Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
After drooling over a friend's TC-1 I've been keeping my eyes open for a Ti smaller frame 35mm P&S; how much are you looking to get for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

i feel stupid for admitting to buying yet another Yashica T4 but this one is the T4 super and it's WEATHERPROOF! it does have this excellent little ground glass type thing on the top tho, makes shooting from the hip really good. The Nikon 35ti has been my go-to point and shoot for most of this year but I've missed a lot of shots with it because it's a bit slower to actually focus and shoot. The good thing about the Yashica T4 is that every single time you press the button, it actually takes a shot. The sharpness of that shot usually isn't so great, but if time is a factor, then I still think it's a respectable camera.

Thinking about selling my Nikon 35ti tho.

What do you have to do with the T4 if you have the time and want the focus to be right?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

After drooling over a friend's TC-1 I've been keeping my eyes open for a Ti smaller frame 35mm P&S; how much are you looking to get for it?

I bought it for $400 so I wouldn't wanna part with it for less. PM me if you can.

MrBlandAverage posted:

What do you have to do with the T4 if you have the time and want the focus to be right?

Just pop open the shutter and look through. The viewfinder's a bit wack but it works fine for what it's supposed to be. I would be handholding shots with the T4 anyways, though, so this is just a helpful guide. I kind of rely on it too much actually and still try to shoot it within eyesight, you know?

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
I finally went out looking for a Tiara II today and was disheartened to find out they're now going for roughly twice as much as I remember. Oh well :(

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I bought it for $400 so I wouldn't wanna part with it for less. PM me if you can.

I can; best of luck.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
Well those poopie heads in the film thread kicked me out until I get my Super ME fixed so I guess these test photos I took with my Olympus Pen-EES (hehe) belong here.

It's really hard to focus that F/2.8 lens without some sort of focus confirmation system. It's like trying to focus my Holga only worse.

Tacoma Bloc Party by miso-beno, on Flickr

MOLLLIES by miso-beno, on Flickr

PIR Pro3 - Cracked Oil Pan by miso-beno, on Flickr

E30 headlamp by miso-beno, on Flickr

Tacoma, WA City Hall by miso-beno, on Flickr

I understand the film grain is going to be exaggerated because these are half frame shots, and the exposures are technically +2 stops since the camera will only meter up to ISO200 but that noise is ridiculous. I'm definitely going to try ISO160 or ISO100 film next time.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Kodak Gold is grainy film. Stop using grainy film if you don't want grain.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

dukeku posted:

Kodak Gold is grainy film. Stop using grainy film if you don't want grain.

I don't hate it I've just never used Kodak Gold before. I have a roll of ProfotoXL 160 in it right now.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm sure a same-grade consumer film will give you better results. Best of luck in your endeavors.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Miso Beno posted:

I understand the film grain is going to be exaggerated because these are half frame shots, and the exposures are technically +2 stops since the camera will only meter up to ISO200 but that noise is ridiculous. I'm definitely going to try ISO160 or ISO100 film next time.

Fuji Superia 200 is a cheap and not-really-grainy color film.
Efke 50 is a tack sharp b/w film. Also not expensive at all.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Superia looks like vomit. Or at least it does when I shoot it.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

aliencowboy posted:

Superia looks like vomit. Or at least it does when I shoot it.

I believe the film you buy as Superia 200 today is not the same from, say, ten years ago.
Or does contemporary Superia look like vomit?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I shot a couple rolls of Superia 400. I just didn't like the colours it outputted for the most part; everything seemed just a little too brown or yellow. Missy Prince uses the stuff pretty effectively, but it also suits a lot of her subject matter.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

aliencowboy posted:

I shot a couple rolls of Superia 400. I just didn't like the colours it outputted for the most part; everything seemed just a little too brown or yellow. Missy Prince uses the stuff pretty effectively, but it also suits a lot of her subject matter.

Have you tried 200? It's got some great greens. Not a portrait film but not bad either with skin. Especially for the price. Disclaimer: I don't have the opportunity to shoot black, asian or even sick-pale white skin (e.g. North Europe) so I don't know how it fares in that regard.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Is Fuji Color 200 different than Superia 200?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I shot this on Superia 400 (I think), I can see what Aliencowboy means by too yellow. I never used it again.

Waffle House by iantuten, on Flickr

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Miso Beno posted:

Well those poopie heads in the film thread kicked me out until I get my Super ME fixed so I guess these test photos I took with my Olympus Pen-EES (hehe) belong here.

You should be kicked out of here too because your Pen-EES (haha) is not a point & shoot! :colbert:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

eggsovereasy posted:

Is Fuji Color 200 different than Superia 200?

Yes in my quest for a cheap color film I noticed that C200 is more forgiving with regard to exposure and Superia has more vibrant colors, especially greens.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I almost always shoot Fuji C200 when I'm just doing snapshots, it's a great film, like you said, lovely greens. Also really nice purples and pinks.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

RustedChrome posted:

You should be kicked out of here too because your Pen-EES (haha) is not a point & shoot! :colbert:

Where should I post then? Im so alooooone.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Miso Beno posted:

Where should I post then? Im so alooooone.

The mirrorless thread!

To be fair, it's about as point and shoot as it got in the 60s and it uses film, so it belongs in both threads :colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It's a point and shoot that they added a focus ring to. :colbert:

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
A twist and shoot.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

I've gotten some nice stuff out of Kodak Gold. I can never seem to find the rolls with more than 36 shots on the east coast. Last time I got a non-24 shot roll it was in Seattle.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Anybody got a recommendation for a cheap (ideally no more than £30 on ebay) waterproof P&S? Spent yesterday afternoon dicking around in canoes with friends and I kinda regret not getting any photos thanks to having no cameras I can take near water. Don't really give a crap about picture quality or fancy features so long as it can take being dumped in a lake.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Try the Canon Sure Shot A1.

e: somehow they range in price from $10 to $200 on ebay. Not sure what's going on there...
e2: What about a Minolta Weathermatic Dual 35 DL AF?

spf3million fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 17, 2012

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Thanks, that Canon looks to be exactly what I wanted. No longer will my aquatic adventures go undocumented!

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I think there is a waterproof Minolta 110 camera if you're a masochist.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

I think there is a waterproof Minolta 110 camera if you're a masochist.

Yeah, the Minolta Weathermatic 110. The 35mm is similar.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
There's a chest of what is mostly junk from when I was a kid that has been in my Mom's basement for the better part of a decade. I'm back in Pennsylvania right now and finally decided to sort through the hundreds of old CDs and Sega Saturn games that take up the bulk of the space. While emptying it out my heart skipped a beat when I saw a little white YASHICA printed on a black rectangle deep in the box. Turned out to be just a TAF but it's still got the same CZ Tessar lens. I also scooped up another Stylus Epic last night just to have an extra lying around incase I continue to accidentally destroy the one with which I've been shooting.

Now if I can only find that pesky AE-1 I had bouncing around when I was a kid..

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
From a bored walk around town with the Olympus mju:II

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My grandmother died last Christmas and my mother has been clearing out her house ever since. My grandfather died about 15 years ago, and he was into photography. I've picked up some nice old-school photography guide books from there. My grandfather was one of those old rich fuckers who didn't do much, but when he did do something he made sure he knew as much as he could about it, tried his hardest at it and had the best equipment he could get. I've gone through his slides (of course he shot positive film) and they're all pretty much perfectly exposed even if they're only holiday snaps. I was holding out hope that my mother would turn up his camera in her clearing out, but I think my uncle took it back to Australia just after my granddad died. (And he wouldn't have a clue about what button to press to take a picture.)

My mother did however turn up a little P&S: a Yashica Minitec AF. I can find absolutely no info about it other than e-bay people are flogging it as "lomo" for €40 and a camera shop has one going for £10. I figure this isn't up to the equipment standards of my grandfather (like he'd even have a P&S) so it's probably my grandmothers. But that is still cool. It still works, the batteries in it didn't even leak, the flash fires. And I now have a second bit of photography gear that has familial heritage (along with an old 16*20 enamel dev tray my grand-aunt used in her professional photography business in the 50's.)

This is all round good things for me. I was looking for a camera to carry about with me, now I have one. :D

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
I found a Pentax PC35AF-M DATE at the local Goodwill today for a $3.50. It sports a fixed 35mm f/2.8 IR based autofocus which I've been told is quite questionable at best. I still have a couple rolls of expired grocery store film that should be fun.

Pentax PC35-M Date by miso-beno, on Flickr

Oh and did I mention it's sexy in an horrible 80s styling sort of way? They also had an Olympus Stylus Epic Zoom 170 for $5 but the zoom kind of kills the fun for me.

e: issues I've found with the camera that sorta add to the charm - it makes an annoying high pitched whine when it's under exposed (I think that's what the light means), the shutter release sticks if you hold it at a half press too long, the film winder is occasionally confused by winding (it almost sounds like it's not taking the film), and the autofocus kind of does what it wants. I love it.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 17, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

With the trusty Yashica T4S:

_25_0368 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

_29_0364 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

__7_0729 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Miso Beno posted:

e: issues I've found with the camera that sorta add to the charm - it makes an annoying high pitched whine when it's under exposed (I think that's what the light means)

The high pitched whine is your flash charging. The light means that the flash is charging and not ready yet.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

The high pitched whine is your flash charging. The light means that the flash is charging and not ready yet.

It's definitely not the flash charging. The transformer whine increase in pitch as it reaches it's charge. The under exposed warning alarm (it's a feature!) is a steady high pitched tone that only squawks at you when the shutter release is half-pressed.

e: I should just take a video tonight.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 23, 2012

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Miso Beno posted:

It's definitely not the flash charging. The transformer whine increase in pitch as it reaches it's charge. The under exposed warning alarm (it's a feature!) is a steady high pitched tone that only squawks at you when the shutter release is half-pressed.

e: I should just take a video tonight.

My Nikon FG beeps at you if you're shooting AE and the shutter speed is too slow to handhold.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Hello by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

the infinity stylus epic is a wonderful little camera

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I shot a concert with a Stylus Epic once:

http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts-2010/NinjaspyEndastWithout/13718217_ZpCRhF#!i=1002842822&k=cWBDdfL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just went hog wild and ordered a Stylus Epic, €50 on eBay, can't wait to try it.

• Locked thread