Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Aauuugh..

Our GM's 25th anniversary of working at the bar is on Wednesday. And our owners, who live out of state and have only been in the bar 3 times in my 7 years, are going to be in town for it. I have cleaned, scrubbed, dusted, polished and washed every god drat inch of this bar in the last week. Then we get health inspected today and they STILL find poo poo to cite us on! Nothing major, but christ.

I'd kinda like to see the training process these health inspectors go through because nobody is that god drat observant naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Dirnok posted:

Aauuugh..

Our GM's 25th anniversary of working at the bar is on Wednesday.

Oh god this makes me want to kill myself.

I'd be 63 years old... :suicide:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Pappas family just put in a new rule that says employees are no longer allowed to have alcohol at their own restaurant. This includes coming in and sitting at a table on your day off. With your girlfriend, parents, doesn't matter, you're not having a drink.

My GM took it one step further and decided that we're also not allowed to have alcohol at the Pappasito's next door. Nor are they allowed to have any in our restaurant.

A few of the managers and a lot of the staff members would come over after their shifts and sit at my bar for happy hour. They can't do that anymore.

Thanks, guys. There goes a lot of my money.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Holy snot, what, too many employees get drunk in front of the kids?

$1 domestic taps.

I think I work in the cheapest bar in the U.S.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Daric posted:

Pappas family just put in a new rule that says employees are no longer allowed to have alcohol at their own restaurant. This includes coming in and sitting at a table on your day off. With your girlfriend, parents, doesn't matter, you're not having a drink.

My GM took it one step further and decided that we're also not allowed to have alcohol at the Pappasito's next door. Nor are they allowed to have any in our restaurant.

A few of the managers and a lot of the staff members would come over after their shifts and sit at my bar for happy hour. They can't do that anymore.

Thanks, guys. There goes a lot of my money.

The policy change is probably a good one - a restaurant that allows its employees to drink there, even on their day off, is risking a hell of a lot of shrinkage (and those employees are still representative of the restaurant, even if they're off the clock).

Not allowing employees from another unit to grab a beer is dumb, though, I'd be looking for another job.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Shooting Blanks posted:

The policy change is probably a good one - a restaurant that allows its employees to drink there, even on their day off, is risking a hell of a lot of shrinkage (and those employees are still representative of the restaurant, even if they're off the clock).

Previous bars I worked in just had a one hour rule. If you came in on your day off or after your shift or whatever, you could only be there an hour. hang out, have a drink and be on your way after saying hi to everyone. Seemed to work out well. Banning another bars employees is flat out stupid though.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I can kinda understand those rules in a restaurant setting, most managers don't want people (especially the same people on a regular basis) getting drunk in a family oriented restaurant. Honestly, if you like having a "following" of regulars to make money don't bartend at a restaurant.

As far as not letting your own employees drink that's pretty standard, I've never worked anywhere that allows that.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

leica posted:

I can kinda understand those rules in a restaurant setting, most managers don't want people (especially the same people on a regular basis) getting drunk in a family oriented restaurant. Honestly, if you like having a "following" of regulars to make money don't bartend at a restaurant.

As far as not letting your own employees drink that's pretty standard, I've never worked anywhere that allows that.

Yeah it's not the ME not drinking that's an issue. The only time I'm in there on my days off is if I'm with my parents or I'm sitting in my girlfriend's section because it's slow and she's bored.

But I had a steady stream of managers from next door that would come over and have a couple beers and hung out that I'm going to miss. Obviously they tipped better than my normal clientele.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No employees drinking is always a good rule. Banning other bar staff is always a bad one. Even if they're getting half of their stuff for free having industry people like your bar is priceless. They're young, attractive, and if they say "X bar is a good bar" there isn't a person in the city that will not believe them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Sheep-Goats posted:

No employees drinking is always a good rule. Banning other bar staff is always a bad one. Even if they're getting half of their stuff for free having industry people like your bar is priceless. They're young, attractive, and if they say "X bar is a good bar" there isn't a person in the city that will not believe them.

And this is probably more relevant to bars/clubs and less to restaurants, but other bar staff are also generally good about keeping their group in line if they do come with other people. Not necessarily a chaperon, but at least someone who will step in if someone gets too drunk or looks like they might be a problem. I've had customers save my rear end more than once by stopping a problem before it starts, or before I get there at least (and it always warrants a drink on me).

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

While I can understand the reasoning behind no employees drinking, it would make the slow nights almost worthless for us. Employees and their friends provide at least half the total tips Sunday through Tuesday nights. But we all maintain a policy of "We drink here, we don't get drunk here." A few rounds, couple shots, and then it's time to move on to the next bar. Which is perfect because after an hour or two I'd much rather be anywhere that isn't my loving bar.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
The no-employees-drinking was a thing when I worked at this 4 star hotel restaurant and wine bar, but we just had a halloween themed night at the pub last night and our boss was so hammered she was having trouble opening doors. Which I thought was brilliant.

There's no rule against us drinking in the bar, but my Italian colleague and I prefer to drink in swankier joints whenever we do (continental culture and a' that), and Mary doesn't really drink that much. I did, however, go watch England play Sweden in the Euros, got really hammered on Kronenbourg, and yelled anti-English abuse at everyone.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
The owner picked "sexy 60s playboy zombie" as our Halloween theme. Already gave my notice, if they give me a hard time about showing up in a bathrobe and passing on the face paint I suppose that's their problem, right?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Dear everybody who will pre game at house parties then show up a sloppy, costumed mess at my bar: comic con is over. gently caress Halloween.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Vegetable Melange posted:

Dear everybody who will pre game at house parties then show up a sloppy, costumed mess at my bar: comic con is over. gently caress Halloween.

Comic Con is NOT over. I will be there tomorrow dressed as Robin.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I had a couple show up dressed as pirates last night. Some of the others were annoyed that we let the dress code slide and allowed them in but having a vulgar pirate-slang conversation with them was the most fun I'd had in weeks.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

It is last call on a holiday not celebrated by the federal government. I'm eleven hours on and six days left on my notice. No fucks given, none asked.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dude do you ever have fun?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

Dude do you ever have fun?

What is this "fun" of which you speak? I come here not to praise fun, but to bury it.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

gently caress this. Halloween is Bartender Christmas.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Pretty good night tonight, no rowdies, and miraculously everyone had the presence of mind to gtfo half an hour before last call. Walked out with 2 bills which is nice coming out of a new job.

e: even had enough time to have a few beers with the line staff.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Dirnok posted:

gently caress this. Halloween is Bartender Christmas.

This, and I'm not even a huge fan of dressing up. Were I still behind the wood, I'd wish for Halloween every weekend.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Never working in a costume without pockets again.

Good night otherwise. I got Katy Perry and Batgirl's phone numbers. :v:

What was the 'fad' costume in your neck of the woods?

Mine was Ted from the movie Ted and the Gangam Style guy.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Perdido posted:

Never working in a costume without pockets again.

Good night otherwise. I got Katy Perry and Batgirl's phone numbers. :v:

What was the 'fad' costume in your neck of the woods?

Mine was Ted from the movie Ted and the Gangam Style guy.

Saturday was a college football home game. So while a bunch of people came out in costume, hundreds more came out in the typical game day apparel and kinda drowned everything else out. Add to that being pretty much in the weeds from noon to close, I barely had a chance to notice any costumes unless it involved a skirt that didn't quite cover an rear end (which has an amazing ability to stop all work behind the bar for at least a couple minutes or until everyone has been made aware and had a look). And since Halloween falls on one of my days off and I'm gonna already be pushing overtime, I was just informed that I don't get to work it. I cannot begin to express my disappointment about this entire situation.

Now the only thing I have to look forward to is Mardi Gras. :jerkbag:

That said, I did notice a lot of loving zombies. Not even unique zombies like Zombie Colonel Sanders or whatever, just normal people with lots of blood and open wounds and what have you. And not a single Slutty Zombie. Just a bust year for me, still stand behind the awesomeness of Halloween behind the bar though!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Have you tried calling other bartenders you know to find out if they have an open shift for the night? On nights like Halloween and St. Paddy's Day, plenty of bars in Houston will add capacity and a couple extra bartenders/servers, if you start calling now you may get lucky.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

$800 in sales in the first three hours of my shift last night, and then the bottom fell out and no-one came in for the last 4, ah well.

Had a big table of van-goons come in though, which was pretty awesome. Also having a boss that sits there drinking all night as well as periodically buying me shots is pretty awesome if not a little distracting after a while.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

Have you tried calling other bartenders you know to find out if they have an open shift for the night? On nights like Halloween and St. Paddy's Day, plenty of bars in Houston will add capacity and a couple extra bartenders/servers, if you start calling now you may get lucky.

Yeah, I asked around, no luck. Halloween falls in the middle of the busy season for bars in my city so everyone added staff back in August. Only gig I could find was at the music venue next door and it was just doing security. Which I don't mind doing now and again, but it's some lovely dubstep show and I'd rather have the night off than have my ears raped for several hours. So I loaned them one of my barbacks instead.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

So THIS is what it feels like when I don't have to work and go out to other bars on Halloween.

...ow ow ow

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

gently caress Daylight Saving and gently caress staying open an extra hour. Christ.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

My regulars tried to pull that poo poo on me. "Oh you prick legally you have to stay open." Nope.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

You guys hate money? Weird.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I had a dream I got a ten dollar tip once. It was a good dream.

How do you folks deal with regulars who are going through some poo poo? I have a dude that's hit a rough patch, and while he's typically a nice guy, he's been acting like a cock and starting poo poo. I've started cutting him off early, but he just gets tanked in another bar in our downtown area, then wanders in and pisses everyone off before getting kicked out again. I let him chill and talk at me when I closed on a slow night, and its pretty clear he's got some issues.

Maybe I'm trying to help a guy who doesn't want to be helped? It just kinda sucks to see a guy tear himself apart.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

nrr posted:

You guys hate money? Weird.

My experience is that the people who would most 'benefit' from staying open an hour later are the types who can't hold their liquor and you're just dealing with more overservice problems (puking, fighting, etc.) than anything else.

Also, would you close early in the spring? Fair's fair!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I offered someone a hurricane Sandy last night, naturally they asked me what it was.

"It's a watered down Manhattan"

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

JawKnee posted:

I offered someone a hurricane Sandy last night, naturally they asked me what it was.

"It's a watered down Manhattan"

I feel like this belongs in the poo poo that didn't happen thread, but some joker asked me for that 2 days ago. I'd read the joke somewhere on the forums, made him exactly that and he was really happy that someone got it. I was blown away at the time that an SA thing had gone mainstream so fast, but I guess it was just a facebook thing that got reposted here.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I feel like this belongs in the poo poo that didn't happen thread, but some joker asked me for that 2 days ago. I'd read the joke somewhere on the forums, made him exactly that and he was really happy that someone got it. I was blown away at the time that an SA thing had gone mainstream so fast, but I guess it was just a facebook thing that got reposted here.
That was a joke here in New York a few days before the storm. Pretty sure it was the low hanging fruit of disaster jokes.

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
I was just curious what size float you guys all keep in the till?
I'm in a hotel that has a lot of functions and weddings, so it happens a few times per week that I'll have 150ish people all insisting on paying with $50 notes, so no matter how perfect my till looks at the start of the shift, it's usually rendered useless within an hour or two.
I currently have $400 and have been told "we can't just make more money appear for a larger float! Where would it come from? Just make sure you stock it properly beforehand!"

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
$337.50 in each till (2 tills) for a 2 bartender night

$197.50 in each till (4 tills) for a 4 bartender night

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
$200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldfire
Apr 21, 2009
$550 floats, 3 tills for a 3 well, 6 bartenders, grossing 22k average on a Saturday night

• Locked thread