Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I brought Driver: Parallel Lines complete in the box with manual and all from the Salvation Army for like four dollars and felt ripped off. Don't trust the guy above me, its a horrible game and no-one should purchase it at any price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
He was recommending San Francisco, which I agree is pretty great.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
While he said that San Fran was great he was specifically talking about Parallel Lines being decent and cheap.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Before we get derailed talking about whether or not I'm a horrible person for liking Parallel Lines, some new artwork was uploaded by GAME's twitter account

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Quadbikes confirmed. (:pray:)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Three more protagonists!

That looks pretty dang genuine but I'm still waiting for official word instead.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LA attack posted:

Please elaborate on this.

In San Andreas Ken calls CJ "Tommy" several times, making a bunch of comments about how it's "just like old times." The fact that he was chased out of Miami also speaks to this, because unless he and Tommy had a massive falling out, I doubt Tommy would be letting anyone gently caress with his lawyer buddy. I always took that something happened in between Vice City and San Andreas that ended with Tommy dead and Ken on the run.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
No, Tommy basically didn't feel like giving Ken any help after he got out of rehab, at least according to the prelude to San Andreas that was released. I suppose you could say the fact that he wouldn't even pick up the phone and talk to Ken could show that he was dead and someone else was pulling the strings without letting other people know, but the real answer of course is that Tommy's VA had a falling out with Rockstar.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

No, Tommy basically didn't feel like giving Ken any help after he got out of rehab, at least according to the prelude to San Andreas that was released. I suppose you could say the fact that he wouldn't even pick up the phone and talk to Ken could show that he was dead and someone else was pulling the strings without letting other people know, but the real answer of course is that Tommy's VA had a falling out with Rockstar.

According to the book about Rockstar that recently came out, Ray Liotta and the Rockstar guys were never in with one another enough to have a falling out. He was apparently a nightmare to work with.

DannyDeviant
Jul 22, 2005

Dedicated to Deviance
The art is so expressive. Even more than the screen shots.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Sapient Afro posted:

Before we get derailed talking about whether or not I'm a horrible person for liking Parallel Lines, some new artwork was uploaded by GAME's twitter account

Love all the new artwork so far. Dogs, lady cops, four wheelers, the desert. A whole bunch of cool poo poo.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Sapient Afro posted:

This pretty much confirms that we'll be able to go east-to-northeast of LA into the Mojave Desert. This map is gonna be huge.

Edit: Also, lady cops :allears:

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 30, 2012

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

We've never seen female cops before, have we?

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Breadallelogram posted:

We've never seen female cops before, have we?

We saw a female cop in the first trailer for GTA IV but she was apparently removed before the game was released. Saints Row featured female cops though.

BrandonGK fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 30, 2012

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I was going to replay GTAIV on PC with mods and after iCEnhancer the first thing I looked for was something to let me turn off friend calls but still get the friend bonuses. After many searches I still haven't found anything.
Is there any mod for this?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Tumble posted:

If there are dogs in this game, you guys better not hurt them. Don't ever hurt dogs. My first and most important mission will be to protect the dogs, and to hunt down everybody that even thinks about hurting them.
I'm actually a bit nervous about how dogs are going to be used. Please just let dogs be my little buddies, Rockstar. I don't want to shoot them or make them fight.

I also don't want them to spread misinformation about Pits and Rottweilers to the impressionable European teenagers on GTAForums.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 30, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm actually a bit nervous about how dogs are going to be used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzYN5h4IAHM&feature=youtu.be&t=58s

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

BrandonGK posted:

We saw a female cop in the first trailer for GTA IV but she was apparently removed before the game was released. Saints Row featured female cops though.

Female cops were in GTAIV, but Rockstar removed them because killing them made the testers uncomfortable.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they implement multiple characters, since it is looking more and more likely. I wonder if you can switch freely between them for when you fancy a wander/rampage around town. Since obviously on a rampage you'd want to play as whichever character has the most entertaining trash talk.

And I hope they've improved hand to hand combat, I still never managed to get that achievement for reversing attacks in GTAIV. Sleeping Dogs has really spoiled me on this, love the hand to hand and environmental interaction in that game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People were uncomfortable killing female police but were perfectly fine shoving women down the stairs? :psyduck:

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

BrandonGK posted:

If GTA V doesn't have Maurice Chavez I'm snapping the disc in two.

Chuck D as Forthright MC :colbert:

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

Cojawfee posted:

People were uncomfortable killing female police but were perfectly fine shoving women down the stairs? :psyduck:

Running over female pedestrians and smearing their blood on the windshield: Okay.
Shooting female cops: Not okay.

R* should really tell those testers to go gently caress themselves this time.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Spring 2013 release confirmed.

quote:

Today, we're proud to announce that Grand Theft Auto V is expected to launch worldwide spring 2013 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Developed by series creator Rockstar North, Grand Theft Auto V takes place in a re-imagined, present-day Southern California in the largest and most thriving game-world we have ever created set in the sprawling city of Los Santos and for miles beyond – from the tops of the mountains to the depths of the ocean.
Starting next week November 5, 2012, Grand Theft Auto V will become available for pre-order everywhere and fans can expect a host of new information to become available in November.

Look for downloadable desktop versions of the brand new artwork above coming very soon.
R* themselves say the game world is going to outdo everything else they've done in terms of scale and detail. Already figured the countryside would be a pretty big deal from the trailer + screenshots but it's good to know it's gonna be way, way more than just Los Santos. Also the return of underwater swimming hinted at? Or maybe they'll give us scuba gear and harpoon guns :q:

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 30, 2012

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

marktheando posted:

And I hope they've improved hand to hand combat, I still never managed to get that achievement for reversing attacks in GTAIV.

The trick to getting that achievement wasn't to be good at the combat, but to find a nicely populated area of the city that has a lot of taxi cabs and a hot dog stand (like down by the Helicopter Tours pier). Just go around shoving taxi cabs and then fight the drivers when they come to fight you. You can let them whoop you around a little, and have no fear because if your health gets low you can just run over and eat a hot dog and keep at it. Basically you just keep doing it over and over and over until you get the ten you need in a four minute block.

Kinda like how people had trouble getting Rolled Over because they were forgetting that you need to keep the accelerator down. As long as you held down the gas pedal, you could hit a ramp, roll over, turn around, and hit the ramp again ad infinitum until you hit to required number of rollovers (provided the car never gets stuck upside down and you have to bail out, of course).

I'm super excited about the art with the gangbanger lookin dude holding the chain leash on the dog. As long as it isn't "just art" it would add an awesome layer of strategy if you had to plan your attacks to include fending off a gang's trained attack/guard dogs.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mammal Sauce posted:

Also the return of underwater swimming hinted at? Or maybe they'll give us scuba gear and harpoon guns :q:
Rockstar still hates PC.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The Dave fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 30, 2012

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

ETA: poo poo! Too slow.

New piece of artwork too!

Iphones confirmed I guess.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

VirtualStranger posted:

Running over female pedestrians and smearing their blood on the windshield: Okay.
Shooting female cops: Not okay.

R* should really tell those testers to go gently caress themselves this time.

Yeah it reeks of sexism. The politically correct criminal thinks that all cops are bastards, not just the men.

Mammal Sauce posted:

R* themselves say the game world is going to outdo everything else they've done in terms of scale and detail. Already figured the countryside would be a pretty big deal from the trailer + screenshots but it's good to know it's gonna be way, way more than just Los Santos. Also the return of underwater swimming hinted at? Or maybe they'll give us scuba gear and harpoon guns :q:

Yes. Maybe a James Cameron style mini-sub?

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Rockstar still hates PC.

PC release Winter 2013 ...hopefully.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Grand Theft Kate Upton

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Rockstar still hates PC.
I predict continual utterances of "spaghetti code" in this thread for at least six months after release day.

vvv I don't think the multiple-protagonist theorising really took off until they released screenshots of the two characters featured prominently in the trailer piloting fighter jets and doing other player-protagonist type stuff.

Pretty good fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 30, 2012

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
Half the fun of anticipating a Grand Theft Auto game is conjecturing - I know this because I've done it right alongside everybody else since Vice City was first announced - but I'm still not sold on the multi-protagonist thing. The main evidence fueling this was some of the marketing leaked earlier wasn't the white guy we saw in the trailer. Now we've got this new marketing, so following our this logic, why couldn't we assume we get to play as a female cop too? Or maybe we also play as the girl she's arresting? Or a balding guy with a sniper rifle? Or maybe we get to pretend we're in Breaking Bad and use pest control as a front for drug operations.

As somebody mentioned before, Rockstar has commonly used associates of the main character and other NPCs as the subjects in similar artwork for past GTA games. It sounds like a cool idea, I'd just like to hear a better argument for multiple protagonists than some marketing pictures that are done in the same style as nearly every other game in the series.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I like how someone in the thread was adamant it wouldn't come out until 2014. Still, I wasn't expecting it quite so soon so this is pretty awesome.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

See this is the kind of juvenile but not over the top humor I like in my gta games. The apple logo turned into dick and balls banana. I'm excited.

Also, wasn't everyone expecting it Spring 2013 once we all finally gave up on Fall 2012? I mean why on earth would it be pushed until the next gen consoles were already out?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Truman Sticks posted:

Now we've got this new marketing, so following our this logic, why couldn't we assume we get to play as a female cop too?

This was rumoured ages ago based on a casting call Rockstar put out for a corrupt female cop, so sounds like she'll at least be a fairly prominent character. Maybe even playable, who knows?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
No Wii U support mentioned either? That's surprising, I would have thought Nintendo would do all they can to lock up a release at the same time as the other 2.

Either way, excited for this, I really enjoyed 4 in spite of its issues.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

vvv I don't think the multiple-protagonist theorising really took off until they released screenshots of the two characters featured prominently in the trailer piloting fighter jets and doing other player-protagonist type stuff.
The multiple protagonist theories have been around long before the game was even announced.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Apple is gonna sue them, look at that phone with rounded edges.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

marktheando posted:

a casting call Rockstar put out for a corrupt female cop

Michelle Rodriguez confirmed

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

Croccers posted:

Apple is gonna sue them, look at that phone with rounded edges.

GTA IV already had the iFruit and made extensive fun at the expense of Apple customers with little repercussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Apple users are too busy looking at their twittergrams and iApps to play video games and never noticed.

• Locked thread