Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I love these things because I take my kids and we have the best time. We talk about it and laugh all the way home. Mom/sons bonding moments :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Had a great time again. Sadly missed Manos so I was damned sure gonna catch this one, even if I've already seen the Birdemic riff five or six times, so I made sure to drag along a buddy who had not yet been exposed to its glory; he didn't know whether to thank me or curse me for making him watch that.

The house was surprisingly empty; Jack the Giant Killer was pretty full and I heard that Manos was capacity for a lot of theatres around here, guess birds and their -emic just doesn't draw in the crowds.

Anybody have the link for the digital goodies? We weren't paying attention during the credits and missed it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was rifftrax.com/treehugger

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRayPer posted:

Yeah it felt like a lot of the same kind of material, but maybe 10% of the exact same material and that was fine with me.

I still think everything before the Birdemic is way funnier than the Birdemic itself. The awkward romance is just out of this world bizarre.

I'm sure I can find goodvietnameserestrant

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Saw it in Syracuse, NY. The second they just happened to have machine guns in that van I lost it. Plus normal people acting so normal in the background while there's a "birdemic" going on was just loving hilarious. I couldn't imagine sitting through this movie normally.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This really was one of the best live riffs- it has that quality of the MST3K Manos and Werewolf episodes where there's this surprise at discovering something so uniquely bad.

Also those slide JPGs are slowing Firefox to a dead stop. Compression is your friend.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Liar posted:

Saw it in Syracuse, NY. The second they just happened to have machine guns in that van I lost it. Plus normal people acting so normal in the background while there's a "birdemic" going on was just loving hilarious. I couldn't imagine sitting through this movie normally.

My favorite part is either the tree guy and "OH MY GOD THERE'S A MOUNTAIN LION COMING! I GOTTA GO!" or when there is someone wandering the beach while they're being attacked by the birds. It's fantastic.

babyturnsblue
Jun 14, 2007

i used to dance before the discos came
I finally got to go to a Rifftrax live event, and I don't think I've laughed that hard in ages. I'm sad I missed out on all the others. Luckily I was able to watch Reefer Madness on Hulu, but it's not the same experience as going to the theater. I will definitely make sure I find a way to see them from now on.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Shifty Pony posted:

That was probably the biggest longest laugh generator of the night where I was. I'm not even sure they were riffing at times during that part because the theater was laughing too hard to hear anything.

"It's a white man impersonating a black man imperonating a white man dancing!"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Saw Birdemic last night and had a blast, never laughed as hard in a theater.

They forgot to mention how freakin' dirty the lead gals feet were in the filthy hotel room but they did point out:

-Getty Images watermark over the news show's video.

-"His air-humping gave me air-herpes"

-solar panels= "soahpahnas"

-Every money value in the movie being a dividable by 100

-"I'm just trying out my beef jerky eyemask!"

-The clapping in the corporate buyout meeting going on FOREVER

-Tree guy is destined to be the new Torgo

-The seemingly incestuous lyrics of the "Hangin' out with my family" song

-Automatic rifles and tactical pistols in an Aerostar for no reason

-Insane, endless monologues from random characters

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Saw Birdemic last night and had a blast, never laughed as hard in a theater.

They forgot to mention how freakin' dirty the lead gals feet were in the filthy hotel room but they did point out:

-Getty Images watermark over the news show's video.

-"His air-humping gave me air-herpes"

-solar panels= "soahpahnas"

-Every money value in the movie being a dividable by 100

-"I'm just trying out my beef jerky eyemask!"

-The clapping in the corporate buyout meeting going on FOREVER

-Tree guy is destined to be the new Torgo

-Automatic rifles and tactical pistols in an Aerostar for no reason

-Insane, endless monologues from random characters

-"My friend had a toy car and it hit my foot!"

-"Hey, stay back!" "Come closer? All right!"

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It really killed me when they just loaded up into a van full of automatic weapons.

BloodDesk UnderHell
Sep 24, 2007

Wow! He licks good boot!
I think Guinness needs to have a new record. Least Scariest Movie Attack: Becky's death.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also those slide JPGs are slowing Firefox to a dead stop. Compression is your friend.

What's wrong with your Firefox? They were fine for me on Firefox at home, and I'm looking at them in Firefox on my work computer now and they're fine here too ;)

I even used timg tags!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Uncle Phil is scorin' :smug:

chad radwell
Jan 16, 2009

chad radwell fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 13, 2015

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yautja Philosophy posted:

Also quite literally nearly wet myself at "Gollum really oversold the stairs of Cirith Ungol", such a random line that totally slayed me for no reason at all.

Perhaps you were in our crowd then, because there was one guy in our theater that apparently really loving loved that line. Though the rest of us didn't get it because I'm pretty sure he was the only one that laughed. But it was a full on guffaw though.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Yautja Philosophy posted:

What a wonderful terrible movie. I can't get over the fact that it was only eagles. Massive, far-overreaching-actual-population-numbers of eagles. And they came from the sea.

And when they went out to sea, they didn't move at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Saw the live showing of Birdemic in East Greenwich, RI. This was one of the funniest riffs period, made even better in the presence of a full audience. The laughs never stopped coming. Favorite line: "Oh no, I forgot that old gypsy woman's curse that if I slept with an idiot I'd cause a Birdemic!"

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah, I get that they're hanging out, but with who? And in what context?

Also, does anyone know anything about the history of Birdemic? It seems to me like it was shot as a highschool project or something and went overboard. How does Birdemic become a thing?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

therealjon_ posted:

It really killed me when they just loaded up into a van full of automatic weapons.

Here's the weirdest thing about the movie: There seems to be a reason for the van to be loaded with automatic weapons. Ramsey is wearing camo as if he's some sort of survivalist/militia guy/whatever. In a movie where absolutely nothing is given a second thought, they actually had the guy with tons of weapons in his car wear something appropriate, like he may have had an actual character.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Also, does anyone know anything about the history of Birdemic? It seems to me like it was shot as a highschool project or something and went overboard. How does Birdemic become a thing?

Basically a Vietnamese immigrant with no moviemaking training but who watched a bunch of Hitchcock films used his software salesman income to film this on weekends over the course of several months.

He self-promoted the movie and it got attention for being so incredibly awful.

quote:

In January 2009, Nguyen traveled to the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah to promote the film freelance, handing out flyers to passers-by from his van, adorned with stuffed birds and paper signs that read "BIDEMIC.COM" (spelling Birdemic wrong in his haste) and "WHY DID THE EAGLES AND VULTURES ATTACKED?" [sic], and renting out a local theater to screen the film. Word of mouth eventually gave Birdemic attention from horror movie websites Dread Central and Bloody Disgusting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Here's the weirdest thing about the movie: There seems to be a reason for the van to be loaded with automatic weapons. Ramsey is wearing camo as if he's some sort of survivalist/militia guy/whatever. In a movie where absolutely nothing is given a second thought, they actually had the guy with tons of weapons in his car wear something appropriate, like he may have had an actual character.

"I'm tired of all the loving killing in Iraq. Why can't we give peace a chance?" says the guy with a van full of automatic weapons, while clutching one of said automatic weapons.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Deadpool posted:

And I know this is the Rifftrax thread, but if you've not had your fill of Birdemic yet I'd recommend checking out the episode the 'How Did This Get Made' podcast did for Birdemic. The guests are Weird Al, who's a huge fan of the movie, and Whitney Moore, who you may know as Nathalie in the film. It's pretty funny.

http://www.earwolf.com/episode/birdemic-shock-and-terror-live/
This is hilarious. Birdemic is a film that needs to be explored to its inexplicable depths.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

I think Guinness needs to have a new record. Least Scariest Movie Attack: Becky's death.

I think that gas can stealing guy puts up a mighty fine competition for that title. I mean the eagle didn't even stick around, it just gave a fly by fat guy slicing.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Shifty Pony posted:

I think that gas can stealing guy puts up a mighty fine competition for that title. I mean the eagle didn't even stick around, it just gave a fly by fat guy slicing.

That'll teach him to ride in a gas guzzling truck instead of a Ford Mustang Hybrid that gets exactly 100 miles to the gallon. All that drilling for oil hurts animals... such as seals.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Liar posted:

That'll teach him to ride in a gas guzzling truck instead of a Ford Mustang Hybrid that gets exactly 100 miles to the gallon. All that drilling for oil hurts animals... such as seals.

Especially when gas is 100 bucks a gallon- what was he thinking?

nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Especially when gas is 100 bucks a gallon- what was he thinking?

I was pleased to see the orange gas can make a re-appearance after all seemed lost when Rod left it by the side of the road.

Similarly there was a long spell in which Becky was completely missing, before her triumphant return to (almost) take a poo poo and then die.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

"Where's Becky?"
"She's taking a poo poo."

The way this line was delivered with such deadpan finality was glorious.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Did anyone else notice he filled an empty oil container with drinking water when they went to that river? I couldn't stop laughing at that and how he'd probably die if he drank from that.

Akrabbim
Aug 10, 2003
It means 'scorpion' in Hebrew, and rhymes with 'bakrabbim'. Don't even ask...
I was honestly astonished that there was a portion of the movie at the end that was NOTICEABLY worse than the previous part. Even the jokes, as good as they were, fell utterly flat. It's just shocking that a movie could be that mind-numbingly bad, and then get worse.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Liar posted:

Did anyone else notice he filled an empty oil container with drinking water when they went to that river? I couldn't stop laughing at that and how he'd probably die if he drank from that.

Why did they even need to refill? When they stopped at the abandoned convenience store and the not-so-abandoned convenience store, they left both times with multiple cases of water. How much were they drinking?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lamont Cranston posted:

Why did they even need to refill? When they stopped at the abandoned convenience store and the not-so-abandoned convenience store, they left both times with multiple cases of water. How much were they drinking?

That's where the question of time comes in. Because from watching the movie you'd think that everything happened in one crazy day. But some of the choices the people make and some of the things they do kind of insinuate that this takes place over the course of days or even weeks. It's amazing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The whole movie suffers from that, like Rod and Nathalie's date which goes all over the place and takes forever but was apparently just one day based on their clothes.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Deadpool posted:

That's where the question of time comes in. Because from watching the movie you'd think that everything happened in one crazy day. But some of the choices the people make and some of the things they do kind of insinuate that this takes place over the course of days or even weeks. It's amazing.

Well I guess there's signs of time passing. Remember when the two guys are sitting in the car talking about the women off taking a poo poo, and suddenly they have neck gashes even though one scene ago they didn't? So maybe they have been fighting all along.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This is probably one of the most punishing movies to listen to, the bird screams and awful machine gun sound effects are only slightly less painful to hear than chalkboard squeaking.

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

I can't recommend that earwolf podcast episode enough. They have the lead actress explain a bit about what happened. It's a real window into the director's madness!

She related an anecdote where one of the actors asked about why they'd be doing a batshit illogical thing they had to do and he replied matter-of-factly "well, it's a movie!"

It had a long rear end filming time because everyone only did it on the weekends and it sounded like a lot of the original crew quit.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

This is probably one of the most punishing movies to listen to, the bird screams and awful machine gun sound effects are only slightly less painful to hear than chalkboard squeaking.

Jesus CHRIST yes, the birds in particular were horrifyingly loud and piercing.

nach0king
Jan 11, 2007

GET BACK TO WORK!!!

Deadpool posted:

There is every chance that this wasn't in the script and they actually were dying of thirst and hunger, reduced to drinking oil-tainted water and boiling up unprepared fish in a divided hot-pot.

"But James, we're starv-"
"KEEP ROLLING."

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Liar posted:

I thought it was motor oil at first but a later shot made me think it was antifreeze.

Not that it's an improvement, mind you...

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Despite how bad this movie was, I can't complain because they made a movie and I haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Spakstik posted:

"Where's Becky?"
"She's taking a poo poo."

The way this line was delivered with such deadpan finality was glorious.

Without this movie I wouldn't have learned that the best way to defend your new found friend from a close range bird attack is to shoot bullets directly at both of them.

I love that they rarely leave indoor settings through the first part of the film, but the moment deadly birds start attacking the never stay inside for more than 5 minutes at a time.

• Locked thread