Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
If you play it make sure you never grind and you don't quest to areas that are clearly over your level (because you might level up too much there). You kind of have to intentionally keep your level down to keep a challenge. I did, and I had a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

XIII-2 is superior only in gameplay, the story is a boring mess and the characters are somehow even less likeable than XIII's. Serah is entirely one-dimensional.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Ross posted:

I have heard that FF13-2 is "good" yet it has an even lower score on Game Rankings than FF13. What should I make of this?

FF13 was highly anticipated, which grants bonus points on reviews. It wasn't very good though, so it broke the combo and the sequel just got the base score.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Okay, so I just finished FF3 for the DS and although I prefer the NES version and think the NES version is a better game, there are a few things about the DS version I like. First is the overall usefulness of the jobs. If I took the time to change classes and level them up a bit, jobs like the Scholar and Ranger were surprisingly effective. I also like how they didn't make the Ninja and Sage jobs the ultimate classes- the player has reason to use Knights and Devouts and Black Belts. That job sickness mechanic is a nuisance as it has been said before. And they made sure the final dungeon was just as painful as ever. The first time I played FF3ds back in 2006 or 2007, I got to the World Of Darkness, died, and didn't pick the game back up for years!

Secondly, the update to the music is near perfect. Now it's taken me three playthroughs of FF3 (and a watch-through of an FF3 Let's Play), but I love FF3's soundtrack- both the NES version and the DS remake. There aren't many tracks that don't leave an impression on me. The DS version fleshed out the soundtrack a great deal while keeping the tone of most songs. I especially liked "Doga and Une", "Town Of Amur", and "Invincible".

I don't think I'd play the DS version again, but I did enjoy my time with it. I really like FF3. It might be one of my favourite Final Fantasy games and that's kind of cool because it comes from an era of video games without the conveniences I've gotten used to in modern titles and it's a game I tried rather late in my gaming career.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Evil Fluffy posted:

A combat system like in Tales of Vesperia.

This is wrong.

It completely invalidates any other combat system. Plus what if someone doesn't want to play an action RPG?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ross posted:

I have heard that FF13-2 is "good" yet it has an even lower score on Game Rankings than FF13. What should I make of this?

I really liked 13 so I'll probably pick it up for all of $20 regardless.

It has a better battle system, even better music, and other added gameplay quirks. Pick it up.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

When I played Final Fantasy XII I remember unlocking things that seemed related to being a monk for Vaan, stuff like bare-handed fighting, and it was completely useless and I ended up having to stick with swords. Is the monk job in International Zodiac Job System worth anything?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Monk gets the most Battle Lores and HP Boosts of any job, as well as the Brawler augment to let its fist fight.

It also gets a fair amount of White Magic as well as able to equip Poles, which target magical defense so they can double as a pseudo "magic" job.

So absurd strength, the highest HP possible, can hit both defenses and heal? They're pretty good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
And poles can hit flying enemies. One of the best classes in IZJS I'd say.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Forgive the Kotaku link, but they've had an interview with Amano on his work.

http://kotaku.com/5952339/the-artist-behind-final-fantasy-just-wants-to-draw-cute-girls

[e]: Only for JRPG protagonists :v:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 24, 2012

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

http://kotaku.com/5952339/the-artist-behind-final-fantasy-just-wants-to-draw-cute-girls

quote:

Jovial, friendly, and full of energy even at age 60

Even at age 60?! Wow. That's basically dead.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Wendell posted:

When I played Final Fantasy XII I remember unlocking things that seemed related to being a monk for Vaan, stuff like bare-handed fighting, and it was completely useless and I ended up having to stick with swords. Is the monk job in International Zodiac Job System worth anything?

Brawler still isn't very useful unless you like to grind levels, since it's so heavily dependent on level for damage. But they get poles which are perfectly serviceable weapons.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Reiterpallasch posted:

Speaking of The Last Remnant I ran through the first couple story missions of the game doing all the fights because I heard that gaining XP was no longer a Bad Idea in the PC port. Then somebody else told me I was wrong, and probably boned. I just got to Elysion and I think I'm BR 8? Is that way too high?

I've been playing it since I scored a super cheap copy last week and I'm on what was Disc 2 and the Koenigsdorf base fights. It seems to me that basically you should only ever fight enemies that come after you (i.e. 'stronger' enemies). You get more stat gains per fight when you're fighting an enemy that's rated higher than your current BR. Also, link together enemies as much as you can handle. You'll get bigger rewards, but your BR only goes up as much as if you fought them individually, unlike the 360 version. Also, having no leader limit means your unions on the whole will be much stronger than your Xbox unions ever could be. And they removed the BR requirements on character's weapon upgrades, so they can get stronger gear than their Xbox versions at the same BR as long as you can get the required items. If you ever hit a difficult boss or area, go find some sidequests. The gains from the enemies in the process has always been more than enough for me to get past any wall (Looking at you Base 3 you motherfucker) Also, turn on turbo mode and set the critical chances to automatic. The AI hits the chances a more than fair amount.

PS: Make sure you get the quests that become unavailable after the aqueducts done in time. I did not. :argh:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Schwartzcough posted:

Brawler still isn't very useful unless you like to grind levels, since it's so heavily dependent on level for damage. But they get poles which are perfectly serviceable weapons.

Thanks for the answers, ya'll.

It's incredible how little I remember of this game's story, but I think it's because I spent the majority of my playtime on the original game doing hunts. I didn't even remember Reks!

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII, and I just found out that you can do the Fort Condor battle more than once. Turns out that playing the game as an adult and actually trying at that mini game, it is really fun. So I downloaded the demo for Crystal Defenders after someone told me it is very similar to it. Turns out they were exageratting, but I still thought the first map was kinda fun. I'm thinking of downloading it, but after looking it up on the Final Fantasy Wikia that every different version of it is vaguely different. Has anyone played this thing? Is it worth buying, and what is the definitive version? I have a PS3 and Wii and was leaning towards the PS3 version.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

I'm replaying Final Fantasy VII, and I just found out that you can do the Fort Condor battle more than once. Turns out that playing the game as an adult and actually trying at that mini game, it is really fun. So I downloaded the demo for Crystal Defenders after someone told me it is very similar to it. Turns out they were exageratting, but I still thought the first map was kinda fun. I'm thinking of downloading it, but after looking it up on the Final Fantasy Wikia that every different version of it is vaguely different. Has anyone played this thing? Is it worth buying, and what is the definitive version? I have a PS3 and Wii and was leaning towards the PS3 version.

Skip it. Its a tower defense game where despite promising a lot of variety there really isn't and you'll get bored by the gameplay after finishing the first map. Plus nothing like having no appreciable goals and every 20 wave gauntlet rewarding you with nothing but a "cleared" sign. Had the game stayed true to FFTA/Job system and customization it'd be a must buy but sadly, skip.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Pesky Splinter posted:

He makes a good point about the distinction between his art and the game graphics. With the kind of tiny utilitarian sprites the early games had to use, he was more illustrating a text than creating concept art.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

I've been playing it on Android and it's a fun way to waste some time, but this is on a portable system. Fun timewasters lose a lot of luster on a home console.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

As others have said, skip it. I 100% cleared it on XBLA but it was not fun at the end. Sure, in the beginning it was fun experimenting with strategies, but by the time you're on A2 and A3 your strategies become the same on every stage and it just becomes a slog.

Also is Dimensions ever coming to Android over in the states or will it just one day appear on here long after I've cared about playing it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is there any way to do a pricewatch on the chapters for FF Dimensions? I know Sqaure will occasionally do a sale on their iOS games but since the game itself is free it has me figuring they might just leave it at $30 which is a shame because for $10-15 I'd be tempted to get it but for $30 I'd sooner go buy multiple good PC games on Steam, or a (few) dozen fun games on iOS.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Some people wanted some more input on Final Fantasy Dimensions and since I just beat it, I’ll throw my thoughts out there. I’ll try to avoid spoilers but there will be a few small things, mostly about the game system itself that I have to mention.

To start with, if you enjoyed FF 3-5, you’ll likely find it worth the price. I hit the ending with 60 hours of play time, so factor that into the $30 price tag. Somehow, this game feels oddly between the 8-bit and 16-bit eras of the FF franchise, as its gameplay system is far superior to the 8-bit games, but the graphics fall way below the masterful pixel art of the 16-bit FFs.

I bought it, all chapters at once and splurged on the extra music for shits and giggles (10$ to unlock chiptune versions of all the music, you can swap back and forth between the original soundtrack and the chiptunes as you like). And the music was fantastic. Maybe the best part of the whole thing. I’d use the chiptunes when playing the dark warriors and use the original music while playing the light warriors. The variation was nice.

Now one of the big things about FFD is that you switch playing between two parties (the previously mentioned light and dark warriors) every, oh, five hours or so. This is kind of neat; the light and dark warriors differ in which jobs they get to unlock so they start to feel different. However, these dark and light side jobs come very slowly and until they do, you’re stuck using the same base classes (fighter/monk/thief/red mage/white mage/black mage) for both parties.

So… this means you play a section as your light warriors. And just as you level up your base classes, reach level 10 and collect new armor and finally get your upgraded fira spell, your're forced to- wait for it- you’re forced to stop playing those guys and swap to the other under leveled dark warriors who now must go through their own section, leveling up the same base classes again, leveling up to level 10 again, collecting the same armor again and rebuying that fira spell (as well as all of the other spells). In the end, you end up buying a fair amount of your arsenal twice because of this system. And this repeats itself, all the way until the final chapter. Certainly pads the gaming time though.

Another black mark is the dungeon tiles. You get the following dungeons, repeated over and over and over and over: a Forest dungeon, a Cave dungeon, a Castle dungeon and a Mountain dungeon. Each section of the game is guaranteed to have 3-4 dungeons from these tile sets. There are a few exceptions but they’re not too exciting (I remember a sewer, desert and airship facility, and the final dungeon is nifty but also contains forest/cave/castle/mountain tiles!)

The characters themselves are one-dimensional and have less unique sprites for emotions than FF5 did. Everyone has only the following: “Stand there like an ape”, “stand there like an ape with your hand raised”, and “strike a pretty battle pose”. Maybe they can lower their heads to show sorrow, like in FF4 too. I forget. But either way, there’s very little character development, little to no character arcs and what little there is, is spread out over eight major playable characters (which are all introduced in a rapid-fire manner in the free first chapter). Don’t expect anything memorable from the villains either. Unfortunately, this makes for pretty drat weak story too. I personally felt that FF5 had a better story/characters/villain, and those were the worst things about FF5!

Now that’s a lot of words about what’s wrong so the rest of this will be about the awesome bits. The enemy graphics are great; modern, high-def designs of classic and new FF monsters. Some of the bosses are downright crazy and beautiful and chilling all at once. Despite the dungeon tile repeats, the dungeon design is very good. There’s hidden treasure everywhere (even on the overworld in some places!) The difficulty is spot on, not too hard, challenge introduced slowly but able to defeat me when I underestimated the situation. The fast-forward option in battle is wonderful and can be set to memorize the last action each hero took. In fact, one of the most pleasurable things for me was to figure out a set-up of commands for each dungeon that would let my party use fast-forward as much as possible, which I would stop as needed for tweaks or the occasional status cure.

Of course, the best feature is the job system. If you loved FF3/FF5/FFT for the job systems, you need to play this game. You level jobs from 1-20 via a point system and as you do, you unlock abilities and blank “slots” to fill in with the abilities of other jobs. The level 20 ability for a job is generally an uber-ability, something really powerful like Duel-cast or Quad-attack so make sure to level them all the way up. You get to level like 4-5 jobs to max for each character by endgame and can eventually max all jobs for everyone by playing post game content (an arena like setup, fighting three extra bosses who get tougher each time you beat them and reward top gear and job points). The flexibility of the job system is really, really well done here yet is much more balanced than in previous FF games. Seriously, you play this game to gently caress around with the job system, to create your own personal pixilated powerhouse gods.

Lastly, there’s Fusion abilities, which are abilities you unlock by using a skill while having another skill equipped. These are rare to find as you go along (I only unlocked 4 or 5 during my entire game) but can be used by that character, no matter what class they are. They are therefore pretty drat powerful/handy and will likely be the reason you’d want a guide for this game at all. The rest of the game has no missables I think, and is very friendly; as in, if you explore EVERYWHERE, you’ll likely find all of the important stuff.

FFD is fun. It’s light, and kind of feels more like FF Mystic Quest in a lot of areas but you can tell that the creators put care and thought into this game, even if it’s not the perfect old-school JRPG I was hoping for. I'd really like to hear what other people thought of it here.

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 30, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Awesome review. I was excited about Dimensions before, but now I can't wait to dig into it five years from now when it releases on Android.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

That review is 100% accurate (except about FFV having bad characters/story). Despite some repetitiveness, Dimensions is a blast to play. The newly ballenced jobs are all great, even previous stinkers like Dragoon and Ranger. And new stuff like Memoralist are ammmmmmazing. There's never been a weaker story or cast in a Final Fantasy but it's pretty light and doesn't get in the way. And there's cool individual moments. All the guest characters are neat also. Much better than the main cast.. Plus, there's a ton of references to the series history which gives the game a FFIX feel which more than makes up for the lackluster plot. The music's amazing and the battle graphics are very nice.

So yeah it's totally a real Final Fantasy and worth the price. I'm glad it was made and glad then it was localized. Just... get it on Andriod, Square so you can make some money and justify the expense.

Bear Sleuth fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 30, 2012

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I am really, really itching for it to come out on Android.

At least we just recently got Chrono Trigger? :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Currently the only thing keeping me on iOS is that it takes forever for games to come out on Android, if they ever do.

Also buying a game once and getting an iPad and iPhone version is neat, although in practice I always end up sticking to one or the other.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Bear Sleuth posted:

There's never been a weaker story or cast in a Final Fantasy but it's pretty light and doesn't get in the way.
Is this including Mystic Quest?

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Let's not go crazy here.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Aahhhh nothing says Final Fantasy like dying to Cloud of Darkness right after that rear end in a top hat boss rush and final dungeon. :unsmigghh:

edit: I'm running Ninja/Knight/Devout/Black Belt, is that somehow underpowered orrrr

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Oct 30, 2012

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Pollyanna posted:

Aahhhh nothing says Final Fantasy like dying to Cloud of Darkness right after that rear end in a top hat boss rush and final dungeon. :unsmigghh:

edit: I'm running Ninja/Knight/Devout/Black Belt, is that somehow underpowered orrrr

Whilst my team for that fight was Devout/Geomancer/Dragoon/Knight, so I can't really say much about underpowered teams, it might be recommendable to bring two devouts, due to how much damage the Cloud dishes out.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Kyrosiris posted:

I am really, really itching for it to come out on Android.

At least we just recently got Chrono Trigger? :v:

They're apparently still struggling to put Guardian Cross on Android as well, so I have to wonder if it's a problem with the platform itself (be it code or user, who knows).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I have a feeling that they're going to release Dimensions for Android about the same time as P4G, which even though I have a couple hours of train commuting a day is going to cause me to commit Sudoku just in the sheer amount of timesinkery I will then be committed to.

Edit: does anyone know if it's possible to download and run the Square Enix App Market outside of Japan? I'm googling but not coming up with much so far

Edit2: This thread is of interest, feel free to yell at me if it's too warez as unfortunately the op is links to download worthless apks, but a bunch of the replies are talking about how they had to do a bunch of vpn and fake carrier poo poo just to access the store, which then has additional layers on top of it. Why Square Enix is so hell bent on keeping people from buying their poo poo is anyone's guess, I imagine it's for some terrible piece of poo poo exclusivity agreement they have that is complete bullshit.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 30, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SmockJoc posted:

Lastly, there’s Fusion abilities, which are abilities you unlock by using a skill while having another skill equipped. These are rare to find as you go along (I only unlocked 4 or 5 during my entire game) but can be used by that character, no matter what class they are. They are therefore pretty drat powerful/handy and will likely be the reason you’d want a guide for this game at all. The rest of the game has no missables I think, and is very friendly; as in, if you explore EVERYWHERE, you’ll likely find all of the important stuff.

Was one of thee Magic Bomb? I unlocked it in a fight during the prologue but the damage seemed to be only slightly better than the base elemental spells.

Is it possible to rename characters after you've first met them or are you stuck with the names unless you restart?

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Was one of thee Magic Bomb? I unlocked it in a fight during the prologue but the damage seemed to be only slightly better than the base elemental spells.

The biggest draw to the Magic Bombs is that they're a way for Summoners to exercise their INT score without having to splurge boatloads of MP per spell. Most every other class that isn't Black Mage/Magus/Summoner won't have the stats to support Magic Bombs as a viable thing.

I... think they wreck Flans pretty well regardless, so giving Magic Bomb 2 to your physical fighters can help out a bit there, but I don't know why you wouldn't have your dedicated offensive spellcaster just whip out a Firaga/Ifrit at all of them at once.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is it possible to rename characters after you've first met them or are you stuck with the names unless you restart?

Nope, you're stuck with 'em.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 30, 2012

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Yes, but Magic Bomb is the lowest of all fusion attacks so it makes sense that it not a show stopper. There's some REALLY cool and useful ones that invite creative job combos. They are a neat and welcome addition.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?

Bear Sleuth posted:

Yes, but Magic Bomb is the lowest of all fusion attacks so it makes sense that it not a show stopper. There's some REALLY cool and useful ones that invite creative job combos. They are a neat and welcome addition.

Oh, absolutely. If you're willing to play around with your Jobs then you'll find some pretty sick stuff (Hastega and Mighty Wall in particular), but unless you're specifically hunting for them you won't find the majority.

Also, making Self-Destruct a Fusion Ability is just mean.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.
wow, wrong thread

thecallahan fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 1, 2012

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Pollyanna posted:

I'm assuming you mean the DS? Then Bards.

(I beat the game using Bard/Bard/Devout/Ranger. Most satisfying FF beaten ever.)

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Finally finished FFIX (took me a couple months, real life got in the way) and I can't think of a better ending for a game. Every single character got a nice little moment to wrap up their story.

Moving on, I'm giving XII a real try for the first time, and holy gently caress this game rules so far. So different from any other game in the series I've played so far, but so funky and cool and weird and I love it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I have still never beaten FFIX. I got it when it first came out, made it to somewhere in disc 3 I think (I remember stone slab things that constantly petrified my dudes) and never finished. Now I've been playing it on my PSP for several years, never been able to commit to it. I'm in Treno right before the final match of the Tetra Master tournament. I wish I could just sit down and finish it.

I dunno what it is about the game. I like the characters, I like the art style, I like the ability system and the combat, I like the story, I even like Kuja which I guess puts me in the minority. Still can't finish it.

Maybe one of these days.

TL posted:

Moving on, I'm giving XII a real try for the first time, and holy gently caress this game rules so far. So different from any other game in the series I've played so far, but so funky and cool and weird and I love it.

Are you playing IZJS or the normal version? IZJS has turbo. Just sayin.

I hated the license board in normal FFXII because you can get like all the attack/magic/hp upgrades for everyone fairly early on and then all there is left to get is gear and spells as you get them. The license board in IZJS is pretty cool though, and I like the jobs. Ashe as samurai is THE BEST. Also, turbo.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pollyanna posted:

Knight is a piece of poo poo. Grab a Summoner, Sage, Black Wizard, Onion Knight if you at all possibly can, anything but a Knight. My party was Onion/Sage/Summoner/Ninja; FF3DS is a lovely game about lovely damage races, and Knight ain't gonna help you win any of those. He can't even heal worth a drat. His equipment options say "tank," but you can't really tank that fight short of having 9999 HP; even with a full Onion set, Cloud of Darkness was doing 2k+ damage to me every round.

Knight is just a busta no matter how you look at it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 3, 2012