Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

spankmeister posted:

Talisker is quite peppery compared to Glenlivet, it's a good intro to the more flavorful whiskies but HP might be a better stepping stone.
Agreed, and to my experience Talisker lacks a defining taste. It is quite strong and the warmth it lends to my throat on passing it is a unique effect among the bottles in my cabinet, but compared to other scotches I really do find it difficult to discern various flavours in it, so for an unexperienced drinker a HP or a Glenlivet would most likely provide an experience easier to savour.

For a more unique yet affordable Glenlivet the 15 yo Nadurra cask strength is very solid.

edit: The mailman brought a box from heaven.

Deleuzionist fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

kidsafe posted:

Because BevMo is such a large mover of booze, their price adjustments can be glacial. I'm guessing their distributor temporarily raised prices around $10 briefly due to supply issues right when they made their last bulk order for Laphroaig.

It's still $38 at K&L, a specialty shop with locations in the SFBA and LA.

Looks like even K&L had to raise their price to $42. But, David at K&L got fed up with superficial price hikes, so he decided to do something about it.

Diageo raised the price of their Ron Zacapa rum, so he bought up all of the distributor's stock of Oban 18 (36 cases!) and is selling it for almost 25% off.

Glenrothes decided to raise the price of their 1988 release, so K&L lowered the price of the 1995 by 20%. I like it!

I actually love it. Check out this "hypothetical" situation played out on their blog.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 19, 2012

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've been on a long bourbon kick but my local store finally got Highland Park 12 back in stock so I bought some. It's been a nice change, also nice to have more than a few fingers of something without getting a strong buzz.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Tigren posted:

Glenrothes decided to raise the price of their 1988 release, so K&L lowered the price of the 1995 by 20%. I like it!
He's just not going to order the '1988' at its new price of $150.

Glenrothes, Balblair and other distilleries who mainly use a vintage bottling method, I do feel have the right to gradually raise prices on permanently dwindling stocks.

Also his last mailing said Laphroaig will be going back up to $43, so meh.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Oct 19, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Welp, guess it's time to shop from K&L more, dude seems like a boss.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

K&L has been my liquor store of choice for a while now. They have some really excellent exclusive Scotch options and great cocktail spirits (if they have Tempus Fugit Violet Liqueur GET IT). Lots of nice bourbon, too, I hear.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I picked up a bottle of (ri)1 at the ABC since they didn't have any Four Roses aside from the normal version. Definitely a step up from Russel's Reserve, though it wasn't cheap. I'll have to do a side-by-side with Bulleit to see if the hike in price is worth buying it again, but I can definitely recommend it to any fan of rye looking for something new. And hey, the bottle's probably the coolest glass thing in my house.

What I've really been craving since I tried it is Sazerac; but according to the clerk I talked to, there's only two stores in Virginia that even get it. :smith:

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
So I am pretty new to scotch/whiskey drinking but I was wondering if you guys have any must try recommendations? I tried most of the stuff on the OP and I particularly enjoy the Johnnie Walker black label (which I am drinking now). So any recommendations?

Edit: Sorry for any disruptions in the conversation.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

why oh WHY posted:

So I am pretty new to scotch/whiskey drinking but I was wondering if you guys have any must try recommendations? I tried most of the stuff on the OP and I particularly enjoy the Johnnie Walker black label (which I am drinking now). So any recommendations?

Edit: Sorry for any disruptions in the conversation.

Highland Park 12 for more intricate flavors and smokiness. Also, I like Talisker (which happens to be a component of Johnnie Walker Black Label) - but you'll hear differing opinions about it.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 23, 2012

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Edit: Nevermind

Ample fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 3, 2013

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
My budget is pretty flexible in this department because I enjoy actually drinking good alcohol not chugging good alcohol but for a more solid number I'm thinking my max is about 150. If I want to get drunk I go and buy a cheap bottle of vodka and down half of it in one sitting, so yeah price isn't something I worry too much about.

Edit: I just realized I sound like a loving snob which I'm not.

why oh WHY fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 23, 2012

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

why oh WHY posted:

My budget is pretty flexible in this department because I enjoy actually drinking good alcohol not chugging good alcohol but for a more solid number I'm thinking my max is about 150. If I want to get drunk I go and buy a cheap bottle of vodka and down half of it in one sitting, so yeah price isn't something I worry too much about.

Hey, even when you want to get drunk, go good and cheap, which is totally possible with bourbon. Evan Williams is enjoyable stuff at a bottom shelf price, and it's not alone.

Though to add on a more premium bourbon I liked, Booker's is pretty great. Though since it's a small batch and cask strength, the exact quality can vary and if you don't add some water it will mostly taste like fire.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
I'll just throw this out for you budget-concious buyers. Until after the new year the distillery Inverhouse is offering a $6 a bottle rebate on their single malts (Old Pulteny, AnCnoc, Balblair and Speyburn). In addition, Binnys is running a $5 off any $25 or more spirits purchase.

So do what I did and get a bottle of Old Pulteny 12 for a whopping $28.

Slightly sweet, salty, with a big finish. Really nice stuff and an amazing value. Was really close to buying the AnCnoc though!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
All the Inverhouse malts like AnCnoc, Old Pulteney, Balblair and even Speyburn have a similar house style with slight variations. Old Pulteney is as NightConqueror said, slightly salty...sort of. It's really not something to be afraid of and really only manifests as a slight tingling on the front of your tongue at first. AnCnoc and Balblair are extremely sweet with the latter being slightly richer.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've really been pleased with the briny character of the bottle of Old Pulteney I bought recently. It gives the whisky this lean, rangy quality that's pretty great. I'd recommend it for all palates.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I finished my Jefferson's Reserve very small batch bourbon last night and it's one of the smoothest neat bourbons you will find. It was far too easy for me to finish the bottle and makes even Blantons seem a bit rough. Onto my Black Maple Hill orange ink bottle now.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I had a bit of a Springbank night recently, which consisted of finishing a bottle of 10 y/o and opening up bottles of 12 y/o Cask Strength and 15 y/o.

I like the Springbank 10, it's probably my 'go to' Malt and finishing a bottle just means I'm going to have to buy another.
The Cask Strength 12 is a bit rough around the edges in my opinion. A little bit wild even with a good amount of water added it's interesting but I couldn't honestly recommend it. It's one of the oiliest whiskies I've ever seen. It really sticks to the side of the glass.
The 15 y/o is absolutely gorgeous. Apart from the rich, oily mouth feel it doesn't share a great deal with the other two, being more heathery and oaky, rounding off into a nice vanilla finish. I suspect that the 10 y/o has a higher proportion of Sherry Casks than the 15, but Springbank is truly batch processed so YMMV if you have some to hand.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

biglads posted:

I had a bit of a Springbank night recently, which consisted of finishing a bottle of 10 y/o and opening up bottles of 12 y/o Cask Strength and 15 y/o.

I like the Springbank 10, it's probably my 'go to' Malt and finishing a bottle just means I'm going to have to buy another.
The Cask Strength 12 is a bit rough around the edges in my opinion. A little bit wild even with a good amount of water added it's interesting but I couldn't honestly recommend it. It's one of the oiliest whiskies I've ever seen. It really sticks to the side of the glass.
The 15 y/o is absolutely gorgeous. Apart from the rich, oily mouth feel it doesn't share a great deal with the other two, being more heathery and oaky, rounding off into a nice vanilla finish. I suspect that the 10 y/o has a higher proportion of Sherry Casks than the 15, but Springbank is truly batch processed so YMMV if you have some to hand.

I've always been a bit curious about Sprinkbank's stuff. I've heard its very good. Have you tried the Springbank CV? It's a cheaper NAS that's supposed to be decent.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

NightConqueror posted:

I've always been a bit curious about Sprinkbank's stuff. I've heard its very good. Have you tried the Springbank CV? It's a cheaper NAS that's supposed to be decent.

I've got some Longrow CV but I haven't had any Springbank CV, yet. I'll try to grab some soon.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

Just go straight to the 10 year if you want to be safe. It's fairly innocuous and doesn't bash you over the head with flavor like the various sherry/madeira finished versions. Older Springbanks also tend to develop some strong, funky notes that take a bit of getting used to.

I recently tried Kilkerran's WIP whiskies and they are unsurprisingly very similar to young Springbank as well.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The CV is a nice lowish-cost introduction to Springbank (Same goes for the Longrow CV, and I presume there is a Hazelburn CV.) bur it's a bit thinner and less rich, and rougher around the edges than the 10YO. I'd agree with kidsafe and say go straight to the 10, unless you are on a real tight budget or something.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Helped out a buddy reach a sales goal and he wants to buy me a bottle of something. Suggestions for a $100 ball park price range?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

madkapitolist posted:

...a bottle of something. Suggestions for a $100 ball park price range?

Any preferences, bourbon, scotch?

I don't have a lot of experience with near $100 whiskys but Lagavulin 16 and Oban 14 are both excellent. The only $100 bourbons I've had are the Woodford Masters Collection: Oak and Maple, both excellent. The oak is a regular offering now for around $50.

There is also Pappy Van Winkle but I've never had it.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

madkapitolist posted:

Helped out a buddy reach a sales goal and he wants to buy me a bottle of something. Suggestions for a $100 ball park price range?

For scotch I'd recommend Oban 14, which is about $60-$100 depending on where you live and how horrific your local/state taxes are. It's one of my favorites.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

madkapitolist posted:

Compass Box Flaming Heart (2012 release) or Spice Tree should both be under $100. Both are extremely balanced vatted malts with a Highland character from a boutique independent bottler.

MOAR
Mar 6, 2012

Death! Put your jacket on or you'll get frostbite!

madkapitolist posted:

I'll second the Lagavulin 16 and Oban 14 already mentioned.

Will throw in the Talisker 18 as well.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I picked up a bottle of Blanton's Single Barrel Original (93 proof) at the airport. I have little experience with bourbon--Beam White & Black, Bulleit, Woodford and Four Roses--and not being in the US I seldom drink anything but Beam White (my getting-trashed bourbon of choice) or Black (about $45 a bottle here, so roughly the same as Blanton's in the US). I actually like the nail polish aspect of Jim Beam.

Anyway, I have found this bottle of Blanton's to be a little strong yet also aromatically bland, barely better than Jim Beam Black--Bulleit I definitely liked better. For me it improves a lot if I dilute it with a lot more water than I would expect.

Before, I didn't like Woodford or Roses so much, either--usually, in Scotch, I'm a regular JW Black and occasional Ardbeg or Laphroaig drinker. Been enjoying some Glenfarclas 105 lately too. Bourbonwise, Woodford was too smooth and Roses was harsh. I'm wondering if I did a disservice to myself by not getting the considerably cheaper Wild Turkey 101 or the equally priced Booker's. It's not bad whiskey by any means but with this crudity I'd just as well pick up a bottle of Jim Beam Black at half the price.

Note that what I say is colored by availability in my home country--sure, I can get Four Roses Single Barrel, but at $70+ here it's hard for me to justify it. So I get to deal with $45 Jim Beam Black instead.

cancelope fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 5, 2012

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

asaf posted:

Before, I didn't like Woodford or Roses so much, either--usually, in Scotch, I'm a regular JW Black and occasional Ardbeg or Laphroaig drinker. Been enjoying some Glenfarclas 105 lately too. Bourbonwise, Woodford was too smooth and Roses was harsh. I'm wondering if I did a disservice to myself by not getting the considerably cheaper Wild Turkey 101 or the equally priced Booker's. It's not bad whiskey by any means but with this crudity I'd just as well pick up a bottle of Jim Beam Black at half the price.

I'm a big proponent of Wild Turkey 101. It's better than a lot of higher priced "super premium" bourbons. It's a high-rye content bourbon, so it's got quite a spicy kick on the finish. I think you'll find its more distinctive than Jim Beam White and Black and Woodford Reserve (which I find somewhat too calm for my tastes).

Although those prices are brutal - Jim Beam Black and Wild Turkey 101 go for about $22 here in Illinois.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
A nice quote

Which brings me to another topic: my relationship with drinking. Fortunately, I never felt like I needed a drink. (If I did, I would stop drinking.) It’s just something I enjoy and look forward to. I believe it was Steve Beaumont, one of our excellent writers and a guy with great perspective, who likened his relationship with drinking to a appreciating a fine painting on his wall. He certainly doesn’t need the painting, but if it weren’t there he would miss it–and his day might be the lesser for it.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

NightConqueror posted:

I'm a big proponent of Wild Turkey 101. It's better than a lot of higher priced "super premium" bourbons. It's a high-rye content bourbon, so it's got quite a spicy kick on the finish. I think you'll find its more distinctive than Jim Beam White and Black and Woodford Reserve (which I find somewhat too calm for my tastes).

Although those prices are brutal - Jim Beam Black and Wild Turkey 101 go for about $22 here in Illinois.

Not to derail too much here, but I live in Iowa but visit my parents occasionally in Illinois. Is scotch cheaper there too or just bourbon?

I'm new to single malts and had my first taste of Laphroaig 10 at a bar the other night and it was amazing. I also love my Templeton and bourbon but man that smokiness was just so awesome so I was probably going to get a bottle but I can wait a couple weeks if it means saving ~20 bucks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

asaf posted:

...Woodford was too smooth and Roses was harsh. I'm wondering if I did a disservice to myself by not getting the considerably cheaper Wild Turkey 101 or the equally priced Booker's. It's not bad whiskey by any means but with this crudity I'd just as well pick up a bottle of Jim Beam Black at half the price.

Our tastes seem to be opposite, I like Woodford and 4 Roses but dislike Bulleit and Beam; and I really like Wild Turkey products so I would try one of the small sampler bottles before committing.

Bookers is definitely a Beam product and tastes like it. So if you like Jim Beam maybe try it. I hated Bookers.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I am hosting a Tennessee-themed dinner. Since Yazoo doesn't distribute here and Tennessee wine is vile stuff, I figured I'd get a bottle of Tennessee whiskey. I am familiar with Jack Daniel's but know little about Dickel, Prichard's, or that other distillery. Is there a <$40 bottle worth picking up or should I just stick with bourbon?

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

lavaca posted:

I am hosting a Tennessee-themed dinner. Since Yazoo doesn't distribute here and Tennessee wine is vile stuff, I figured I'd get a bottle of Tennessee whiskey. I am familiar with Jack Daniel's but know little about Dickel, Prichard's, or that other distillery. Is there a <$40 bottle worth picking up or should I just stick with bourbon?

The George Dickel line is pretty good stuff. It's a lot more flavorful and less harsh than Jack Daniels.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
We'll have to agree to disagree on Dickel, that stuff is very disappointing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I'm in San Diego for a couple days and I saw a shelf of Johnnie Walker Green Label for $50/bottle. The thread says that Green is the only Walker worth getting and also it's being discontinued. Is it worth picking up a bottle and flying it home?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Is that a liter or a 750? If liter then definitely, if 750 then maybe because I don't know how much it normally runs.

But apart from price, it's definitely a good whisky in it's own right and worth picking up.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
$50 is what I've generally seen a 750 of Green go for in NY. It's not better than the comparably priced single malts driving it out of the market, but it's good at its price point and I'll be sad to see it go.

Related, last night I finished the bottle of Blue I got at duty-free prices ages ago. Not buying that one again unless they cut the price in half or something. Though it does make me curious, if I ever get it in my mind to spend $150 on a bottle of whiskey again, any suggestions?

Eighty Seven
Jun 4, 2010
I bought a gift set of Canadian Club to give it a try. It's incredibly cheap, no doubt, but doesn't have any less complicated a flavor profile than Wisers, Seagrams XO or Crown Royal.

All in all, I'm happy with it. I now have a go-to brand for making Manhattans, New Yorkers and Old Fashioneds, but I'll stick to more flavorful whiskys when I want it neat.

Also, both of the Canadian Club glasses broke cleanly above the base of the glass after pouring a cold drink. Did I get a bad batch or are they all lovely quality?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Killer robot posted:

It's not better than the comparably priced single malts driving it out of the market...

Agreed. At $35-37 it would be a buy but at $50 it's overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

wormil posted:

Agreed. At $35-37 it would be a buy but at $50 it's overpriced.

Green Label was always one of those whiskies I intended to buy but changed my mind at the last minute.

"Oh, I can get Quarter Cask for $5 more?"

"Or Ardbeg 10?"

"Or a Glendronach?"

"Or a Highland Park?"

"gently caress it."