Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
When did "Hanzo Steel" as a joking statement about Katanas become popular on these forums? I realize it's from Kill Bill originally, but when and why did people on these forums start saying it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I think it's parodying the people who poo poo themselves over getting katanas, and how they think they're simply the perfect weapon. See this guy as an example.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~
I'm...yeah, I'm just a grump.
:mitt:

What spawned this? I absolutely love it, especially how the design makes him look like an old school cell phone.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

What spawned this? I absolutely love it, especially how the design makes him look like an old school cell phone.

For he is stiff and robotic, you see.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Maremidon posted:

When did "Hanzo Steel" as a joking statement about Katanas become popular on these forums? I realize it's from Kill Bill originally, but when and why did people on these forums start saying it?

It's been around for about 2 years I think. I don't think it came from a particular source, people just got sick of nerds sperging out over their THOUSAND TIMES FOLDED HANZO STEEL and it became a mockery thing.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

Moist von Lipwig posted:

It's been around for about 2 years I think. I don't think it came from a particular source, people just got sick of nerds sperging out over their THOUSAND TIMES FOLDED HANZO STEEL and it became a mockery thing.

I thought the technique for this was lost a long time ago :psyduck:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

UmbreonMessiah posted:

Some cartoonist caricatured Mitt with that image, the Political Cartoons thread fell in love with it and bought the emoticon.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

UmbreonMessiah posted:

I thought the technique for this was lost a long time ago :psyduck:
I believe you're thinking of the technique for making Damascus Steel. As far as I know people are still making katanas the traditional way in Japan right now.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Also keep in mind that said nerds often purchase "authentic" weapons that supposedly are that old for vastly inflated prices.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I think he's been surpassed by one of those folks who posted in FYAD once and was given an unending string of 6 hour probations by the IKs.

This is a thing?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yup.

The admins eventually deleted the post so he wouldn't be probated for it anymore.

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

Zereth posted:

I believe you're thinking of the technique for making Damascus Steel. As far as I know people are still making katanas the traditional way in Japan right now.

Ayup. That would be me being silly :blush:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

fivre posted:

This is a thing?

Yup. User name was slowfuse to start. It then got changed to something like DO NOT POST ANYMORE.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

cobalt impurity posted:

For he is stiff and robotic, you see.

I always imagine him saying it in the (old) Cylon voice :psylon:

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

Farecoal posted:

I always imagine him saying it in the (old) Cylon voice :psylon:

:awesomelon: Our military has less battleships than it did in 1917. :awesomelon:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

UmbreonMessiah posted:

:awesomelon: Our military has less battleships than it did in 1917. :awesomelon:

But see, I would elect a centurion over Mitt.

Gold Cylon 2012. The foreign policy would be amazing and megalaser-based.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:
I'll write in a vote for Golden Centurion. Nader isn't running this year, so megalaser policy sounds as good as any 3rd party candidate.

UmbreonMessiah posted:

A sad fact. Never again will entire regiments surrender to unarmed UAVs :911:

Buh
May 17, 2008

senrath posted:

Yup. User name was slowfuse to start. It then got changed to something like DO NOT POST ANYMORE.

Aw man, I never noticed that slowfuse/Never Post Again had disappeared. Guess he finally gave up. The effort on both sides was so endearing - both the Idiot Kings making sure to refresh his probation every six hours, and slowfuse posting without fail every time they forgot for an hour.

My favourite was the time when an idiot king spent several days probating him with single-letter probations, so that it would spell out SLOWFUSE. They got as far as the 'O' (working backwards) before angerbot sniped the next probation to make it COWFUSE.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been racking my brains, but can't seem to figure out what :yotj: is supposed to be.

I know YOTJ means Year Of The Job, but what is the smiley supposed to look like?

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
Isn't it a can of bawls?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
A bottle of, but yes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's a pretty lovely miniature bottle of bawls. The smiley doesn't really make any sense, either.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The smiley doesn't really make any sense, either.

I agree, but this complaint is hardly relevant. Have you seen this thread? :razz:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
When did :stonk: show up? I swear I haven't seen it before this week, but that could be because I'm oblivious.

I've used :stare: and :gonk: before, but this combines them into one perfect expression.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

hyperhazard posted:

When did :stonk: show up? I swear I haven't seen it before this week, but that could be because I'm oblivious.
I think I first saw it like two weeks ago or so?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I think it's been like a month at least. Unless I'm completely losing my sense of time.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

hellopticor posted:

I think I first saw it like two weeks ago or so?
A search for :stonk: shows it in use at least back in March.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Cruseydr posted:

A search for :stonk: shows it in use at least back in March.

It's been around for about as long as I have, since I remember seeing it the first time I looked at the smilies list and thinking about how great of an emoticon it is. :stonk:

UmbreonMessiah
Nov 1, 2011

~Hey, I'm grump!~

RyokoTK posted:

It's been around for about as long as I have, since I remember seeing it the first time I looked at the smilies list and thinking about how great of an emoticon it is. :stonk:

It gets exceptional use in the mock thread whenever the people there stumble upon something that horrifies them to an extreme extent.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
Fairly certain :stonk: was bought by SAS during the initial phases of the Jerry Sandusky case, which was over a year ago.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

SporkOfTruth posted:

Fairly certain :stonk: was bought by SAS during the initial phases of the Jerry Sandusky case, which was over a year ago.

Yeah I've seen :stonk: around TFF and SAS for what feels like a year. It's not new.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

KozmoNaut posted:

That's a pretty lovely miniature bottle of bawls. The smiley doesn't really make any sense, either.

It's used in the IT threads because IT guys drink a lot of energy drinks? So when you are working a terrible job and you get good news you celebrate by taking a slug of bawls instead of :toot:

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Given that the running joke in the IT threads is about alcohol, it's much more likely that that's a blue booze bottle, possibly Skyy or something.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cyberia posted:

It's used in the IT threads because IT guys drink a lot of energy drinks? So when you are working a terrible job and you get good news you celebrate by taking a slug of bawls instead of :toot:

Which obviously makes a musical toot :confused:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Probably worth just looking back through this thread, I think we've covered the Bawls one a couple times. IIRC SH/SC goons bought it.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

SporkOfTruth posted:

I thought :stonk: came from YOSPOS. I remember someone asking in a thread what it should be called (because they were going to buy it).

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

TheModernAmerican posted:

One that is pretty simple, but I know the origin of is :stonk:. It's :gonk: and :stare: put together.

It came from a TFF N/V thread where everyone was talking about last season's Bears/Seahawks game where Bears wide receiver Johnny Knox was folded in half :nms: unless you want to see a man's shoulder blade touch his butt.

I don't know who bought it, but a Dolphins fan made it (I think).

"last season" is December 2011, so it's almost a year old.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

fork bomb posted:

I thought :stonk: came from YOSPOS. I remember someone asking in a thread what it should be called (because they were going to buy it).
That conversation definitely happened, yes.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Suitaru posted:

Some cartoonist caricatured Mitt with that image, the Political Cartoons thread fell in love with it and bought the emoticon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Splizwarf posted:

Probably worth just looking back through this thread, I think we've covered the Bawls one a couple times. IIRC SH/SC goons bought it.

"Year of the Job" was one of the running themes of the "A ticket came in . . . " thread two years ago, when several long-suffering IT goons quit their soul-crushing low-pay jobs for soul-crushing medium-pay jobs; the notable exception being Dick Trauma, who somehow managed to get hired at Shangri-la.

Given the amount of alcohol the average IT worker consumes, a LOT, it's reasonable to assume :yotj: is downing a fifth of Skyy vodka.

Edit: The music note is just leftover from the original :toot:

plainswalker75 has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Oct 30, 2012