Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Yeah.. I would get a safety deposit box for that master key. And some sort of armed guard.

The dealership has to do all that work too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah.. I would get a safety deposit box for that master key. And some sort of armed guard.

The dealership has to do all that work too?

dealership is reprogramming the box in the pic and making new keys for £150. I'm doing all the labour as otherwise its £1000+

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Ah. I was kind of hoping the dealership had a magic service tool because I'd be pissed if I lost my keys and ended up having the dealer tear my entire interior apart just to cut new ones.

The Roadwarrior
Aug 23, 2003

I spend too much time thinking about the Montreal Canadiens.

Crustashio posted:

I thought about it, but an 11oz can in canada is 22.99+tax. And that's if you can find it, almost nowhere carries it around here. Tomorrow I'll check the one place that supposedly carries it.

$6.00 in Bangor, ME I got a bunch last time I went.

French Labels :argh:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rigged an oil catch car for the Tupperware.

terrible iPhone picture

Now maybe I'll have better throttle response for longer.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

Rigged an oil catch car for the Tupperware.

terrible iPhone picture

Now maybe I'll have better throttle response for longer.

Home Depot also makes yard edging that you can use for a front lip spoiler, while you're at it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Meh. I can spend $105 on one and not fix anything, or I can spend $12 on a quick rigged one and see if it helps. V:shobon:V

edit: trying to see if it's my clutch or diff that's acting up, or if it's the TB and spark plugs that are causing the poor throttle response when coming off 1st gear.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 29, 2012

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Started it for the first time in 3 years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkfrx5yaqaA

It's my granddad's old truck. My grandmother gave it to me, I'm going to try to pull a much less ambitious Mooecow. It's a 1967 Ford F100, 240 inline six, 3-speed column shift. Me and Dad really didn't have to do much to get it started, just charge the battery, splash some fresh gas in the tank, change the points out (conveniently there were new ones in the glove box), and there she goes. I wasn't expecting it to crank or I would have caught the whole thing.

Still need to unstick the clutch and check all the brakes and brake hoses, and get some new tires on it before I'll move it. The tires hold air but look terribly bad.

Oh, and replace that carb with another Holley 1100 I have sitting around. It's pouring gas from what looks like the throttle shaft seal area--maybe the float is just stuck. Wouldn't be surprising, but it doesn't flood.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008

Crustashio posted:

I thought about it, but an 11oz can in canada is 22.99+tax. And that's if you can find it, almost nowhere carries it around here. Tomorrow I'll check the one place that supposedly carries it.

If you find it in Halifax, I'd appreciate knowing where, I want to just make my winter wheels not look like poo poo. The coating is flaking off, it's pretty gross.

Also, it wasn't today, but this week I managed to spend $1000 dollars on my 13 year old Forester. Replaced all the belts (timing belt included), found out my oil was leaking from the oil pressure switch, so that was replaced, and had a full oil change and coolant flush/fill. And now I have a full exhaust system sitting in the back of the wagon waiting to be installed once I have the money.

I wish I had tools/room to fix things myself.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Had to jump the F-150 this morning. Then again a few hours later. Stepdad took it to AutoZone and got the battery tested, guy said "your battery is fine, but your negative battery terminal is cracked, there's yer problem!" after putting a multimeter on it.

Got 12.5 volts at the battery after it'd been parked for 6 hours. Still barely turned over, and the gauges all pegged for 5 seconds when it did start. I let it idle about 10 minutes, got 14.3 volts while idling.. then shut it off, but left the headlights on for 5 minutes.

Yeah... that battery isn't fine at all, thanks Mr "I'm too busy to get the tester out, I'll just stick a multimeter on it" AutoZone employee. 5 year old Wal-Mart 850 CA, this past week has been kinda chilly for Texas (mid 30s overnight)... but not freezing.

New Kirkland 1000 CA battery is in, now I have to reprogram the stereo (which has several broken buttons :argh: so it'll probably just get replaced) and the drat power windows. And keep checking the readiness monitors, the inspection expires on Thursday.. :fuckoff: Normally I'd tell him to swap the battery himself, but I don't want to be dragged out of bed at 6am to jump it again.

wallaka posted:

Oh, and replace that carb with another Holley 1100 I have sitting around. It's pouring gas from what looks like the throttle shaft seal area--maybe the float is just stuck. Wouldn't be surprising, but it doesn't flood.

It would be leaking from the vent, not the shaft seal, if it was sticking. And it would also flood. :v: You can try tapping it with a wrench around the inlet if you ever run into a sticking float though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 30, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I put the winter wheels/tires on!

The steelies were in disgusting shape, so minor painting was required first.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You gonna post an "after" pic?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Bucephalus posted:

I like it. :colbert:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

some texas redneck posted:

It would be leaking from the vent, not the shaft seal, if it was sticking. And it would also flood. :v: You can try tapping it with a wrench around the inlet if you ever run into a sticking float though.

I'd imagine maybe the top gasket is screwed then, but there's so much grime it's impossible to tell. I'm just going to take my other carb up there with a new gasket and put it on, then rebuild the old one.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

TrueChaos posted:

I like it. :colbert:

Spray half of each wheel day-glow orange and it would rule more IMO.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Bucephalus posted:

:iceburn:

In all honesty, if it's winter wheels who cares how horrible the stealies look. I'm not sure where you are but steelies here get caulked full of snow and you can't see what they are anyways, and I'd imagine that bright of a colour would help people see you in a blizzard since you're driving such a small and dark car.

Gorillian Dollars
Jan 22, 2012

We are selling to willing buyers at the current fair market price, even if we know it has no value.

Chinatown posted:

Spray half of each wheel day-glow orange and it would rule more IMO.

Turning your car into an optical illusion is the best method if you want to be seen.

doritos
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TrueChaos posted:

I put the winter wheels/tires on!

The steelies were in disgusting shape, so minor painting was required first.

I've got some monster stickers if you want 'em.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

^^^if they're vinyl then yes...

Tusen Takk posted:

In all honesty, if it's winter wheels who cares how horrible the stealies look. I'm not sure where you are but steelies here get caulked full of snow and you can't see what they are anyways, and I'd imagine that bright of a colour would help people see you in a blizzard since you're driving such a small and dark car.

This was pretty much my decision process. My winters are all rusty -> I should deal with that before winter -> black is boring and doesn't help with visibility -> green would be silly and quite amusing... And so I found myself putting neon green spray paint into the basket.

I'm in eastern Ontario, we get lots of snow. I hope the wheels make me a bit more visible, because no one notices me on the road as it is... Maybe hot pink is required next year!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not sure if Plastidip makes any other colours but I'd maybe check out neon green Plastidip for the roof. Or a vinyl sticker sheet that you cut to fit.

You guys probably get as much snow as we do if not more and I know I wouldn't really want to drive that thing around in the winter, between all the douchenozzle dualie pickups blasting through the snow at top speed and the light weight/RWD+ice equation.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Tusen Takk posted:

You guys probably get as much snow as we do if not more and I know I wouldn't really want to drive that thing around in the winter, between all the douchenozzle dualie pickups blasting through the snow at top speed and the light weight/RWD+ice equation.

:colbert:

Lightweight, rwd and snowtires is the greatest winter combination known to man. More fun in winter is not possible.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Heck yeah it's fun after a snowstorm, but when you're driving on the freeway in stop and go traffic with a blizzard on you and you have arseholes tearing down the far left lane in their massive pickup trucks it's not nearly as fun as it is in the parking lot.

Edit: you must not have real blizzards where you live :colbert:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I'm a ski patroller, the miata is my only car. Skis do in fact fit in the passenger seat. Haven't been stuck yet :colbert:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I should note that I'm kind of a huge pussy when it comes to snow and messing around. Also I don't trust other drivers in the snow at all, they're usually idiots.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TrueChaos posted:

I'm a ski patroller, the miata is my only car. Skis do in fact fit in the passenger seat. Haven't been stuck yet :colbert:

I can also confirm that skis fit in the passenger seat of a NA Miata. :D

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I live in Iowa where we get a lot of snow and I exclusively drive E30s. I have no issues with snow as long as you keep your momentum up and don't get high centered. Sorry to say, I think you're just a sissy.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Just replaced my rear brake pads. Somehow I always manage to forget exactly how much of rage inducing motherfucking bitch christ oval office rear end putting the new pads in is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Hypnolobster posted:

:colbert:

Lightweight, rwd and snowtires is the greatest winter combination known to man. More fun in winter is not possible.

I prefer 4WD, fully locked, and lifted in the winter, but RWD is a blast too. Hell, RWD with a good LSD is heaven.

I really need to mill out the centerbores on the rims for my Winterforces and get them mounted up... supposedly we're getting a noreaster next week. I can't wait.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lightbulb Out posted:

Sorry to say, I think you're just a sissy.

I am quite okay with this as long as I can one day return to the beautiful Land of the Koala

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Changed the air filter in my Saab today. I think it might have needed it.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Overheated my RX-4 a few months back and managed to ignore the issue since it's my fun car and I'm not in a place where I need to drive; did the champagne test to see how badly I hosed it up and got to watch tan-colored liquid bubble out like a damned Diet Coke and Mentos gag.

Awesome.

So now I need to get a new radiator (it's got a decent leak and is nasty) and rebuild the drat thing. Should be back to driving status after tax season :cry:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Replaced my gelenkscheibensatz. Here's the old one.

Hey let's play a game! Guess which one of my vehicles has a gelenkscheibensatz.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Your Mazda 5? That's awfully soon for the gelenkscheibensatz to be failing on such a new car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

drat thing somehow passed both smog and safety.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

trouser chili posted:

240d

unless you bought an e30

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Finally nailed down the source of a gremlin in my Focus' cruise control system. Found a connector in the clutch interlock switch harness (that turns the actuator off when the clutch pedal is depressed) was corroded as gently caress and not sending a signal to the actuator.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

trouser chili posted:

I'll be replacing both gelekschibensatzes on my car tomorrow! :haw:

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

leica posted:

Your Mazda 5? That's awfully soon for the gelenkscheibensatz to be failing on such a new car.

You know, that car is four years old already. Got nearly 50k on it, but I agree it's too early for rubber components to be failing on it. Despite that, there is an annoying mystery clunk from the rear suspension. Most noticeable at slow speed over undulating roads, I suspect a swaybar endlink or bushing, but I can't find which one. They all look ok.

Anyway, the 240d drives like a dream with it's new gelenkscheibensatz. It has two, one connecting the front driveshaft to the transmission and another connecting the rear driveshaft to the differential. This was the front one, which of course is the harder of the two to replace.

metaxus posted:

I'll be replacing both gelekschibensatzes on my car tomorrow! :haw:

Have fun! I found it easiest to jack the rear if the car and leave it in nuetral with the brake off. That way I could spin the shaft as needed to get to all the bolts. Of course the shaft spinning became annoying on some of the more difficult bolts, so I'd just grab a shift rod and pop it in a gear to lock things up.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 3, 2012

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

trouser chili posted:

front driveshaft to the transmission and another connecting the rear driveshaft to the differential..

What's the advantage of doing this versus hanging the transmission off the engine? Weight distribution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltschmerz
Sep 26, 2008

I was on the highway and I heard some weird rear end sound coming from the back. I pull to the shoulder and check out my trunk to see whether it's random poo poo I left in there. No problem. Go back to driving, same poo poo. Look out again, see my tire, it's ripped the gently caress up. My axle is OK. But my spare isn't the same size as my rims or whatever and I go to the shop where it costs like a bazillion monies to fix so I go home sitting on 3/4th chrome, yo yo yo ma nigga.