Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

First shot with new setup, so I went with a bright target.
http://geza.zenfolio.com/p17317512/h47ff8658#h47ff8658

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

theHUNGERian posted:

First shot with new setup, so I went with a bright target.
http://geza.zenfolio.com/p17317512/h47ff8658#h47ff8658
Very nice shot and setup. I just splurged on some astrophotography gear and am getting pretty excited for it to come in. Shots like yours are pretty inspiring.

darkpriest
Dec 11, 2000

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Very nice shot and setup. I just splurged on some astrophotography gear and am getting pretty excited for it to come in. Shots like yours are pretty inspiring.

Thanks. Don't forget to post images once you have your gear.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool

theHUNGERian posted:

Optics: Takahashi Sky 90 II @ 406 mm fl (f/4.5)

That is a very nice little scope, color me jealous! Great image as well, my savings for a proper CCD is going far to slowly.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
This doesn't really count as long exposure (1/5 second) but it was incredibly hazy so I thought it came out well.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Jekub posted:

That is a very nice little scope, color me jealous! Great image as well, my savings for a proper CCD is going far to slowly.

Thanks. Buying the controversial Tak was a difficult decision, but in the end it made the most sense (barely beating the TMB 92SS).

Are you looking at the used market for the CCD? I am the fourth owner of my Tak and the third owner of my mount. Only in exceptional circumstances do I buy new gear.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Lediur posted:

This doesn't really count as long exposure (1/5 second) but it was incredibly hazy so I thought it came out well.

I'd say it came out pretty well indeed!

I went out just now with my 600mm + 1.4TC for a moon shot and of course my camera shot JPGs for some reason.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

theHUNGERian posted:

Are you looking at the used market for the CCD?

Yeah, I'm hunting around for used equipment but we have a much smaller market over here in the UK, and the language barrier can make it hard searching out items in the rest of Europe.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

InternetJunky posted:

I'd say it came out pretty well indeed!

I went out just now with my 600mm + 1.4TC for a moon shot and of course my camera shot JPGs for some reason.

Tell me more about your 600mm.

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes
I also shot the moon, with my Maksutov

Kuu by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Was in a really dark area this past weekend and grabbed a shot of the milky way, but exposed slightly too long (again).

_MG_5525 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

Was in a really dark area this past weekend and grabbed a shot of the milky way, but exposed slightly too long (again).

_MG_5525 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

You know, from my house I can see approximately 4 of those stars. :smithicide:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

That sucks. :( From my house I can just make out the milky way unaided on a clear night, and I live at the center of town. That was taken about 45 minutes north, where it's about as dark as you can get in the lower 48.

I think living in a city might actually kill me at this point.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

That sucks. :( From my house I can just make out the milky way unaided on a clear night, and I live at the center of town. That was taken about 45 minutes north, where it's about as dark as you can get in the lower 48.

I think living in a city might actually kill me at this point.

Yeah, I live in LA, so we get Orion's belt, maybe an arm and a foot, and some planets, venus, mars, jupiter, saturn at certain times of year.

My dad has a pretty badass scope, so looking at saturn and jupiter can be pretty fun*

*Disclaimer: I am not a basement dwelling manchild goon, but I occasionally go over there to look at space when dad texts me that it's clear enough

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
First time trying this type of stuff out. I just got a new tripod so I went for a walk around town with a friend.

It was pretty cloudly out so I couldn't do much star stuff. I have a questions though, I feel like a lot of my photos are low quality. I'm using the Canon Rebel XS with the kit. That's all I have really. Is it due to my settings or due to the lack of processing power/lack of nicer glass? I am always amazed by those super crisp yet smooth photos.

Untitled by Fouquette, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

MythObstacleIV posted:

It was pretty cloudly out so I couldn't do much star stuff. I have a questions though, I feel like a lot of my photos are low quality. I'm using the Canon Rebel XS with the kit. That's all I have really. Is it due to my settings or due to the lack of processing power/lack of nicer glass? I am always amazed by those super crisp yet smooth photos.
It could be all of the above.

Rebel XS sensor is a pretty poor performer noise-wise at high ISO (at least mine was) although at 400 ISO like your shots it should be ok.

The kit lens is pretty soft, especially at f4. Next time, for comparison, do a shot at f8 as well. Check out the difference it makes here.

In addition, if your focus is off it doesn't matter what you have on the camera body. I don't remember if the XS has live view, but if it does you should try manually focusing using live view zoomed in on where you want the focus.

The one thing you didn't mention was technique. Make sure you use a count-down timer or remote trigger when taking these night shots, and make sure mirror lockup is enabled. Otherwise you can introduce vibrations into the picture.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SaNChEzZ posted:

Yeah, I live in LA, so we get Orion's belt, maybe an arm and a foot, and some planets, venus, mars, jupiter, saturn at certain times of year.

Good news: You're relatively close to lots of desert, so if you wanted to you could take a weekend road trip and get away from the city glow. :v:

Bad news: LA creates a poo poo ton of city glow so you do have to drive quite a ways.

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147

InternetJunky posted:

It could be all of the above.

Rebel XS sensor is a pretty poor performer noise-wise at high ISO (at least mine was) although at 400 ISO like your shots it should be ok.

The kit lens is pretty soft, especially at f4. Next time, for comparison, do a shot at f8 as well. Check out the difference it makes here.

In addition, if your focus is off it doesn't matter what you have on the camera body. I don't remember if the XS has live view, but if it does you should try manually focusing using live view zoomed in on where you want the focus.

The one thing you didn't mention was technique. Make sure you use a count-down timer or remote trigger when taking these night shots, and make sure mirror lockup is enabled. Otherwise you can introduce vibrations into the picture.

Thanks, I'll definitely try that out next time. I was using a remote release for all the shots. And yeah, focusing was pretty tricky, I'll try it out with live view, didn't think to do that.

Rovasti
Aug 20, 2004
Wild boar weights two hundred kilometers and eats boiled potatoes
First clear night in ages and i made some star trails again:

Star trails 3 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

here's also a time lapse made from these same shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHCPjw6Cx4g

I think the lens fogs in the end, maybe because temperature dropped below freezing or something.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

I can't stop taking the same drat photo again and again and again. Everytime I get a photo kick, it's like "well go on, go take this photo again".

And this last one is from Myanmar.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

xzzy posted:

Good news: You're relatively close to lots of desert, so if you wanted to you could take a weekend road trip and get away from the city glow. :v:

Bad news: LA creates a poo poo ton of city glow so you do have to drive quite a ways.

This map seems pretty accurate during the times I've tried it. Kind of neat/sad to see just how much light pollution there is.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, anything east of the Mississippi is an exercise in futility.. unless you actually want some city glow.

Whenever we drive west I inform the wife that we will be spending at least one night outside and awake. :v:

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Alright dudes, this was my very first attempt at night time photography. I had my aperture wide open to f2.8, but I've read in here it might be better to go at something more like f8 or so. I might try that next time :). And I'll use live view for better focusing, I was just going with manual focus using the lcd on my Sony A77, which seemed to do okay.

Anyways, 15 second exposure at 35mm, which with my 1.5 crop sensor was probably a little too long(a little bit of trailing going on when I blow it up). Overall though I like the look, I was amazed when I got home because I really couldn't see many of those stars with my eyes.

No post processing done because I don't have lightroom yet :(.

Night Time by Logan Roddy, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What was your goal for the picture? To capture stars, or the industrial site?

If it was the site, it's a decent picture. Your verticals are off a little bit and there's not much to look at (nothing in the lit area really holds my eye for long) but it's not a bad photo. The glow you have is pleasing.

If it was stars, there's too much city glow for them to really show up. The stars you do have look like dust on my monitor. Next time drive further out into the sticks and crank up your ISO. There are millions of stars out there you can pick up with your camera, you just gotta do the driving to find them.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

xzzy posted:

What was your goal for the picture? To capture stars, or the industrial site?

If it was the site, it's a decent picture. Your verticals are off a little bit and there's not much to look at (nothing in the lit area really holds my eye for long) but it's not a bad photo. The glow you have is pleasing.

If it was stars, there's too much city glow for them to really show up. The stars you do have look like dust on my monitor. Next time drive further out into the sticks and crank up your ISO. There are millions of stars out there you can pick up with your camera, you just gotta do the driving to find them.

I agree completely. I think the focus of this picture was definitely the industrial site. Although it's not a terribly interesting one, it was the only thing I could think of that was near me that would make for some night time shooting practice. I knew the stars were going to be tough that night, moon was almost full and I'm not too far from St. Paul. The fact that any of the stars even came through in the photo was a surprise to me.

I think if I get a chance this weekend I'm going to try and drive further north and try some star pictures.

I'm really hesitant to crank the iso on my camera, from what I understand the Sony A77 isn't a great high ISO performer, so I've been trying to keep the ISO as low as possible. I can still achieve similar results given a constant aperture between low and high ISO's if I lengthen the time the shutter is open right?

With my new camera I'm definitely still in that experimentation stage where I don't necessarily have a ton of inspiration for my shots, so that's definitely something I need to think about more.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

DoctaFun posted:

I'm really hesitant to crank the iso on my camera, from what I understand the Sony A77 isn't a great high ISO performer, so I've been trying to keep the ISO as low as possible. I can still achieve similar results given a constant aperture between low and high ISO's if I lengthen the time the shutter is open right?
Sure, you can go for longer exposures rather than higher ISO, but it's going to depend on what you want for a final result.

If Milky Way-type shots are what you're after then you are stuck with ~20 second (or less depending on lens) exposures before star trails appear, so boosting ISO is probably the only option. Unless you buy/make a tracking mount, like these.

Speaking of tracking mounts, my mount finally came in yesterday. Do you think it's big enough (it's taller than me and I'm 6')?

I might have to buy a new car to fit this into.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Ahh yes, I forgot about that, the star trails will limit my exposure time. That rig looks pretty badass by the way, the perspective of that picture makes it look like you could fit your kitchen table completely inside that tripod(maybe you can :stare:).

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

InternetJunky posted:

Speaking of tracking mounts, my mount finally came in yesterday. Do you think it's big enough (it's taller than me and I'm 6')?

You'll want to check your balance in dec and RA with that setup, the lens looks like it's going to be quite nose heavy even with the body attached. The CGEM is pretty good for what it is, but proper balance goes a long way to making it better.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Jekub posted:

You'll want to check your balance in dec and RA with that setup, the lens looks like it's going to be quite nose heavy even with the body attached. The CGEM is pretty good for what it is, but proper balance goes a long way to making it better.
Thanks for the advice. The lens with the body attached is actually nicely balanced at the lens foot. It looks nose heavy but most of that is just the lens hood.

Does anyone know if it's possible/easy to have two cameras controlled by a single computer for astrophotography? I have room on my mount for another body.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

InternetJunky posted:

Thanks for the advice. The lens with the body attached is actually nicely balanced at the lens foot. It looks nose heavy but most of that is just the lens hood.

Does anyone know if it's possible/easy to have two cameras controlled by a single computer for astrophotography? I have room on my mount for another body.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to just run two instances of whatever tethering software you choose to use.

Dalax
Oct 27, 2007

It's bonfire night in the UK today, so this thread should see a bump tomorrow, I'll be going out myself to get an overview of where I live (rather than being underneath a display). I'll be shooting wide angle, has anyone got any general tips for Fireworks shooting in general?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I reprocessed this to make the colours look more natural, but the galaxy still looks like poo poo. I left my shutter open too long and got trails, didn't notice until I got home, and tried correcting it with the offset filter. I don't think it worked too well, but if anyone has any tips I'd love to try again. I may just wait until next year and reshoot.

DSC_6150-adj.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe

Rovasti posted:

First clear night in ages and i made some star trails again:

Star trails 3 by Sami Kaukolinna, on Flickr

Star Trail Tent by miso-beno, on Flickr

Utah Desert Star Trail, Attempt 1 by miso-beno, on Flickr
I finally got out to try a star trail for the first time. I screwed so much stuff up like my framing, and and planning for my drunk as hell friends. Oh and air traffic.

wheres my beer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 14, 2012

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I'm still a noob, but have been trying out long exposures at every opportunity. I'm pretty happy with how this one came out.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
Removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 29, 2020

Niagalack
Aug 29, 2007

No half measure.
It's been a while since I posted. They are all handheld photo.

jardin2 (1 of 1) by J-YG, on Flickr

jardin (1 of 1) by J-YG, on Flickr

jardin3 (1 of 1) by J-YG, on Flickr

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Here's one I kinda liked from last night. Want to go out and do more late night shots in color though.

cory ad portas
Apr 28, 2008

THERE IS AS YET INSUFFICIENT DATA FOR A MEANINGFUL ANSWER.
Took these the past on the past few mornings' duck hunts on Lake Okeechobee

early morning by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

poling by noartificialcolors, on Flickr

More early morning than nighttime though. Couldn't really do super long exposures unfortunately since I was in a boat.

cory ad portas fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Finally got a clear sky and my guiding issues resolved to a point where I could try my first astrophotography. The moon was way too bright for real attempts but this was just to check on mount alignment.

M31 - Andromeda Galaxy

Pretty crappy picture but until I get the rings for my auto-guider it's the best I can do.