, but if it's STEM you'll look more attractive. There's a physical you have take called a DODMERB in order to become a contracted Cadet with ROTC. They're going to ask you about your mental and medical history. Telling them you have a history of depression is likely going to disqualify you. I don't know if you can get a waiver for depression.
Anyone know more about this? I just returned to college as an undergrad and was considering ROTC, but I was on anti-depressants for a few months over 2 years ago.

I like stuff
Oct 12, 2012
Earlier in the thread I broached the topic of enlisting with a degree in the reserves to get a clearance and I didn't get roasted so I assume its not as stupid an idea as going active duty.

I have a bachelors in international relations and I'm hoping by pairing my degree with a TS/SCI and intelligence training from the reserves, I could get a junior intel analyst job in NOVA.

Considering I'm looking to drill somewhere that is within a few hours of the VA/DC area, basically any branch is an option for me.

First question is would it matter on which branch I joined in regards for job prospects? I'm looking at 1N0 in the AF and Air Guard and 35f for the Army and NG. Since as a reservist I'll obviously have no experience, I assume the particular branch I join will have little impact on my future job prospects. Am I off on this?

Also, do any particular reserve branches get activated less or more so than others? I'd want to deploy as less as possible and I've heard the AF Reserve deploys the least.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

I like stuff posted:

Also, do any particular reserve branches get activated less or more so than others? I'd want to deploy as less as possible and I've heard the AF Reserve deploys the least.

It's the military. If you don't want to do things like deploy...then don't join the military. It's sort of an intrinsic part of the job.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

I like stuff posted:

Earlier in the thread I broached the topic of enlisting with a degree in the reserves to get a clearance and I didn't get roasted so I assume its not as stupid an idea as going active duty.

I have a bachelors in international relations and I'm hoping by pairing my degree with a TS/SCI and intelligence training from the reserves, I could get a junior intel analyst job in NOVA.

Considering I'm looking to drill somewhere that is within a few hours of the VA/DC area, basically any branch is an option for me.

First question is would it matter on which branch I joined in regards for job prospects? I'm looking at 1N0 in the AF and Air Guard and 35f for the Army and NG. Since as a reservist I'll obviously have no experience, I assume the particular branch I join will have little impact on my future job prospects. Am I off on this?

There is a reserve Marine intel company at Quantico.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

Anyone know more about this? I just returned to college as an undergrad and was considering ROTC, but I was on anti-depressants for a few months over 2 years ago.

I am pretty sure you will be fine.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

I like stuff posted:

Fort Meade, Maryland is 1 hour away from Nova (2 hours during rush hour). They house every branch of service. They have all sorts of reservist billets, I don't know the details, I just know there have been reservists working up here.

Navy CTN doesn't deploy, and that's right up your ally if you want to do network analyses.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Sir Lucius posted:

Navy CTN doesn't deploy, and that's right up your ally if you want to do network analyses.

uhhh

When i was a team lead i had a CTN on my team who was like 40 pounds overweight but showed up in theater with tons of super high speed tactilol gear, I got woke up in the middle of my sleep one night a few weeks into his deployment by my commander of all people telling me to find anything mobile to put him in or on to get him the gently caress off of our FOB. He apparently had started crying during a prolonged round of IDF.

This was around 2007 so :shrug: maybe they don't deploy anymore? They def used to.

dude was super smart though- seriously scary smart.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Yea, it used to be they would go on a ship after A school or something like that, but they don't anymore. There are shops where you can go IA, but there are enough CTNs that want to do that. Oh and some might get attached to a SEAL team or something, but that's all poo poo you have to volunteer and apply for.

It's a good rate if all you want is a day job (unless you're on shift work).

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

If you tell anyone that you've used antidepressants, it's an automatic disqualifier (at least for the Marine Corps, Army, and Navy). There is the possibility of a Bureau of Medicine waiver but with all the branches downsizing, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I spent three years running a recruiting sub station for the Marine Corps. The Navy has the same medical requirements (since we are Dept of Navy) and I know the Army's was that way because they were our main competition as recruiters.

CRF
Apr 24, 2010
I recently left the Marines as a 1stLt and am about to leave for the Peace Corps in a few months. I'd like to rejoin the military after my Peace Corps time, either Special Forces or SEALs (officer). Would there be any restrictions/difficulties serving in the Peace Corps would incur? I know there is a restriction from joining the CIA for 10 years and there would be some difficulties obtaining a TS clearance. The Army and Navy recruiting websites weren't much help so any insight will be appreciated. I'm also out of the country doing some volunteer work so contacting a recruiter would be difficult. Thanks.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

CRF posted:

I recently left the Marines as a 1stLt and am about to leave for the Peace Corps in a few months. I'd like to rejoin the military after my Peace Corps time, either Special Forces or SEALs (officer). Would there be any restrictions/difficulties serving in the Peace Corps would incur? I know there is a restriction from joining the CIA for 10 years and there would be some difficulties obtaining a TS clearance. The Army and Navy recruiting websites weren't much help so any insight will be appreciated. I'm also out of the country doing some volunteer work so contacting a recruiter would be difficult. Thanks.

You won't be able to initially join Army SF as an officer because of the rank requirements to apply. I don't know what seal officer requirements are, but I'm sure they are published just like the sf ones.

Google SORB for more info army side.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iceslice posted:

Google SORB for more info army side.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/sorb/ :raise:

Not sure what rank requirements you mean for Army side, but SEALs (well, SEAL selection) will take completely green ensigns.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/agencies/sorb/ :raise:

Not sure what rank requirements you mean for Army side, but SEALs (well, SEAL selection) will take completely green ensigns.

You have to be a 1LT(P) to apply to the ARSOF board. It is actually becoming fairly strict, they are not taking out of year group currently, so he may have no shot officer side.

SORB is the special operations recruiting battalion, [link] http://www.sorbrecruiting.com/ [/link]

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
Is UMUC at all reputable as university? They got some pretty nice degrees and they're cheaper than PSU World Campus. Also regionally accredited and non-profit. Has anyone had any experience with them?

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Bright Eyes posted:

Is UMUC at all reputable as university? They got some pretty nice degrees and they're cheaper than PSU World Campus. Also regionally accredited and non-profit. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Yeah, UMUC is reputable. They're part of the University System of Maryland. If you end up getting a degree from them it says University of Maryland on it instead of UMUC. Didn't have any problems transferring my UMUC credits to ASU.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
It's me again, fresh out of basic military training. I guess I'm not supposed to say where I'm deploying to, but I will reveal that I did get my crypto-linguist job, which comes with an unfortunate mandatory 6-year contract. I'm hoping for an extended-long tour overseas somewhere after tech school, but that's a question for another time.

In any case, the experience has changed a lot in the last year; if anyone has any questions about the overhauled BMT, I can probably answer most of them. As far as I know, the only thing I'm not supposed to talk about is the end-of-course test. Other than that, I should be able to give a synopsis of every week (depending on how well my mind is working that day and how many of my letters I can get from my wife.)

also dear god run before you join

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Not supposed to talk about basic training? Wut.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Arent you going to dli for a year now? I hear that's where the real fun begins.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hekk posted:

If you tell anyone that you've used antidepressants, it's an automatic disqualifier (at least for the Marine Corps, Army, and Navy). There is the possibility of a Bureau of Medicine waiver but with all the branches downsizing, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I spent three years running a recruiting sub station for the Marine Corps. The Navy has the same medical requirements (since we are Dept of Navy) and I know the Army's was that way because they were our main competition as recruiters.
Thanks for the response.

That's disappointing.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Thanks for the response.

That's disappointing.

Hey man, the key words in his post were "if you tell anyone"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
I'm applying for Navy OCS with a BA in International Studies, 3.91 GPA, 54 on the ASTB, and several recommendations.

My question is: I recently went to MEPS and things seemed fine overall. I had to have my ear flushed, but no big deal. I was also told I needed to have my most recent Optometrist appointment information sent to them since my eye sight is lovely, but I see fine with glasses/contacts. I also apparently have no depth perception, but I'm not attempting to be a pilot.

Today I got a letter from the DoD saying that I have "Excessive Optical Sphere" and that this is a permanent disqualifying disability. The letter said I can file for a waiver, but with the board coming up this month (if it hasn't already), I don't know what's going to happen.

My recruiter is out of town until Monday, but after reading up, it sounds like this is something that can be waived if I get eye surgery and it fixes it to acceptable limits.

What do you think my chances are of getting this waived and continuing on if I get the surgery, or should I just start looking at different career paths since the military doesn't need to put up with my terrible eyes? I want to join the Navy, and for the past few months, preparing for OCS has been my life.

• Locked thread