Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Not Dave posted:

I'm pretty certain there has to be a way to recut 0083 to make it fantastic. There's lots of great characters in it, and the basic underlying story beat isn't all that bad. The battle in the last two episodes is fantastically intense, seeing everybody on the end of the rope trying to keep up on both ends. But some how the show ends up just being a gigantic loving train wreck.

I still think it's worth watching, but just expect to be let down at the end and to be annoyed to poo poo whenever Nina does anything.

It's a good story when it's about two gently caress-ups who still have a lot to learn who find themselves in the middle of an intense war. The problem is that so much of what Nina does doesn't make a lot of sense, and then they have that twist at the end, and it makes even less sense, especially since it isn't even hinted at, and then the very end with Kou makes absolutely no sense at all.

It's an entertaining watch though. It's one of those things, when you're watching it, you forget any of the issues with the story, but when you think back on it, you start saying "Wait, this makes literally no sense!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's a good story when it's about two gently caress-ups who still have a lot to learn who find themselves in the middle of an intense war. The problem is that so much of what Nina does doesn't make a lot of sense, and then they have that twist at the end, and it makes even less sense, especially since it isn't even hinted at, and then the very end with Kou makes absolutely no sense at all.

It's an entertaining watch though. It's one of those things, when you're watching it, you forget any of the issues with the story, but when you think back on it, you start saying "Wait, this makes literally no sense!"

In maybe the second episode, Nina is listening in on Gato and Kou talking over the radio and there's some sort of hint she knows who Gato is and that's it. That's all the hints there are. But I agree, the last fifteen minutes of that series are complete nonsensical bullshit. I did like the Zeon side of the story though, and probably would have tried to remember more of it if it didn't turn out that their end goal was incredibly pointless. Cima was really cool, and it turns out she has an interesting backstory that's only in a radio drama. I wish the show had more of her.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I just picture Nina as an emerging newtype that just doesn't understand her new awareness. That or she's a schizo :v:

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
The part that always made me laugh in 0083 is where Gato literally just walks into the Federation hangar and steals a nuke-equipped mobile suit.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Adam Strange posted:

The part that always made me laugh in 0083 is where Gato literally just walks into the Federation hangar and steals a nuke-equipped mobile suit.

You could understand why they didn't guard it better though, the weak point was in the shield.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
You know, wouldn't it have been easier to just shoot a nuke into the Earth, rather than trying to drop a colony on it? I mean, I know it doesn't have the same "flair," but it's not like there's someone out there who would say "You know, dropping a colony onto the earth and killing millions is cool, but a nuclear weapon, that's just wrong man! I can't get behind that!"

However, I really like the exchange in the middle of Episode 2.

Kou: "We're in the middle of a battle, and you're making a big speech?"
Gato: "If you want to be more than a grunt, you have to learn how to see the big picture."
Kou: "Yes sir!"
Gato: "I'm the enemy, YOU IDIOT!"

I don't know why action shows like doing that. It seems like a battlefield is the worst place to start philosophizing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dropping a colony on Earth is orders of magnitude more destructive than any nuclear weapon could be.

Discussion occurs during combat in most action media because combat is just a symbolic representation of the clash between two opposing ideals. The fact that they're fighting is just there to reinforce the clash of motivations between two characters.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 30, 2012

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also a 20 minute fight sequence with nothing but brevity codes, lock sirens and hook-maneuver grunting would be boring

(What am I saying that'd be loving awesome)

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
I just discovered this prequel manga exists: Turn A Gundam: Wind of the Moon

Has anyone read it? I wasn't aware there was any Turn A spin-off material that wasn't straight-up an adaptation (that said, the covers for the novel adaptation are nuts).

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Not Dave posted:

In maybe the second episode, Nina is listening in on Gato and Kou talking over the radio and there's some sort of hint she knows who Gato is and that's it. That's all the hints there are.

This is actually not true. Nina gives literally no hint she knows who Gato is, because the whole twist wasn't even conceptualized until after the director was replaced mid-series, well after the scene you're talking about.

Cemetry Gator posted:

You know, wouldn't it have been easier to just shoot a nuke into the Earth, rather than trying to drop a colony on it? I mean, I know it doesn't have the same "flair," but it's not like there's someone out there who would say "You know, dropping a colony onto the earth and killing millions is cool, but a nuclear weapon, that's just wrong man! I can't get behind that!"

The main thing is that a colony being de-orbited onto a city is orders of magnitude more destructive than a nuke. You have to remember that a colony is about 20 miles long by 4 wide, and even after hitting the atmosphere its going to be moving extremely fast, which means megatons upon megatons of kinetic energy. Also, while nukes may have been more "efficient," its worth remembering that Operation British was mostly meant as a "DO NOT gently caress WITH US" message.

Also nukes are paradoxially much harder to acquire than one of the several abandoned/semi-destroyed colonies left around after the OYW.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Adam Strange posted:

Not to mention the amazing feddie security gets beaten by him hiding under a blanket in the back seat of a jeep.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

mr. stefan posted:

Also nukes are paradoxially much harder to acquire than one of the several abandoned/semi-destroyed colonies left around after the OYW.

I like to imagine that the federation practically gives them away after watching CCA. "Ok guys, if you give me a giant space rock, I promise not to drop any giant space rocks on earth. Do we have a deal?" "Sounds legit."

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

mr. stefan posted:

This is actually not true. Nina gives literally no hint she knows who Gato is, because the whole twist wasn't even conceptualized until after the director was replaced mid-series, well after the scene you're talking about.

I double checked, and its just in the dub. The first time Kou and company catch up to Gato, Keith asks if its the same Gato from their textbook, Burning confirms that he is the Nightmare of Solomon. In the dub Nina says "Did he say Gato?" but in the subtitles (at least the ones I have) she just says "What did he say?"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's kind of funny how Gundam stuff is almost always better dubbed. (Zeta being the major exception, because the Zeta dub is... ughhhhhh.)

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Adam Strange posted:

Post-war Federation, not much is expected of them until they get their rear end wiped later :P

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

It's kind of funny how Gundam stuff is almost always better dubbed. (Zeta being the major exception, because the Zeta dub is... ughhhhhh.)

the dubs for gundam are alright but the original always seem better to me. There are a lot of pretty medicore gundam dubs- seed and destiny come to mind, wing has maybe 4 voices that are actually good and I think most of the UC stuff sounds better in japanese.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

the dubs for gundam are alright but the original always seem better to me. There are a lot of pretty medicore gundam dubs- seed and destiny come to mind, wing has maybe 4 voices that are actually good and I think most of the UC stuff sounds better in japanese.

SEED's dub is inherently better for lacking Hoshi.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

SEED/Destiny dubs are amazing and wonderful and pretty much can salvage that show from "horrible wasteland of garbage" into at least something magical for riffing on.

Plus the guy that voices Kira in english claimed that whenever he had to cry he got kicked in the balls by the voice director to help him. Think of how often Kira cries.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

And because of the presence of dub Rau!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ActionZero posted:

And because of the presence of dub Rau!

Gotta admit, he did do that quiet deliberating tone quite well.

Paper Lion posted:

Plus the guy that voices Kira in english claimed that whenever he had to cry he got kicked in the balls by the voice director to help him. Think of how often Kira cries.

Now I've got a mental image of Kira's dub VO just sighing sadly with acceptance every time the script reads "Kira cries".

Oh, and I have an actual question that's bugged me (keep in mind, I haven't seen the older Gundams, something I really should rectify) - why do mobile suits explode in pink clouds in Seed and 00? Is it something the ones in earlier series did?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 31, 2012

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gotta admit, he did do that quiet deliberating tone quite well.
Yeah, but he was at his absolute best when we was in full blown insane ranting mode like on the Mendel colony or in the final battle.

quote:

Oh, and I have an actual question that's bugged me (keep in mind, I haven't seen the older Gundams, something I really should rectify) - why do mobile suits explode in pink clouds in Seed and 00? Is it something the ones in earlier series did?

Explosions in space are pink. :colbert:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Rau was magnificent and Kira didn't sound like a bleeding whale when he had to cry, but I don't know about the rest. If SRW is anything to go by, I might like Kira's original voice better when he's not attempting to cry (which he admittedly does quite a lot of in the show) - DubKira felt pretty flat and uninvested to me a lot of the time, which felt particularly out of place in the final battle when Rau's spewing ham all over the screen and DubKira's just going "No. Stop. You're a monster. :saddowns:"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hoshi is pretty terrible basically any time he isn't doing 'flat emotionless calculation' or occasionally "bewildered dumb guy." I'm pretty sure he got the role based entirely on his ability to read technobabble incredibly quickly. (He did that poo poo in Tales of Eternia too and it was the only time he managed to give a good line reading in that game.)

Admittedly it doesn't help that he's loving surrounded by better voice actors in SEED. When you're regularly talking with Koyasu or Kotono Mitsuishi or Akira Ishida you're going to look bad. He can't even get into a good screaming fight considering he's up against Seki Tomokazu and if there is one thing that guy can do it is scream like a banshee.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 31, 2012

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Hoshi is pretty terrible basically any time he isn't doing 'flat emotionless calculation' or occasionally "bewildered dumb guy." I'm pretty sure he got the role based entirely on his ability to read technobabble incredibly quickly. (He did that poo poo in Tales of Eternia too and it was the only time he managed to give a good line reading in that game.)

Admittedly it doesn't help that he's loving surrounded by better voice actors in SEED. When you're regularly talking with Koyasu or Kotono Mitsuishi or Akira Ishida you're going to look bad. He can't even get into a good screaming fight considering he's up against Seki Tomokazu and if there is one thing that guy can do it is scream like a banshee.

Whatever, he was awesome in Scryed :colbert:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
-snip

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not a fan of most of the TV voice acting. Ocean Productions is generally a combination of terrible script writing, worse directing, and mediocre use of talent. From the few episodes of 00 I watched, the director got worse at his job and it was too jarring to hear the exact same SEED voices in the 00 voices.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

ImpAtom posted:

Hoshi is pretty terrible basically any time he isn't doing 'flat emotionless calculation' or occasionally "bewildered dumb guy."

He's actually quite good in Higurashi. Of course, given how in that show he needed to several times play his character as going completely mad and at one point clawing his own throat out while speaking, his absolutely horrific method of voicing a crying character was pretty loving useful.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure he got the role based entirely on his ability to read technobabble incredibly quickly.

Kira's ridiculous technobabble rant when the Strike Freedom launched was literally the only good thing his character did in the show.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

So, Hoshi is Keanu Reeves?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I just finished the SEED and Destiny movies.

If you must watch Destiny, watch the movies. There's not much added but there's a lot taken out for the better.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Midjack posted:

I just finished the SEED and Destiny movies.

If you must watch Destiny, watch the movies. There's not much added but there's a lot taken out for the better.

The movies actually did not a bad job cutting out all the extra stuff in the tv shows.

On the other hand, re-watching Gundam Seed Remaster is actually not bad. Some of the scenes are re-done quite nicely.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wfwon posted:

The movies actually did not a bad job cutting out all the extra stuff in the tv shows.

On the other hand, re-watching Gundam Seed Remaster is actually not bad. Some of the scenes are re-done quite nicely.

Out of curiosity, is there any word on Gundam Seed Remaster getting dubbed? I've seen a few bits and it does look much better. Seems to be far less stock footage use and a few new scenes scattered around each episode.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Yeah, on the other hand the remaster has Nicol literally running directly into Kira's ship cutter to make him the Pure Innocent, but Athrun still gets really mad that Kira dared to hold a large, grossly incandescent object out for his friend to belly flop his cockpit on.

gently caress it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gundam SEED compilation movies are hilarious, because they wholey take out Yzak and Dearka for the Desert arc, yet add extra fight scenes for them in the final battle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair Yzak and Dearka added basically nothing to the Desert arc.

One thing I have noticed when watching SEED HD: Dearka's pretty hilarious. Once he gets captured by the Archangel he spends most of his time in the background making fun of everyone. Even when he gets plot it's mostly along the lines of "These guys are pretty stupid buuuut the other side is Literally Hitler so what the gently caress. Maybe I'll get laid."

I hated the guy when I originally watched SEED but he's one of the more redeeming aspects years later. It also explains his Super Robot Wars personality where he's the guy there calling out everyone for being stupid.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Yzak and Dearka are amongst the few characters in SEED that I actually liked.
They have a good dynamic, their reasoning is solid; but they also act their age at times.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
0079's dub is superior because of Richard Ian Cox as Kai. He's absolutely perfect.

The DWG games have some pretty good dub voices with Loran, Gym, Judau (most of the ZZ cast except Beecha really), and Haman as well.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
I always dug Dearka but I felt similarly about Flay on a rewatch. I think she's probably the best character in that show now and is also one of the few that had an interesting character arc. It's pretty weird how she realizes that being a space-racist isn't cool only to die soon after.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Adam Strange posted:

I always dug Dearka but I felt similarly about Flay on a rewatch. I think she's probably the best character in that show now and is also one of the few that had an interesting character arc. It's pretty weird how she realizes that being a space-racist isn't cool only to die soon after.

She had to die, or else she might have interfered with the romance between Beam Jesus and Idol Jesusina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I still think that Destiny could have been good (better) if instead of Athrun mentoring Shinn, it was Yzak and Dearka.

Yzak also had one of the few good lines in destiny, in when he tells athrun to shut up and reminds him that he's the commander.

• Locked thread