Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Doomsday Jesus posted:

He looks awfully weird, that is for sure, but his grilling techniques are on point. The only thing that irritates me is he, like all other shows with grills, is forced to schill for Weber. When they use a grill that isn't Weber they have to use a general term to describe it.

That is just me with my anti-Weber hate I guess though.

Unfortunately, I can't get past the fact that he looks like what he does. I'm so focused on his creepiness that I can't focus on his message. I'm totally shallow like that.

I'm a Weber guy (22.5 WSM and an old beater kettle), please don't think less of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
So Cupcake Wars is on and it's about magic shows and the guest judge is the god drat Max from Saved by the Bell.

Finally, Cupcake Wars validates its existence. MAX FROM SAVED BY THE BELL!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Jamesman posted:

So Cupcake Wars is on and it's about magic shows and the guest judge is the god drat Max from Saved by the Bell.

Finally, Cupcake Wars validates its existence. MAX FROM SAVED BY THE BELL!

Why did they have him? That is just a weird choice for guest judge.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Haven't seen the episode yet, but he was a magician, not an actor, and was hired of Saved by the Bell because he was a magician. If I'm not mistaken, he was a stage magician on a recent Brittany Spears tour, too.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I liked Halloween Wars a lot better this year. They could have cut down the times they showed the pumpkin guy eat it on the turn from like 20 down to 3 and cut the slow-mo versions of the reaction shots they just showed normally a few seconds earlier. It did give us a great laugh though.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Christopher Irvine posted:

I liked Halloween Wars a lot better this year. They could have cut down the times they showed the pumpkin guy eat it on the turn from like 20 down to 3 and cut the slow-mo versions of the reaction shots they just showed normally a few seconds earlier. It did give us a great laugh though.

Yeah that was ridiculous, they built that moment up the entire series and he ended up being fine.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Food Network editors are masters of taking out of context clips and using them to make it seem like something is actually going to happen later in the show. My favorite example of this that I remember seeing was on that Bobby Flay restaurant opening show. They had an episode where they kept showing a clip of one the staff walking away saying "I'm done". In the context of the episode he kept making really dumb suggestions and endlessly insisting that they try them out. The owner told him to stop it and the "I'm done" was in the context of him saying he was done making stupid suggestions. They took a moment of resolution and made it look like a moment of conflict. That's just stunning.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

axleblaze posted:

Food Network editors are masters of taking out of context clips and using them to make it seem like something is actually going to happen later in the show. My favorite example of this that I remember seeing was on that Bobby Flay restaurant opening show. They had an episode where they kept showing a clip of one the staff walking away saying "I'm done". In the context of the episode he kept making really dumb suggestions and endlessly insisting that they try them out. The owner told him to stop it and the "I'm done" was in the context of him saying he was done making stupid suggestions. They took a moment of resolution and made it look like a moment of conflict. That's just stunning.

Food Network editing seems to support their ongoing mission: make dramatic moments from mundane events. I suppose that makes sense given their recent shift from cooking related shows to competition/reality programming with a food background. Watching an episode of Chopped should be mandatory viewing for any editor wanting to learn how to (try to) manufacture interest.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Sorry to double post, but I did sit though a 7-8 minute patch of Sandra Lee's Taverns, Drunkards, and Boozers (or whatever it was called last night). I thought I couldn't laugh at her more until I saw this, the mental image of watching her slam kamikazes is still burned into my head.

On a less serious note, in that context she kind of reminded me of that girl in school that would date all the guys in a particular clique.

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012

CrushedWill posted:

Food Network editing seems to support their ongoing mission: make dramatic moments from mundane events. I suppose that makes sense given their recent shift from cooking related shows to competition/reality programming with a food background. Watching an episode of Chopped should be mandatory viewing for any editor wanting to learn how to (try to) manufacture interest.

I could tell you about this all day long. I'm a cake artist with 5 appearances on Food Network Challenge, and a new (can't talk about it) show to come on next year. Of course every production company is different, but hot drat, Food Network Challenge had mastered this for their last season. For my new show, I tried to give them some exciting moments so they wouldn't have to twist the mundane ones. Hopefully it will pan out that way on TV.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

LionsBelow posted:

I could tell you about this all day long. I'm a cake artist with 5 appearances on Food Network Challenge, and a new (can't talk about it) show to come on next year. Of course every production company is different, but hot drat, Food Network Challenge had mastered this for their last season. For my new show, I tried to give them some exciting moments so they wouldn't have to twist the mundane ones. Hopefully it will pan out that way on TV.

I don't know dick about editing, but I would love to hear an honest assessment of how you think they did with how the show is cut. I know that might be tough given you don't want to jeopardize any future opportunities, but I'd still be interested in what you could share.

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012

CrushedWill posted:

I don't know dick about editing, but I would love to hear an honest assessment of how you think they did with how the show is cut. I know that might be tough given you don't want to jeopardize any future opportunities, but I'd still be interested in what you could share.

I've been doing FN Challenges for about 3 years. When I started out (when they used to shoot in the old studio), they were much more honest about how the show with edited and presented. We were encouraged to do some explaining of the techniques and such. But later on, ratings became more important and they started twisting elements more. They started doing a lot of what you'd expect from reality shows, like taking a line from the beginning of the episode and dropping it in elsewhere. It was frustrating to watch on TV. Often it was done to create a "storyline" that never existed at all.

One example that comes to mind is of an episode that I did where they shut the lights off in the middle of the challenge for a "ghost" episode. I was on top of a ladder, and let out a "oh, you've got to be kidding me". They edited it to make it sound like I was referring to the "ghost" and not to the production crew, who I trusted more than to do that!

Once I accepted that they needed to do this sort of thing for the ratings (read: $$$), I got better about feeding it to them, though. It's sad to have to do that, but it's what the people (read: housewives) want.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Are you Bronwyn Webber?

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012

criscodisco posted:

Are you Bronwyn Webber?

No, I wish! She's awesome, though.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
drat. I just wanted to know how you lost so much weight (if you had been her). Saw her not long ago on one of the shows (can't remember which), and she was drastically smaller. Maybe she stopped tasting her fondant?

A good friend turned me from a wine drinker into a vodka drinker last year, and I've gained 30 lbs in the last year. Make me a cake with no calories, I'll pay pretty well.

PS: I know you're secretly Bronwyn.

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012

criscodisco posted:

drat. I just wanted to know how you lost so much weight (if you had been her). Saw her not long ago on one of the shows (can't remember which), and she was drastically smaller. Maybe she stopped tasting her fondant?

A good friend turned me from a wine drinker into a vodka drinker last year, and I've gained 30 lbs in the last year. Make me a cake with no calories, I'll pay pretty well.

PS: I know you're secretly Bronwyn.

Haha, I am so sorry to disappoint you.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
NICA Redemption was sooooo boring. Just kick everyone out except for Mehta and Falkner so she can win already.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

LionsBelow posted:

I think I know who you are, so I have just one question.

Is Claire Robinson as pretty in real life as she is on TV?

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012
I'd like to know who you think I am! :)

I have a funny story about Claire: I was on one of the first episodes to film in the new studio (read: new host, new judges). We didn't know who the new host was until we saw her. I was hanging out in the green room before the Challenge when this frazzled woman came in with her hair in rollers and anti-wrinkle strips all over her face. I remember thinking "good lord, that woman looked awful!". I was shocked to see that later, without all of the stuff all over her head, she looked great....and was also our new host.

She was really nervous for the first episode, I remember. Compared to how confident Keegan always is, it was definitely a change. She's a great gal, though. She always talks with us very candidly and openly. That's one of the reason I love(d) Challenge! The crew was always really cool and friendly. Rest in peace, Challenge.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

LionsBelow posted:

I have a funny story about Claire: I was on one of the first episodes to film in the new studio (read: new host, new judges). We didn't know who the new host was until we saw her. I was hanging out in the green room before the Challenge when this frazzled woman came in with her hair in rollers and anti-wrinkle strips all over her face. I remember thinking "good lord, that woman looked awful!". I was shocked to see that later, without all of the stuff all over her head, she looked great....and was also our new host.

She was really nervous for the first episode, I remember. Compared to how confident Keegan always is, it was definitely a change. She's a great gal, though. She always talks with us very candidly and openly. That's one of the reason I love(d) Challenge! The crew was always really cool and friendly. Rest in peace, Challenge.

Is it Falkner? I saw that rumored somewhere.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

LionsBelow posted:

If it's OK to say, Kaysie Lackey.

If it's not OK to say, Kerry Vincent.

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012
Not sure what Faulkner is, so I'm going to say no.

Jamesman posted:

If it's OK to say, Kaysie Lackey.

If it's not OK to say, Kerry Vincent.

Haha! Kaysie is a really good friend of mine, so you are very close! I have never won a Challenge (although Kaysie robbed me of one), so I'm not as well known as you might think. I think you all are going to be very disappointed once you figure it out.

I am mostly certainly not Kerry Vincent. She hates me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kerry Vincent hates everybody. She frosts her cakes with the fear of those that exist below her.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sock monkey cake?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well drat, I guess my addiction to Challenge isn't/wasn't as strong as I thought it was. I remembered that episode where they shut off the lights, and I thought it was Kaysie who said that.

You should probably just tell us who you are, otherwise I'll just end up going through every name I can think of... But now I'm going to guess you're Catherine Ruehle.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I kind of hope your that kinda crazy artsy one that at one point literally set her cake on fire. She was awesome and Kerry hated her more than anyone else.

As long as your not that bald guy with the glasses that wins alot it'll all be good. I hate that guy.

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012
Haha, no, I'm not that lady! That's Stevie Famulari. Word on the Challenge street is that she is a friend of one of the executive producers of FN. She's a classically trained sculptor with no cake experience. He apparently brought her on the show knowing what a train wreck she'd be. I approve.

The other guy is Richard Ruskell. I've competed against him. He's a nice guy, if a bit smug.

PS: Jamesman, you're only missing the one other girl on that Challenge. I'm disappointed! So, so very close.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

LionsBelow posted:

PS: Jamesman, you're only missing the one other girl on that Challenge. I'm disappointed! So, so very close.

Carter Holton?

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012
Oh lord. Now you're only missing me.

PS: No names on here, though. I've said too much! I think you've figured it out at this point. I'd hate for execs to be googling all the juicy details I've been spewing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Guessing's no fun if I get it right on the first try. :v:

Honestly, I thought you were either Kaysie or... well, you, based on a quick search to refresh my memory. The thing about the ladder and the lights, I kept remembering that scene being Kaysie for some reason, so I went with that, but my search led me to believe my other guess would be the right answer.

Anyway hi. :)

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

LionsBelow posted:

I'd hate for execs to be googling all the juicy details I've been spewing.

You are assuming that the execs can:

1. Read
2. Have access to and can actually use computers at their workplace
3. Can google

I don't know the execs of which you speak, but the ones I am familiar with are lucky to get a score of 1/3.

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012

Jamesman posted:

Guessing's no fun if I get it right on the first try. :v:

Honestly, I thought you were either Kaysie or... well, you, based on a quick search to refresh my memory. The thing about the ladder and the lights, I kept remembering that scene being Kaysie for some reason, so I went with that, but my search led me to believe my other guess would be the right answer.

Anyway hi. :)

:) I'm glad you figured it out. I own a business now, and we have a Food Network logo on the door. When I started doing the Challenges, people would come in and spend all day talking to me about how much they loved my Challenges.

These days, though, people just come in and say "OH! I remember you from x episode of Cupcakes Wars". I hate Cupcake Wars.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Dooders, she's Bronwen Weber and won't admit it. Bitch, you think you're all that but your sugar lakes look like a chunk of blue plastic.

Just kidding, of course.

I can't stand Clair Robinson. I want to like her, but her voice sounds exactly like mine when I've had too much to drink over the course of a day, and I'm a guy. A gay one, but still. I don't need to be confronted with reality when I'm watching reality TV.

So, Challenge was cancelled? I had no idea, just thought I was waiting for a new season.

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 6, 2012

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Why have challenge episodes when you can have cupcake wars forever?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Why have challenge episodes when you can have cupcake wars forever?
We all know that everyone loves watching the creation of dozens of episodes worth of nearly-identical cupcakes, differentiated only by whatever the blatently sponsored theme happens to be that week! :allears:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
They just need to have Chef Ron Ben-Israel host all of those desert shows to make them worth watching. We could have something like Sweet Genius: Cupcakes!, Sweet Genius: Sugar Sculpture Challenge! and what not.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Teh host of Capcake Wars is incredibly douchey. Like I actually find it amazing that there's a guy that irritating around and that someone thought that he should host a show.

Cupcake Wars in general is just awful. I mean with Food Network Challenge, the cakes never looked tasty but there was some impressive stuff going on and some of the contestants were cool. Cupcake wars it's just people making cupacakes and arranging them in uninteresting ways and pretty much everyone on that show is an irritating horrible person. I remember on Ace of Cakes Duff often talked about how much he didn't like Cupcakes and I think it might be because he had to hang out with those that make them.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Haifisch posted:

We all know that everyone loves watching the creation of dozens of episodes worth of nearly-identical cupcakes, differentiated only by whatever the blatently sponsored theme happens to be that week! :allears:

Sometimes I find out about new movies just because of the Cupcake Wars promo.

Last weekend: "There's another new Ninja Turtles movie? Again? What?"

I don't think I said anything about Iron Chef Redemption because I read this thread on my phone yesterday but that episode was dull. Though it's good to see that, years later, Spike is still incapable of cooking scallops well.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

I don't think I said anything about Iron Chef Redemption because I read this thread on my phone yesterday but that episode was dull. Though it's good to see that, years later, Spike is still incapable of cooking scallops well.

At least there was some comedy in Chef Love bragging about cooking a steak that he didn't serve to the judges, and subsequently being eliminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionsBelow
Oct 30, 2012

dude789 posted:

They just need to have Chef Ron Ben-Israel host all of those desert shows to make them worth watching. We could have something like Sweet Genius: Cupcakes!, Sweet Genius: Sugar Sculpture Challenge! and what not.

Chef Ron is a friend of mine! He would be so flattered to hear you say that. :) He was really glad this new season of Sweet Genius was better. He looked like a Disney villain in the first one.

Cupcakes suck because the profit margin on them is very, very slim. No one wants to pay more that $2 per cupcake, but they would like you to create a very detailed replica of their husband's 69 Camaro to go on each one, please.

• Locked thread