Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Crankit posted:

long pig

Eh, this one varies from person to person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
So I got a couple of dress shirts from Macy's today and couldn't try them on first because store policy doesn't allow you to take them out of their packaging before purchase. Like an idiot, I cut off all the tags before I tried them on and discovered that they're far too big for me (the lady measured me and told me which size to get! Apparently she is not very good at her job). What are the chances that I'll be able to exchange them? I do still have the receipt and all the packaging. I tried calling the store, but they've closed early today and will be closed tomorrow due to the storm.

In a related note, two more questions:
1) Is there a way to reliably and intentionally shrink clothing?
2) My collar size for shirts is 15 1/2. 32/33 is just a smidge too tight, but I swim in 34/35, even if they're slim fit or fitted. What are my options here? Lose a little weight? Gain a lot of weight? Pay a fortune and get my shirts tailored?

Addy
Oct 14, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

So I got a couple of dress shirts from Macy's today and couldn't try them on first because store policy doesn't allow you to take them out of their packaging before purchase. Like an idiot, I cut off all the tags before I tried them on and discovered that they're far too big for me (the lady measured me and told me which size to get! Apparently she is not very good at her job). What are the chances that I'll be able to exchange them? I do still have the receipt and all the packaging. I tried calling the store, but they've closed early today and will be closed tomorrow due to the storm.

2) My collar size for shirts is 15 1/2. 32/33 is just a smidge too tight, but I swim in 34/35, even if they're slim fit or fitted. What are my options here? Lose a little weight? Gain a lot of weight? Pay a fortune and get my shirts tailored?

Definitely call again when they're open, and do the following in the meantime: keep everything, including the tags if you still have them. Fold/hang the shirts as they were originally purchased, or if you're not good at that just hang them up somewhere safe where they won't get crumpled/linty/etc. I don't know how flexible Macy's policy is specifically, but having worked in several retail stores - clothing and otherwise - we never had a problem taking something back if the actual item was still in its original condition (ie packaging included, but we didn't necessarily expect you to put it all back together yourself) - and most tags were easy enough to re-attach. And this is probably obvious, but treating the person you're asking the return from like an actual living breathing human being can go miles.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Back in the older days of Something Awful, there was this piece of software that I think was developed by a goon that was used for downloading images by the bulkload from websites. It was a tiny piece of software, and I think it was like only one tiny file that you could just easily move around. I remember that in order to download photos, you had to input a URL looked something like this:

http://wwww.genericsite.com/image001.jpg?image999.jpg

It would then scan the site and download every image from image001.jpg, image002.jpg, etc. all the way to image999.jpg. It was a nice handy and tool and I liked how small it was, and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I think it had something to do with fruits or pineapples or something but I'm probably complete off on that. Anyone have any idea what the hell I'm talking about?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Dark Wind posted:

Back in the older days of Something Awful, there was this piece of software that I think was developed by a goon that was used for downloading images by the bulkload from websites.

I don't know if it's what you're thinking of, but there's DownThemAll, a Firefox extension, which does what you describe.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Everydayminerals.com has a chart that lets you figure out what skin tone you have/shade of makeup you need and lets you try 7 samples to figure out which is best.

I love that, but I don't frankly care for the makeup very much. Are there any other online sites/stores that offer similar charts? I don't need a ton of free samples, but i'm sick to death of not knowing whether or not a makeup is the right shade for me til after I've got it home. The makeup shops in town have a good selection, but none of the makeups ever seem to indicate what kind of skin tone they're good for - they're just a range from "pale" to "not pale" and most seem to focus on pink-toned skin, which I do not have.

I really like everydaymineral's skin guide, do any other shops do that?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Are intersection camera traffic tickets legit? I live in Oregon; if my address has changed a bunch of times in the last year how would I even know if I got a ticket? What are the repercussions of not paying it? Are they going to get rid of those lovely cameras some day?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
http://imgur.com/1I1Lg

I just zapped this spider with my electric fly swatter, ~the size of a 50 cent piece. WTF is this monster? I live in the bay area northern california I've never seen a spider like this in my house.

VVV Thanks mod will post there now.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 29, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
For reference, there's a GBS thread where "what is this bug?" questions usually go.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

second-hand smegma posted:

Are intersection camera traffic tickets legit? I live in Oregon; if my address has changed a bunch of times in the last year how would I even know if I got a ticket? What are the repercussions of not paying it? Are they going to get rid of those lovely cameras some day?

Well, I don't know about any of the later parts/repercussions, but 5 or 6 years ago I got a ticket from one of the automatic speed cameras in Beaverton. I appealed and it was dropped because they couldn't identify the driver as the car's owner (my dad). The popular perception seems to be that they'll usually drop it if you protest the ticket, especially if the person photographed isn't the owner of the car (or if it's unclear/your face is obscured). I think you can check on outstanding tickets at a DMV. If there actually is an outstanding ticket you can request to see the photo, which you should do.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

The Dark Wind posted:

Back in the older days of Something Awful, there was this piece of software that I think was developed by a goon that was used for downloading images by the bulkload from websites. It was a tiny piece of software, and I think it was like only one tiny file that you could just easily move around. I remember that in order to download photos, you had to input a URL looked something like this:

http://wwww.genericsite.com/image001.jpg?image999.jpg

It would then scan the site and download every image from image001.jpg, image002.jpg, etc. all the way to image999.jpg. It was a nice handy and tool and I liked how small it was, and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I think it had something to do with fruits or pineapples or something but I'm probably complete off on that. Anyone have any idea what the hell I'm talking about?

Sounds like wget (which probably isn't goon made e: it's from 1996 actually). It's a command line program so you might've had/want to use a gui version of it.

ommega
Oct 21, 2010
So I'm thinking of using Virgin Mobile's 4G Hotspot device as my household internet service. Mostly for the no contract thing and because of the bad rep of century link and that Fios is too expensive for me.

Is this a wise choice for everyday internet use? I'll probably won't stream movies everyday but might stream a couple videos on the weekends and just do regular browsing on weekdays.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Where can I get free background checks on people? Not for a business or anything, just for personal safety.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Avocados posted:

Where can I get free background checks on people? Not for a business or anything, just for personal safety.

Don't think you can. If you could get it for free, why would anyone pay for them? Some places have limited court records online though, so if you know their name and where they live you could maybe find something, but it would be far from a full picture.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Avocados posted:

Pretty sure that someone has to consent to a background check, as well. At my old (now defunct) carpooling startup, we'd provide background checks to our customers as part of a safety protocol, and it was a Big loving Deal to maintain proper records that we'd done everything correctly.

Maybe the laws vary state-to-state, but I seem to recall that California required you to give background check recipients a copy of their background check whenever one was run on them.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I'm trying to remember the name of a breakfast bar, but the name is eluding me. It was a rectangular chocolate coated bar and the interior was like packed gritty sand. It wasn't chewy, but not exactly crunchy either - mostly it was just dry. The last time I remember eating one was sometime in the mid 80s, so I don't know if they still even exist.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Sounds like any number of supplement bars... or even some MRE bars.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

tarepanda posted:

Sounds like any number of supplement bars... or even some MRE bars.

I remembered what it is - Carnation Breakfast Bars. Man, those things were good. Sadly, it looks like they are no longer being made.

What's this about candy bars in MREs? Back in my day, if you wanted candy with your MRE, you'd mix cocoa powder with coffee creamer and pour that concoction over some peanut butter smeared on those hefty crackers. The hard part was collecting all of those items. Nobody ever wanted to part with their peanut butter or crackers.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Does anything know about the legitimacy of medical lien transportation?
A friend of mines brother is doing it now, about 3 weeks in but he hasn';t got paid yet. I have seen a few jobs on craigslist, but they seem too good to be true.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/trp/3372016055.html
http://losangeles.jobslistingusa.com/exp-drivers-full-time-part-time-make-month-southern-24635.html

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

b0nes posted:

Does anything know about the legitimacy of medical lien transportation?
A friend of mines brother is doing it now, about 3 weeks in but he hasn';t got paid yet. I have seen a few jobs on craigslist, but they seem too good to be true.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/trp/3372016055.html
http://losangeles.jobslistingusa.com/exp-drivers-full-time-part-time-make-month-southern-24635.html
Sounds shady as hell. Generally ads that say "not a scam" are, in fact, scams.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Facebook seems to have changed the news feed options again. I used to be able to click on Photos to get a stream of photos people have posted, but now that just takes me to my own photos. Is there still a way to do what I used to do?

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Huntersoninski posted:

Everydayminerals.com has a chart that lets you figure out what skin tone you have/shade of makeup you need and lets you try 7 samples to figure out which is best.

I love that, but I don't frankly care for the makeup very much. Are there any other online sites/stores that offer similar charts? I don't need a ton of free samples, but i'm sick to death of not knowing whether or not a makeup is the right shade for me til after I've got it home. The makeup shops in town have a good selection, but none of the makeups ever seem to indicate what kind of skin tone they're good for - they're just a range from "pale" to "not pale" and most seem to focus on pink-toned skin, which I do not have.

I really like everydaymineral's skin guide, do any other shops do that?

What you need is the Foundation Matrix.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Does this:

Taste the same as white cheddar popcorn sold in bags? I occasionally buy white cheddar popcorn imported from America (because we don't have it here in the UK), but I'm wondering if this tastes basically the same or if it's likely to taste like something else (like, for example, actual cheddar cheese).

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Reveilled posted:

Does this:

Taste the same as white cheddar popcorn sold in bags? I occasionally buy white cheddar popcorn imported from America (because we don't have it here in the UK), but I'm wondering if this tastes basically the same or if it's likely to taste like something else (like, for example, actual cheddar cheese).

It's not going to taste like white cheddar. Really your best bet is to pop your own popcorn on the stove and using something like this: http://www.kernelseasons.com/shop_product_detail.php?pid=5

Infinitely better than any microwaved stuff.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

It's not going to taste like white cheddar. Really your best bet is to pop your own popcorn on the stove and using something like this: http://www.kernelseasons.com/shop_product_detail.php?pid=5

Infinitely better than any microwaved stuff.

Thanks, I had no idea seasoning stuff existed! I've never been keen on Microwave popcorn either, but I can look into trying to get that seasoning here in the UK while sticking with imported bags for now.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Centzon Totochtin posted:

1) Not really. It's too hit-or-miss.
2) I wouldn't bother with paying to have the shirts tailored unless it's one you absolutely love. What I would recommend is trying different brands - there's a lot of variability and even vanity sizing in men's dress shirts. Just because Calvin Klein fitted ones are too big doesn't mean DKNY ones will be. Alternately, look into something like Indochino, which is an online "made to measure" shop. Shirts will cost about what it costs to buy a good dress shirt and pay to have it altered, but everything I've read has said that it's much better.

Try asking for specific brand recommendations in the men's fashion thread. I promise there's one line that runs smaller and will work great.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
What's the preferred method of getting your credit score, or reasonable facsimile thereof? I want to get pre-approved for a mortgage, and my bank's website wants an estimate of my FICO score. Should I go directly to one of the credit bureaus and take it from there? I just pulled my free annual report from TransUnion who wants :tenbux: for it, but is there a legitimate source that's less?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

stubblyhead posted:

What's the preferred method of getting your credit score, or reasonable facsimile thereof? I want to get pre-approved for a mortgage, and my bank's website wants an estimate of my FICO score. Should I go directly to one of the credit bureaus and take it from there? I just pulled my free annual report from TransUnion who wants :tenbux: for it, but is there a legitimate source that's less?

Get them all first and make sure there is nothing misreported.

This estimator got mine within range: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/credit-score-fico-calculator.aspx

If you go for the paid option read the fine print and pay attention a lot of the sites try to hook you into expensive annual poo poo. Personally, I would pay the one time rate from Equifax (but they have the same "buy our annual reporting/monitoring service" thing too.)

Kind of weird they would ask you to estimate it since it's super proprietary information.

The BFC forum is probably the best place to look/ask.

ChubbyEmoBabe fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 30, 2012

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
In Silent Hill: The Room, I've just started the subway station for the second time. How far am I through this dang game? A little over halfway?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

stubblyhead posted:

Don't pay for a credit report. You can get it free from all 3 agencies once a year. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/freereports/index.shtml

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:
I saw something that really got my mind reeling on Saturday night.

Everyone was dressed up in costume. I saw some well known men cross dressers/homosexuals?

Anyways, so.....it was two guys, who were wearing very elaborate girlish makeup and talking with a lisp, but they were DRESSED UP as Wayne and Garth.

Now, my question is, as two men who are dressing up as women dressing up as men, who exactly do they date typically? Is it other cross dressing men, or other gay guys???

Can men be straight while enjoying cross dressing? Do they date women?

HELP!!!!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OnlyJuanMon posted:

Now, my question is, as two men who are dressing up as women dressing up as men, who exactly do they date typically? Is it other cross dressing men, or other gay guys???

:confused: It depends on their orientation and preferences? Not all crossdressers are homosexual, and of the ones who are, it depends on personal preference whether they're into other crossdressers or not.

quote:

Can men be straight while enjoying cross dressing?

Yep. For some it's a job. Others enjoy the performance-art aspect. Some just give no shits about fashion and wear whatever's comfortable, even if that happens to be a dress. There's probably a bunch of other motivations I can't think of/have never encountered.

quote:

Do they date women?

If they're straight, yeah.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Check out Quizzle.com, they'll give you your credit score for free.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I saw something that really got my mind reeling on Saturday night.

Everyone was dressed up in costume. I saw some well known men cross dressers/homosexuals?

Anyways, so.....it was two guys, who were wearing very elaborate girlish makeup and talking with a lisp, but they were DRESSED UP as Wayne and Garth.

Can men be straight while enjoying cross dressing? Do they date women?

HELP!!!!

no men who wear girl clothes aren't men, gender is defined by what kind of underpants someone wears

jesus, kids these days don't know anything

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Blenheim posted:

In Silent Hill: The Room, I've just started the subway station for the second time. How far am I through this dang game? A little over halfway?

Yep.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

randyest posted:

Don't pay for a credit report. You can get it free from all 3 agencies once a year. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/freereports/index.shtml

Yes, but I am looking for my credit score, which is not included in your credit report. Thanks for mentioning this though, because the more people who use https://www.annualcreditreport.com instead of some other shady thing the better.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

stubblyhead posted:

Yes, but I am looking for my credit score, which is not included in your credit report. Thanks for mentioning this though, because the more people who use https://www.annualcreditreport.com instead of some other shady thing the better.
Ah, yes, you are right. Score is not report. i guess you already know that you can buy your score for pretty cheap after you do annualcreditreport.com. I don't know how you could get it any cheaper unless maybe you have a friend in the business willing to do it for you (and charge his account) or something.

"How can I get my credit score?

You will be given an opportunity to purchase a credit score from any of the nationwide credit reporting agencies after you receive your free annual credit report from any of them in response to a request made through this website."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

quote:

Credit score chat

Since we're on the topic, can anyone explain why looking at your credit score changes it? Why the cloud of Heisenberg uncertainty around a simple number?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Powered Descent posted:

Since we're on the topic, can anyone explain why looking at your credit score changes it? Why the cloud of Heisenberg uncertainty around a simple number?

If many different people are suddenly looking into your credit score, it might indicate that you're looking to start engaging in transactions that all rely on you having good credit. Even if you've had a good credit history, no card company wants to be one of twelve new credit lines that you decided to open up, all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

randyest posted:

Ah, yes, you are right. Score is not report. i guess you already know that you can buy your score for pretty cheap after you do annualcreditreport.com.

Yeah, that's where transunion wanted $10 for it. Myfico.com, which is run by the Fair Isaac Company, does a free ten day trial to one of those score watching things, which you can cancel immediately at no expense. I know the number's only a ballpark figure, but that's all I needed, so I'm happy.