Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

url posted:

Honestly, I was kidding.
My ineptitude at the language still surprises me.

Get an SO that only speaks Chinese. It helps!

You also get to be like an angry Mexican lady and just start going off in English when you get really frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

duckfarts posted:

So, my company's looking for technical writers again, requirements being that your English is loving flawless and you know how to write. If you're a goon, chances are you have some tech competency already. Not sure how many people we're hiring exactly, but to my knowledge, it is "plural".

Job postin' is here(hope it's okay to post this here seeing as it's pretty relevant):
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=114673

I should note that it's a jobby job, with all its pros and cons vs teaching.

Pros:
  • Regular hours that don't vary every week
  • Tech poo poo is pretty cool
  • Job is stable if you don't suck
  • This isn't a skeevy under the table job where they don't support an ARC or pay you varying amounts in envelopes
  • Job experience that looks like job experience
  • Actual perks/employee welfare/holiday bonuses/stuff here 'n there
  • Vacation days you can actually use without requiring favors to get a sub
Cons:
  • It is in fact a jobby job
  • May not be as interesting/rewarding as teaching for some people
  • Full-time job means it's much harder to find time to study Chinese if you're serious on learning fast
  • Corporate environments aren't for everybody, like dirty hippies
  • If your tech knowledge sucks, you suck. This isn't really a con, it's just a statement. Also, work will be difficult I guess.
This all applies to tech writing in Taiwan in general.

I love this time of year. Too bad it's not at the time when my contract is up. ASAP like in weeks or months? Are you allowed to release a salary range? It may be worth it to ditch out of Korea.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

duckfarts posted:

So, my company's looking for technical writers again, requirements being that your English is loving flawless and you know how to write. If you're a goon, chances are you have some tech competency already. Not sure how many people we're hiring exactly, but to my knowledge, it is "plural".

Job postin' is here(hope it's okay to post this here seeing as it's pretty relevant):
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=114673

I should note that it's a jobby job, with all its pros and cons vs teaching.

Pros:
  • Regular hours that don't vary every week
  • Tech poo poo is pretty cool
  • Job is stable if you don't suck
  • This isn't a skeevy under the table job where they don't support an ARC or pay you varying amounts in envelopes
  • Job experience that looks like job experience
  • Actual perks/employee welfare/holiday bonuses/stuff here 'n there
  • Vacation days you can actually use without requiring favors to get a sub
Cons:
  • It is in fact a jobby job
  • May not be as interesting/rewarding as teaching for some people
  • Full-time job means it's much harder to find time to study Chinese if you're serious on learning fast
  • Corporate environments aren't for everybody, like dirty hippies
  • If your tech knowledge sucks, you suck. This isn't really a con, it's just a statement. Also, work will be difficult I guess.
This all applies to tech writing in Taiwan in general.

I still have a year and a half on my contract, but this is what I want to transition to as soon as I'm free.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Haraksha posted:

I still have a year and a half on my contract, but this is what I want to transition to as soon as I'm free.

You have a two year contract? crazy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's the only way in Taiwan to get the benefits I do (airfare, utilities, rent). They don't want to throw that money around on people who aren't committed to the school. Plus, I don't have to do ARC paperwork as often.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Eh, I have a two year contract as well. But that's because I'm going for perm-res in a few months, so I figured it'd be easier not to have to worry about renewing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Donraj posted:

Can anyone tell me anything about Fo Guang University?
So I asked my colleagues, who deal with sending students abroad for graduate studies and thus are pretty familiar with the quality of a lot of the schools around the island.

The consensus was that FGU is "in the middle, but toward the lower end," is "OK for Buddhist Studies," is in a place that would probably be boring to actually live in, and that Tzu Chi University in Hualien would probably be a better choice (although no-one seems sure if TZU has a graduate program in Buddhist Studies).

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Technical writing here in Taiwan is something I'd be really interested in getting into in a few years, but realistically what are the chances of getting work in that field with just a random liberal arts degree and no work history in any writing jobs?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

Technical writing here in Taiwan is something I'd be really interested in getting into in a few years, but realistically what are the chances of getting work in that field with just a random liberal arts degree and no work history in any writing jobs?
Might be tough; I think the labor law requires that with a university degree, you need like 2 years of "relevant" experience, which is kinda flexible - writing experience and tech-type experience should both be applicable. It's been a while since I had to deal with that myself, so I'm hazy on that one though.

The real requirements are generally: 1) your English doesn't suck and you have actual writing skills, like how to write a basic structured paper with 3 points(this is simple yet huge; graduating from college doesn't mean poo poo because grads can be dumb) 2) you are technically knowledgeable, as in, "I can understand how to use this program/gadget by tooling around for a minute" 3) you know how to not be a engineerrobot and describe things in a way that makes sense to actual humans(engineers are all robots, don't be fooled by their exteriors!). It also helps if you're friendly and not a dickhole, because you have to communicate with other staff a lot. There's other stuff too, but the fundamentals are critical.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Dear goons,

I would like to have a vacation in middle or southern Taiwan in late November. Can you suggest some locations/residence for that? My mom will be going as well so I would prefer something more... decent.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Jeek posted:

Dear goons,

I would like to have a vacation in middle or southern Taiwan in late November. Can you suggest some locations/residence for that? My mom will be going as well so I would prefer something more... decent.
What do you want to do? Any type of activity? Shopping? Sightseeing? Nature stuff? Beach/coast? Betel nuts and whisbih?

I know a decent enough hotel in Kaohsiung that I've stayed at 2 or 3 times, but I don't know if it's pricey for backpacker/goon standards.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
We are not keen on shopping, so I imagine most of the time would be spent sightseeing and/or eating . The wilderness would be fine as well, but wouldn't it be too cold to go to the beach by late November?

And now that I think about it, are there good spas in the area?

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Jeek posted:

We are not keen on shopping, so I imagine most of the time would be spent sightseeing and/or eating . The wilderness would be fine as well, but wouldn't it be too cold to go to the beach by late November?

And now that I think about it, are there good spas in the area?

I'd say start in Hualien and work your way down the East coast. The views are much nicer there, and there isn't so many people. When you get to the bottom of the island then start heading West and up through Kenting and maybe Kaohsiung. I'd probably plan on a day or two in Taipei as well for shopping/city adventuring.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Assuming you've got a good amount of time for a full trip around the island, I'd say start in Taipei and hit the obvious stuff (Taipei 101, CKS Memorial Hall, National Palace Museum, etc.), head down through Pinglin for the tea plantations, over to Yilan and the National Center for the Traditional Arts, then down the east coast through Taroko, Hualien, Taitung, maybe to the hot springs at Zhiben, down to Kenting (where it's totally fine to hit the beach at basically any time of year there isn't a typhoon), then up the west via Kaohsiung, Tainan, maybe a visit to Alishan and/or Sun Moon Lake, the Big Buddha in Changhua, and then back up to Taipei.

If you want to stick with central and southern Taiwan only, just skip everything before Taroko and stop after Changhua.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Back in Taiwan and holy balls is it humid here.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Haraksha posted:

Back in Taiwan and holy balls is it humid here.

It's been really nice recently. Had a cool streak, but it's warming up again.

Gonna be a lovely weekend, not that I would know as I've got an AD&D game to run this Saturday. Chance on Sunday I see the outside world though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

eArh0x posted:

Yeah man, that'd be great! I look forward to it.

To all others, Is there anything going on for Halloween in these parts?

Alright, I'm back in Sanxia and have the weekend free.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Tonight: Come to MiCasa Halloween party. 350 all you can drink in full costume. I might not be there.

Tomorrow night: Come to Warner Vieshow area for drinking in the street in full costume and probably get laid!

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Hey Duckfarts, is there some way I could contact you off the forums about the technical writing job?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

politicorific posted:

Hey Duckfarts, is there some way I could contact you off the forums about the technical writing job?
I take it you don't have plat., so try chefbooyadeetrash on gmail. All applications go though that link though, but I can answer questions.

eArh0x
Jul 10, 2003

Rickets Über Alles!

Haraksha posted:

Alright, I'm back in Sanxia and have the weekend free.

Heya, sorry just saw your post. The rest of my day is full today, are you free during daytime weekdays?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I am available for lunch most days of the week, between noon and 2.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

JohnnyTreachery posted:

with the discussion about NTNU classes, does anyone have any experience with ICLP? Is it worth the tuition premium? Is the workload as bad as alleged? I was contemplating an intensive immersion program either at ICLP, NTU CLD, NTNU (I know nothing about this one) or at HKU/CUHK (yeah, HK isn't a great place to learn Putonghua but I've family living in both Taipei and HK, and I probably need to pick up some Cantonese as well)

so forumosa suggests ICLP is geared mostly towards people pursuing graduate studies in Chinese, and that its students end up speaking pretty stilted bookish Mandarin inferior to MTC, though they're obviously better at reading/writing by virtue of the massive workload.

any goon impressions I could go off of?

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

JohnnyTreachery posted:

so forumosa suggests ICLP is geared mostly towards people pursuing graduate studies in Chinese, and that its students end up speaking pretty stilted bookish Mandarin inferior to MTC, though they're obviously better at reading/writing by virtue of the massive workload.

I really liked the MTC at 師大, and I really recommend the intensive classes if you go, no sense going halfway. I mentioned it just a few posts earlier, one of my teachers was absolutely amazing, the other kind of sucked, but great classmates are what made it for me. In my class we had:
-Me
-Half white/Taiwanese 40-year old guy who used to consult in the states, wanted something new
-American guy, parents Taiwanese, was an accountant for a few years before deciding it sucked
-Korean girl, had pretty much just graduated, wanted to teach Chinese back in Korea eventually
-Russian girl, had studied in the mainland previously, went to study Economics in Urumqi after leaving Taiwan
-Japanese guy, was sent to learn Chinese by his company Mitsui for a year
-Vietnamese girl, planned on graduate work in Buddhist studies
We talked about tons of different stuff and it was usually quite fun. We discussed current events mostly, but really anything we wanted.

I can't speak to the ICLP's classes, but if you only do the ICLP work then retreat into a gooncave for the rest of the time I guess it's feasible your spoken Chinese would suck.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

JohnnyTreachery posted:

While I don't have direct experience with those programs I can say with any Chinese studies here you basically get what you put into it. Like USDA said above if you spend most of your time in your house alone even with school you will progress slowly.

Also the best way to learn the language is to have a Chinese speaking gf. Whenever a friend here finds a Chinese gf their Chinese always goes up exponentially.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Yeah, I made the mistake of falling for a girl that speaks English. My Chinese didn't improve for years.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Another way to learn Chinese is IMing with friends in Chinese; it gives you a way to look up the characters while seeing them repeatedly and in actual usage.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

I went to the MTC and married a classmate. She went on to get a 4 year degree in Chinese, and since she's a good student, and studied for 4 years back home already, she's fluent in Chinese. Her English isn't so hot though, so we speak 90% Chinese at home.

It's really helped me!

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

Ravendas posted:

I went to the MTC and married a classmate. She went on to get a 4 year degree in Chinese, and since she's a good student, and studied for 4 years back home already, she's fluent in Chinese. Her English isn't so hot though, so we speak 90% Chinese at home.

It's really helped me!

drat, more people not following my don't poo poo were you eat stance on life. I see there is a lot of 'intramural' sports going on at MTC and I've already seen fallout in my short time here..

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

dtb posted:

drat, more people not following my don't poo poo were you eat stance on life. I see there is a lot of 'intramural' sports going on at MTC and I've already seen fallout in my short time here..

Classmates are always the easiest way to meet people. They mix the classes up every 3 months anyway, so what's it matter if one goes south?

eArh0x
Jul 10, 2003

Rickets Über Alles!

Haraksha posted:

I am available for lunch most days of the week, between noon and 2.

How about lunch tomorrow or Friday? Someplace i will be able find? :p I am most familiar with the area between Hsueh-Fu rd. & Daya rd. and Qingshui Temple.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Either is fine for me, no real preference. I guess tomorrow at noon then?

http://goo.gl/maps/vzhZB

The restaurant's name is Zest. They make decent burgers. You can't see it on street view, but that's the spot. In fact, the spot for rent is Zest. The Korean restaurant is still there and there's also a gym next to it.

eArh0x
Jul 10, 2003

Rickets Über Alles!
Word. Thats right by the McDonalds at Daxue & Xuecheng, yes?
My name is John, BTW.

eArh0x fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Oct 31, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
It's not "right by", but it's the same road, yes. If McDonald's is behind you, head down DaXue all the way to the main entrance of the university, go through that intersection and you'll see a handful of shops on the right. Zest is in the last set.

Edit: :tinfoil:

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 31, 2012

eArh0x
Jul 10, 2003

Rickets Über Alles!
Righton. See ya then!
Same description, same attire here :p

Mr.Hell
Nov 10, 2011
I'm putting in my application for hess tomorrow - does anyone know roughly what proportion of applicants they accept, and whether previous teaching experience (in university, not tefl) counts for much?

Mr.Hell fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 1, 2012

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

Ravendas posted:

Classmates are always the easiest way to meet people. They mix the classes up every 3 months anyway, so what's it matter if one goes south?

It's a pretty small community where almost everyone knows each other.
I personally don't like being the topic of gossip, so maybe it would bother me more than the average goon. But there's nothing worse for a girl than her side of the story being that they're almost in a relationship and the guy playing dumb like he has no idea what anyone is talking about.

So yea, I decided to leave Taiwan early though. I'm back in Tokyo for a few days and then off to Hawaii. Taiwan is a fun place and I like it and all, but it's not right for me long-term. Come new years though I'm going Brazil or Bust!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

eArh0x posted:

Righton. See ya then!
Same description, same attire here :p

I should probably add "black jacket" because of the weather.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mr.Hell posted:

I'm putting in my application for hess tomorrow - does anyone know roughly what proportion of applicants they accept, and whether previous teaching experience (in university, not tefl) counts for much?

Seeing as how most applicants will be people freshly graduating from college, having any experience will probably mean you'll get hired.

I'm getting a new teacher at my branch in a month or so. If you put it in earlier, you could have had a slim chance to be my new co-worker!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eArh0x
Jul 10, 2003

Rickets Über Alles!

Haraksha posted:

I should probably add "black jacket" because of the weather.

Seems they are closed today. I am here nonetheless