Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Wade Wilson posted:

Putting this on my wish list so when I get my credit next month I can get it for $8 instead of $15.

The fact that this is narrated by both Stephen Lang and Arnold is going to make this really fun to listen to, isn't it?

Arnold only does the beginning and the end.
After reading listening to his book, you realize just how busy the guy is all the time.

He's got the bodybuilding business, mail-order, fan-service, movies, real estate, stocks & bonds, fundraisers, charity events, lectures, and more besides- to look after.

It's in three parts:
1.) Life in Austria and body building career + moving to California
2.) Movies and his family life with Maria
3.) Political career, more movies, and his affair + epilogue

His political views are quite interesting.
Arnold tends to be more progressive than the Democrats in some ways (and way more than his preferred party).
Almost like a Canadian conservative.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mister Macys posted:

I've bought up to God Emperor. The first three books are the best.
The next three are a... product of their time. ( :lsd: )
I just can't get through them.
Also Frank Herbert got old and like most science fiction authors who aren't Clarke or Asimov he got increasingly smutty with age.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Got Cloud Atlas. It's got a great narrator.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Strange Matter posted:

Also Frank Herbert got old and like most science fiction authors who aren't Clarke or Asimov he got increasingly smutty with age.

Call it the Heinlein effect.

I listened to the first book of Nine Princes in Amber and I enjoyed both the story and the narrator. It is short, but otherwise it is a solid listen.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^^ I read the first and second recently, they were great, although I kind of wandered away from the second book midstory, I'll definitely re-listen to them both sometime in the near future. I'm kind of kicking myself for not having picked these up 10 or 20 years back since I've been hearing about them all my life, but I thought it was a much more stereotypical High Fantasy setting.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

coyo7e posted:

^^^^ I read the first and second recently, they were great, although I kind of wandered away from the second book midstory, I'll definitely re-listen to them both sometime in the near future. I'm kind of kicking myself for not having picked these up 10 or 20 years back since I've been hearing about them all my life, but I thought it was a much more stereotypical High Fantasy setting.

You're better off stopping before the story focus moves from Corwin to Merlin, because gently caress that whiny bitch that gets ridiculously lucky at every turn and finds a relic that lets him tap into the power of lobotomized gods.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

They're long books, but worth it. The author could have split those two books into four and no one would have noticed though.

Yes, over half through the second book (e; of The Kingkiller Chronicle). The story really picked up part way through the first book. It's good entertainment and a good value. The second book could easily be two books.

wildmamboqueen
May 31, 2001

mad about the mage
The Great Twist
Hello thread! I've been a big fan of audiobooks since the walkman days, checking cassettes out of the library for long road trips. I was a big fan of "Seeing Ear Theater" on scifi.com back in the 28/k days. And I love the explosion of talent and titles in the past decade.

So I thought I would pass along a couple of recommendations:

Stand on Zanzibar (Unabridged): By far, the most amazing audiobook experience I have had to date. Clocking in at 21 hours long(!), any fan of John Brunner's novel will not be disappointed with this adaptation. The single narrator is extremely good at conveying the rhythm of the text, which at times is humorous, thought provoking, chilling, and downright strange in its prescience. I cannot recommend this title enough.

Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way: Very entertaining insider's look at the making of a film. Bruce is a good narrator, and the anecdotes are pretty funny.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

wildmamboqueen posted:

Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way: Very entertaining insider's look at the making of a film. Bruce is a good narrator, and the anecdotes are pretty funny.

In terms of content, I much preferred his previous book, Confessions of a B Movie Actor myself.

Audible's offering a free Neil Gaiman (written and narrated) short story for Halloween:
Click-Clack the Rattlebag.

And for any of you who tried and liked Of Rice and Men, there's a similar, contemporary novel; Fobbit (soldiers stationed in Forward Operating Base Triumph).
It's set during the second war in Iraq, pre-Saddam trial, if I recall correctly.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 27, 2012

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

wildmamboqueen posted:

Hello thread! I've been a big fan of audiobooks since the walkman days, checking cassettes out of the library for long road trips. I was a big fan of "Seeing Ear Theater" on scifi.com back in the 28/k days. And I love the explosion of talent and titles in the past decade.

So I thought I would pass along a couple of recommendations:

Stand on Zanzibar (Unabridged): By far, the most amazing audiobook experience I have had to date. Clocking in at 21 hours long(!), any fan of John Brunner's novel will not be disappointed with this adaptation. The single narrator is extremely good at conveying the rhythm of the text, which at times is humorous, thought provoking, chilling, and downright strange in its prescience. I cannot recommend this title enough.

Thx! I am a big Brunner fan and have never listened to an audio version of a novel of his. I will have to give a listen to what some have always referred to as his best novel.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
Scott Sigler was already mentioned in this thread, and I'm almost done with all of his audio stuff... so I was hoping someone has any good recommendations for some other horror novels in audiobook format.

I'm usually not into the horror genre, but I found them to be pretty entertaining to listen to, especially when I make disgusted faces around work or at home to other's amusement. I really liked Scott's over the top blood, gore, and all around horrific scenes.

Anything zombie-ish would be great too, though I've already read Feed by Mira Grant, Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry, and World War Z by Max Brooks.

edit: Forgot to mention I already plan on reading th rest of Mira Grant's newflesh trilogy.

feverish and oversexed fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 7, 2012

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

leftover posted:

Scott Sigler was already mentioned in this thread, and I'm almost done with all of his audio stuff... so I was hoping someone has any good recommendations for some other horror novels in audiobook format.

I'm usually not into the horror genre, but I found them to be pretty entertaining to listen to, especially when I make disgusted faces around work or at home to other's amusement. I really liked Scott's over the top blood, gore, and all around horrific scenes.

Anything zombie-ish would be great too, though I've already read Feed by Mira Grant, Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry, and World War Z by Max Brooks.

edit: Forgot to mention I already plan on reading th rest of Mira Grant's newflesh trilogy.
First things first, did you listen to his podcasts full of advertisements for other podcasters and indie authors? At least every other one is for a horror 'cast or author, I was especially pleased with the Seventh Son series which I found from a co-advert which he put on his podcast in return for the other author advertising his, iirc.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

coyo7e posted:

First things first, did you listen to his podcasts full of advertisements for other podcasters and indie authors? At least every other one is for a horror 'cast or author, I was especially pleased with the Seventh Son series which I found from a co-advert which he put on his podcast in return for the other author advertising his, iirc.

I sort of tuned the advertisements out, but I have listened to 7th son years ago and completely forgotten about it. I'll definitely give it another whirl, thanks for reminding me!

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007

leftover posted:

Not sure why I loved this book so much but Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines is a book about a world with superheroes that gets overrun with zombies.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Keep in mind that while World War Z is excellent and has fantastic production values/talent for an audio book, it is the abridged version. Some stories cut out, some cut short.

It's still excellent though, barring that.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Started listening to Sex On The Moon. I'm about ten chapters in, and the story is really quite interesting, I'm really getting into it. But Casey Aflek is reading the book. I guess he'd doing a decent enough job, I don't mind him as an actor, but while he's reading, he just sounds kinda sleepy the whole time.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just finished 11-22-63 by Stephen King, performed by Craig Wasson. Holy poo poo what an absolutely exceptional narration. The novel was quite good but the performance really sent it over the top.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
I heartily recommend any part of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series narrated by Patrick Tull. The narration itself is stunningly good, and the story has deeply engaged me through four books so far... four books in the last ten days, that is. I only listen to audiobooks at work, and so regular is my habit that it feels as if an "Audible" line item should appear on my weekly paycheck under Social Security, Health Insurance, and Federal Income Tax.

Cassian of Imola fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 9, 2012

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I am listening to the Eragon series (Inheritance Cycle) while I wait for the last Wheel of Time book to come out. Has anyone listened to these books? Gerard Doyle's narration is good but every time he voices Saphira I can't help but picture her as a female version of Yoda.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!

Ice Phisherman posted:

Keep in mind that while World War Z is excellent and has fantastic production values/talent for an audio book, it is the abridged version. Some stories cut out, some cut short.

It's still excellent though, barring that.

I actually read that book, just thought I'd mention it since I was asking for zombie titles.

Clinton1011 posted:

Not sure why I loved this book so much but Ex-Heroes by Peter Clines is a book about a world with superheroes that gets overrun with zombies.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's next in queue as I'm almost done with the newflesh trilogy, then I'll work my way through the 7th Son series coyo7e reminded me of.
That should keep me going for a few months!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

leftover posted:

I actually read that book, just thought I'd mention it since I was asking for zombie titles.

Thanks for the suggestion, it's next in queue as I'm almost done with the newflesh trilogy, then I'll work my way through the 7th Son series coyo7e reminded me of.
That should keep me going for a few months!
If you're game for non-horror, I would most strongly recommend Seth Harwood's website, and anything by him.

"Jack Wakes Up" is great fun along the lines of "Get Shorty" or something, and "A Long Way From Disney" can pull tears.

Mr N
Oct 20, 2010
Has anyone here tried any of the Gormenghast audio books at all? Or in fact read them even? I got the series in book form for a birthday and have been meaning to read it for a while, but I'm quite enjoying listening to audio books in bed these days, and I wondered if any of the ones on audible are worth it.

And talking of listening in bed I just started At the Mountains of Madness narrated by Wayne June. I always thought Lovecraft's stories would be well suited to being in audio book form and when I heard this guy I knew I had to give it a go. It's the perfect kind of story to lie down and let the atmosphere flow over and consume you, and Wayne's deep, growly voice doesn't hurt at all.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Just so you know a few dozen books are being released on the 27th. This is the big release date before Christmas in order to get some serious promotion time going.

It looks like Jim Butcher's Cold Days is being released soon, and it's being done by James Marsters again this time instead of whatsisface.

If you're big into sci-fi, fantasy, urban fantasy, etc, go and check out audible on Tuesday. There's a decent chance that things have been updated.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

Just so you know a few dozen books are being released on the 27th. This is the big release date before Christmas in order to get some serious promotion time going.

It looks like Jim Butcher's Cold Days is being released soon, and it's being done by James Marsters again this time instead of whatsisface.

If you're big into sci-fi, fantasy, urban fantasy, etc, go and check out audible on Tuesday. There's a decent chance that things have been updated.

Pre-order here!

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
This is my first pre-order through audible, at what time does it normally switch from pre-order to available? I also pre-ordered the new Iron Druid book as well.
Edit: Just checked the pre-order page and there is a count down, 9 hours left so about 2am EST.

Also I noticed that audible has a return option for books you have purchased in the last 12 months. I ordered a book while drunk and the next day really wished I hadn't wasted the credit. I used this return option and they gave me the credit back while only asking why I disliked the book. This was all automated as well and I got my credit back instantly. Audible is always amazing me with their customer service.

Clinton1011 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 26, 2012

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Clinton1011 posted:

Audible is always amazing me with their customer service.
They're an Amazon company so yeah they have incredible customer service.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Any suggestions for an audiobook with a narrators voice that can lull me to sleep?

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
Blue Remembered Earth.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Any suggestions for an audiobook with a narrators voice that can lull me to sleep?

How to Win Friends and Influence people.

The author is clear, concise, well voiced and if you're not actively paying attention he will put you to sleep in five minutes.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Winston Churchill's Memoirs of the Second World War, the audiobook that drat near cured my insomnia.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I just started Hannu Rajaneimi's The Quantum Thief based on recommendations from the thread in this subforum, and the narration is mesmerizing. I'm only two chapters in and I'm completely hooked.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Is the subscription for audible worth it? If I am getting maybe one or two audiobooks a month?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Two seems worth it, one is okay if you're going through the trial period.

Essentially for two books a month you're getting them for around eleven dollars each. One is fifteen. Buying books full price (or even with audible's discount) for straight cash is too rich for my blood.

I don't really hold a subscription as much as I sign up for the subscription for two books, buy said two books and then cancel my subscription as soon as possible. You can do this as many times as you want.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Ulio posted:

Is the subscription for audible worth it? If I am getting maybe one or two audiobooks a month?

I've been doing one a month and enojoying it, but my local city library also has a pretty decent assortment of free, downloadable audiobooks. You get to check them out like you would a normal book, and have access to download them for a time. Normally, I just move them over to my Ipod and they sit there until I get a chance to listen.

So the library is my main source, then I use audible to pick up stuff I really want to check out but the library isn't offering on their website. That being said, I've got somewhere around 25 audibooks on my ipod currently waiting to be listened to, so I'm thinking it might be in my best interest to cancel it and give myself some time to catch up and save some money.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Kneel Before Zog posted:

The National Parks narrated by Ken Burns.

Last Call: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition is excellent, entertaining, and very engrossing.

Nine Princes in Amber also has a narrator which I enjoy listening to as I nod off - the narrator and prose for Corwin feel sort of clipped or curt, like a hard-boiled private eye in a crime noir movie.\

non-literary recommendation: Hardcore History from the Dan Carlin podcast. Extremely high production values; Dan Carlin has been a radio professional for many years, and it shows. http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hh

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 29, 2012

StellaMcFly
Nov 10, 2012
I echo a sentiment from early on in the thread, in that I prefer to listen to nonfiction and pick up a book for fiction. It may be odd, but it works for me. I really like all of the Michael Pollan audiobooks, and I highly recommend them for anyone open to the idea of nonfiction audio with an interest in why and how we eat what we eat. I usually go for historical, political, critical sociology/socioreligious, psychology, or scientific genres for my audiobook nonfiction.

Also, I am thrilled that there are so many people here who not only know who Roger Zelazny is, but also love his work. :keke:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I didn't know much of anything about him until I got into Amber recently however, he's a pretty cracked pot. That quote of his where he's bitching about there not having been a NAMBLA around when he was a horny confused minor were :psypop:

StellaMcFly
Nov 10, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I didn't know much of anything about him until I got into Amber recently however, he's a pretty cracked pot. That quote of his where he's bitching about there not having been a NAMBLA around when he was a horny confused minor were :psypop:

There are things that kill my childhood a little bit when I read them. That just topped my list. Where did you hear/read that? I'm not sure I want to know, but I feel I need to.

Also, back in the land of audiobooks, I really enjoyed "The Psychopath Test" by Jon Ronson. Regardless of whether you buy into it or not, it's fascinating stuff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

You're thinking of Samuel Delany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ok, looks like signing up for the discount and cancelling is a good strategy. Thanks