Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

JT Jag posted:

Ok there seriously can't be many pages after this if Jones is at all related to humans.

If there are, we're going to get completely normal human Jones amongst monkeys (or dinosaurs), and that would just be preposterous

Not too preposterous, this comic kinda has an Enkidu thing going for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cyphoderus posted:

I'd like a source for that if you have one. That is very, very unlikely unless the evolution of the human brain is so rapid we could track it as it happens. That isn't anywhere close to happening, as far as I know.

Well, nutrition, especially during childhood, does impact the expression of intelligence, and literacy has been demonstrated to induce a permanent change in the nature (albeit not the effectiveness) of patterns of thought, but in the latter case, more change took place in the last 500 years than in the preceding 500 centuries, and in the former case, prehistoric man was probably better off than protohistoric man.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

'tis a fool's errand to predict how a Gunnerkrigg chapter will end.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

She was dead the whole time!

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
I haven't been keeping up with the thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed, but after reading the update today, I'm pretty convinced that Jones is a Norse God of some sort, whether she knows it or not. We know the existence of these gods is a thing, since Brinnie is a thing.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Next page gonna be all Jetsons floating city, mammoths tromping around in the shadow of flying cars. Jones is in a market, paying for a tube of 'new and improved' anti-aging cream. She rubs some on; end chapter.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

On the subject of Jones VS Coyote, could it be related to how they oppose each other, philosophically? Jones by all appearances is all about order and steadiness, she doesn't change, not even her hairstyle.

Coyote on the other hand, is revelry and chaos, changing and shifting, getting reactions out of people just to see the reactions. We don't know how powerful Jones is, beyond her apparent immortality and her exceedingly high durability and stability, but it might well be that Jones has god-like power purely from people like this Cro-Magnon tribe believing in her, and even the Crusaders would of believed in her, albeit in a "devil witch woman" way.

After all, Jones is, at root, logical and pragmatic, she wouldn't threaten to take Annie away from the forest by force unless she thought she could do so, which would certainly mean somehow beating or avoiding Coyote...

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Her hairstyle has changed with each era.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

JT Jag posted:

If there are, we're going to get completely normal human Jones amongst monkeys (or dinosaurs), and that would just be preposterous.
creation, that's possible too.

Or dino-Jones. Can't wait to see what :geno: looks like on a giant turkey.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Bonster posted:

Her hairstyle has changed with each era.

I don't think the length of it hasn't changed much, but yeah the styling has.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
It is so bonkers to have a character go from this to tackling an aurochs. Awesome.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh, look, it's Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo Jones.

(reference)

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Bongo Bill posted:

Unlike the medieval and early-modern pages, Jones seems to be an accepted part of the community here rather than a feared outsider, or at least she's feared less than she's needed. However, I note that she is still not impressed by anything.

Fecha posted:

I suppose a survival-based community would be more likely to appreciate her buffalo-catching technique than fear it.

Yeah I'm guessing they think Jones is really loving rad to have around.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm guessing there'll be a cop-out non answer followed up by the always-witty quip of "Mystery solved." in the comments.

Seeing as to how we're learning about Jones and who (and what) she is, I doubt it. It may remain a mystery to Annie but not to the readers.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

mort MORT MORT

(Or does that not count?)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Zemyla posted:

mort MORT MORT

(Or does that not count?)

Mort fun time isn't so much predictable as it is eternal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Next update is gonna be Jonesy staring down a big, black rectangular prism.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Next update is gonna be Jonesy staring down a big, black rectangular prism.

After climbing down from the hatch on the top.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Lord of Laughton posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the thread, so forgive me if this has already been discussed, but after reading the update today, I'm pretty convinced that Jones is a Norse God of some sort, whether she knows it or not. We know the existence of these gods is a thing, since Brinnie is a thing.

Ezzer posted:

It gets said like once every page but Jones isn't based on existing mythology, guys.

Elysiume posted:

Well it's explicitly not a reference to any existing mythology, take from that what you will. I doubt making her based on Odin's eye and having a name of The Wandering Eye qualifies as "not a reference."

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
Still better than 500 more posts of "Okay, okay, she's not a robot, what if she's an android?"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Still better than 500 more posts of "Okay, okay, she's not a robot, what if she's an android?"

Plus the inevitable ensuing :eng101: gynoid! :eng101:

(Also, what if she's a golem/replicant/construct/clank/cyborg/synthoid/decepticon???)

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

What if she's a boredom elemental?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

What if she's a boredom elemental?

That explains the face Jimmy-Jims is making during the always there for you comment.

Then he starts killing dragons and shadows and tree people and rogue robots and realizes a little boredom would be nice :3

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
She's obviously an alien who was sent to Earth to find out what love is. As you can imagine, she's still working on that.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
That's the face of someone counting down the centuries until soap gets invented.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Well, I don't see any elephant bones, but she's totally rockin' the hyena skins :haw:

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Since I'm assuming this whole "Jones is as old as people" we're going to run into a problem with the fact that she's white.

There were no white people 50,000 years ago. White skin is a genetic mutation that cropped up after Africans migrated to the lower-sunlight European continent, somewhere between 20-50 thousand years ago. The lower melanin in skin was advantageous for vitamin D production, hence it became widespread.

If Tom gets to "she's older than 50,000 years" he's also going to need an explanation as to why she's pale and blonde.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Since I'm assuming this whole "Jones is as old as people" we're going to run into a problem with the fact that she's white.

There were no white people 50,000 years ago. White skin is a genetic mutation that cropped up after Africans migrated to the lower-sunlight European continent, somewhere between 20-50 thousand years ago. The lower melanin in skin was advantageous for vitamin D production, hence it became widespread.

If Tom gets to "she's older than 50,000 years" he's also going to need an explanation as to why she's pale and blonde.

She's not a robot human.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
But she clearly looks like a human. Whatever her species is, she blends in with human culture and lives among humans.

If she's older than white people, why wouldn't she look like the people did before there were white people, instead of what would have been something radically different that completely stood out?

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

But she clearly looks like a human. Whatever her species is, she blends in with human culture and lives among humans.

If she's older than white people, why wouldn't she look like the people did before there were white people, instead of what would have been something radically different that completely stood out?

Has anyone described Jones' appearance to anyone in the comic? Perhaps she is perceived differently by others and the way we see her is how we perceive her.

Or maybe she's the reason for the genetic mutation.

Or maybe, just maybe...

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
Jones is actually a shark, pass it on.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
A million and more eyes look upon her who is Jones, and for each person the vision differs.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dodgeball posted:

Has anyone described Jones' appearance to anyone in the comic? Perhaps she is perceived differently by others and the way we see her is how we perceive her.

Or maybe she's the reason for the genetic mutation.

Or maybe, just maybe...

Well, we've got another day or two before an update, so why not :spergin: about it?

If I'm not mistaken, the process that causes melanin to be produced is inherently damaging to the skin, correct? Given that we've seen that Jones can't be damaged at all, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that she can't tan either.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Melanin is produced in response to UV exposure, so sorta? However, with that reasoning, she should probably be albino, rather than just caucasian.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Excess melanin production is stimulated in response UV exposure, but there's a natural baseline level. You don't exactly need to put African babies in the sun to ripen them and turn them dark.

Gnome de plume posted:

That's the face of someone counting down the centuries until soap gets invented.

Whilst I know what you really meant, suddenly I have the mental image of Jones being addicted to soap operas. Don't gently caress with her whilst she's staring expressionlessly at Eastenders or Days of Our Lives.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

You got your causality backwards, Yakub had to base his blueprints off something after all...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
And Japanese people do not have green, blue, purple, or pink hair, and yet they imagine characters with such unnatural colors all the time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Chapter is gonna end with Annie going "...Really?" and Jones going "Nah, just kidding, I'm a robot"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

QuantaStarFire posted:

She's obviously an alien who was sent to Earth to find out what love is. As you can imagine, she's still working on that.

She thought she had found it in the mid-80s when she first heard Foreigner, but that was just a red herring.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm going to have to second the issues with Jones the eternal attractive white lady. Humans have been around for about 200 thousand years, but white people a quarter of that. This leads to 2 unappealing options.

1. Jones being the only Caucasian on earth for 150 thousand years. Problematic in a lot of ways.

2. Humanity/history only counts when white people show up. Hopefully too horrible to even really be an option.

Honestly, it seems like this is a case where the character design was done well before the backstory was actually developed. While neat, the two together cause some unfortunate implications.

This is assuming the whole "Jones is as old as humanity" thing stays true and they don't suddenly introduce her actual origin in the next panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Maybe being white isn't a mutation. Maybe Jones was the first white person, and all white people share her as a common ancestor.