Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
I've been listening to Hotline Miami as well. Otherwise its Wilco, The Black Keys, Arcade Fire, or something random like Kanye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Cheers folks...:)

I have a somewhat eclectic taste in music but I've found I work best with some ska or reggae on. It's hard for me to stay grumpy or overly stressed if I've got something like Streetlight Manifesto, BtMI! or The Skints playing...

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Arcade fire, daft punk, deadmau5 or a radio on spotify

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Lately? An embarrassing amount of Marina and the Diamonds. Usually its either Metric, The Naked and Famous, The Kills, or Tegan and Sara. Depends on how awake I need to feel I suppose.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
All Pink Floyd, all the time.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Game soundtracks, and lately, a lot of chiptunes and electronica. Frozen Synapse Soundtrack is great to code to, as is Dustforce, Bittrip, Scott Pilgrim / Anamanaguchi, etc.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
That new Godspeed You! Black Emperor album, Gil Scott-Heron and Oldominion.

rayk
May 19, 2009

pirate cat │・ □ ・│ノ
Lots and lots of Lone, instrumental hiphop like Bugseed/DJ Spinna etc. Plus what ever latest electronica mixtape gets put up on soundcloud.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Day to day is 90% EDM podcasts (Above and Beyond/Dada Life/Gareth Emery/Morgan Page/ASoT/Tiesto) and lots of airy indie stuff with female vocals (The xx/Metric/Friendly Fires/Phantogram/Austra/Lykke Li/Emily Haines/etc). Some things deserve special occasion music though: art assignment invariably ends up on Viking metal or angry stuff like the Murder City Devils, and treasure tables are almost always Sinatra and Cash. I also have a rap playlist for when I need a little juice in the system.

Hmm, I listen to more music than I thought. I guess living with your nose in Excel all day will do that to you.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just recently started to listen to podcasts. Penn's Sunday school on Mondays and Adama Carolla's the rest of the week, but that one is very hit or miss for me.

For music I usually I have the trip-hop on or some indy band that I found on lastFM.

Edit: Grammar.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Oct 30, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
About 2-3 hours of QI a day recently. Worked my way from series A and now I'm on to series H. Current series is J and I'm running out of Stephen Fry goodness. :ohdear:

Here's a huge playlist if anybody wants in on this delightfully English eccentricity.

Warning: QI siren may drive workmates mad :v:

If I'm feeling like listening to some economics and politics I'll give Marxist Economist R. D. Wolff a listen

http://www.rdwolff.com/articles/audio

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Oct 30, 2012

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Happy Birthday FishBus.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Shalinor posted:

Game soundtracks, and lately, a lot of chiptunes and electronica. Frozen Synapse Soundtrack is great to code to, as is Dustforce, Bittrip, Scott Pilgrim / Anamanaguchi, etc.

I get this all the time, i can't resist game soundtracks. Jeremy Seoule produces some of the most timeless stuff (to me) including neverwinter nights, total annihilation and skyrim just to name a few. Sometimes I'll listen to the sims 2/3 discography because :3

Even though I do and have listened to Anamanaguchi in the past, sometimes i think they're just noise when I'm listening and it's hard to not feel a bit stressed by that sort of aural input!

e: ^ Thanks Monster !

Zagrod
Jun 26, 2005

fiyah fiyah fiyah
Clapping Larry
Game soundtracks all the way. Uplink's soundtrack is absolutely amazing when you're coding late at night.

Also, happy birthday Fishbus! Thanks for all the cp_steel memories :)

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Shalinor posted:

Frozen Synapse :respek:

Frozen Synapse, InMomentum, Neotokyo, Forza 4 have been on loop for the past few weeks, with some other games sprinkled in-between.

I stopped listening to the Rhythm Heaven soundtracks because that stuff does the opposite of helping me concentrate :shobon:

Star Warrior X
Jul 14, 2004

I realize I'm about a page worth of music selections late, but I wanted to hop on the bandwagon (pun!) and announce my new game. It's an MMO!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Any time I'm writing briefs, C&D letters, or anything to do with an adversarial action, my playlist is typically cycling through NOFX, Bad Religion, The Ataris, etc.

For contracts, I'll typically do Rolling Stones, Skynyrd, Stevie Ray, and such.

For other administrative stuff it's usually hip-hop or streams from BBC Radio One.

BouncyCastle
Jul 17, 2011
Proud to announce that the game I've been working on is finally released today! :neckbeard:

(It's Assassin's Creed 3)

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Then where the heck is the PC version >:I

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Ska. All ska all the time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So mild freakout right now in the office about us buying Lucasfilm. Crazy stuff.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

mutata posted:

So mild freakout right now in the office about us buying Lucasfilm. Crazy stuff.

I imagine it'll get treated like marvel.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

mutata posted:

It is pretty crazy, to be honest.

Now give me a movie adaptation of The Dig!

Heti
May 22, 2007

I like Video Games
I'm still trying to break in to the game industry. I just graduated college and moved to a more tech oriented city. Sent out tons of applications and now I just have to wait and see if I get any bites while still looking constantly :I

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Good luck! I was in a similar situation last year, but I was really lucky in that I managed to land a programming job right out of college. What position are you going for? I might write up a short blob about My Journey, though I'm not sure if it'd help or not.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

When I'm working on repetitive stuff, it's all podcasts, usually Comedy Bang Bang, Doug Loves Movies, Nerdist, or Tony Kornheiser's radio show. When I have to really concentrate, though, it's my entire collection on shuffle. The variety keeps me from getting in ruts.

Unrelated thought: does touching a Cintiq make you forget how asset control works? That's my best theory so far.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Tricky Ed posted:

Unrelated thought: does touching a Cintiq make you forget how asset control works? That's my best theory so far.
Cintiqs are like the promised land for art peripherals so probably, yeah :I

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
They're really awesome. :I

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Are any of you on The Chaos Engine? This thread is slightly NWS and by page 2 very :stare:

http://www.thechaosengine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64782

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

I try not to be. It is a terrible place.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

concerned mom posted:

Are any of you on The Chaos Engine? This thread is slightly NWS and by page 2 very :stare:

http://www.thechaosengine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64782

I'm not, is it worth joining their super-special-club? I've heard mixed opinions about the place but the idea seems sound.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I don't really post or read it much, but it's invite only so I got a friend to get me in. It's probably worth having an account as you can get the inside scoop on companies and stuff.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

floofyscorp posted:

I'm not, is it worth joining their super-special-club? I've heard mixed opinions about the place but the idea seems sound.
Imagine a group of around 20 horribly jaded unfunny veteran (used not in a positive "lots of experience" kind of way, but "have been around a long time and think they know it all") developers endlessly circling around the same topics and you have Chaos Engine. The signal/noise ratio is insanely low, and any interesting or new viewpoints are quickly shouted down by the regulars trying to prove a point or something.

I've never had such a large ignore list on a forum before, and I only keep my account alive because it's handy to post job openings there in the hope that some of the lurkers pick up on it.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

concerned mom posted:

I don't really post or read it much, but it's invite only so I got a friend to get me in. It's probably worth having an account as you can get the inside scoop on companies and stuff.
Getting an account is basically impossible, unless you know someone already in. I applied 2 years ago, back when I was at NetDevil, and nada.

... or at least I assume that's how it works. It could also be that they're just a jaded community with no real interest in expanding.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

FreakyZoid posted:

Imagine a group of around 20 horribly jaded unfunny veteran (used not in a positive "lots of experience" kind of way, but "have been around a long time and think they know it all") developers endlessly circling around the same topics and you have Chaos Engine. The signal/noise ratio is insanely low, and any interesting or new viewpoints are quickly shouted down by the regulars trying to prove a point or something.
Not posting in the design forum and putting everyone you disagree with on ignore isn't a formula for improving the signal/noise ratio. Outside of programming, there's a serious lack of participation in anything other than general news or bullshit topics, so I'm not sure how you expect anything other than noise.

I've never seen the regulars shout down "interesting or new" viewpoints or ideas, ever*. But if you've got something new and interesting, you had better be prepared to defend it because "lots of experience" means highly developed bullshit detectors. The regulars have a pretty healthy level of disagreement between them that rarely devolves into anything personal or even bleeds into other topics, so it's not that they think they know it all, they're just aggressive and have a lot of experience to back them up.

Otherwise, I'm sorry we're too jaded and unfunny for you.

*with respect to gamedev topics.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Edit: Wrong thread.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 31, 2012

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

You call it a highly developed bullshit detector, I call it posting like a shouty oval office. Tomato / tomato. I'll vouch for anyone who wants to join though, you might get more out of it than I ever did.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

floofyscorp posted:

...because another exclusive club is just what the game industry needs?

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

Adraeus posted:

...because another exclusive club is just what the game industry needs?
Being closed to non-industry folks, no press allowed, no management allowed, and also semi-anonymous means that people are a lot more comfortable at the edge of their NDAs. Posting any info or content outside of TCE is also a pretty big violation of the rules, and only has happened once to my knowledge.

People can speak their mind in that environment, within reason, and not have to worry about it ending up on Kotaku out of context, getting them fired. Still, I've never seen anyone break an NDA or actually divulge anything that could legitimately be a trade secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Except that time people got fired from Codemasters or wherever it was for bad mouthing the company and being ratted out by another user. "No management" is vague and they don't enforce it, so there are all levels of management there. Similarly accounts don't get switched off when people leave the industry. I like the idea of an "industry only" forum, though.