Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Doug Dinsdale posted:

How? Did they open up their JP servers to IPs out of Japan?
If that's the case, I can finally open that shiny new package that's been sitting there the past ten days.

As far as I know, people are getting around the IP block using VPN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Any major DQX impressions?

Trin, what'd you do to get that title?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

iastudent posted:

Honestly, the matchmaking in Joker 2 is pretty badly balanced. My lower-tier teams got matched up way too often with other teams of top-ranked monsters with stats grinded to max.

Word is that Terry's Wonderland 3DS suffers from the same problem.

Evil Fluffy posted:

How's Joker 2? Played the first one which seemed alright but online play was useless because most fights I found were against creatures with impossible stats.

I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in here for multiplayer. Not much changes between Joker 2 and Terry's Wonderland and yet a lot does. The addition of a 4th slot in Terry's wonderland is a gigantic game changer. In joker 2 using a giant monster that wasn't a Ruin or an Estark was for the most part a bad idea but, is now a valid with a slot being open for a support monster. For Joker 2 Ruin was, overall, the best monster to use for multiplayer(well Zenith Dragon is but who the hell what's to breed something that hard) with high HP and Def with a high immunity list (Canzar's list is so big that I think it's a glitch, though). While Canzar is objectively the best monster in Joker 2 the AI is too dumb to be left to its own devices in one on one fights. For Terry's Wonderland MP usage is massively different than in Joker 2. The majority of spells and skills that do above 250 damage use 100~150 MP and that stuff goes fast when you have monsters that attack 2~3 times a turn so make sure you breed auto recovery skills. Oh and don't bother bringing anything into multiplayer for Terry's Wonderland unless it has a chance to attack more than once. Because you will get poopsocked. It will be a team of something innocent like a team of slimes and you will smirk to yourself and say I got this and they will roll you hard. Something I learned quite early both in Joker 2 and Terry is that just because a monster is low stat monster does not mean it is a weak monster. I fought a team of Munchies that skunked my post secondary quest team first turn using nothing but magic attacks. This post got bigger than I meant it to but, if you stick with multiplayer you can get some sweet multiplayer exclusive monster like a giant slime tank or a sentient castle. I'm also hearing in terry that there is a version of the ghost ship that fires slimes out its cannons.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest VII is bound for 3DS in February in Japan.

LordAndrew
Jul 13, 2009

Walking death machine equipped with the knowledge of Nuclear.

Bongo Bill posted:

Oh God yes this is the best news. :allears: Dragon Quest VII was the one that introduced me to this lovely series. I just hope we actually get a release for it here in the States (WHERE IS ROCKET SLIME 3 AND TERRY'S WONDERLAND?)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I can't tell from that scan, but they've upgraded the graphics engine? Holy poo poo, sign me up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Levantine posted:

I can't tell from that scan, but they've upgraded the graphics engine? Holy poo poo, sign me up.

The screenshot looks to be fully 3D a la 8 and 10, or at least 3D and capable of dropping into a more intimate perspective for cutscenes a la 9.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
That's cool... but I thought everyone always said 7 sucks?

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

voltron lion force posted:

I loved 7. It's very long, like maybe arguably too long but I enjoyed it all the way. The class system is a little tedious though.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

7 doesn't suck. It has some of the best stories in the series, some of the best difficulty, and more.

Since this is a remake, you should be excited. They're fully remaking the game in 3d, and DQ remakes tend to add and even outright change features from their originals. I don't think they'd release DQ7 as it is for today's audiences. They'll more than likely streamline the hell out of stuff like the length and pacing.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The biggest problem with 7 was that the company Enix hired to make it took FOREVER to do so, and as a result it looked like poo poo compared to its contemporaries. It still had the DQ charm.

I just can't imagine what would happen if you missed one of those world shard things along the way. What the hell would you do, explore every pot in the entire world? Good God.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

It's got flaws for sure, but it's definitely my favorite game in the series. I've only played all the way through once though, because it's a massive time investment.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I tired playing the original one time and I got a couple hours in and practically nothing had happened yet and then everyone said it sucked so I gave up.

Himuro posted:

7 doesn't suck. It has some of the best stories in the series, some of the best difficulty, and more.

Since this is a remake, you should be excited. They're fully remaking the game in 3d, and DQ remakes tend to add and even outright change features from their originals. I don't think they'd release DQ7 as it is for today's audiences. They'll more than likely streamline the hell out of stuff like the length and pacing.

I am actually kind of excited though. I really liked the class system in 6 which I hear is similar to 7's. Also, difficulty you say? I'm intrigued.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Well, I find the difficulty more balanced that every DQ I've played. It's not outright hard or anything, though. But you'll probably have to head to the church quite a bit.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Stay near the Shrine because you'll be grinding Job Classes. A lot.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Harlock posted:

Stay near the Shrine because you'll be grinding Job Classes. A lot.

This was pretty much my strategy back when it came out, I ended up grinding out a Paladin in that stupid tower nearby (I think it was near the shrine). Class abilities make the game so much easier comparatively to other entries in the series I thought.

Brimruk
Jun 5, 2009
I never understood people who bought consoles based solely on one game, but now I do. I've never played VII but it's always looked captivating so I guess I'll be picking up a 3DS whenever this game makes it stateside...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

It's got absolutely terrible pacing so it's twice the length of other jrpgs just from sheer grinding. Also has a very large amount of the usual unrelated-to-plot DQ small town sidequests, more than any other in the series.

But if you like that sort of oldschool jrpg style, go to town.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It doesn't have bad pacing at all.

It just has a lot of stuff in it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
No way, it totally has bad pacing. If it takes over 30 hours to unlock the class system, that's terrible pacing. It's like how in Final Fantasy XIII you had to play 20 hours to change party leader/pick any paradigm/actually poo poo that's not the story. Except in FFXIII's case, this means it takes half the game.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dr Pepper posted:

It doesn't have bad pacing at all.

It just has a lot of stuff in it.

Really. You didn't grind substantially more than any other DQ?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
DQ7 has good storyline pacing, but terrible gameplay pacing. The difficulties facing the various islands are all pretty interesting and varied and work well with the typical DQ storyline structure, but they really needed to give you classes at least 3 islands earlier.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Himuro posted:

No way, it totally has bad pacing. If it takes over 30 hours to unlock the class system, that's terrible pacing. It's like how in Final Fantasy XIII you had to play 20 hours to change party leader/pick any paradigm/actually poo poo that's not the story. Except in FFXIII's case, this means it takes half the game.

It only takes like fifteen hours. That's still a lot and really annoying, but it's like half of what you're claiming.

Mister Roboto posted:

I remember spending a few hours at the end of the game grinding out the Hero class, but that was mostly unnecessary.

What would help DQ7 the most would be shrinking the environments like they did in DQ4 DS, but since this is a full remake maybe they'll just arrange things better in the first place so it won't take so long just to get from point A to point B.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 30, 2012

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Certainly took me 30 hours to unlock the Dharma Temple. Then again, I'm always slow with rpgs because I talk with every npc regularly.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I just hope they've taken all the game-crashing bugs out that made me eventually hurl DW7 in disgust even though I'd been originally tabbed to work on it. (I ended up doing GBC DW3 and DWM2 over the same period. I did get asked to edit and rewrite the whole thing, but I was too burned out, and only did the jester battle lines.)

One particularly notable crash was an event involving a robot boss. When I beat it in battle, it gave its death speech, which ended in gibberish. And then, the screen went all weird and the game crashed. I remember being impressed by this "staging" until I realized it was a real crash.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I just hope they've taken all the game-crashing bugs out that made me eventually hurl DW7 in disgust even though I'd been originally tabbed to work on it. (I ended up doing GBC DW3 and DWM2 over the same period. I did get asked to edit and rewrite the whole thing, but I was too burned out, and only did the jester battle lines.)

One particularly notable crash was an event involving a robot boss. When I beat it in battle, it gave its death speech, which ended in gibberish. And then, the screen went all weird and the game crashed. I remember being impressed by this "staging" until I realized it was a real crash.

You did the Jester lines for DW7? Those were really good. I remember being impressed with them when I played it recently (~2010), and also kind of bewildered because they were so well written compared to the rest of the game.

"Cannibox do the Hustle? No, it doesn't have Defeat for it."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Himuro posted:

As soon as you got to Dharma, that's when the grind really started, and the game started to become not as fun. So I wish it had taken even longer to get to the class system. My best memories of the game come from the first 20 hours. The class system was awful and the main reason I'll never replay it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mister Roboto posted:

Not really, no.

I guess if you were going out of your way to master classes as quickly as possible you'd hang around the lowest level area to try and get more fights.

I just played the game and changed classes when I mastered the one I was in.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Wendell posted:

I just can't imagine what would happen if you missed one of those world shard things along the way. What the hell would you do, explore every pot in the entire world? Good God.

Yeah. You did that. (Guess who had to do a couple of dungeons twice.) Bought the guide to avoid that mid-game: the guide was based on an old build or faulty info or something and doesn't list everything correctly.

Mister Roboto posted:

Also yeah the thing was hella grindy. I have still never beat it, technically, because 180 hours in I'm in the endgame and I didn't optimize my jobs enough so I have to go into the final dungeon (the only place in the game where enemies give me job XP anymore) and beat on things for a bit to try and get new skills and every time I do the loading times per battle and pace kill me and that dungeon is so huge and ugh.

I don't think I've even seen the endboss' final form, and the last save point is somewhere around a half hour of gameplay away from him, from memory. Outside the dungeon.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah. You did that. (Guess who had to do a couple of dungeons twice.) Bought the guide to avoid that mid-game: the guide was based on an old build or faulty info or something and doesn't list everything correctly.

Also yeah the thing was hella grindy. I have still never beat it, technically, because 180 hours in I'm in the endgame and I didn't optimize my jobs enough so I have to go into the final dungeon (the only place in the game where enemies give me job XP anymore) and beat on things for a bit to try and get new skills and every time I do the loading times per battle and pace kill me and that dungeon is so huge and ugh.

I don't think I've even seen the endboss' final form, and the last save point is somewhere around a half hour of gameplay away from him, from memory. Outside the dungeon.

I'm pretty sure every new dungeon you can enter on disc 2 has no level cap when it comes to job experience.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It is entirely possible I hosed that up. Last time I even tried booting it up was years ago.

I've still got the save backed up on both the old PS1 memory card and a PS2 card I ported all my PS1 RPG saves to just in case, and yet I could never be arsed to finish it due to that loving endboss.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Dr Pepper posted:

Not really, no.

I guess if you were going out of your way to master classes as quickly as possible you'd hang around the lowest level area to try and get more fights.

I just played the game and changed classes when I mastered the one I was in.

Yeah I'm kind of with you on this. The extent of grinding I ever did was along the lines of 'whoop, maybe I'll grab an extra level here' or 'let's just finish this job level before I go in' and I never had any serious issues.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DQ7 is amazing, but it's long and stuck to the sprite-based design which had people crying because it wasn't 3D like FF7 and others. Getting to the top end classes can be brutal though. I think there was a summoner class that took something like 2300 battles to reach and master, while Godhand was in the 1500 range?

I loved the game but it's easily the longest Dragon Quest out there. The biggest complaint I saw wasn't that it was long, but that finding shards was a massive pain in the rear end at times, since some were only visible when you rotated the camera or were in vague locations. Other people bitched that it took about an hour from start until first battle.

I wouldn't say DQ7 has a lot of difficulty though, but it depends on how you setup your characters and their classes.

Himuro posted:

Pretty sure I unlocked Dharma at around 15-20 hours the first time I played it.

I definitely spent the next 5-10 grinding jobs though. Hard to say no to Marabel as a sage with the Hero as a maxxed Battlemaster working on Paladin (and Gabbo a paladin working on battlemaster). Dual Godhands and 1-2 sages for the end game? :getin:

Plus it doesn't have any sort of brick wall boss like Mudo in DQ6 who was just a giant gently caress You to players since he was right before Dharma, yet was harder than the next boss or two.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'm not sure how this is possible. If you were grinding that much you'd have to have at least a handful of the 2nd tier classes unlocked for characters even if you didn't get GodHand/Summoner/Superstar(?) for anyone. At a high level you can beat the final boss using intermediate classes but if you got the advanced ones it does help. I think I beat it using 2 Godhands, a Ranger, and a Sage. I forgot their levels but it wasn't very high as most of my job grinding was done right outside of Dharma.

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
I remember playing DQ7 a bunch. I finally unlocked classes, and then I started getting encounters with the dreaded slime. It felt like about 20 hours in.

Good game, but it went on FOREVER and finding shards were a nightmare without a guide.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ7 is amazing, but it's long and stuck to the sprite-based design which had people crying because it wasn't 3D like FF7 and others. Getting to the top end classes can be brutal though. I think there was a summoner class that took something like 2300 battles to reach and master, while Godhand was in the 1500 range?

I loved the game but it's easily the longest Dragon Quest out there. The biggest complaint I saw wasn't that it was long, but that finding shards was a massive pain in the rear end at times, since some were only visible when you rotated the camera or were in vague locations. Other people bitched that it took about an hour from start until first battle.

I wouldn't say DQ7 has a lot of difficulty though, but it depends on how you setup your characters and their classes.

Pretty sure I unlocked Dharma at around 15-20 hours the first time I played it.

I definitely spent the next 5-10 grinding jobs though. Hard to say no to Marabel as a sage with the Hero as a maxxed Battlemaster working on Paladin (and Gabbo a paladin working on battlemaster). Dual Godhands and 1-2 sages for the end game? :getin:

Plus it doesn't have any sort of brick wall boss like Mudo in DQ6 who was just a giant gently caress You to players since he was right before Dharma, yet was harder than the next boss or two.

I'm not sure how this is possible. If you were grinding that much you'd have to have at least a handful of the 2nd tier classes unlocked for characters even if you didn't get GodHand/Summoner/Superstar(?) for anyone. At a high level you can beat the final boss using intermediate classes but if you got the advanced ones it does help. I think I beat it using 2 Godhands, a Ranger, and a Sage. I forgot their levels but it wasn't very high as most of my job grinding was done right outside of Dharma.

They could have gotten wrapped up in Monster classes, and that's involves a whole lotta work for any payoff whatsoever.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

They really didn't think Monster Classes through in DQ7, at all. Way too much work to be worth while.

I kind of hope they change it up. Maybe give you a monster party member who's thing is the monster classes, so they become worthwhile.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

They really didn't think Monster Classes through in DQ7, at all. Way too much work to be worth while.

I kind of hope they change it up. Maybe give you a monster party member who's thing is the monster classes, so they become worthwhile.

I don't know, it makes sense to me!

:shepicide:

When it comes to the human classes, you can reasonably figure out a logical progression (Mariner x Thief = Pirate, Warrior x Mage = Magic Knight, etc), but the monster classes are just an all out free for all of nonsense.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I think I'd found 3 or 4 hearts during my DQ7 playthrough. I always figured they were more or less nonsense but I guess if someone's lucky on drops they could spend a lot of time on them. I just remember having a friend tell me how they spent a few weeks getting PlatKing for some ungodly reason. I guess it helped with the postgame stuff.

Doing a playthrough using just monster classes seems like it'd make for an interesting challenge but it'd probably be boring as gently caress, too.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Bongo Bill posted:

That was somewhat predictable, but I'm glad it's happening if only because it means VIII is next on the remake list. Hopefully it'll be a console title; I don't think it would work on a portable at all.

Maybe it'll be on the Wii U or PS4 using an enhanced version of the Ni no Kuni engine…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You really think 8 is gonna get a remake? Unless you mean an HD remix thing, which I would buy instantly.