Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Guys! We had someone walk in the shop today looking for a quote who has a husky and a GSD!! :swoon: She'd better come back, I'm completely out of huskies at work. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Terra's best friend will sometimes decide NO THATS IT IM NOT GOING ANY FARTHER and just randomly stand wherever he is and refuse to move until they go back to their house.

Terra used to never do it but in her old age sometimes she'll try and lead me back to the house after about 40 minutes of walk time. Much less in the summer when it's hot out.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow's definitely enjoying the cooler weather, to the point he'll get excited to jog and I have a hard time keeping up with him. I would never believe he is 11 years old if I hadn't had him since 2002. :3:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Max must be the only one NOT enjoying the colder weather, this morning it was in the 30s and he couldn't get back to the house fast enough as soon as he was done peeing.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Max must be the only one NOT enjoying the colder weather, this morning it was in the 30s and he couldn't get back to the house fast enough as soon as he was done peeing.

Dexter hates the cold and has to wear a hoodie when it gets that cold (it is actually pretty pathetic). Once snow is put into the mix though, he ignores the cold and wants to stay outside forever.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

cryingscarf posted:

Once snow is put into the mix though, he ignores the cold and wants to stay outside forever.

Hahah yes this! Terra hates the rain and will scowl at me if it's raining when it's her walk time since it's obviously my fault. But yeah, bring out some snow and she'll chase the ball in the park for hours.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Delta was acting weird, whining and staring at us. Took her out for a pee, didn't need to pee. Brought her back in, she keeps whining. I look up, the lantern candleholder thing is swaying. And the light fixture chandelier thing too! Wtf??

7.1 magnitude earthquake off the B.C. coast. Sorry I didn't believe you Delta.

Sigma just layed there and slept like a good dog. Way to go Siggy.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

wtftastic posted:

Finnish spitz. :colbert: Rixatrix, you live near/ in Finland, if I recall correctly, right? Maybe it won't be the most bidable dog, but they're pretty active, a decent size and smart as a whip.
All of this is true, but I'd have a hell of a time convincing my colleague to get one. Finkies are really iconic dogs here, but it comes with a lot of baggage. People think they're good for nothing but hunting and that they're the kind of dogs that don't make good house pets. And they're "untrainable". And too aloof. (I'm inclined to get one at some stage just to title him in a dog sport to show my dad it can be done.) I get a similar vibe from how people talk about some American hunting breeds which are mostly found in more rural communities.

Swedish Vallhunds are a good suggestion, I'll add that to the list.

HookShot posted:

I mean, it definitely helps that she was a puppy, but for the first six months of her life she was a street dog, so it definitely doesn't mean they're ALL awful dogs that are unsocialized for life.
Thinking back I think I know one imported rescue that's overall a pretty normal dog. He and his owner have trained with us during the summer. I'm not saying it's impossible to get a good dog from an ex-street dog. I'm saying it's a gamble with the odds stacked against you. How bad the odds are depends on things like the country of origin (are people actively unkind to street dogs or are they just ignored) and the rescue facility (dozens dogs in kennel runs with a couple of volunteers means there is no real possibility for individual attention). Like people, some dogs cope with adverse life events better than others so it also depends on the individual dog, but you'll have no way of knowing if your particular dog will be a resilient one.

You wouldn't recommend one to a family with little experience with dogs. I would only recommend one to someone who's willing and able to deal with whatever they happen to get.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Rixatrix posted:

You wouldn't recommend one to a family with little experience with dogs. I would only recommend one to someone who's willing and able to deal with whatever they happen to get.

This seems pretty fair.

Meet my mice.

Sorry for the horrible photos. Darn critters move too fast.

I'm open to naming suggestions. They're girls. :)

pian0majic21
Dec 22, 2011

by angerbrat

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenis. Penis. Pee pee pee pee pee penis.

Wanna join the PEN15 club?

Penis.

someone got their rear end stuffed in the last 2 hours

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

This seems pretty fair.

Meet my mice.

What cartoons did you watch as a child? I'm slowly realising that the only correct names for mice are cartoon character names :colbert:

pian0majic21 posted:

:catstare:

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Fraction posted:

What cartoons did you watch as a child? I'm slowly realising that the only correct names for mice are cartoon character names :colbert:

Mostly an inordinate amount of Dragonball Z and Pokemon thanks to my brother. As well as Daria and stuff. I was thinking they need overly grandiose names because mice.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Why you gotta watch cartoons that don't have a bunch of cutesy girl names? :saddowns:

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

This seems pretty fair.

Meet my mice.

Tanya Mousekewitz, after Feivel's sister.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Ugh, Psyche is doing so much better with people she sees on walks lately, but she still has a problem when people stare at her and talk to me. Which is extra fun when they are commenting on how much of a spaz she is...which just makes her spaz out more.

Two women came walking at us today (in a way I couldn't back away from) and she barked at them. I got her to sit down and gave her a treat and then was going to try and hold her attention and get her to walk away with me (she's getting good at this) when one of them asked me if I was giving her a treat for barking at people.

This made her freak out, snap at me, and resume barking/growling at the woman. The other woman was smart enough to realize that staring was not helping, but I still had to just pick Psyche up and walk away.

I was always really good at holding a conversation while managing her when we practiced in class, but in the real world, it's a lot harder. :(

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sadie HATES being cold. Really really isn't a fan of it and she now spends all day seeking out sunbeams to become a furcle in and electronics to steal warm from.

I'm pretty sure she knows I'm to blame for this by being a cheapskate and not turning the heat up.

Get a job cat, and then we'll talk about the thermostat settings. :colbert:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

A friend of mine wants to take Charlie if I take her ACD mix she's fostering off her hands in return. I'm going to go meet the dog this afternoon, and she's going to meet Charlie as well.

Am I insane for taking in a second ACD? I'm insane. But I'm also stupidly excited. And happy that Charlie will be gone (assuming she decides she wants him and Pistol (the ACD mix) and Max get along).

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

A friend of mine wants to take Charlie if I take her ACD mix she's fostering off her hands in return. I'm going to go meet the dog this afternoon, and she's going to meet Charlie as well.

Am I insane for taking in a second ACD? I'm insane. But I'm also stupidly excited. And happy that Charlie will be gone (assuming she decides she wants him and Pistol (the ACD mix) and Max get along).

The nice thing about having two ACDs is that sometimes they bite each other instead of you.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

2tomorrow posted:

The nice thing about having two ACDs is that sometimes they bite each other instead of you.

This is very appealing.

Charlie is a good playmate for Max and takes the brunt of the bites, but he doesn't fit into our routine. He's too big, stupid, and low energy; I like my dogs to be smart, like to Go Do Things, and be a more manageable size. My friend likes big couch potatoey dogs so it works out. Having a playmate around to tire Max out when I'm busy doing other stuff is a big bonus. I didn't think I wanted another dog and fostering Charlie was a temporary two dog setup, but Max seems so much happier with someone to play with 24/7.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Fraction posted:

Why you gotta watch cartoons that don't have a bunch of cutesy girl names? :saddowns:

If there were four of them they could be Sandi, Stacy, Tiffany, and Quinn (from Daria). :colbert:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

There's a halloween party tonight at the dog kennel I used to work at, and its the perfect opportunity to embarrass my dog. So I crocheted him a costume!

He put his head on my leg like this to make it clear just how much he hated the costume.

I decided to leave out the antennae because I want him to still slightly enjoy himself, and having something on his head would ruin everything.

Any one else have costumes ready for their dogs?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Shifty Pony posted:

Sadie HATES being cold. Really really isn't a fan of it and she now spends all day seeking out sunbeams to become a furcle in and electronics to steal warm from.

You could get her a heated cat bed, they're pretty cheap. We got one of the heated bed inserts for Husker and it really makes a difference for him in the winter.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CVXO9PVhPs

Big fluffy cats running on a big wheel

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RazorBunny posted:

You could get her a heated cat bed, they're pretty cheap. We got one of the heated bed inserts for Husker and it really makes a difference for him in the winter.

It is 70 in here so I think she is just being dramatic.

I am sure that I will break down and get a heated bed at some point in the near future though. What kind of cat butler would I be if I didn't?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I am sure that I will break down and get a heated bed at some point in the near future though. What kind of cat butler would I be if I didn't?

Cats are heat powered :p

I'm under a blanket not feeling well, and Nibbler came over and shoved his way underneath. Now he's snuggled up against my butt purring. Cats are weird.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

pian0majic21 posted:

Is this what people do when they want to be banned or something? :psyduck:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

This is very appealing.

Charlie is a good playmate for Max and takes the brunt of the bites, but he doesn't fit into our routine. He's too big, stupid, and low energy; I like my dogs to be smart, like to Go Do Things, and be a more manageable size. My friend likes big couch potatoey dogs so it works out. Having a playmate around to tire Max out when I'm busy doing other stuff is a big bonus. I didn't think I wanted another dog and fostering Charlie was a temporary two dog setup, but Max seems so much happier with someone to play with 24/7.

It's funny because two of my heelers are aggressive little shits to other dogs (well, not aggressive aggressive, but they get upset easily) but I think they'd be miserable as only dogs. I really think a lot of dogs do better with a playmate, and I know for me it was actually less work to have two dogs because they spent so much time entertaining each other. Obviously I still had to exercise and train them, but they got into a lot less trouble.

I hope the switch goes smoothly!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Just brought Pistol home (Charlie got along so much better with my friend's German Shepherds, PLUS there was someone at the dog park who really really liked Charlie and is interested in maybe adopting him, yay!) and he's sequestered in my kitchen until I can get him neutered and checked out by a vet. He and Max got along perfectly out at the dog park where they met and they rode fine together in the car on the way home, but now Max is being a giant rear end in a top hat to him now that we're home. I'm pretty sure it's because Pistol is still intact and I'm going to try to get that taken care of this week. He had no issues with sharing space with Charlie who was neutered. Pistol isn't aggressive at all, he just likes to hump everything.

Meanwhile this week while I'm at work I'm going to keep Max separated from him through at least one closed door because both of them are capable of jumping the gate I have up and I don't want to risk them getting in a fight while I'm not home.

Obligatory pictures:

He's about 10 months old. He's got floppy ears, will they eventually stand up like Max's?

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

He's about 10 months old. He's got floppy ears, will they eventually stand up like Max's?

If they haven't yet, doesn't seem likely. So cute though :3:

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the one I have and have been happy with it. I didn't leave it out this summer, but I should probably think about putting it out again.

http://www.amazon.com/Thermo-Kitty-Mat-12-5-25-Mocha/dp/B000S9M2U4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1351465745&sr=8-5&keywords=heated+pet+mat

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Zoso wasn't terribly pleased with his halloween costume this year:

Ford, however, was the life of the party in his sassy scarf. He wore it for about 3 hours and seemed perfectly content in it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Invalid Octopus posted:

If they haven't yet, doesn't seem likely. So cute though :3:

He might not be a pure ACD so some other random dog breed genes floating around might be causing the flop-ears. Either way he's adorable.

I moved him from the kitchen into a crate and Max's initial "WTF is this thing doing in my house" reaction is morphing into curiosity which is a good sign. Still not going to put them loose together till Pistol sees a vet both to neuter him and make sure he's healthy.

I had him out while I was setting up the crate and he is the cuddliest little puppy. I can't wait till I can have both dogs cuddling with me on the couch :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Dog, antler?

Antler?

Antler.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RazorBunny posted:

Cats are heat powered :p

I'm under a blanket not feeling well, and Nibbler came over and shoved his way underneath. Now he's snuggled up against my butt purring. Cats are weird.

Cats are heat leeches. My friends have a heated tile floor in the bathroom and the cats absolutely adore it. They love it so much that my friends are starting to question the wisdom in getting it because they have to wade through a tide of cat to get to the shower in the morning.

Sadie isn't a fan of snuggling but she does like to be in the same room as I am at all times. This is presenting a conflict of priorities for her now because that might not be the warmest room.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Robo Kitty posted:

If there were four of them they could be Sandi, Stacy, Tiffany, and Quinn (from Daria). :colbert:

Now I wish I got four.

Gonna go with Daria-related names. Daria Mousendorffer and Amy Squeaksdale (after Daria's aunt, Amy Barksdale). :3:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Robo Kitty posted:

My wife walks after the dog going "Geeeee, Quiiiinnnnnn" at least three times a week, criticizing her fashion choices.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My mom lives in the Outer Banks and the storm is hitting them hard. Earlier today a dead sea turtle washed up in their yard :smith:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

TVs Ian posted:

My wife walks after the dog going "Geeeee, Quiiiinnnnnn" at least three times a week, criticizing her fashion choices.

Please tell her I like her even more for this, if I don't tell her first.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

TVs Ian posted:

Kick Lucy out of the fashion club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Captain Foxy posted:

Kick Lucy out of the fashion club.

Lucy is the epitome of the fashion club. Skinny, scornful and an almost rat-like cunning.

• Locked thread