Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

With the skaters moving as fast as they do, a little extra depth of field is helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006
f/2.8 with individuals is great, but they are fast moving, needed around 1/400 to take off the motion blur, and I was close to minimum focus distance (2.5m) probably around 4m at closest so f/4 was needed to resolve enough in sharp focus.

panning was hard enough to stay on a face for example, the tendency is to lead the shot resulting on focusing off the subject.

I do use separate focus and shooting controls, easier just to hold focus down constantly, then shoot off three to 5 shots and choose the best one.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Pukestain Pal posted:

Careful with granting them a license. Typically editorial images are Rights Managed. So you need to keep very clear records on the usage and terms of the license for each image.

I'm treating it like an assignment, so I'm giving him first pick to the photos from the event. Rights Managed means uploading to the AP? I'm not sure what the normal workflow is with images after the event.

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
Heyo!

Was freezing my butt for three hours and all I got was these photos and 2:3 loss.

Processed these really fast so the colors aint the best.

10 seconds into the game, the lights went out.

IMG_0684 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0716 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0848 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0857 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0731 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0759 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0760 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0761 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_0775 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

IMG_9322 by Eeek5127, on Flickr

Sucks when your best shot of the day is called back for a flag. Dammit.

I shot all day with a 16-35, 24-70 and a 70-200. That was fun.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Eeek posted:

needs to have the exposure bumped up.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Couple from this weekend...(sorry about the watermarks, but it has to be done)

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I am going to tell you the same thing I tell all of my Presswire friends- you need to transmit and crop at least one photo a week with the logo as an awesome mustache.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Eeek posted:

I am going to tell you the same thing I tell all of my Presswire friends- you need to transmit and crop at least one photo a week with the logo as an awesome mustache.

Haha, that's a brilliant idea!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bonus points for getting each "swoosh" image over a different person's face.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Eeek posted:

Nobody has to know :shh:

I hated when against the Vikings tons of places put up the picture of Jared Allen "sacking" Gabbert when he was half a second offside. Made #75 look bad :(

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Speaking of Mr. Monroe- I got this. He totally made the "I'm going to kill you" face right after I got it.

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

I'm never going to sleep again.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
:smugdog:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Just in time for hockey, I hvae a chance to get a 150mm f/2.0 oh my god yes :getin:

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Shot my first basketball of the season last night... and I was very rusty. :ohdear:

^ Stupid cheerleader and her stupid pom pom

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
Some shots from tonights action between Vålerenga and Lillestrøm:

Vålerenga Fotball - Lillestrøm Sportsklubb 11.11.2012 by azathosk, on Flickr

....and there was actually some football played as well:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Roller Derby! or Wow a few of these shots actually ended up in focus!

The Minnesota RollerGirls had a bout last night, the 2nd one this season I went and took some pictures at. I really need to spend some money on a better lens for it, but I still get some nice shots I think.

Minnesota RollerGirls - Harvest of Hurt by kdrudy, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

azathosk posted:

Some shots from tonights action between Vålerenga and Lillestrøm:

Holy poo poo :stare:

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo :stare:

We were allowed to use 10 flares and 5 so-called "blinkers" (strobe-ish lights). As you can see, we found out out that ten wasn't many enough...

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
My 5 year old son plays football and it makes for some awesome photos.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
I want that helmet.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah those hats are pretty nuts.. do they wear them because a full size helmet would be too much weight for their neck?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yeah those hats are pretty nuts.. do they wear them because a full size helmet would be too much weight for their neck?

That and because at this age you're more worried about kids clunking heads than anything.

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

That and because at this age you're more worried about kids clunking heads than anything.

It's flag football, so they're technically not supposed to be running into each other too much... but they do fall all over the place. Come to think of it, why DON'T we have real helmets?!

Here's my son (in shorts) blocking another kid. Mind you, my son is on defense and should be going for the ball. He still doesn't get the whole "offense/defense" concept.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh my God that's adorable :3:

He's gonna block the poo poo out of that kid and doesn't care about anything else

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin had a short interview with old school SI photographer Neil Leifer (the guy who got that knockout photo of Ali, and Vince Lombardi being carried off the field by his team) about some of his favorite shots. It's a very cool read.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a dive bar near me that has an artist's recreation of his photo of Butkus.. it's a crappy oil painting, and looks as terrible as you might imagine. All the good qualities of the photo (the scowl, the Butkus personality) got obliterated so all that's left is what looks like a green bay packer giving a chicago bear a blow job.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
If I can take a moment to brag shamelessly, I was honored and even more shocked to win a CPOY Award of Excellence this year! It was from the color run I shot over the summer: http://cpoy.org/index.php?s=WinningImages&c=248#4.0

I was super excited when I found that out. :3: I almost didn't even bother submitting anything because I just knew I had no chance of winning anything. Welp!

Anyway, I flew to Michigan to shoot some volleyball this weekend, so here's some of that:

e: Blog post with more of the gallery: http://ryanmkelly.com/blog/ballin-in-holland/11/18/2012

BobTheCow fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 19, 2012

Kerrow
Mar 18, 2011

ZERO-G HERO
^^ grats

last night's game of my local team.

IMG_1000 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_1021 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_1045 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_1086 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_1111 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_1125 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_1131 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

IMG_1140 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

And after hard fought win, its time to celebrate...

IMG_1214 by Kerrigan11, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Couple from this weekend...

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Tried a panning shot on film at the last race.

11162012_01 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008
Championship weekend for kids football:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Some more roller derby in town this weekend, the North Star Roller Girls this time.

North Star Roller Girls - Lei'd out on the Track by kdrudy, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

I love pans of bikers and runners.. the way the moving bits blur work really well, which doesn't really happen for automotive shots (except the rims). Makes for a lot more impact.

Badically, do more of these.

Fakedit - smartphone typo, leaving it in because it's awesome.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

BobTheCow posted:

If I can take a moment to brag shamelessly, I was honored and even more shocked to win a CPOY Award of Excellence this year! It was from the color run I shot over the summer: http://cpoy.org/index.php?s=WinningImages&c=248#4.0

I was super excited when I found that out. :3: I almost didn't even bother submitting anything because I just knew I had no chance of winning anything. Welp!

Congrats! The colors in the photo you caught is super cool. Excellent volleyball photos too, I also find that getting up top to shoot volleyball is a way better vantage point.

Also, if anyone goes through the link, the first photo of the diver in the pool is amazing. Wow.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

xzzy posted:

I love pans of bikers and runners.. the way the moving bits blur work really well, which doesn't really happen for automotive shots (except the rims). Makes for a lot more impact.

Badically, do more of these.

Fakedit - smartphone typo, leaving it in because it's awesome.

Last race of the season is going to be December 1st... gonna get badical (and cold) as heck.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Miko posted:

Congrats! The colors in the photo you caught is super cool. Excellent volleyball photos too, I also find that getting up top to shoot volleyball is a way better vantage point.

Also, if anyone goes through the link, the first photo of the diver in the pool is amazing. Wow.

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that when I dropped the link in but forgot. That first place winner is totally deserving, definitely one of the coolest sports feature I've ever seen, you guys should all go look at it.

That volleyball was interesting, it was an arena I'd never been in before, and on the second day I noticed somebody walking around catwalks up top, so I finagled my way up there for a couple sets. I wish I had thought to bring remote gear with me to set something up for longer.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This rules :kiddo:

dowdy_pants
Aug 18, 2008

Spime Wrangler posted:

This is extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Spime Wrangler posted:

Please do this more often.

This one is just adorable. Love it!

I got to shoot the norwegian cup final (IL Hødd - Tromsø IL) this weekend:
Hødd-fans (Klock is a player at Hødd)

Hødd won the cup and gets to meet the prime minister and the king of Norway.