Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There is a goon with an avatar of Arino playing the Virtual Boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011
Man, First Samurai just provides more evidence for my theory that EU developed games are mostly just piles of junk shoved together with "craaaaazzzzy" graphical effects.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

So what do the staff do when they're not shooting challenges?

Play famicom board games based on Beat Takeshi, of course.

I have that myself but I find the game mostly bewildering because my kanji comprehension sucks. :sigh:

Mister Chief posted:

There is a goon with an avatar of Arino playing the Virtual Boy.

Yes, it's zenintruder.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Arino is playing (or pretending to play) a Virtual Boy for a couple of seconds in one of the season openers. I doubt that there will be a challenge but maybe a segment using it sometime in the future is possible. A revival of Aces of Hardware or something like that...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

serialrobinson posted:

Man, First Samurai just provides more evidence for my theory that EU developed games are mostly just piles of junk shoved together with "craaaaazzzzy" graphical effects.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true nowadays but in the C64/Amiga era that was definitely the case - lots of flashy tech demos masquerading as games but few titles that were actually fun.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

Arino is playing (or pretending to play) a Virtual Boy for a couple of seconds in one of the season openers. I doubt that there will be a challenge but maybe a segment using it sometime in the future is possible. A revival of Aces of Hardware or something like that...

Everytime I play my Virtualboy I get a migraine. Also, it has a terrible name.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FireCar posted:

And ever since I heard Ki-beee~ sung to the Sega startup sound, I haven't been able to unhear it. A delight and a treat.

What episode was this? :3:

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Mayor McCheese posted:

Every time I think of that game it reminds me of Lemmings thanks to their homage level (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUfGpvVsIe0). Shadow of the Beast was such a purty game.

I really hope they do that just so they can go onto the second game, which is notable for having a number of single-chance puzzles; if you screw up (and it's not always obvious that you have), it's resetting time!

Although that might be too cruel...

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

What episode was this? :3:
The Lemmings 24-hour clip show. The singalong segment starts at 17:35 and is pretty awesome even apart from the "Ki~be~!" earworm.

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.
My personal favorite "Sing whatever the hell you want" is from the Lemmings episode (the regular episode, not 24hr) - Dragon Quest inn theme. Due to the theme's presence within, it has forced me to sing "Sergio Echigo" multiple times during games of Fortune Street much to the confusion of my opponents. (Spoilered for the benefit of those who have yet to watch the episode, even though it's an old release)

Shingen fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 30, 2012

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I imagine a virtua boy episode or segment wouldn't be very easy to film, probably worse than the game gear one they did for Aces of Hardward if it's even possible. The effects wouldn't work and you'd have to jam the camera right into the eyepiece or something.

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true nowadays but in the C64/Amiga era that was definitely the case - lots of flashy tech demos masquerading as games but few titles that were actually fun.
Speaking of old c64/amiga games that got away with murder thanks to some slick presentation, I really wish they'd ported Rick Dangerous to consoles for Arino to have a go at. That series was custom-designed to gently caress you over at every turn, it's pretty much a deathtrap memory test from the opening screen on. Would've made for a great episode.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

farfromsleep posted:

Speaking of old c64/amiga games that got away with murder thanks to some slick presentation, I really wish they'd ported Rick Dangerous to consoles for Arino to have a go at. That series was custom-designed to gently caress you over at every turn, it's pretty much a deathtrap memory test from the opening screen on. Would've made for a great episode.

You've got weird ideas about entertainment.

lets be best friends okay
Jun 1, 2000

okay

Obeast posted:

I never thought of it until now, but I would love to see Arino challenge one of them since their notorious for being hard (I dunno if the Japanese versions are any easier). If not, then at least the really strange Famicom Star Wars game made by Namco that never officially left Japan (you can buy a reproduction cart with the translated version, not that it makes the game any less crazy).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFnueE9yBcA

Wow, I had never heard of this until now. As a game it looks pretty impressive, the cutscenes look great for NES/Famicom, and you have a whole bunch of different force powers. On the other hand, you have bosses like Giant Scorpion pretending to be Darth Vader.

It is like the Paris-Dakar rally of licensed games.

lets be best friends okay fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 30, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Talk of Virtual Boy on here always reminds me of 24 hour Lemmings. They had a bunch of comedy teams do game-related routines for the audience in the theater, and one of them was a bit about Virtual Boy. I chose not to translate that segment for the 24H compilation because it's pretty long (around 15 minutes) and disrupted the flow of clips, especially since it's not GCCX-related. Also I find it tough to translate Japanese stand-up routines because sometimes the humour is simply lost... but if there is interest in it, I can try?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Don't make me actually have to beg you to translate manzai for us.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Daikoku posted:

Wow, I had never heard of this until now. As a game it looks pretty impressive, the cutscenes look great for NES/Famicom, and you have a whole bunch of different force powers. On the other hand, you have bosses like Giant Scorpion pretending to be Darth Vader.

It's way weirder than Paris Dakar Rally. It's kind of like Mega Man, but it feels exactly like Alex Kidd.

Here's the Chrontendo segment that covers it.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Oct 30, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

zari-gani posted:

Also I find it tough to translate Japanese stand-up routines because sometimes the humour is simply lost... but if there is interest in it, I can try?

Good manzai is never lost!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Obeast posted:

I never thought of it until now, but I would love to see Arino challenge one of them since their notorious for being hard (I dunno if the Japanese versions are any easier). If not, then at least the really strange Famicom Star Wars game made by Namco that never officially left Japan (you can buy a reproduction cart with the translated version, not that it makes the game any less crazy).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFnueE9yBcA

It's like they didn't even watch the movie!

The Angry Video Game Nerd covers the Japanese Star Wars game as well. In fact, I have to say, in the few games where there is overlap, Arino is much more entertaining than the AVGN, since he never gets really angry.

Also, watching him play Milon's Secret Castle really helps you see that the game wasn't so bad, it just had a lot of design decisions that didn't make sense.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The more even tangentially related content out there in English the better if possible.

Hell I had a dream the other night that Abe rode in on a motorcycle to compete on the New Iron Chef---this is what these release deluges do to me, warp even my dreams!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Actually, I think we could release a volume 2 compilation of 24H Lemmings clip. Stuff we didn't include in our release.

On top of the comedy stage show there's video messages for Arino, KiBest Bout Top 10 (Kibe's countdown of his favourite challenges), ABest Bout (Abe presents a deleted scene from Yuuyu's Quiz de Go Go), and... Sakai's video game eraser collection? It would probably be another hour of stuff, but the biggest challenge is putting all those clips together because they're dispersed throughout the entire 24H challenge. They're not as exciting as Inoue's Challenge or Tama-Gay but at least then we won't have a single extra segment untranslated.

It's all up to Random Stranger, who puts these clips together!

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Hell I had a dream the other night that Abe rode in on a motorcycle to compete on the New Iron Chef

This sounds like something someone would fantasize about.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I just discovered that my online Japanese-English dictionary of choice translates Dragon Quest spells to their localized English versions. :stare:

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 30, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

zari-gani posted:

I just discovered that my online Japanese-English dictionary of choice translates Dragon Quest spells to their localized English versions. :stare:

That is awesome, and the way it should be. Dragon Warrior for life!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

zari-gani posted:

Haha, I think my dictionary includes yours in its aggregate results. I just tried it on mine and you're right.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Looks like it's all thanks to the Cross Language 37-Field Technical Dictionary. A wonderful surprise, akin to Google Maps telling you to take a canoe (or whatever it was) from the east coast of the U.S. to England...but nerdier, somehow.

orochi
Oct 9, 2012

/usr/bin/orochi

Stanos posted:

I imagine a virtua boy episode or segment wouldn't be very easy to film, probably worse than the game gear one they did for Aces of Hardward if it's even possible. The effects wouldn't work and you'd have to jam the camera right into the eyepiece or something.

They could probably get someone to mod them a video out for the virtual boy. I'm guessing it would be pretty uncomfortable to try and play that thing for long hours though.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

orochi posted:

They could probably get someone to mod them a video out for the virtual boy.

They seem averse to modding in general. I mean, they've gone how many seasons recording composite video off ancient Famicoms? I'm sure at least three people in this thread would hook them up with some gadget that plays original cartridges and outputs crisp digital video, and one of them would do it for free. But it's probably part of the show's legal wrangling that they don't even get close to that sort of thing.

serialrobinson
Oct 29, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yeah, I mostly meant the 8/16 bit eras. A ton of the old games from that era that I have played are completely inscrutable/glorified tech demos with shoddy controls. Also, how anyone ever played games on the Spectrum without permanently damaging their eyesight is something I will never know.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah I imagine if they didn't jury-rig a Game Gear to do that they wouldn't do that for a Virtual Boy. Mike Matei from Cinemassacre has that done for his Game Gear review (complete with video explanation on how) but I don't see them doing that for GCCX. As mentioned before, I'm sure it's a licensing issue or something along those lines.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

On a side note this episode was amazing; from the awkwardly Americanized cover confusing Arino to the lack of invincibility frames and finally the last boss. I seriously cracked up at that.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It's kind of weird that they didn't use a picture of him smiling since that is what the comparison is based on.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

It's possible (but tricky & a bit pricy as parts become harder to find) to mod a pure RGB out onto a normal Famicom if you want clean video and pixels sharp enough to shave with.
I know it's probably just :effort: but I like to think they just want to preserve the original, fuzzy look that most people remember.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

FredMSloniker posted:

They seem averse to modding in general. I mean, they've gone how many seasons recording composite video off ancient Famicoms?

Composite video from a Famicom is modding. It's common for stores to sell them that way. And if you do it properly it can look pretty good.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Nill posted:

It's possible (but tricky & a bit pricy as parts become harder to find) to mod a pure RGB out onto a normal Famicom if you want clean video and pixels sharp enough to shave with.
I know it's probably just :effort: but I like to think they just want to preserve the original, fuzzy look that most people remember.

It can also make a lot of games look a lot better. It's maybe a bit more noticeable on the Genesis which has a slightly higher resolution and better palettes to work with, but a lot of older games used dithering + composite blur to fake higher-fidelity color, and RGB mods lose that.

The game I usually trot out right about now would be Ristar, whose graphics depend on a composite (or RF) blur being applied to them. (Is there a particular reason why image-shack's url keeps getting wordfiltered?)

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

MUTEkI posted:

It can also make a lot of games look a lot better. It's maybe a bit more noticeable on the Genesis which has a slightly higher resolution and better palettes to work with, but a lot of older games used dithering + composite blur to fake higher-fidelity color, and RGB mods lose that.

The game I usually trot out right about now would be Ristar, whose graphics depend on a composite (or RF) blur being applied to them. (Is there a particular reason why image-shack's url keeps getting wordfiltered?)

Image-shack apparently blocks hotlinks on SA so it wouldn't work anyway. Just use Imgur.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
All right, here we go. In case it's not obvious, one on the left is the one with the composite blur applied, the one on the right is (basically) what you'd get with raw RGB.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

MUTEkI posted:

All right, here we go. In case it's not obvious, one on the left is the one with the composite blur applied, the one on the right is (basically) what you'd get with raw RGB.

This reminds me of pictures I saw once that compared and contrasted how Atari 2600 games look on televisions versus when they are emulated. The color banding was a lot more subtle on the TV and it just genuinely looked a lot better.

Remember, game programmers expected that people were going to be playing these things on CRT monitors, so they developed the graphics to work with the flaws of the CRT, and when you take it out of that element, suddenly, you lose something.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I think the raw version is better? Maybe I'm just a pixel art nerd and like things to look clean. :(

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
They do both look good, but looking at the background in particular you can really see the intended advantages of the composite blur. The distant trees that are just alternating lines in rgb but appear fogged out a bit in composite especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Yeah, I always liked both for different reasons so I always waste five solid minutes going back and forth between having composite blur on or not when I emulate.