Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
This is the first page we've seen where there's nobody else around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Jones is the creation of an intergalactic bioweapon that crash landed on the planet thousands of years ago, she created human civilization in order to produce the biological and mechanical parts needed to repair her spaceshipdad

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
To have a relationship with a kid you watched grow up, is that... permissable?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
When millennia old you are, able to judge you will be.

Or maybe you'll just be all "goddamn kids on my goddamn lawn..."

Ghoulish Sandwich
Jun 27, 2008

the corpse party!
theres no better time and there are so many corpses here to work with
Hmm... could Jones have something to do with Qin-era terra cotta soldiers? (Click here) I'm not sure if that counts as "existing mythology."

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I really hope Monday's update shows future Jones going way back in time, bringing us in a loop back where we began without really showing what Jones actually is.

Besides, Jones just is.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Ghoulish Sandwich posted:

Hmm... could Jones have something to do with Qin-era terra cotta soldiers? (Click here) I'm not sure if that counts as "existing mythology."

Given that they're from the 3rd century BC, I highly doubt it. Jones has to be some kind of powerful being like Coyote, we're getting to nearly the start of civilization, I can't see Jones being older than that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghoulish Sandwich posted:

How? She doesn't really look that Chinese to me. Also the Terracotta Army is all dudes.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

ATP_Power posted:

Given that they're from the 3rd century BC, I highly doubt it. Jones has to be some kind of powerful being like Coyote, we're getting to nearly the start of civilization, I can't see Jones being older than that.
Hell, the way we're going--both temporally and geographically--she's going to end up hanging out with Australian Aboriginal myth spirits from 40,000 years ago.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Years in the past, but not many.

Echoing the idea that this chapter is gonna be a lot easier to swallow when it is finished as a whole. Right now its just like 'drat JONES IS OLD' page after page.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
God, this chapter's so pretty. :allears:
Also, I kind of like the slow pace. It's gonna work really well when read as a chapter (as people have said), and it's cool that Tom's taking his time with it. It's also a nice break after last chapter's Coyote revalations.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
After two days in the desert sun, does her skin begin to turn red?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Gnome de plume posted:

After two days in the desert sun, does her skin begin to turn red?

Well she's already let the horse run free so she's at least nine days in, so I'd say no, no it doesn't.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At this rate she's going to be Adam's super secret second wife that was dismissed from the garden for cheating on him.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At this rate she's going to be Adam's super secret second wife that was dismissed from the garden for cheating on him.

Adam's second wife got dismissed from the garden for eating apples, and I'm not sure she exactly counts as secret. And Jones doesn't fit the profile for wifey #1 aka Lilith.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Freudian posted:

Adam's second wife got dismissed from the garden for eating apples, and I'm not sure she exactly counts as secret. And Jones doesn't fit the profile for wifey #1 aka Lilith.

I'm talking about the super secret one between Lilith and Eve.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Nah, she was Adam's grandmother.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

I've been everywhere, man.
Crossed the deserts bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
It occurs to me that if we go back far enough, Jones being white is going to raise some uncomfortable questions...

edit: like anglo-saxon white. There are some fundamental anthropological issues with that

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 26, 2012

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Up until this point we've pretty much only seen her in a Western world setting. Who knows how much longer this will go on, but I get the sense it's winding down now that we're into silent panels, and there are no other humans around.

Jones is an etheric manifestation of Western culture and imperialism, a parochial, patronizing intrusion into the lives of people otherwise minding their own business, then moving on when she's had her way (or people start wising up). Her lack of emotion and pretend neutrality make her 'tutelage' appear more benign than it truly is. Her stone-like nature represents the building material of cities, which may rise and fall, but the concept of cities endure. Her interest in the Court is the creation of an eternal city built on biological principles ("grown" from a seed) but still representing a bulwark against a force of nature that remains resolutely untamed amd emotional.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jones is the wandering jew.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Lord Lambeth posted:

We've got a few more millenia before we can rule that out. Golems are from Jewish folklore, if that's her origin (but there's no writing on her forehead - maybe lots of concealer?)

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I hope she's not a golem because golems are basically robots and jones said she isn't a robot. :colbert:

Golems also can't speak, if I remember correctly.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Lord Lambeth posted:

I hope she's not a golem because golems are basically robots and jones said she isn't a robot. :colbert:

Tell that to the original court robots. Who are pretty much Golems anyway.

minimalist posted:

Jones is an etheric manifestation of Western culture and imperialism, a parochial, patronizing intrusion into the lives of people otherwise minding their own business, then moving on when she's had her way (or people start wising up). Her lack of emotion and pretend neutrality make her 'tutelage' appear more benign than it truly is. Her stone-like nature represents the building material of cities, which may rise and fall, but the concept of cities endure. Her interest in the Court is the creation of an eternal city built on biological principles ("grown" from a seed) but still representing a bulwark against a force of nature that remains resolutely untamed amd emotional.

Even if this theory ends up being complete nonsense I love it.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 26, 2012

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Lord Lambeth posted:

Golems in old Jewish folklore could be quite erudite, although they were usually dumb as stumps. They're also made out of clay (or other inanimate material), so it would fit with the elemental thing.

Humans could be considered God's golems - Adam was made out of mud.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I hope it will stop around here because I think it would be dumb that she would be older than mankind since she looks human.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bonster posted:

Golems in old Jewish folklore could be quite erudite, although they were usually dumb as stumps. They're also made out of clay (or other inanimate material), so it would fit with the elemental thing.

Humans could be considered God's golems - Adam was made out of mud.

That's basically the entire idea behind a golem. A particularly spiritual and devout person could channel just a little bit of divinity and bring the spark of life into an inanimate object, though it's nowhere near as good as the real thing.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Jones is Mother Earth herself. She took on a physical form to explore around and observe from a closer view. Or at least that's what it seems like right now.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Guys, you're all wrong. All of you.

Jones is The King. Duh.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

AE-35 Unit posted:

Crossed the deserts bare, man.
I've breathed the mountain air, man.
Travel I've had my share, man.
I've been everywhere.

Dias posted:

Guys, you're all wrong. All of you.

Jones is The King. Duh.

Man, I'm jealous of you guys. I've had this in my head. (E: Though it does kind of fit with the earlier pages of this story.)

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 27, 2012

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

The legend is that he was cursed for mocking Jesus as he carried the cross, so unless "several" in this comic means "two", I'm gonna say no.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Flavahbeast posted:

Jones is the creation of an intergalactic bioweapon that crash landed on the planet thousands of years ago, she created human civilization in order to produce the biological and mechanical parts needed to repair her spaceshipdad

Next chapter: Jimmy Jims' dark secret is revealed - an alter ego with long pink anime hair.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

cultureulterior posted:

I hereby bet that Jones is the blonde lady in Pyramid G I-b
(image from http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/meresankht.htm)

Just quoting this because I think you're correct.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Jones is Meresankh III?

Well, she certainly loves life too much to give it up. ("Meresankh" means "she loves life" according to Wikipedia.)

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 26, 2012

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Wikipedia posted:

Her sarcophagus and skeleton are today located in the Cairo Museum; the latter reveals that she was 1.54 metres (5 feet) tall and between 50–55 years at her death.

drat it! That answers that question.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
My sister made an interesting observation today. As we go back we're becoming more and more detached from humanity.

I don't think this ends somewhere human.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

farraday posted:

My sister made an interesting observation today. As we go back we're becoming more and more detached from humanity.

I don't think this ends somewhere human.

That's a really good point. I guess that would make her wholly divine, wouldn't it? Not semi-divine like Annie.

VanSandman fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 27, 2012

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bonster posted:

Golems are from Jewish folklore, if that's her origin

Who says that the first golem in lore was the first to happen, though? In a world where such things are 'real'.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Called it four comics ago. Wooooo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Jones started from the Earth's core and has been digging upward for quite some time. Finally reached the surface in the Gobi.