Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Longinus00 posted:

Isn't samba4 not even out of testing? It might not even have been in beta when 12.04 came out. If you really want to test then do yourself a favor are run the latest version directly from upstream. It seems like most of those bug reports were from people who were told to install samba4 via command-not-found instead of something sane like samba.

I understand samba4 still is in *early* testing - but it's just weird how broken the installer is.
I won't claim that samba4 even works on any other platform, but at least it didn't give screens full of confusing errors just by using one apt-get command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

Didn't 1.7.5 come out after 12.04?

Possibly, however it isn't implemented in 12.04, which is what I needed for work, because surprise! The svn server is 1.7.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Longinus00 posted:

Isn't samba4 not even out of testing? It might not even have been in beta when 12.04 came out. If you really want to test then do yourself a favor are run the latest version directly from upstream. It seems like most of those bug reports were from people who were told to install samba4 via command-not-found instead of something sane like samba.
Ahh this is a very good point, I don't think command-not-found has a concept of "don't recommend this alpha-package" yet. I'll bring it up at the developer summit.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Xenomorph posted:

I understand samba4 still is in *early* testing - but it's just weird how broken the installer is.
I won't claim that samba4 even works on any other platform, but at least it didn't give screens full of confusing errors just by using one apt-get command.

Yea having a broken installer is kinda stupid. I kind of wonder why the package exists at all.

ratbert90 posted:

Possibly, however it isn't implemented in 12.04, which is what I needed for work, because surprise! The svn server is 1.7.

I'm not entirely sure what your complaint is at this point but this might help?

https://launchpad.net/~svn/+archive/ppa

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Longinus00 posted:

Yea having a broken installer is kinda stupid. I kind of wonder why the package exists at all.

I'm not entirely sure what your complaint is at this point but this might help?

https://launchpad.net/~svn/+archive/ppa

My complaint is that in 12.04, svn 1.6 is the standard, even though 1.7.5 is out. RabbitVCS isn't compatible with the SVN server because the SVN server is running 1.7, and it would just choke telling me that 1.6 isn't ok.

With 12.10 it works out of the box which is great, but it dumbfounds me that I would have to grab a PPA and install svn 1.7.5 instead of Canonical updating it officially. Considering this is a LTS, subversion should be MOST important to them considering developers will use it for a long long time.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

ratbert90 posted:

My complaint is that in 12.04, svn 1.6 is the standard, even though 1.7.5 is out. RabbitVCS isn't compatible with the SVN server because the SVN server is running 1.7, and it would just choke telling me that 1.6 isn't ok.
Right, so you need a newer SVN package. A PPA will help with that.

quote:

With 12.10 it works out of the box which is great, but it dumbfounds me that I would have to grab a PPA and install svn 1.7.5 instead of Canonical updating it officially. Considering this is a LTS, subversion should be MOST important to them considering developers will use it for a long long time.
New upstream releases are not, in general pushed out as stable release updates automatically to all users unless we know they have fairly sophisticated assurances that there are no regressions. SVN 1.7 may have disabled something "deprecated" in 1.6 that some LTS user out there is relying on, for instance.

Backports is the channel for newer possibly risky versions of software -- by default you have to explicitly ask for them to be installed.

So, for instance: apt-get install subversion/precise-backports would get you what you want...if svn was actually backported. It currently isn't: this page has info on how to request a backport.

The backporters team needs volunteers, by the way :)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
How dare you kill me with kindness and logic. :argh:
I'm just a grumpy guss I guess and was incredibly frustrated with having to update svn. To be fair though, you guys did do a great job in general for 12.04 and I was more than happy (and still do on my laptop) to use it.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
so, I have an ASUS ux31a. I've installed linux on it, and after some degree of angst, have gotten the wifi card in it to work. Mouse gestures are a totally other story but :

my X (kde) is really slow. I think it's because some standard VGA drivers are loaded, where my intel HD4000 drivers should be. but I'm a linux nub, and don't know A. how to see what drivers are loaded after I startX, and B. how to change them for the appropriate ones on linuxgraphicsdrivers.org or whatever that site is.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

mindphlux posted:

so, I have an ASUS ux31a. I've installed linux on it, and after some degree of angst, have gotten the wifi card in it to work. Mouse gestures are a totally other story but :

my X (kde) is really slow. I think it's because some standard VGA drivers are loaded, where my intel HD4000 drivers should be. but I'm a linux nub, and don't know A. how to see what drivers are loaded after I startX, and B. how to change them for the appropriate ones on linuxgraphicsdrivers.org or whatever that site is.

look for a package called "xf86-video-intel" or something of that nature. That is the intel driver, though all of intel's drivers are open source so I don't know why it wouldn't just immediately install them by default.

Tern
Oct 18, 2012

mindphlux posted:

A. how to see what drivers are loaded after I startX, and B. how to change them for the appropriate ones on linuxgraphicsdrivers.org or whatever that site is.

A) Check /var/log/Xorg.*.log

B) If you do need to install drivers, do so through your distribution's package manager. In the Linux world, downloading and installing things from third party sites -- *especially* drivers -- is generally not recommended unless you know 1) how to determine if the software is safe 2) what the hell you're doing.

If you provide us with a distribution name we might be able to offer some more specific advice on how to set up X.

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
I've got a bug report in launchpad and I need to upload .xsession-errors but lightdm is crashing so I can only log in via TTY.
Is there a way to upload a file to launchpad for a bug that already exists?

angrytech
Jun 26, 2009
Heads up for all the steam-lovers:
http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Thanks for this. I had been checking the Steam Linux blog pretty much every day for this. You'd think they'd post it there, but I guess not.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 27, 2012

pian0majic21
Dec 22, 2011

by angerbrat
xfce <3

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Will Nouveau be updated over the course of 12.10, or will I have to wait for 13.04? It's pretty glitchy with titles and icons and I tried playing Black Mesa source and saw purple/black grids on (transparent?) surfaces and a big white diagonal line across the enter screen.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
So I'm trying to install Wine with the Software Center(apt-get wine next time ughghh), but it froze on 'applying changes' and from all the Googling I did, I'm pretty sure it's the EULA pop-up that's not popping up. So how do I fix this without breaking anything?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

The Merkinman posted:

Will Nouveau be updated over the course of 12.10, or will I have to wait for 13.04? It's pretty glitchy with titles and icons and I tried playing Black Mesa source and saw purple/black grids on (transparent?) surfaces and a big white diagonal line across the enter screen.

Short answer, no.

In general nouveau is much younger and not as fast (or stable?) as either amd or intel's open source driver offerings and is insufficient for running any intensive 3d applications. Still, it's very good for being reverse engineered without any direct help from nvidia.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Aafter posted:

So I'm trying to install Wine with the Software Center(apt-get wine next time ughghh), but it froze on 'applying changes' and from all the Googling I did, I'm pretty sure it's the EULA pop-up that's not popping up. So how do I fix this without breaking anything?
Presumably you mean the EULA popup from ttf-corefonts-installer

A general fix can be: sudo apt-get -f install

If that doesn't reprompt you ~ core fonts EULA you can investigate that further.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

angrytech posted:

I've got a bug report in launchpad and I need to upload .xsession-errors but lightdm is crashing so I can only log in via TTY.
Is there a way to upload a file to launchpad for a bug that already exists?
apport-collect will let you get a file that you can then save to some media that you can then repost from another computer

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
Sorry if this has been asked already, but is anyone working on a Cinnamon flavour of Ubuntu? I'm really liking where Cinnamon is going, and I'd like to use something that works out of the box without having to switch to Linux Mint (So I can still use the Ubuntu Software Center etc.).

Also having attempted an upgrade to 12.10 the other day, I really recommend that everyone treat it as a "beta" and stick with 12.04.1 unless there is something you REALLY want in 12.10. I still donated some cash though because 12.04.1 is just that good.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

MaterialConceptual posted:

Sorry if this has been asked already, but is anyone working on a Cinnamon flavour of Ubuntu? I'm really liking where Cinnamon is going, and I'd like to use something that works out of the box without having to switch to Linux Mint (So I can still use the Ubuntu Software Center etc.).

Also having attempted an upgrade to 12.10 the other day, I really recommend that everyone treat it as a "beta" and stick with 12.04.1 unless there is something you REALLY want in 12.10. I still donated some cash though because 12.04.1 is just that good.
You can just install the ubuntu software center and any other ubuntu stuff in mint. They use the same repos as regular ubuntu.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Zom Aur posted:

You can just install the ubuntu software center and any other ubuntu stuff in mint. They use the same repos as regular ubuntu.

Thanks, good to know.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I use Cinnamon as my primary environment in Xubuntu 12.04, and I haven't had any issues with it.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am running Xubuntu 12.10 on my rear end Eee PC 1001P netbook, I am very pleased and if it were not for class I would be attempting to run Linux on my desktop. I recently insalled an SSD in my netbook, I believe the file system in use is the default Ext4. I have not taken any other steps to prepare this install for an SSD, is there anything I need to be aware of? Also, the drive is Crucial M4 128GB, the drive states it has 000F firmware on the case, I have never verified this. Given Crucial's firmware issues, I would kind of like to verify that is in fact the firmware, can I do this on Linux? I know how to verify the firmware with windows but would prefer to keep that as a last resort option.

The only slight issues I have noticed are both USB related. First, when I plug in a flash drive, I get one icon on the desktop. In the file browser, I see the name of the device listed twice each with an eject icon. The drives work fine, and I click eject on listing in the file browser, and I am left with a notification that the drive was unmounted, the desktop icon goes away, and the drive becomes listed only once without an eject icon.

The second issues is related to my printer, it is a HP Deskjet F-4580. I have the printer connected via USB since I am not sure how to connect the printer via wifi. Also, when I used to have the printer connected to my windows 7 PC via wifi it was a tremendous pain because the printer would loose connection after a period of non-use, and a lot of times I had to fully remove and reinstall the drivers to get the printer working again. Finally, once I purchased refilled ink for my printer, despite all my best efforts the printer became unusable with Windows. Google said I dad to tell the printer to ignore the ink levels, but I had to calibrate printer to access that setting, and I had to have ink to print calibration settings. . . It wasn't going anywhere, and it remained in that state for months. Xubuntu has effectively brought my printer back from the dead thanks to ignoring the ink levels. :haw: Anyhow, I said there was an issue, and that is because my netbook is portable and I don't want to leave it tethered to my printer. The last time that I unpluged the printer I could not get Xubuntu to recognize the printer again. The printer would show up in printer settings with a green check mark but it would "deny" every print job. The solution I have found for this is to turn on the printer and plug it in before booting my netbook, is there a solution to this problem that would not require rebooting my netbook?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Looks like it'll be time to upgrade soon.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Maybe I just didnt noticed this on 12.04, but did the "other" login option get removed? I just joined my new install to my offices windows domain and I went to go login but that option is gone. How do I log in now?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

rugbert posted:

Maybe I just didnt noticed this on 12.04, but did the "other" login option get removed? I just joined my new install to my offices windows domain and I went to go login but that option is gone. How do I log in now?

I'm struggling to remember what the default login manager looks like (I use gdm) but I'm pretty sure you just click the cog shaped thing to change per-user login things, and then there are other options in the top right menu bar.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Why are there no Google Tasks options available for 12.10 :argh:

I can't apt-get Prism or Google-Tasks-Indicator, but both are available for 12.04 :argh:

...it's the little things.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

hifi posted:

I'm struggling to remember what the default login manager looks like (I use gdm) but I'm pretty sure you just click the cog shaped thing to change per-user login things, and then there are other options in the top right menu bar.

Nope, that cog wheel is gone anyway.

But I found the answer:

1- open /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf as root
2- add this at the end of the file: greeter-show-manual-login=true

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Ugh, so Amazon broke their Prime Instant Video player on Linux the other day. It attempts to update the Amazon player, then throws an error:

An error occurred and your player could not be updated. This is likely because your Flash Player or Browser needs to be updated. This update is required to play back this video.

This happens on my desktop and laptop, both running 12.10. From what I gather from Google, the solution is to install HAL, such as in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1987855. Hasn't HAL been depreciated for a long time now? What could Flash need it for? I'm hesitant to install HAL as I seem to remember having conflicts between HAL and udev in years past.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So I tried to install Skype from the software center, took a while but eventually stopped unsuccesfully. Now every time I try to sudo apt-get update I get the following:

quote:

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/commercial-ppa-uploaders/skype/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://archive.canonical.com/commercial-ppa-uploaders/skype/ubuntu/dists/quantal/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
However, if I look in /etc/apt/sources.list I see no mention of that ppa!

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Merkinman posted:

So I tried to install Skype from the software center, took a while but eventually stopped unsuccesfully. Now every time I try to sudo apt-get update I get the following:

However, if I look in /etc/apt/sources.list I see no mention of that ppa!

Look in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ for any *.list files

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

syzygy86 posted:

Ugh, so Amazon broke their Prime Instant Video player on Linux the other day. It attempts to update the Amazon player, then throws an error:

An error occurred and your player could not be updated. This is likely because your Flash Player or Browser needs to be updated. This update is required to play back this video.

This happens on my desktop and laptop, both running 12.10. From what I gather from Google, the solution is to install HAL, such as in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1987855. Hasn't HAL been depreciated for a long time now? What could Flash need it for? I'm hesitant to install HAL as I seem to remember having conflicts between HAL and udev in years past.
Yes, HAL has been deprecated for a long time now.

You could try installing Chromium (or Chrome) as it has a newer version of Flash -- Adobe stopped updating the Firefox version on Linux.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Small addendum: Chromium does not include Flash, since it isn't open-source. The integrated plugin is one of the few differences to Chrome.

Firefox, Chromium, etc use the standalone plugin that Adobe abandoned in February. We're heading into a Linux future where you either choose Chrome or an iOS style no-Flash experience on the web. For most mainstream users, this makes Chrome the only browser there is. Flash won't be relevant in a matter of years, but it'll be a most painful transition since Windows and Mac users may continue to be using Flash for some time to come, and the (desktop) web might coddle them long into the night.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 4, 2012

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Right, Chromium used the system Flash version. I just installed Chrome and Amazon throws a different error:

Amazon posted:

If you're using the Chrome browser with Linux, you must disable PPAPI to continue using Amazon Instant Video. You can also use a different Web browser, like Firefox.

It then links to a FAQ entry that says this:

Amazon posted:

The Flash Player Plugin in Chrome removed support for Digital Rights Management (DRM) in Linux as part of the upgrade from 11.3 to 11.4. This upgrade was bundled with the latest Chrome 22 update for Linux. If you applied the Chrome update, you are no longer able to watch DRM-protected content, such as movies and TV episodes. Trailers are unaffected as they do not use DRM. To get around this issue, you can use a different browser, such as Firefox. For information on Chrome and the Flash Player plug-in, see: https://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=108086.

This bums me out, I really liked that Amazon Prime always worked in Linux, unlike Netflix. Well, at least I still have a virtual machine with Windows.

As an aside, the Chrome .deb causes the software center to throw a warning of "This package is of bad quality". In particular:
E: google-chrome-stable: file-in-etc-not-marked-as-conffile etc/cron.daily/google-chrome

I assume this is harmless, but what are the implications of the cron script not being marked as a conf file?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

We're heading into a Linux future where you either choose Chrome or an iOS style no-Flash experience on the web.
Or maybe we could be optimistic about Lightspark

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

syzygy86 posted:

Right, Chromium used the system Flash version. I just installed Chrome and Amazon throws a different error:

It then links to a FAQ entry that says this:

This bums me out, I really liked that Amazon Prime always worked in Linux, unlike Netflix. Well, at least I still have a virtual machine with Windows.

As an aside, the Chrome .deb causes the software center to throw a warning of "This package is of bad quality". In particular:
E: google-chrome-stable: file-in-etc-not-marked-as-conffile etc/cron.daily/google-chrome

I assume this is harmless, but what are the implications of the cron script not being marked as a conf file?

If you're desperate you can install xbmc and hunt down the Amazon plugin. It should allow you to watch without flash.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Craptacular! posted:

Firefox, Chromium, etc use the standalone plugin that Adobe abandoned in February. We're heading into a Linux future where you either choose Chrome or an iOS style no-Flash experience on the web. For most mainstream users, this makes Chrome the only browser there is. Flash won't be relevant in a matter of years, but it'll be a most painful transition since Windows and Mac users may continue to be using Flash for some time to come, and the (desktop) web might coddle them long into the night.
This is wrong. Adobe abandoned the plugin that uses NPAPI. Browsers which use PPAPI can install the new plugin and it works just fine. This is the same plugin that's shipped with chrome, but you can use it in chromium just fine. I haven't tried it with firefox yet though.

So no, it's not "chrome or bust", rather "PPAPI-compatible browser or old flash (which still gets security updates from adobe)".

E: https://wiki.mozilla.org/NPAPI:Pepper

quote:

Mozilla is not interested in or working on Pepper at this time. See the Chrome Pepper pages.

So firefox doesn't support PPAPI yet.

dont skimp on the shrimp fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 4, 2012

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Is it Adobe that is taking the DRM features out of the PPAPI version of Flash? Or is Google cutting out features they don't want to support? It seems silly to me that they would want to take the DRM features out. HTML5 video is great and all, but there's no way the major studios will stream content without DRM. I guess they just don't want to support it for the limited number of Linux users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
There's kind of a candle burning at both ends when it comes to official support for Linux from the mainstream entertainment industry.

1: The industry doesn't notice. If it does notice, it probably sees that users have the entire source to every component of the operating system and thinking DRM will be too easily broken. See how Netflix doesn't care about Linux to the point where they finally supported Android but still refuse to support desktop Linux.

2. A large number of people who do use Linux are not interested in consuming commercial content, and a small number are more interested in bending studios deal with them on their terms (i.e abandoning all DRM and embracing open source) rather than the other way around. These people may not be the majority in an Ubuntu/Mint world, but they are some of the loudest voices. Because of their ideological bent, they'll post on forums that they only watch independent films released under a Community Commons license, while in the background downloading The.Avengers.x264-SCENE.mkv in BitTorrent.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 5, 2012

• Locked thread