Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm thinking about buying all 3TB drives and getting rid of my hodge-podge of various other drives. Anyone have any clue what I could get out of selling the following drives?

6 - Samsung F3 HD203WI 2TB
3 - Samsung F4 HD204UI 2TB
1 - Samsung F3 HD103UJ 1TB
1 - Hitachi HDT72101 1TB
3 - Western Digital WD15EADS-00P8B0 1.5TB

Assuming I can get enough out of them are any of the current crop of cheap 3TB drives better for use in a home server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How many drives do you hope to buy?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure any decently sized drive, even used, is worth at least $40 or $50 each even if the warranty is long since run out (and maybe more than that if there's any warranty left). That's what I sold my 500GB drives for when I upgraded to my then-new 1.5TBs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Look at that, the mods come out of the woodwork to help each other. What a loving family. :c00l:

duep
Dec 9, 2005
I am the captain
Does anybody have experience with the flyn dmapd server for linux? If you believe the website it supports live transcoding of videos for DAAP players (iTunes/aTV) but I was wondering if it actually works, as I am trying to decide whether to base my TV setup on aTV or PLEX/ROKU.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I'm thinking about buying all 3TB drives and getting rid of my hodge-podge of various other drives. Anyone have any clue what I could get out of selling the following drives?

6 - Samsung F3 HD203WI 2TB
3 - Samsung F4 HD204UI 2TB
1 - Samsung F3 HD103UJ 1TB
1 - Hitachi HDT72101 1TB
3 - Western Digital WD15EADS-00P8B0 1.5TB

Assuming I can get enough out of them are any of the current crop of cheap 3TB drives better for use in a home server?

I would be the 2TBs would easily pull $50-65 depending on use. (Mods also seem to get a little better rates on SA-Mart due to the non loving around part)
1TBs would get $30-40.
1.5TBs would go in the $40-50 range I think.

This is of course what I would pay, others who are not up on prices may go higher. Also not being generic WD Green drives, these are worth a bit more.

Have to remember that depending on the use case, a 3TB drive can be picked up at $.04/gb. Putting it at about $40/gb. Weirdly enough, smaller drives seem to have higher value/gb than the larger drives when it comes to resale.

If I knew how long they have been used and how, I would put out an offer in these ranges (lowball'd of course, in true SA-Mart fashion).

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I sold some WD 1TB greens for around the $40 mark on SA-Mart a couple months ago. Because prices have been calming down a bit further from the Thailand floods, I suspect you could get good interest around the $35 mark if you're more interested in moving them fast then to get as much as possible. I priced mostly to move them quickly and as usual, YMMV.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mantle posted:

This may be more of a general FreeBSD question, but I have a problem with FreeNAS deleting files from my /etc directory on boot.

I have created an rsync task to do a push to a remote server once a night. The remote server requires a user and password to connect, and FreeNAS says I have to create a file with the password in it. I put the password in a file at /etc/rsync_module_backup_password and gave it chmod 600 permissions, owned by root.

Whenever I reboot the FreeNAS system, the /etc/rsync_module_backup_password file is gone.

Why is this? Is there a better place to put the password file?

IIRC FreeNAS copies everything from an image to a ram disk when you boot. Any changes you make by hand to the filesystem on the ram disk will not be saved between reboots.

Looking over their documentation I don't see anything about a user name and password being stored in a file. It should be done with a keypair with no password on the key.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

thebigcow posted:

IIRC FreeNAS copies everything from an image to a ram disk when you boot. Any changes you make by hand to the filesystem on the ram disk will not be saved between reboots.

Looking over their documentation I don't see anything about a user name and password being stored in a file. It should be done with a keypair with no password on the key.

From the link:
If the rysnc server requires password authentication, input --password-file=/PATHTO/FILENAME in the "Extra options" box, replacing /PATHTO/FILENAME with the appropriate path to the file containing the value of the password.

Unfortunately the rsync server is an embedded shitnas so it is not flexible enough to do a properly secure rsync setup.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

I have a question for anyone who knows mdadm.
I'm using a Synology DS1010+ with 5 x 2 tb disks in raid 5.

A couple of weeks ago, the DiskStation started beeping and when I logged in to the admin UI, it said that disk 4 crashed. Since I didn't have any spares, I ordered 2 new 2 tb disks.
When they arrived, I replaced disk 4 and started to rebuild (or perhaps there's some verification first). After about 2 hours, the DiskStation started beeping again. When hearing that beeping again I was pretty much set on never being able to recover anything.
I log in to find that disk 5 is set as crashed meaning 2 out of 5 is gone and the data is lost.

Here's what I would like to know: when I inserted disk 4, some command was started to rebuild everything. What I believe happened is that it was calculating what to write on disk 4 but as it was reading from disk 5 it encountered an error. Is there any way to skip those errors, fully knowing that some data is lost?

I can still access the shares as it is now and I have already copied everything that is essential, so I don't mind playing around with it.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004
Just curious if anyone here had played with the idea of using Windows 8 (with Storage Spaces) as their NAS OS once it is released?

I read some blogs online where some people will be moving from WHS 2011 directly to Windows 8 as it supposedly has most of what WHS 2011 had. Granted the posts go back a few months and dont address the RTM version, which is why I am curious if it is still a viable option.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

So, like I just mentioned I'm planning on moving away from my hodge-podge of different drive sizes to just 3TB drives. The impetus for this move is that I need to migrate away from my mdadm+LVM+ext4 setup because of the 16TB ext4 limitation.

Two questions:

1. Since I don't have enough sata ports to hook up 3TB drives, I was thinking about temporarily using SATA-USB adapters to hook up the 3TB drives, set up a filesystem, copy my data over, remove old drives, move new drives from USB adapters to internal SATA ports. Bad idea or workable?
2. I don't really know anything about ZFS, so someone tell me if I should move to ZFS instead of mdadm+LVM+xfs. I'm sticking with Ubuntu for my server for various other reasons...

edit: 50% streaming video to other systems in the house, 30% backing up photos, videos, and other computers, 10% serving a few small websites, 10% loving around. Percentages represent some gut-sourced hybrid of storage space, data transferred, and priority to me.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 23, 2012

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Thermopyle posted:

So, like I just mentioned I'm planning on moving away from my hodge-podge of different drive sizes to just 3TB drives. The impetus for this move is that I need to migrate away from my mdadm+LVM+ext4 setup because of the 16TB ext4 limitation.

Two questions:

1. Since I don't have enough sata ports to hook up 3TB drives, I was thinking about temporarily using SATA-USB adapters to hook up the 3TB drives, set up a filesystem, copy my data over, remove old drives, move new drives from USB adapters to internal SATA ports. Bad idea or workable?
2. I don't really know anything about ZFS, so someone tell me if I should move to ZFS instead of mdadm+LVM+xfs. I'm sticking with Ubuntu for my server for various other reasons...

edit: 50% streaming video to other systems in the house, 30% backing up photos, videos, and other computers, 10% serving a few small websites, 10% loving around. Percentages represent some gut-sourced hybrid of storage space, data transferred, and priority to me.

I'd imagine those gender-changers would be okay. I'd check compatability with linux first, though I'd be surprised if they didn't work. There's also sata to esata converters i've found work well, if you happen to have any of those on your board.
I wont go over the benefits of ZFS just now but I can say that my home server runs Ubuntu and ZFS has been rock solid for me so far, with no performance problems.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Mantle posted:

From the link:
If the rysnc server requires password authentication, input --password-file=/PATHTO/FILENAME in the "Extra options" box, replacing /PATHTO/FILENAME with the appropriate path to the file containing the value of the password.

Unfortunately the rsync server is an embedded shitnas so it is not flexible enough to do a properly secure rsync setup.

Guess I didn't read very carefully :)

You can try the information in here.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So, Solaris 11 lets you use a kernel-space CIFS server as opposed to traditional Samba daemons/configuration/etc. The problem I have is that, well, I have no NetBIOS capability available as a result on the Solaris box (and I don't have any WINS servers running at home), or it's kinda broken:

1. On Windows boxes, I can't see my NAS show up when I browse the network.
2. On Windows boxes, I can access my NAS via NetBIOS(?) \\megatron, and I have a few mappings setup.
3. On Linux/OS X, I can only access via IP, not hostname.

I'm not a netadmin by trade, so I'm not sure what's going on exactly. I assume some underlying part of Windows/NetBIOS is allowing the Windows boxes to access it via hostname.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Gism0 posted:

I'd imagine those gender-changers would be okay. I'd check compatability with linux first, though I'd be surprised if they didn't work. There's also sata to esata converters i've found work well, if you happen to have any of those on your board.
I wont go over the benefits of ZFS just now but I can say that my home server runs Ubuntu and ZFS has been rock solid for me so far, with no performance problems.

Does ZFS do that thing you can do with mdadm where it doesn't matter which port you plug poo poo in to, it just works because the metadata is stored on the drive itself?

So, like, if I use the USB-SATA adapters, would I have any problem if I moved all the drives to internal ports?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Does ZFS do that thing you can do with mdadm where it doesn't matter which port you plug poo poo in to, it just works because the metadata is stored on the drive itself?

So, like, if I use the USB-SATA adapters, would I have any problem if I moved all the drives to internal ports?

Yeah, ZFS won't give two fucks, it'll check for drive labels on the disks to figure out who belongs to what pool. Don't forget to export your pool before you move poo poo around.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
I made the mistake of not running export before moving stuff around, and when I reconnected a drive I had a few errors. Even after re-importing it, somehow I managed to have to need a re-silver which then corrected a couple stray blocks despite never having written anything to the zpool. ZFS knows what to do is the point.

ZFS labels and stamps zdevs and will find them later as part of a zpool. Oh, it will find it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

movax posted:

So, Solaris 11 lets you use a kernel-space CIFS server as opposed to traditional Samba daemons/configuration/etc. The problem I have is that, well, I have no NetBIOS capability available as a result on the Solaris box (and I don't have any WINS servers running at home), or it's kinda broken:

2. On Windows boxes, I can access my NAS via NetBIOS(?) \\megatron, and I have a few mappings setup.

I'm not a netadmin by trade, so I'm not sure what's going on exactly. I assume some underlying part of Windows/NetBIOS is allowing the Windows boxes to access it via hostname.

I use the built in CIFs server and I don't have any problem accessing my server by NetBIOS name from Windows. Although it might be actually just resolving the DNS name, not sure.

Point being, it works for me somehow, I just don't remember how anymore.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

movax posted:

nmblookup megatron

If it works, add "wins" to the "hosts:" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf

I don't know of a good way to get this working in OSX, unfortunately. You should use avahi instead, which'll work pretty much everywhere (Windows clients need Bonjour installed from the iTunes package, but it'll respond over NetBIOS anyway).

Alternatively, set up proper DNS.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
That setup sounds like workgroup / domain settings not quite matching up across the clients. NetBIOS will get you a crude hostname-only lookup within a workgroup but on my Solaris box with CIFS enabled via zfs flags, I mostly have those sorts of broadcasting / group membership problems when I use a machine that's not setup for the correct workgroup. Not sure how that could matter because if you can broadcast, you should be able to see any other Windows workgroup present anyway regardless of the client (especially with OS X).

As a comedy solution, have you tried netatalk / afp on Solaris? :v:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Is anyone using sparkleshare or any similar service to add sync capability to their FreeNAS box? Seems like a bit of a hack to have to run a git server so I'm looking for comparables to this and Dropbox. We want to host our own files but have asynchronous sync in the native client filesystem like Dropbox.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Saw newegg had the Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM for $120 shipped, seems like a good deal. Same price over at amazon.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
So I'm reading a lot about zfs/freenas/etc. and I'm about ready to set up my configuration. Does anyone have experience with RAIDZ3? Is it wise for home? And if so, what kind of drive configurations do you guys have with your z3 setups? I'm planning on doing an 8 drive Z3 pool, from what I'm reading though even Z3 is susceptible to complete failure if more than one drive fails in the same pool while a rebuild is going on, does this happen often with RAID?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Megaman posted:

from what I'm reading though even Z3 is susceptible to complete failure if more than one drive fails in the same pool while a rebuild is going on, does this happen often with RAID?
You'd need 4 drives to bonk in the same vdev to lose data, not 2.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

You'd need 4 drives to bonk in the same vdev to lose data, not 2.

In an 8 drive pool?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Megaman posted:

So I'm reading a lot about zfs/freenas/etc. and I'm about ready to set up my configuration. Does anyone have experience with RAIDZ3? Is it wise for home? And if so, what kind of drive configurations do you guys have with your z3 setups? I'm planning on doing an 8 drive Z3 pool, from what I'm reading though even Z3 is susceptible to complete failure if more than one drive fails in the same pool while a rebuild is going on, does this happen often with RAID?

I've never heard of anyone using z3. Seems like overkill for a home server. I went with z2 and I'm still thinking that may have been a bit of overkill.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Delta-Wye posted:

I've never heard of anyone using z3. Seems like overkill for a home server. I went with z2 and I'm still thinking that may have been a bit of overkill.

I'm just trying to make sure the array never EVER dies, only if there is a system failure, in which case I just replace the system, reinstall, and reimport the pool?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Megaman posted:

I'm just trying to make sure the array never EVER dies, only if there is a system failure, in which case I just replace the system, reinstall, and reimport the pool?

I think you would be better off investing in an offsite backup than additional harddrive redundancy. Sure, now the raid won't go down, but a catastrophic failure in the power supply or something could really make all your harddrives unhappy at once regardless of your redundancy.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Megaman posted:

I know you said 8 disks, but how large are the disks? If your aggregate storage is going to be 12TB+, you should probably use RAIDZ2 vice RAIDZ1, but 8 drives is usually the bare minimum for Z3 to even make sense. RAIDZ3 in all likelihood isn't going to get you much extra protection in normal use--as Delta-Wye noted, there are other non-drive reasons your array could fail which, quite honestly, rapidly become more likely than having enough drive-related issues to simultaneously kill three out of eight drives at once.

If you really REALLY need to never lose the data, you need to remember that RAID Is Not A Backup Solution and actually invest in a real backup solution. It's usually a good idea to sit down and really think about what all of your data is actually irreplaceable, vice "inconvenient," and how much of that actually needs to be kept in any sort of live environment.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 28, 2012

Megaman
May 8, 2004

DrDork posted:

I know you said 8 disks, but how large are the disks? If your aggregate storage is going to be 12TB+, you should probably use RAIDZ2 vice RAIDZ1, but 8 drives is usually the bare minimum for Z3 to even make sense. RAIDZ3 in all likelihood isn't going to get you much extra protection in normal use--as Delta-Wye noted, there are other non-drive reasons your array could fail which, quite honestly, rapidly become more likely than having enough drive-related issues to simultaneously kill three out of eight drives at once.

If you really REALLY need to never lose the data, you need to remember that RAID Is Not A Backup Solution and actually invest in a real backup solution. It's usually a good idea to sit down and really think about what all of your data is actually irreplaceable, vice "inconvenient," and how much of that actually needs to be kept in any sort of live environment.

Absolutely agreed. Is there any way to prevent a power supply failure? Is it possible to hook multiple power supplies together in any redundant manner? I know that APS's can prevent external power failures.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Megaman posted:

Absolutely agreed. Is there any way to prevent a power supply failure? Is it possible to hook multiple power supplies together in any redundant manner? I know that APS's can prevent external power failures.
There are server-class motherboards and enclosures (usually rackmount style) which support multiple/redundant PSUs to ensure redundancy on that front. Otherwise there's no real way to do it that I could possibly recommend for reliability (there are some ways to daisy-chain PSUs to get extra power, but I wouldn't be comfortable recommending them to you). Getting a UPS for it would prevent external power failure (or at least give it long enough to gracefully shut down) and hopefully prevent power surge issues. Mind you, redundant power supplies kick you into the enterprise level of stuff, replete with stupid price penalties--even a "cheap" one will run you several hundred dollars.

I trust you have already selected a location for this unit that would provide sufficient physical security (no one bumping into it, dropping things on it, tripping on cords) as well as ample ventilation?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Megaman posted:

It would be far cheaper and easier to just get a real backup solution instead of the types of things you are suggesting.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yep; RAIDZ3 won't help you when you accidentally resize your original images in-place instead of with a new destination, but Crashplan sure as hell does.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yep; RAIDZ3 won't help you when you accidentally resize your original images in-place instead of with a new destination, but Crashplan sure as hell does.

Not sure what you mean by images

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Photographs, but swap the file for any other (video, text, whatever) and the user error for any other (accidental deletion, accidental overwrite, bad edit, whatever) and you still have an error that RAID of any type can't directly resolve.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
ZFS can help with some of these problems (say, regular snapshots if the majority of your data is static) but it still doesn't provide a proper backup solution.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'm undecided on buying a NAS. I like the Synology DS413 but it's pricy and lacks some features compared to the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 (namely, RAID scrubbing and snapshots, but I guess I can cron RAID scrubbing).

On the other hand I'm perfectly capable of managing some kind of DIY thing, I just don't really want to spend the time. However, the purchase price for a DIY setup would be probably half that of the above two, though the increase power usage and larger form factor might not make up for it.

Anyone have an opinion? Should I just drop the cash on one of the above two and get on with my life? Or is it easier than I think to set something reliable up that I won't have to gently caress around with all the time and won't be some ugly beastly PC case?

Fake edit: I could do FreeBSD + ZFS, but that requires going 64-bit with 2g of RAM...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Megaman posted:

In an 8 drive pool?
pool size don't matter dawg.

Megaman posted:

UPS is the word you're looking for. You want it double-transforming (online).

IOwnCalculus posted:

Photographs, but swap the file for any other (video, text, whatever) and the user error for any other (accidental deletion, accidental overwrite, bad edit, whatever) and you still have an error that RAID of any type can't directly resolve.
COW filesystems are actually good for this stuff since they tend to come with free snaps. They still don't protect against physical vulnerabilities.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Ninja Rope posted:

I'm undecided on buying a NAS. I like the Synology DS413 but it's pricy and lacks some features compared to the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 (namely, RAID scrubbing and snapshots, but I guess I can cron RAID scrubbing).

On the other hand I'm perfectly capable of managing some kind of DIY thing, I just don't really want to spend the time. However, the purchase price for a DIY setup would be probably half that of the above two, though the increase power usage and larger form factor might not make up for it.

Anyone have an opinion? Should I just drop the cash on one of the above two and get on with my life? Or is it easier than I think to set something reliable up that I won't have to gently caress around with all the time and won't be some ugly beastly PC case?

Fake edit: I could do FreeBSD + ZFS, but that requires going 64-bit with 2g of RAM...

You, sir, need a HP Proliant Microserver.

Benefits:

Cheap.
Low power usage.
Dual core.
64 bit.
Can take up to 8GB ram.
Can handle 4tb drives.
Room for 4 3.5" hard drives. You can even put in an additional 2 if you don't use the optical drive bay for anything.
Slap FreeNAS on a USB drive and you should be good to go.
You can literally have this rolled and ready to go in half a day.