Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
It came from Facebook:

My mom and dad know a lot of crazy Republicans, and I couldn't help posting this discussion. My dad works for the government and posted initially:

The last guy is my uncle who I've got into arguments before about how the pill is "unnatural and messes with a woman's cycle".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Schmeichy posted:

It came from Facebook:

My mom and dad know a lot of crazy Republicans, and I couldn't help posting this discussion. My dad works for the government and posted initially:

The last guy is my uncle who I've got into arguments before about how the pill is "unnatural and messes with a woman's cycle".

Lemon Grab is right on the money with this one with his signature catch phrase. Also, suggesting doctors chose their profession entirely because they get paid high salaries is awesome.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Parachute posted:

Lemon Grab is right on the money with this one with his signature catch phrase. Also, suggesting doctors chose their profession entirely because they get paid high salaries is awesome.

I couldn't even begin to respond to those commenters. What makes it worse is that I know all these people, and they all belong to the same church that my dad does. Yes, let's see... we've got gently caress the "poor", taking advantage of the dead, God apparently has a political agenda, Christians should stand by Israel, and doctors are moneygrubbers. What a fine example of Christian attitudes. The sad thing is, I know from experience that arguing by using facts is useless.

The full post about doctors:

"I don't need to vote against Obama for any reason but this: Obamacare will destroy healthcare in America. Why? Because doctors make money by making people better. Once they HAVE to do it, it will suck the life and inspiration out of them. America healthcare is sought after because of our FREE MARKET SOCIETY( don't call it capitalism unless your a communist!) Our current healthcare at it's worst will still provide for everyone, because someone out there who has the ability will care. Once we have to do it the doctors won't have the energy to care and only the politicians will get decent healthcare.
I still need innovations in the medicine. Starting a health system that is known for its short comings is a very bad idea!"

So much stupid in one post.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Schmeichy posted:

FREE MARKET SOCIETY( don't call it capitalism unless your a communist!)

What in the world? "Capitalism" isn't even, like, Marxist prose. It's a term everyone from every political party uses.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
When all you see is House, it's not really surprising that you think that doctors need a flash of inspiration to help people, instead of just doing rote procedures

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
God I can't think of anything worse than a 'creative' doctor.

"Hey man we're gonna try this rando treatment on you, no one's tested it yet but trust me, I've been struck by inspiration."

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Countblanc posted:

What in the world? "Capitalism" isn't even, like, Marxist prose. It's a term everyone from every political party uses.

UGH. I think it's part of the re-branding using different language that the Republican Party likes to do? Or just stupidity. Probably stupidity.

muike posted:

When all you see is House, it's not really surprising that you think that doctors need a flash of inspiration to help people, instead of just doing rote procedures

What's worse is that my aunt (his wife) works in healthcare.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Schmeichy posted:

"I don't need to vote against Obama for any reason but this: Obamacare will destroy healthcare in America. Why? Because doctors make money by making people better. Once they HAVE to do it, it will suck the life and inspiration out of them. America healthcare is sought after because of our FREE MARKET SOCIETY( don't call it capitalism unless your a communist!) Our current healthcare at it's worst will still provide for everyone, because someone out there who has the ability will care. Once we have to do it the doctors won't have the energy to care and only the politicians will get decent healthcare.
I still need innovations in the medicine. Starting a health system that is known for its short comings is a very bad idea!"

There are just so many people our health care system has completely failed, leaving them bankrupt or just dead. I'm lucky to have a job that provides a decent health plan; when I tried to get insurance while I was freelancing it started at around $200 a month and kept rocketing up from there. American healthcare is awesome if you have unlimited funds to pay for treatment, but since I have a preexisting condition they weren't interested in getting my business at any price a normal human being can afford. The free market at work! :911:

But of course, that post was utterly lacking in any specifics about what's so horrible about the ACA in the first place.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Guilty Spork posted:

There are just so many people our health care system has completely failed, leaving them bankrupt or just dead. I'm lucky to have a job that provides a decent health plan; when I tried to get insurance while I was freelancing it started at around $200 a month and kept rocketing up from there. American healthcare is awesome if you have unlimited funds to pay for treatment, but since I have a preexisting condition they weren't interested in getting my business at any price a normal human being can afford. The free market at work! :911:

But of course, that post was utterly lacking in any specifics about what's so horrible about the ACA in the first place.

I re-posted something from the D&D heathcare thread on Facebook, about how children already have to lawyer up to get treatment, and that less money for medicaid would lead to more sick kids. He replied something to the effect of "my wife works in a hospital and no one would refuse treatment to a kid. That wouldn't happen in the real world." Man is deluded.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Schmeichy posted:

UGH. I think it's part of the re-branding using different language that the Republican Party likes to do? Or just stupidity. Probably stupidity.

No, it's a rebranding thing. From Frank Luntz personally. Apparently, people respond better to "Free Market" than "Capitalism".

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sarion posted:

No, it's a rebranding thing. From Frank Luntz personally. Apparently, people respond better to "Free Market" than "Capitalism".

It has "free" in it, it has to be good!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Schmeichy posted:

It came from Facebook:

The third guy must not know that federal employees can transfer pretty easily between federal jobs for which they are qualified. Veterans get preference, and current federal employees get preference AND advance notice of new positions or even new positions created for them.

That said, I doubt I'll ever apply for another federal job. My last one was the most soul-destroying poo poo carnival I've ever experienced.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

That said, I doubt I'll ever apply for another federal job. My last one was the most soul-destroying poo poo carnival I've ever experienced.

My fiance has been applying for federal jobs for a year now and can't get in due to hiring constraints.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

VideoTapir posted:

The third guy must not know that federal employees can transfer pretty easily between federal jobs for which they are qualified. Veterans get preference, and current federal employees get preference AND advance notice of new positions or even new positions created for them.

I laughed at that one. It's especially stupid if you know that my Dad was affected by the FAA furlough last year and seriously worried about losing the job he's done for almost 20 years. Mentioning downsizing is still a sore subject.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Schmeichy posted:

Well, those are both things that are literally true about the majority of hormonal contraceptives. Mostly cause it gets really expensive to extract the required compounds from horse urine, and if it didn't mess with her cycle it wouldn't work, but hey.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Sagebrush posted:

Well, those are both things that are literally true about the majority of hormonal contraceptives. Mostly cause it gets really expensive to extract the required compounds from horse urine, and if it didn't mess with her cycle it wouldn't work, but hey.

I looked back on Facebook, and in response to an extremely long "pro-life means you should care about the already alive" post that I made, here's the reply:

"No hospitals would turn anyone away! They have charity cases they write off daily. That was part of Jessi's job for a while. And the lawyers would sue them if they didn't care for them! What we need and need to keep in this country is doctors that have the time to do research, instead of running around doing whatever the government tells them to do, because when the money runs short or the government doesn't want to deal with it no voter is going to save a life! Planned Parenthood only has one purpose. That purpose is what most doctors won't do, abortion! Womens health is not being threatened by Republicans, it's more in danger by organizations performing dangerous procedures like abortions, birth control(which messes with the natural cycle of a woman) and telling them they can do whatever they want in a disease ridden planet. Republicans say this stuff is dangerous(which it is) and they are villified!"

I responded to him using a source or two, and he responded again:

"You do not know that hospitals refuse patients...do you know what HIPA is? Planned Parenthood has no existence without abortion. The other services would be done by doctors who would gladly go without pay as long as they are moral. I know enough of them that would. Doctors do something unfathomable by some, and that is work more than 40 hours a week, spending more time than they have keeping people not only alive but healthy! Again, I know this personally. Another thing, I've heard lawyers say more than once 'if the jury doesn't feel sympathy for the case it won't win.' So, what I like to do is trust God and what I know to be true. Not what someone says and not what someone writes in an article(I've learned people can write about anything they want in an article, because their sources won't disagree with a story that makes them look good.)

I'm glad you are using your brain. I just know too many of your comments are wrong."

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
At that point you just tell them to die in a car fire because nothing in the world except "what he knows to be true" will ever matter. He is the worst type of person.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I'm all for not writing someone off and arguing that you can change people's minds.

But when they straight up say "I don't trust facts, because of personal experience." drop it. There's no convincing them at all.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

XyloJW posted:

I'm all for not writing someone off and arguing that you can change people's minds.

But when they straight up say "I don't trust facts, because of personal experience." drop it. There's no convincing them at all.

I always let people know exactly this when I'm dropping out of similar discussions. Mainly because they definitely don't give you the same courtesy, and will often abandon the argument once they feel they are backed in to a corner. Of course, "feeling like they are backed in to a corner" is pretty much the entire issue in a nutshell - there is no corner, they just refuse to acknowledge the facts in their face.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Schmeichy posted:

I looked back on Facebook, and in response to an extremely long "pro-life means you should care about the already alive" post that I made, here's the reply:

"No hospitals would turn anyone away! They have charity cases they write off daily. That was part of Jessi's job for a while. And the lawyers would sue them if they didn't care for them! What we need and need to keep in this country is doctors that have the time to do research, instead of running around doing whatever the government tells them to do, because when the money runs short or the government doesn't want to deal with it no voter is going to save a life! Planned Parenthood only has one purpose. That purpose is what most doctors won't do, abortion! Womens health is not being threatened by Republicans, it's more in danger by organizations performing dangerous procedures like abortions, birth control(which messes with the natural cycle of a woman) and telling them they can do whatever they want in a disease ridden planet. Republicans say this stuff is dangerous(which it is) and they are villified!"

"You do not know that hospitals refuse patients...do you know what HIPA is? Planned Parenthood has no existence without abortion. The other services would be done by doctors who would gladly go without pay as long as they are moral. I know enough of them that would. Doctors do something unfathomable by some, and that is work more than 40 hours a week, spending more time than they have keeping people not only alive but healthy! Again, I know this personally. Another thing, I've heard lawyers say more than once 'if the jury doesn't feel sympathy for the case it won't win.' So, what I like to do is trust God and what I know to be true. Not what someone says and not what someone writes in an article(I've learned people can write about anything they want in an article, because their sources won't disagree with a story that makes them look good.)

I'm glad you are using your brain. I just know too many of your comments are wrong."

Isn't this the same person who earlier said this?

Schmeichy posted:

I couldn't even begin to respond to those commenters. What makes it worse is that I know all these people, and they all belong to the same church that my dad does. Yes, let's see... we've got gently caress the "poor", taking advantage of the dead, God apparently has a political agenda, Christians should stand by Israel, and doctors are moneygrubbers. What a fine example of Christian attitudes. The sad thing is, I know from experience that arguing by using facts is useless.

Doctors would gladly go without pay as long as they're doing the right thing! But also, they're only in it for the money.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Schmeichy posted:

Ask him how he decides "what he knows to be true"? How does he know? Did he learn it from someone else? Did he read about it? Did he eat a bowl of A-Z spaghettios and they spelled it out to him in a message from God? It's pretty obvious he is willfully ignorant and trying to paint your evidence as irrelevant. Saying "No it's not" isn't going to get you far, but if you can lead him along until he admits he uses the same sources of information as everyone else, then he'll either accept that he is being closed minded to protect his own personal beliefs that are factually wrong or he won't.

I'd bank on the latter though, yeesh.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Yeah, that last exchange from the previous conversation was when I stopped responding. I got pretty offended by the "good job using your brain". Another guy in the conversation said something like that too. I got either an anti-intellectual or a misogynist vibe from it, and I knew that I was going to start posting more angrily, which I prefer not to do on Facebook or with relatives. I debated whether or not I should try to get the last word in, but I opted not to.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I found my dad watching this video, laughing up a storm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSxDE1QCHA4

I angrily pointed out how misogynistic the video was, and of course he defended it: why shouldn't someone make fun of a woman for acting a certain way? Also, he pointed out that Lena Dunham has the same last name as Obama's mom! :tinfoil:

I just can't understand how a man who married a second-wave feminist and raised a daughter with her could be such a chauvinist. I'd say more, but I'm super-angry about it all.

E: Sorry, wrong link

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 27, 2012

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dDSmKbwiR0

I angrily pointed out how misogynistic the video was, and of course he defended it: why shouldn't someone make fun of a woman for acting a certain way? Also, he pointed out that Lena Dunham has the same last name as Obama's mom! :tinfoil:

I just can't understand how a man who married a second-wave feminist and raised a daughter with her could be such a chauvinist. I'd say more, but I'm super-angry about it all.

Sponge Bob is misogynistic?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Pththya-lyi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dDSmKbwiR0
Wrong link? 'Cause I'm getting Spongebob.

e:f;b

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Sorry, that link was WAY the gently caress off.

Here's the correct one again, just to make sure you don't miss the suck:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSxDE1QCHA4

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Honestly not sure where to post about this, since it could probably just as easily be in the "Dittoheads" thread.

On the way back from the store a little while ago, I switched over to the local right-wing station, where some guy was talking about the tax plans of Romney v. Obama.

If I didn't already know which way he leaned, it became fairly obvious when he introduced a segment that he claimed had been "written by an economics professor," and then launched into the "ten men drinking beer together" FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD story.

I couldn't even get through thirty seconds before I had to switch channels.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guilty Spork posted:

The people who utterly despise Obama with a side of racist kindling, aren't very subtle about it. They emphasize his middle name as though it meant something bad, or call him BHO, or get into idiotic poo poo like "Obummer."

Some left-wingers call him "Obomba". Because he's bombing all those people in the Middle East and South Asia! :haw:

I try to avoid being childish in my criticism of people. There's this left-wing blogger who constantly does this, but I doubt it would be very interesting for you guys, since it's all in Hebrew.

Walter posted:

Honestly not sure where to post about this, since it could probably just as easily be in the "Dittoheads" thread.

On the way back from the store a little while ago, I switched over to the local right-wing station, where some guy was talking about the tax plans of Romney v. Obama.

If I didn't already know which way he leaned, it became fairly obvious when he introduced a segment that he claimed had been "written by an economics professor," and then launched into the "ten men drinking beer together" FWD:FWD:FWD:FWD story.

I couldn't even get through thirty seconds before I had to switch channels.

I was once forced to listen to right-wing talk radio when I was at a laundromat. I don't understand why more right-winged seniors don't just die of high blood pressure due to constant exposure to this angertainment.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
http://www.ijreview.com/2012/10/20206-must-watch-video/

Has been doing the rounds for me. Hits all the good points. "TOO MUCH GOLF, DEFICIT, COMMUNISM, MARX, FREEDOM" Thentrots out Limbaugh and Hannity as voices of reason in a troubled world.

ElmerTheWasabi
Dec 3, 2004
I got this great wall of text from a friend on Facebook:

quote:

From a former military friend on FB:
This why you can't trust Obama, he lacks moral fortitude, he's just another opportunistic self-serving politician trying to take credit where it is NOT due. All armed forces members, past and present, send this rear end a message, you don't deserve or qualify to live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW.

On Sat, 10/27/1
Read all the way to the end - a touching tribute from a fellow Seal...
Can someone tell me why this kind of news is misconstrued? What, or whom are we protecting?
Will the real life story of incredible bravery, and the extreme courage of warriors Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods be lost just because of Machiavellian politics ?

Updates as more information is coming through. Even if the true story of their heroism casts an uncomfortable light of truth upon the lies told by President Obama and his administration we will tell it. They deserve it.

President Obama implied, quite intentionally, in his Weekly Address that Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods were part of Ambassador Christopher Steven’s security detail:
“Glen and Tyrone had each served America as Navy SEALs for many years, before continuing their service providing security for our diplomats in Libya. They died as they lived their lives — defending their fellow Americans, and advancing the values that all of us hold dear. -President Obama (Weekly address)

Sounds good, the only problem is this statement is a total fabrication. Yes, they were both former Navy Seals, but neither Tyrone nor Glen were part of the Ambassadors official security detail.
No. The truth is: they heard the attack, they heard the gunfire, and despite the danger to themselves they rushed into the breach taking weapons from the frightened Libyan security officials to help protect the American Consulate, Ambassador Stevens and his embassy aide Sean Smith.
Both Tyrone Woods and Glen Doherty were under no obligation to assist, protect or defend Stevens. They could have bugged out, they didn’t….. They ran into the breach. It was, and is, an important enough distinction such that two U.S. officials quickly wanted to tell the truth. They told the Guardian:

[...] they feared the Obama administration’s scant description of the episode left a misimpression that the two ex-Navy SEALs might have been responsible for the ambassador’s personal safety or become separated from him.
“Woods and Doherty weren’t part of the detail, nor were they personally responsible for the ambassador’s security, but they stepped into the breach when the attacks occurred and their actions saved others lives — and they shouldn’t be lumped in with the security detail,” …..
According to what scant actual information is available the former seal team members, Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods, appear to have been in Libya because they were contracted by another intelligence office, probably the CIA, to track down the missing surface-to-air missiles from the initial rebel uprising.
During the Gadaffi overthrow massive stockpiles of Libyan weapons including MANPADS and other surface to air missiles were looted from the military storage facilities. Estimates put the number of missing missiles around 20,000.
It appears Doherty and Woods were in Libya to track down those weapons. As a consequence of their visit they were crashed at an annex to the US consulate grounds using it as a safe place to meet, coordinate, and evaluate their ongoing intel. Their location was approximately a half mile from the main consulate compound area.

They were inside an annex building when the main consulate complex came under attack from the Libyan al-Qaeda terrorists. They heard the distant shots and responded to a call for help from the compound itself. Both Woods and Doherty evaluated the assassination attempt, and immediately took up arms to defend Ambassador Stevens.
Their heroism is incredible when you consider what they were facing. Doherty and Woods reached the main compound of the Consulate and evacuated approximately 20 employees. Unfortunately, Ambassador Steven’s aide Sean Smith was already dead when they arrived. Woods and Doherty fought through the firefight, and took the consulate employees back to the annex building where again they came under another wave of attacks.
Between the initial firefight at the Main Consulate, and at the annex building, for over two hours they were able to fight back against approximately 200 al-Qaeda terrorists, who pre-planned and coordinated the attack to occur in two stages.
The second wave of attacks at the annex brought even more firepower upon them. Yet they held their position providing time for the 20 consulate employees to be rescued. In total for over two hours they held off upwards of 200 attackers, under heavy fire from RPGs, mortars, and at least one 23mm Anti Aircraft gun firing on their position(s) around the consulate grounds and the annex building.

This story must be told. The heroism of Doherty and Woods MUST surface. They deserve it. Unfortunately, because the truth represents a risk to the manipulated narrative of the White House and State Department, it will be up to outsiders to keep the pressure on and force the truth to the surface.
If we leave it up to the Administration and the State Department we will probably never know the TRUTH and the heroism of Woods and Doherty will not be fully recognized or appreciated.
These guys died while defending US interests because they were brave patriots who put country ahead of self.
We will not let their courage be hidden or diminished. I promise to do all I can to keep their story in the spotlight and provide their family the full measure of appreciation for their bravery.
They deserve it.
We will not forget, and will keep fighting for the recognition they deserve.

Brandon Webb is a former Navy SEAL, author of a memoir, “The Red Circle,” and editor-in-chief of SOFREP (Special Operations Forces Report). He served with his best friend, Glen Doherty, at SEAL Team 3, where they were sniper students together. They had just completed a book together, “Navy SEAL Sniper,” which is due out in January. He Penned this farewell to his friend:

Glen,
I still can’t believe you punched out early on me, but glad to hear from the guys that you fought like a hero–no surprise there.
You should know, your efforts resulted in the rescue of over 20 Department of State personnel. They are alive today because of yours and Ty’s heroic action.
I know you hate funerals as much as I do but, the service in Winchester was humbling and inspiring. The people of Boston are amazing. I had to choke back the tears as me and the boys rolled through town, and thousands of people lined the streets to honor a hero and our friend and teammate. Seeing American citizens united around a hero, if only for a brief moment, restored my faith in humanity and that there’s other things more important in life than killing each other.
Your family is and was amazing. Their poise, patience and the dignity they displayed was incredible to witness. Your mom, Barbara, stood by stoically for hours to ensure she greeted everyone who came to pay their respects. She was an inspiration to everyone who watched. Seeing your dad, his sadness and how proud he was of you, made me give him a big hug, and reminded me to work harder at patching things up with my own father.
Greg delivered one of the best talks I’ve ever heard under the most difficult of situations. What an amazing brother; I hope to get to know him better. His speech made me reflect on my own life choices and how important our relationship with friends and family are. I’m going to work harder at embracing my friends and family the way you always did.
Katie gave such an awesome toast at the wake with all the Bub lessons to live by, I smirked secretly to myself knowing that I’ve heard them all before and will never forget. “Drive it like it’s stolen!” and “Kids don’t need store-bought toys, get them outdoors!” and all the rest.
Your nephews are amazing and so well-behaved. Great parents of course. F.Y.I., I told them I’d take them flying when they come out west. They were beaming when I described all the crazy flying adventures me and their uncle went on. I told them how you and I would fly with my own kids and take turns letting them sit on our laps to get a few minutes at the controls. I’ll do it up right and let them each have a go at the controls.
Sean has been steadfast in his support role and has handled everything thrown at him. Helping him this last week really showed me why he was such a close friend of yours. He’s solid, and I look forward to his friendship for years to come. You chose well having him execute your will, he’s solid.
We are all dedicated, as you explicitly indicated to us all, to throw you the biggest eff-ing party we can, and to celebrate your life as well as our own. Done deal; Sean and I are on it.
Most of SEAL Team 3 GOLF platoon showed up in Boston . It was great to see how guys like Tommy B. just made stuff happen, no matter what was needed. Things just got handled like men of action handle them, no questions asked and no instructions needed — just get it done in true SEAL fashion.

One by one the Tridents were firmly pounded into to the mahogany as the guys paid their respect. Mike and I handed the plank to your mom, choked back tears, and kissed her on the cheek. We both told her how much you’ll be missed by us all.
Afterwards, the Team Guys, Elf, Steve, Sean and others tipped a few back in your honor. In good Irish fashion we drank whiskey from Sean’s “What Jesus Wouldn’t Do” flask, hugged each other like brothers and said goodbye, each in our own way.
We are planning the yearly surf trip to Baja in your memory. We share Steve Jobs’s philosophy on religion and tolerance, but if you can arrange it, please talk to whomever and fire up a good south swell for me and the boys.
My kids will miss their Uncle Glen. I told them it’s O.K. to cry (we all had a good one together) and to be sad but not for too long. You wouldn’t want that. They will grow older, and like the rest of us, and be better human beings for having known you.
You definitely lived up to the words of Hunter S. Thompson:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a ride!”
When I skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke myself I’ll expect to see your smiling face handing me a cold beer.
See you on the other side, brother. You are missed by many.
-B.W

Jack
Never Forget God, Country, Corps, Family, Freedom, Semper Fidelis

I have a few friends who are actually smart people. They are a lot older than I am so I guess that may be why they're Republicans. Regardless, the story seems legit, but am I wrong to think that it's not the job of the Obama administration to report the news on this? Is he taking credit where it isn't due? Is he somehow taking credit for what these guys did? This just seems like some story being twisted up until it becomes more anti-Obama bullshit.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ElmerTheWasabi posted:

I got this great wall of text from a friend on Facebook:

I have a few friends who are actually smart people. They are a lot older than I am so I guess that may be why they're Republicans. Regardless, the story seems legit, but am I wrong to think that it's not the job of the Obama administration to report the news on this? Is he taking credit where it isn't due? Is he somehow taking credit for what these guys did? This just seems like some story being twisted up until it becomes more anti-Obama bullshit.

I don't get the anti-Obama invective in this at all. So they weren't actually stationed there as guards? How does that hurt the administration? It sounds like he is looking for reasons to be offended by the President.

Additionally your friends' retelling is also somewhat inaccurate in it's depiction. When he says this:

quote:

Their heroism is incredible when you consider what they were facing. Doherty and Woods reached the main compound of the Consulate and evacuated approximately 20 employees. Unfortunately, Ambassador Steven’s aide Sean Smith was already dead when they arrived. Woods and Doherty fought through the firefight, and took the consulate employees back to the annex building where again they came under another wave of attacks.
Between the initial firefight at the Main Consulate, and at the annex building, for over two hours they were able to fight back against approximately 200 al-Qaeda terrorists, who pre-planned and coordinated the attack to occur in two stages.
The second wave of attacks at the annex brought even more firepower upon them. Yet they held their position providing time for the 20 consulate employees to be rescued. In total for over two hours they held off upwards of 200 attackers, under heavy fire from RPGs, mortars, and at least one 23mm Anti Aircraft gun firing on their position(s) around the consulate grounds and the annex building.

It makes it sound like two men held off 200 by themselves for two hours. There's no mention of the ~60 Libyan militiamen that had helped in the rescue, or the other security personnel at the compound they were evacuated to. What about their bravery? What about the bravery of Libyan citizens who tried to rescue the Ambassador and brought him to a doctor to try and save his life? Don't all these heroes deserve to be recognized? Why is he intentionally skewing what happened to dismiss their heroic actions?

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 28, 2012

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

I'm very confused. Nowhere in that quote did Obama say they were part of the Ambassador's personal security. But presumably they were there as part of the security for the consulate, right? It almost sounds like the email is suggesting they were just in Libya together on vacation, and were out having a good time when poo poo went down across the street from where they were hanging out, and so they charged in to save the day since the Libyan guards were too busy pissing their pants to do anything.

Maybe they really weren't supposed to be there? If so, why were they there? :confused:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sarion posted:

I'm very confused. Nowhere in that quote did Obama say they were part of the Ambassador's personal security. But presumably they were there as part of the security for the consulate, right? It almost sounds like the email is suggesting they were just in Libya together on vacation, and were out having a good time when poo poo went down across the street from where they were hanging out, and so they charged in to save the day since the Libyan guards were too busy pissing their pants to do anything.

Maybe they really weren't supposed to be there? If so, why were they there? :confused:

The article states that they were both in Libya with the CIA to track down missing MANPADs. Even if that was true, I suspect a FWD:FWD:FWD email wouldn't know about it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Yeaaaah.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
What the hell is that supposed to even imply? Is this an MRA thing?

Men with the flu have it worse than women with breast cancer?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Tigntink posted:

What the hell is that supposed to even imply? Is this an MRA thing?

Men with the flu have it worse than women with breast cancer?

I think it's "Women get poo poo done, men are whiny babies."

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Dr Christmas posted:

I think it's "Women get poo poo done, men are whiny babies."

Still bad, but not as bad as I thought.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, it was posted by a Jordanian female friend of mine with the comment "Women rock!" and someone else popping in with a bizarre "Men are so whiny!"

I couldn't even begin to formulate a response.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Perhaps it's a regional thing, but I thought "men get overly dramatic and whiny when they get sick" his a pretty common (old, even) joke? I've lost count of how often I've heard it in some stand-up routines.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sarion posted:

Maybe God told them they would be needed.

I'm confused as to why everyone thinks Obama wants to confiscate their guns.