Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

They're overthinking the problem. Modern militaries are run via networks of systems. It's impossible to shield everything, and anything that gets taken down impacts the overall effectiveness of the system.

Example: A well-designed integrated air defense system (IADS) is a scary loving thought, even to the USAF. China has an excellent one. Iraq in 1990 had one of the best, probably only behind Moscow. The US didn't bomb every missile launcher or radar site, we took out the C2 network that controlled it and cross-cued radar data. The sites were force to operate independently which drops their efficiency SIGNIFICANTLY.

This type of weapon applies the same logic to the entirety of the military and beyond.

I wonder why more dictators don't look at their city planners and tell them to put hospitals/orphanages/etc and air defence sites in the same place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

movax posted:

I wonder why more dictators don't look at their city planners and tell them to put hospitals/orphanages/etc and air defence sites in the same place.
I'd hope because they don't want innocent civilians to become casualties in times of war. Just because the US will hesitate pulling the trigger in 2013 for fear of hurting an innocent doesn't mean whoever else is shooting at them will have the same qualms. Russia certainly wouldn't give a gently caress. UK stopped caring about collateral damage in 1941, pretty much the time the first errant Nazi bomb fell on a residential area in London. No guarantee US will feel the same 2020 as in 2013; we might very well go back to how we felt in 1944.

But, yeah, dictators don't seem to care so much about this as legitimate governments do. Point taken.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 26, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

grover posted:

I'd hope because they don't want innocent civilians to become casualties in times of war. Just because the US will hesitate pulling the trigger in 2013 for fear of hurting an innocent doesn't mean whoever else is shooting at them will have the same qualms. Russia certainly wouldn't give a gently caress. UK stopped caring about collateral damage in 1941, pretty much the time the first errant Nazi bomb fell on a residential area in London. No guarantee US will feel the same 2020 as in 2013; we might very well go back to how we felt in 1944.

Great, I guess I'm just a sociopath then :ohdear:

Or play too much Tropico, one of the two.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

grover posted:

Without going into details, yep. How would you deal with power cables coming into the building, though? Even if you've got generators, how do you keep the initial pulse from entering through the power line and blowing up everything that's plugged into a wall socket? How do you protect equipment inside the building from EMP coupled into antennas outside the building while still communicating through those antennas?
Paging kwantam to tell us about electricity and how it works and how he would design such a system.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Totally TWISTED posted:

Paging kwantam to tell us about electricity and how it works and how he would design such a system.

fiber optics and a generator inside the cage

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Optical couplers and vacuum tubes everywhere!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Highly trained tier one hamsters in milspec hamster wheels.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

grover posted:

Still seems like collateral damage to me, though far more preferable since it won't kill anybody.

Don't forget about the old people and their pacemakers.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

_firehawk posted:

Oh, they're already dead, or so I hear. (It's amazing how much incorrect bullshit can find it's way into a press article...)

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

grover posted:

Without going into details, yep. How would you deal with power cables coming into the building, though? Even if you've got generators, how do you keep the initial pulse from entering through the power line and blowing up everything that's plugged into a wall socket? How do you protect equipment inside the building from EMP coupled into antennas outside the building while still communicating through those antennas?

Keep in mind, we're not talking about a nuclear level EMP that can affect a thousand miles of power lines at a time and build up terrifying levels of energy. We're probably talking about a rapid potential change of a few hundred volts, tops, with a tiny trickle of current - this thing has to fly around on a not particularly big cruise missile and get decent battery life. That's more than enough to fry anything with a silicon CPU and no shielding, but a big radio system will be built to handle that and more (unless you're very careful about tuning your attack to their antenna), and power issues could easily be stopped by nothing more than a household surge protector. Digital signals can be easily passed in an effectively EMP-proof way with fiber optics or even just little opto-isolators.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

_firehawk posted:

Or what effect it has when your strike destroys the only two modern life support systems in the country, causing their inhabitants to die. Because of US Imperialism. You murderer.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

grover posted:

UK stopped caring about collateral damage in 1941, pretty much the time the first errant Nazi bomb fell on a residential area in London. No guarantee US will feel the same 2020 as in 2013; we might very well go back to how we felt in 1944.

But, yeah, dictators don't seem to care so much about this as legitimate governments do. Point taken.

Don't even pretend that the US gave two fucks about civilian casualties during any point in the WW2 bombing campaigns. We adopted general strategies that were different from britain's, but that had more to do with our belief that daylight/round the clock bombing could work than humanitarian efforts.

If you want evidence for this I'll just point to Hamburg, Bremen, Dresden, and every major city in Japan.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cyrano4747 posted:

Don't even pretend that the US gave two fucks about civilian casualties during any point in the WW2 bombing campaigns. We adopted general strategies that were different from britain's, but that had more to do with our belief that daylight/round the clock bombing could work than humanitarian efforts.

If you want evidence for this I'll just point to Hamburg, Bremen, Dresden, and every major city in Japan.
ummm... that was exactly what I said.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.
The other way to defend against this microwave directed energy weapon is to put up some tall fences / barrage balloons. The inverse square law is implacable and cruel. As the microwave frequency goes up, high power is harder to achieve and the shielding is easier. As the microwave frequency goes down, the diffraction-limited beam size goes up and the power density at a given range goes down. Further, defence against this involves the exact same measures that an air-defence installation would need to not get blown off the air by its own radar. I do see this having a great future against civilian infrastructure (I give it 3 years before the technology is disseminated enough to be public knowledge, 3 years after that for there to be a very bad day for at least one major stock exchange/trading firm's datacentre). I am also dubious of its harmlessness to people, specifically in the form of cataracts from corneal heating at the power densities needed to affect electronics.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Depending on the extent to which their systems are hardened, that directed energy weapon could be devastating against warships.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Fearless posted:

Depending on the extent to which their systems are hardened, that directed energy weapon could be devastating against warships.
Warships are natural faraday cages; it's a relatively small cost different to fully harden them against EMP/HEMP.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I heard that the Russians have EMP warheads for their tactical cruise missiles; I'm guessing those are explosively driven pump generators. Would this be the same technology, like say a series of generators packed together?

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 27, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Forums Terrorist posted:

I heard that the Russians have EMP warheads for their tactical cruise missiles; I'm guessing those are explosively driven pump generators. Would this be the same technology, like say a series of generators packed together?
The old style EMP weapons used an explosive charge to compress a coil of wire carrying a high-current, and cause a pulse that way. Was a 1-shot weapon with very limited range. Sounds like the new Boeing weapon is something different.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well Stimson did have the mad on for Koyoto.

I also agrue with Japan, the Japanese did themselves no favors with dispersal of industry to residential areas as factories degraded.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Frozen Horse posted:

I do see this having a great future against civilian infrastructure (I give it 3 years before the technology is disseminated enough to be public knowledge, 3 years after that for there to be a very bad day for at least one major stock exchange/trading firm's datacentre). I am also dubious of its harmlessness to people, specifically in the form of cataracts from corneal heating at the power densities needed to affect electronics.

People have been using the basic technology behind this thing to reheat frozen burritos for decades. There's probably some classified secret sauce in there to boost power and range, but you can build a simple computer-fryin' gun out of a ten dollar goodwill microwave oven.

Datacenters tend to be well-secured places, they're designed with redundant equipment in place, and there's a good chance major financial centers are hardened against electronic attack beyond the natural protection you get from wrapping the building in miles and miles of surge-protected copper power and data wiring. "Terrorists fry the NYSE with a magic microwave beam gun" might make a fun movie, but it's not a realistic threat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Good thing you don't have to attack datacenters to shut things down. Relay stations, power substations, cell towers...all you need is enough power.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I reckon we have just about enough diesel in our underground tanks on our main site to last us for a couple of weeks if we shut down all the non-essential stuff like personal webpages and concentrate on keeping up essential stuff. But from what I gather a lot of datacenter operators have a very superficial attitude towards redundancy, i.e. "if it's plugged in two places it's redundant".

Force de Fappe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 27, 2012

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

grover posted:

The old style EMP weapons used an explosive charge to compress a coil of wire carrying a high-current, and cause a pulse that way. Was a 1-shot weapon with very limited range. Sounds like the new Boeing weapon is something different.

This design was thought up by physicists after the Starfish 1(?) test. (The nuke test in the south pacific when scientists detonated a bomb in the upper atmosphere 'to see what would happen' and the resulting EMP pulse damaged Hawaii.)

I assumed the Boeing weapon was just a parabolic reflector broadcasting microwaves.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

People have been using the basic technology behind this thing to reheat frozen burritos for decades. There's probably some classified secret sauce in there to boost power and range, but you can build a simple computer-fryin' gun out of a ten dollar goodwill microwave oven.

Datacenters tend to be well-secured places, they're designed with redundant equipment in place, and there's a good chance major financial centers are hardened against electronic attack beyond the natural protection you get from wrapping the building in miles and miles of surge-protected copper power and data wiring. "Terrorists fry the NYSE with a magic microwave beam gun" might make a fun movie, but it's not a realistic threat.
I know most of the major trunk line switching centers during the Cold War were build in nuclear hardened structures. Not sure if this was just an overpressure thing or if they also designed them with EMP in mind?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Sjurygg posted:

But from what I gather a lot of datacenter operators have a very superficial attitude towards redundancy, i.e. "if it's plugged in two places it's redundant".

This really depends on who and what scale you're talking about. Big boys like Google/Amazon have hardened and redundant networks that would make most governments jealous (complete with on-site black-start power) and while they're quieter about it I'd expect most of the banks do too.

The question with this stuff then becomes really not how much it can knock down but how long it can keep it down for. If your critical first strike is 10 seconds behind your microwave missile, it's probably not an issue. But taking stuff out the old fashioned way with high explosive requires rubble removal and physical part replacement / wire running that can keep stuff down a good while.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What would something like this do to power infrastructure? Would something like this blow the gently caress out of transformers and the like?

I imagine popping every transformer in a big swath of city would be a pretty major headache as far as getting things up and running again.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

What would something like this do to power infrastructure? Would something like this blow the gently caress out of transformers and the like?

I imagine popping every transformer in a big swath of city would be a pretty major headache as far as getting things up and running again.

You can actually buy $100 EMP testing kits that can blow up transformers :v:

I'm guessing you could do the same with thing, but it has been designed so you can target computers and power in a specific area.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cyrano4747 posted:

Radiation from a nuclear HEMP burst causes compton electron scattering, which induces an electric field of thousands to tens of thousands of volts per meter over an entire continent. Multiply this field by the length of antenna (aka wire) to find out what sort of surge voltage your electronics have to deal with. Even an unplugged mouse is likely to get fried from current induced on the cable.

The power grid acts as a massive antenna and can induce millions of volts into the line; virtually every insulator will be compromised with resultant transformer explosions. The entire grid would need to be replaced.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok, but how does that work with something on the scale of the weapon we're talking about here? Assuming this thing works the way everyone thinks it does (which is a pretty big assumption, but whatever) would it be feasible to target the power infrastructure in a city like that? The missile thing in that Boeing video would be several orders of magnitude smaller than a EMP burst that's targeting poo poo on a regional or even continental scale.

Basically, when the boing video shows that thing zipping over a city blacking out cartoon apartment blocks, should there be transformers popping left right and center in its wake as well?

edit:

Didn't see this:

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm guessing you could do the same with thing, but it has been designed so you can target computers and power in a specific area.

Based on that I'm guessing yes?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ok, but how does that work with something on the scale of the weapon we're talking about here? Assuming this thing works the way everyone thinks it does (which is a pretty big assumption, but whatever) would it be feasible to target the power infrastructure in a city like that? The missile thing in that Boeing video would be several orders of magnitude smaller than a EMP burst that's targeting poo poo on a regional or even continental scale.

Basically, when the boing video shows that thing zipping over a city blacking out cartoon apartment blocks, should there be transformers popping left right and center in its wake as well?

edit:

Didn't see this:

Based on that I'm guessing yes?
Naw, these work completely differently. They're just putting out a direct burst of radio energy. Likely an extremely brief pulse, but designed to induce high enough voltages over a small area to cause the same sort of damage.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Nebakenezzer posted:

I am picturing Walter White, a magnatized crane, a van and a ton of deep cycle batteries.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

priznat posted:

Optical couplers and vacuum tubes everywhere!

Please. Fluidics.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Snowdens Secret posted:

This really depends on who and what scale you're talking about. Big boys like Google/Amazon have hardened and redundant networks that would make most governments jealous (complete with on-site black-start power) and while they're quieter about it I'd expect most of the banks do too.

The question with this stuff then becomes really not how much it can knock down but how long it can keep it down for. If your critical first strike is 10 seconds behind your microwave missile, it's probably not an issue. But taking stuff out the old fashioned way with high explosive requires rubble removal and physical part replacement / wire running that can keep stuff down a good while.

Do you work for google or amazon? Or just drinking the kool aid?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Google's systems will become self-aware and destroy us all for the insipid, banal searches it constantly has to process.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

priznat posted:

Google's systems will become self-aware and destroy us all for the insipid, banal searches it constantly has to process.
Fortunately, if it tries to do it in ways it discovered in a google search, it will inevitably fail.

daskrolator
Sep 11, 2001

sup.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Can you be more specific in what you mean by when you use the word hardened?

omgLerkHat!
Dec 7, 2003

daskrolator posted:

Just as atherosclerosis hardens the arteries of a morbidly obese man who lives off of cheeseburgers, so have we hardened the tubes of the internet with our unclean googling.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

daskrolator posted:

I assume he means protected against EM interference, probably up to EMP devices.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1997/harden.pdf

short article describing how hardening works.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The first documented emp attack against a financial target that I know of was back in the '80s. They've taken steps.

I'd hope so anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower

Smiling Jack posted:

The first documented emp attack against a financial target that I know of was back in the '80s. They've taken steps.

I'd hope so anyway.

The steps taken probably equate to an entry in the risk register and gently caress all more than that.