Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Gambl0r posted:

I know exactly what you mean. I've been trying for a long time, too... and so far have no forest photos I'm really proud of.

While it is possible to get a good photo in whatever conditions - a truly striking photo taken in the forest is difficult. You want little ground cover so the shot doesn't look completely random and cluttered, and you need enough open canopy to let in some light but not too open or it will look like you're outside the forest looking in. And overcast shots in the forest look flat and lame (I know, since I spent a good two days in a completely overcast redwoods forest :()

See, this is the exact problem, you have an extraordinarily narrow idea of what a 'truly striking' forest photo is. Stop making universal claims when they apply to nothing but your extremely specific aims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Reichstag posted:

See, this is the exact problem, you have an extraordinarily narrow idea of what a 'truly striking' forest photo is. Stop making universal claims when they apply to nothing but your extremely specific aims.

OK, "the truly striking photo I am thinking of". Do I really need to specify this?

8th-samurai posted:

Yeah, he could make a photo, but not the photo.

This is it exactly.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Gambl0r posted:

OK, "the truly striking photo I am thinking of". Do I really need to specify this?

Yes, because as it stands you're making insane categorical claims.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Going out to take landscape photography with a goal of walking away with a specific photo in mind if a pretty good way to disappoint yourself unless you have all year access to a location. It's just not going to happen very often. Do your research ahead of time, but be prepared to adapt to your situation and draw visual inspiration from it. Shoot accordingly. Worst case scenario is you spend a day out in nature and make some mistakes you can learn from, it's a pretty good deal.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

aliencowboy posted:

Going out to take landscape photography with a goal of walking away with a specific photo in mind if a pretty good way to disappoint yourself unless you have all year access to a location. It's just not going to happen very often. Do your research ahead of time, but be prepared to adapt to your situation and draw visual inspiration from it. Shoot accordingly. Worst case scenario is you spend a day out in nature and make some mistakes you can learn from, it's a pretty good deal.

Which is exactly why I have not got the photo in my mind. There is probably a good chance I will never get it. It does not stop me from going out and trying and ending up with something different than what I had in mind. Like you say when it really comes down to landscape photography a lot of just happens to being at a certain place at a certain time. That said when I am out I always keep that idea in my head so if I do find a location that I feel would work and the conditions are not right it is something I can come back to.

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Dread Head posted:

Which is exactly why I have not got the photo in my mind. There is probably a good chance I will never get it. It does not stop me from going out and trying and ending up with something different than what I had in mind. Like you say when it really comes down to landscape photography a lot of just happens to being at a certain place at a certain time. That said when I am out I always keep that idea in my head so if I do find a location that I feel would work and the conditions are not right it is something I can come back to.

This is pretty much what I do too. I'll get an idea in my head about a particular location and every time I see a forecast or sky that appears to be cooperating I'll drive out if I'm available and try for it. Usually if the sky or light or wind or water isn't behaving right then I'll practice a few other compositions and see if I can find a better one for next time. It's enjoyable even when you don't come back with a shot and it makes the final product feel like more of an accomplishment when it does come together in the end.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Yeah, I'm getting into that argument. Everyone on the internet is obsessed with "great light" and I am not really sure what that is anymore.

Think about what you are photographing, why, and what you are trying to say and stop obsessing over perfect light and such things. A lot of people here have perfectly sufficient technical skill but are stuck in an echo chamber and aren't producing much work worth discussing or even viewing. And that should bother you, not just invoke a mad post.

But that's what it'll do.

Theres no need to offend people's work here to make your point, some people take photos because they want to showcase nature and beautiful scenes, not make an artistic statement, and that is just as valid of a use of this medium as what you are talking about. I'll be the first to admit that there isn't a single shot I take that has some emotional meaning or statement behind it, its just a photo of something I thought looked nice enough to share, and I spend just as much time and effort making that photo as does someone who is doing a series of black and white film shots about "the soullessness of our suburbs and the plague of urban sprawl".

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

InternetJunky posted:

I love all the shots you posted, but I wish you had just posted this one first without the others.

Haha i did think about doing that but thought it'd look like i was trying to be too clever for my own good; glad you like them though :)

This is absolutely astounding; would frame this on my wall without hesitation.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
Slowly working my way through the holiday snapshots:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I found water in New Mexico. Williams Lake - 11,040 feet. Shot with iPhone 4s.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Yeah, I'm getting into that argument. Everyone on the internet is obsessed with "great light" and I am not really sure what that is anymore.

Think about what you are photographing, why, and what you are trying to say and stop obsessing over perfect light and such things. A lot of people here have perfectly sufficient technical skill but are stuck in an echo chamber and aren't producing much work worth discussing or even viewing. And that should bother you, not just invoke a mad post.

But that's what it'll do.

Sorry, but I have to get in on this argument. You don't know what "great light" means anymore? Do you really not see the advantage of proper lighting in a landscape scenario as opposed to flat midday light or light that works against what you're trying to showcase? This may sound silly but I do wonder if Ansel Adams were to showcase his day to day pictures if he'd get people saying "yeah, okay, Ansel, I get what you're trying to do, but seriously, light isn't everything, okay, maybe you should just try blowing my mind with, like, a really good composition. A good composition works regardless of light, so maybe give that a shot."

I know this this may be a dumb argument to some, but I'm pretty certain this is why most landscape photographers only showcase their best shots, not just random shots they took on a hike to some mountain peak in the middle of the day. This is a reason why I don't even break out my camera unless I'm certain I'll have good light, and I'll be the first to admit that this generally works against me sometimes. Regardless, I still think you can't have a landscape without some sort of interesting light. Whether that light is in the eyes of a select few, or available for all to see, that is entirely a different story, but you can't just go around shooting landscapes without a care in the world for the type of light you have. It's true that sometimes having lovely light will work for your benefit, but that doesn't mean you can go around making blanket statements proclaiming that light doesn't matter.

I dunno, I've never seen your shots so I can't comment on them but I guess I'd be curious as to what your resolution would be to shooting an overcast landscape. Not a stormy one with awesome clouds and great contrast, but an overcast landscape filled with ugly grays and flat tones. How would you pull off your amazing composition that would withstand the lack of light? What could you possibly show the viewer that he'd be so enthralled as to proclaim that, yes, this shot is amazing and the fact that it isn't taken during the cliche "golden hour" or that it has flat lighting only makes it better.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you and this isn't what you're actually saying, but that's what it sounds like to me.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
If you don't have contrast, you can always make your own. I've been waiting until the days around here start being more foggy to take advantage of the effect I discovered in the background of this:

Turbine Mast by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Smekerman posted:

Sorry, but I have to get in on this argument. You don't know what "great light" means anymore? Do you really not see the advantage of proper lighting in a landscape scenario as opposed to flat midday light or light that works against what you're trying to showcase? This may sound silly but I do wonder if Ansel Adams were to showcase his day to day pictures if he'd get people saying "yeah, okay, Ansel, I get what you're trying to do, but seriously, light isn't everything, okay, maybe you should just try blowing my mind with, like, a really good composition. A good composition works regardless of light, so maybe give that a shot."

I know this this may be a dumb argument to some, but I'm pretty certain this is why most landscape photographers only showcase their best shots, not just random shots they took on a hike to some mountain peak in the middle of the day. This is a reason why I don't even break out my camera unless I'm certain I'll have good light, and I'll be the first to admit that this generally works against me sometimes. Regardless, I still think you can't have a landscape without some sort of interesting light. Whether that light is in the eyes of a select few, or available for all to see, that is entirely a different story, but you can't just go around shooting landscapes without a care in the world for the type of light you have. It's true that sometimes having lovely light will work for your benefit, but that doesn't mean you can go around making blanket statements proclaiming that light doesn't matter.

I dunno, I've never seen your shots so I can't comment on them but I guess I'd be curious as to what your resolution would be to shooting an overcast landscape. Not a stormy one with awesome clouds and great contrast, but an overcast landscape filled with ugly grays and flat tones. How would you pull off your amazing composition that would withstand the lack of light? What could you possibly show the viewer that he'd be so enthralled as to proclaim that, yes, this shot is amazing and the fact that it isn't taken during the cliche "golden hour" or that it has flat lighting only makes it better.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you and this isn't what you're actually saying, but that's what it sounds like to me.

Interesting you invoke Ansel Adams, who while everyone knows the zone system etc, was quite happy to lug around his equipment and shoot in mid-day sun or other "unfavourable conditions" that a lot of people wouldn't even leave home in with a DSLR. He's pretty much a perfect example of shooting in less than perfect conditions and pulling/pushing and dodge/burning your picture while relying on the overall composition to keep the sense of grandeur.

I mean, Tenaya Creek, Aspens, and a lot of his best photographs were not taken during conventional "golden hour" (eg. Nevada Fall), but at times where his familiarity with the landscape and the likely conditions allowed him to predict favourable lighting. And as everyone knows, he was not adverse to "helping" things along in the darkroom.

"Not great lighting" doesn't mean "no lighting". And texture can create contrast between foreground and background on its own.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I think the point it, you are more likely to get good results with good light but don't let bad light prevent you from trying.

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Whitezombi posted:

I found water in New Mexico. Williams Lake - 11,040 feet. Shot with iPhone 4s.

Nice! Looks like the water level is down a bit. Did you go the rest of the way up? There is a neat stream about half way between there and the saddle.

If you did get to the top, I am curious if this guy is still there:

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

macx posted:

Nice! Looks like the water level is down a bit. Did you go the rest of the way up? There is a neat stream about half way between there and the saddle.

If you did get to the top, I am curious if this guy is still there:

The water level is the lowest I've ever seen. We did not hike to the top. It was late in the day, pretty drat cold, and we were running out of sunlight. You live in the area or just visit?

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

What do you think I'm gonna do? I'm gonna save the fuckin' day!

Saint Fu posted:

I think the point it, you are more likely to get good results with good light but don't let bad light prevent you from trying.

This is a pretty good way to put it, IMO.

In my experience, yes, you can get good landscape photos in poo poo light. BUT- it needs to have something else extraordinary going for it as well. Extraordinary composition, subject, just something else. But then, if you can make that 9/10 photograph in lovely light, why not wait for the good light and push it to 10/10 or even that "extra credit" 11/10? That way you'd have extraordinary composition, subject, AND light.

Anyway, some recent shots of mine:

Sunset in the Diablo Foothills
by Don_H

San Francisco Bay and Young Moon
by Don_H

The Fog Rolls In...
by Don_H

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That 70s Shirt posted:

In my experience, yes, you can get good landscape photos in poo poo light. BUT- it needs to have something else extraordinary going for it as well. Extraordinary composition, subject, just something else. But then, if you can make that 9/10 photograph in lovely light, why not wait for the good light and push it to 10/10 or even that "extra credit" 11/10? That way you'd have extraordinary composition, subject, AND light.

Time? Self preservation?

If I and my wife were a 6 mile hike away from our shelter, hanging out on top of a mountain to wait for sunset isn't really a reasonable choice.

So harsh shadows from taking pictures at 3pm is what we're gonna go home with.

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

xzzy posted:

Time? Self preservation?

If I and my wife were a 6 mile hike away from our shelter, hanging out on top of a mountain to wait for sunset isn't really a reasonable choice.

So harsh shadows from taking pictures at 3pm is what we're gonna go home with.

Right, and that's fine. And if you like the shots you got out of it then who cares what others think. I'm just saying that if it's an option try to get the good light as well the other stuff. You won't regret it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I went backcountry camping in a blizzard last week.

Barrier Dam by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Jewel Bay, Barrier Lake by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Barrier Lake Morning by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Cold Morning, Barrier Lake by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Kananaskis Frost by Trips in the Rockies, on Flickr

Yes, I know there's spots. I'll deal with them later, when I get my copy of Photoshop shipped to me (taking advantage of the student discount at the university).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Picnic Princess posted:

each of these owns owns owns

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah they do holy poo poo.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Sure wish I was brave enough to camp in a blizzard...those are pretty wicked.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

I really like this but it needs to be desaturated a little, IMO. Adds to the fogginess.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Well, first post in this forum. These pictures were shot with an Olympus point and shoot waterproof camera - TG-610. I haven't done any post-processing work at all on these. These are probably an affront to your eyes and make you want to throw your laptop out your window, but no matter how bad you think the pictures are, I think the landscapes themselves were quite nice. I'll post a few and hopefully I'm not immediately banned. If you want to make suggestions regarding layout and whatnot feel free and I'll take it mind when I take some more photos. Or if you want me to stop posting I'll do that too.

Cambodia:

Australian Outback:

British Columbia:

Vietnam:

Sorry about the insane sky on this one, there's not much I could have done. Low overcast sky at mid-day - I didn't really have the luxury of waiting for good conditions. The climb to the peak of the mountain was a few hours, then I climbed to the top of a rotten wooden tower that was on the peak. It was sketchy as hell.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 31, 2012

macx
Feb 3, 2005

Whitezombi posted:

The water level is the lowest I've ever seen. We did not hike to the top. It was late in the day, pretty drat cold, and we were running out of sunlight. You live in the area or just visit?

Just visiting. My wife and I loved it out there (I've done a lot of hiking in that region over the years) so who knows, maybe we will move there some day.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

stratdax posted:

These are probably an affront to your eyes and make you want to throw your laptop out your window,

mlmp

But really the only one that I find off is the british columbia one, it seems over saturated to me.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

You have been to some amazing places! I think your second Cambodia shot and the BC shot are very cool. I don't think the overall saturation in the BC one is too high, just that weird super-blue sky that can happen with a lot of point-and-shoot cameras without a polarizer.

Picnic Princess posted:

I love this one as a thumbnail. It looks like there was some camera shake when I look at it larger, but I assume you didn't have a tripod with you on a long backcountry hike, so I can see how that would be difficult! I like how the dark foreground frames that distant bright area. The sunlit snow in the foreground is great. Clean that sensor dust!

--
Three from the redwoods forest during the few hours I had awesome light.

Edit: For the first one, I shot about 20 photos at the edge of a bright sunny area trying to get some dramatic lens flare without blowing out the whole image. Turns out it's difficult to get subtle lens flare when you are trying to get it to show up. But it's always there when I'm trying to avoid it. Most of the other images are completely washed out by it, or highlight the incredible amount of dust was on the end of my lens at the time. Here's one variant with a little more flare... better or worse?

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 2, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I find the flaring in both the examples terribly distracting.. it's all I can look at.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Gambl0r posted:

I love this one as a thumbnail. It looks like there was some camera shake when I look at it larger, but I assume you didn't have a tripod with you on a long backcountry hike, so I can see how that would be difficult! I like how the dark foreground frames that distant bright area. The sunlit snow in the foreground is great. Clean that sensor dust!

I did have a tripod, but there was a strong, cold wind coming in off the water at the time. I bet that shook the camera, or maybe I touched a leg while I was avoiding the breeze coming in the tent. Oh yeah, this was with the camera poking out through a vent in the door of the tent from the tent pad I spent the night at. Great view!

I was really hoping to get a great shot of stars, meteors, and possibly an aurora that night, but the blizzard and leftover cloud cover kind of destroyed that.

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands
Went out this afternoon just to give landscapes a go as most of my photos so far have been of animals or plants.

Crabtree Plantation, Old Basing by icechris023, on Flickr

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

Don't know how I missed this one. This is a savage photo, I love that hard line from the lights reflection, at first you look at it thinking its unnatural, then after thinking about it for a second it makes sense. The image just oozes atmosphere.

Finally got my CPL but didn't need it this time, nice to have though.

whaam fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 4, 2012

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Fall by hookshot88, on Flickr

Terra by hookshot88, on Flickr

Fall by hookshot88, on Flickr

Not super happy with these, but oh well.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Gambl0r posted:

You have been to some amazing places! I think your second Cambodia shot and the BC shot are very cool. I don't think the overall saturation in the BC one is too high, just that weird super-blue sky that can happen with a lot of point-and-shoot cameras without a polarizer.

Mr. Despair posted:

But really the only one that I find off is the british columbia one, it seems over saturated to me.

Alright cool! Now I remember that BC one was taken with a Sony point and shoot. Maybe the Olympus does blues better because it's built to take pictures underwater? I dunno.

Laos:

Taken with the Olympus point and shoot, using the panorama function.

Gambl0r posted:

--
Three from the redwoods forest during the few hours I had awesome light.

The lens flare picture looks like tilt-shift miniature faking. And the second picture makes me want to go jogging - even though I loathe it. Very nice.

A Wizard
Jan 9, 2007
Went up to Howth with my parents, a small fishing village outside Dublin. First time taking pictures in a long while, not sure if B&W or colour looks better on these.

Howth, Co. Dublin, Ireland.

Howth, Co. Dublin, Ireland.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote
They're kind of boring as they are, and I would suggest cropping a lot closer to the lighthouse. Also, since you're on the wrong side of the landmass relative to the sun, it has become an underexposed black blob on my monitor (calibrated to 120 cd), you might want to brighten that up.

The landmass on the right side of the horizon makes me feel the horizon is tilted. It's probably not, but it skews the weight of the image and makes me uneasy.

The color balance is nice though, and the sea has a nice hue to it. Definitely worth working on.

Mathturbator fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 4, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like the B&W quite a bit more. It works well with shooting the shaded side of the hill, and the contrast in the clouds help balance the image.

The portrait oriented color version feels very "snapshotty".

That 70s Shirt
Dec 6, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

So I know everyone has already said how great these are, but it really bears repeating. "Barrier Lake Morning" is easily my favorite.

whereismyshoe posted:

I really like this but it needs to be desaturated a little, IMO. Adds to the fogginess.

I actually tried this during processing, just on a whim. I decided that I liked the saturated colors more because it contrasts nicely the with boring grey of the fog.

A new one from a recent trip down to the Monterey Bay area (lots to process so expect more):

Guiding Light by Don_H

whaam
Mar 18, 2008
How am I supposed to shoot a variety of landscapes when the only thing around me is loving rocks. :negative:

whaam fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 6, 2012

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
I hear that, my Maritime brother. Looks great, though.

DSC_7279.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_7222.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_7267.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.

Thought the layers were pretty cool.