Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Nyaa posted:

You suppose to lock the thread?

You don't have to lock it. He's not going to pick up any changes you make after it gets archived, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

baldurk posted:

Hey, just to let everyone know I'm going to be transitioning the archive, lpix and baldurdash to a new server shortly. As part of that I'll need to lock down uploads on lpix so I don't have images being uploaded to both servers at the same time. If you see that - just wait a few hours and you should start using the new server which is open for business.

Likewise if you see anything broken or weird on the sites just let me know - there's bound to be something I've missed and isn't set up right.

I'm not sure if you've finished the transition yet, but I've noticed since last night I haven't been able to access lpix or the lparchive at all. Also every image hosted on lpix isn't showing up here on the forums. I don't know if this is something you are aware of, but since it's been over twelve hours I thought I'd let you know. I know I'm not the only person with this problem either.

BubsyAwarenessDay
Oct 13, 2012

I don't much like the look of your face, am I complaining?

OP posted:

Sega-wha-ga?

I read a blog article a week or two back that used the words "bonkers swan song" to refer to this game. I don't think I could outdo that.

You're not getting out of this one.

Segagaga sure seems to have a lot of mystique about it. Aside from a great-looking translation effort that wavered for years before finally dropping off the planet (as far as I know) roughly a year ago, it's tough to find any English-language information on it. It's incredibly hard to get ahold of, too: With the even the no-frills Dreamcast Direct edition usually going for about $80 and the super-deluxe-feelies-included version almost never coming in under $200, it winds up on "rarest/priciest games ever" lists across the web constantly. This is due to its release in late 2001, the tail end of the Dreamcast's lifespan. By the time it was ready to hit the shelves, Sega was in such deep financial trouble they figured there was no way the game could possibly hurt their image. Made on a shoestring budget to the tune of less than a hundreth of Shenmue's, it was given around $200 for marketing, which director Tez Okano (who went on to spearhead production of Thunder Force VI) spent parading around in a custom-tailored wrestling mask hawking signed copies.

The gameplay's basically a turn-based RPG/business simulator mishmash. Your basic objective is to throttle your staff of overworked, unmotivated sleazeballs into submission in order to bring Sega's piece of the 2025 future pie up from a meager 3% over its competitor. Lots of Sega properties (the likes of Nei, Ristar, Alex Kidd, and Clockwork Knight to name a few) make appearances along the way, and the whole thing is dripping with self-referential humor.

That said, it's flawed. The game was made on a very limited budget, and it shows in its polish. The RPG portions are somewhat simplistic, the sim portions chaotic. There's also a bunch of awful otaku culture stuff that's played off semi-ironically. Don't get me wrong, it's still a blast to play despite its flaws, but that's not the important part. I chose to LP this game because it's an extremely important piece of Sega's history that deserves a thorough examination. I wouldn't be braving fears of excommunication from the forum and internet at large actually posting this thing if it weren't worth your time, trust me.

How about thread participation?

As much as I'd love to put things up to vote, there's not THAT many opportunities for it. I might dedicate a couple updates to showing off the different commands during the sim portion and let the thread vote, but to streamline things I'll be mostly glossing over those parts since you don't THAT much control over what kind of game comes out of it anyway. Segagaga also gives you the freedom to rename every single developer that you recruit in the RPG part, but I can't very well end the update every time we get one and there's no opportunity to go back and rename them. I'll probably post some pictures of the encounters in the area, and if you want to just toss names at them in the thread until something sticks then hey, feel free to.

Some notes on the LP:

This is hybrid LP. That means that the bulk of stuff will be screenshots but I'll put up video links for cutscenes. I'll be popping in to give translation and context notes where they're needed, but as a general rule my commentary will take a backseat to showing off the full scope of what the game has to offer.

I should also mention that I'll be your translator today! Not much to say about that except that you can expect it'll be pretty by-the book with notes abound, and I'll be excluding honorifics as a personal stylistic choice. My Japanese is still pretty pathetic and I'm by no means an experienced writer so I'll be frequently going through and amending my posts when I'm able. I don't want to be losing sleep over writing "baddy" when I meant "buddy", guys. It's no way to live.

UPDATES:

BIGGOL' SAMPLE POST
Okay, here's my biggest questions about this - is native Dreamcast resolution obnoxiously huge for screencaps? What's better protocol for videos, linking or embedding? Other than that I really just need to know if I'm making any obvious newbie mistakes, because I honestly don't know a darn thing about Let's Play and this is probably not a good idea.

It's a very very fat update so I'll probably have to split it into two parts. I'm also in the process of adding Tindeck audio links so just pretend that they're there. Lpix works fine for me, so if images don't show for other people then I guess I shouldn't have posted this in the middle of the chaos of a server move, whoopsy! (Sorry.)

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Whoring for more comments for the Saira video I posted a few pages back. I won't be able to make any more videos for at least a week or two, so I'd love to get feedback now to iron out any possible flaws early on.

Test Video Here

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
You do know that another Saria LP just started, right?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Why is that important?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I just wanted to make sure he was aware of it, is all.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

First off, I love you for taking on this game. Now that that's out of the way: screenshot resolution looks A-OK to me. Any chance you might be adding annotation-subtitles to the cutscene links? My only other nitpick is things like this:

quote:

Sega's development office is comprised of three parts: Labs A, B, and C.
This is the backbone of the company, the birthplace of each any every Sega game.

Typo aside, it'd look better if you could straighten it out a bit somehow. Double portraits, perhaps?

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

caleramaen posted:

I'm not sure if you've finished the transition yet, but I've noticed since last night I haven't been able to access lpix or the lparchive at all. Also every image hosted on lpix isn't showing up here on the forums. I don't know if this is something you are aware of, but since it's been over twelve hours I thought I'd let you know. I know I'm not the only person with this problem either.

Sorry, I maybe didn't make this clear at the time - the transition should have been basically without downtime except lpix uploads being closed for a time, and certainly you should have been able to access the site throughout (and should be able to now). Something's going wrong and it's with too many people to be a coincidence.

For anyone who's having issues getting to lpix or the lparchive: please contact me via your preferred method and send me 1) your IP and 2) a traceroute to the archive. I'll take this to my host and see if they can sort something.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Hey everyone: our good friend and LP Overlord Slowbeef is now married! Give him your congratulations!

(Congratulations Slowbeef!)

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Congrats Slowbeef. Good on you.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
Congratulations on marriage to what I assume to be a real live woman, I knew all that LP fame would work out in your favor eventually! Just try not to be so sex negative and lay off all the body shaming you've been doing and you're golden. :v:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Requesting an LP of this "Marriage" game. And no camcorder LPs, you know better than that!...wait, gently caress, this is the wrong topic to be doing that in.

But seriously, congratulations!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Uh excuse me dating sims aren't allowed in this subforum.

(Congratulations, slowbeef!)

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Yeah, congrats.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
So that Sprung LP finally paid off, right slowbeef? :v:

In all seriousness, congratulations man!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
And they said being a popular LPer wouldn't make you more attractive to the opposite sex. Congrats slowbeef!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A congratulations is in order here.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
Congrats, Slowbeef, from all the other crazy people on here.

Now, who do we need to marry off next in here?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Congrats Slowbeef on getting married. Just don't show your wife the Pewdiiepie video.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Congratulations slowbeef. I was going to say something about Sprung but Psych beat me to it :).

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Congratulations Slowbeef! Now you finally get to settle down in your LP 9 to 5. :)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Slowbeef. Moderator of the Let's Play Subforum on the Something Awful forums.

Congratulations on beating the odds! :v:

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Have a nice honeymoon and watch out for Thai ladyboys.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Congrats.

How long until you retsupray your wedding?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Congratulations, Slowbeef!

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Use> Pepper Spray > On Bride

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Congrats Slowbeef!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I won't believe it until he films himself and Betus making disparaging remarks over his new bride's gaming abilities :colbert:

Also congratulations! Just be sure you keep her away from that Dawson chap. He looks shifty.

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

Congratulations Slowbeef! Hopefully Billy will send his regards to you at some point too eh?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also congratulations! Just be sure you keep her away from that Dawson chap. He looks shifty.

It's okay, he was the ringbearer.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Congratulations, Slowbeef. I wish you the best of luck and will refrain from making terrible jokes of any sort.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

It's okay, he was the ringbearer.
Hey, ya tripped, pal.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Congrats slowbeef!

PersonMan
Apr 3, 2009
Slowbeef I am appalled that you didn't e-vite me to the wedding, or at least let me Dee Jay.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Congratulations Slowbeef!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Big ups to Slowbeef for Let's Playing marriage for us, thus saving the rest of us the trouble!

(seriously, congratulations)

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

:toot:

Thanks for being a good overlord and taking care of this subforum. Also, for, you know, helping spawn this whole mess.

Enjoy being happy with your wife, and best wishes for the years to come.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Marriage is pretty cool, congrats Slowbeef!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Congrats

• Locked thread