Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm not saying they would do that, nor am I saying that they'd change anything if people complained about Smash Brother's hats. Seriously, it was just meant as a humorous example/worst case scenario.

My point is, Nintendo's conservatism is a real thing, yes, but it's also true that a robust online system may be significant extra cost for very little reward. In Racing games and Pokemon, you don't need dedicated game servers and such because it can be done easily enough peer-to-peer. New Super Mario Bros U needs a central server because lag is killer in a fast paced platformer, but that's extra cost for something Nintendo's not inclined to do anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Something I am legitimately terrified of is Namco reporting a year from now that they're having too many disagreements with Sakurai over the competitive/online aspects of the future Smash Bros.

Sakurai actually said that online rankings are only for "certain kinds of people" so he decided not to include them at all since it would make it "less fun for everyone else." He made similar arguments for removing other competitive aspects from previous smash bros. games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It can be monetized by virtue of increasing sales and hype and positive media coverage. It can be monetized further with ads or dlc multiplayer expansions, not that we're necessarily fans of such things.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If Smash Bros was going to be built to get any DLC, it'd probably be in the form of actual additional content- stages, characters, etc- and mostly because of the amount of player demand there was for those sorts of things in Brawl. Not that they've even mentioned being interested in this idea. But I doubt they'd do costume DLC or stuff that messes with game balance. (i would totally buy DLC costumes though)

Animal Crossing City Folk had a number of "DLC" items though- all of which were free, and distributed over time to anyone connected to the internet. And all of them were on-disc as well, which kind of barely makes them DLC stuff. But Nintendo's experimented with those sort of concepts before. Coming out and saying they won't charge for anything in the 3DS Animal Crossing is giving me some hope that they might be taking a smart approach to DLC.

How were the NSMB2 DLC levels? That's their first real DLC thing and if they're wholly new content and reasonably priced for the content you get then that's what we should probably be expecting in the future.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 30, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Something I am legitimately terrified of is Namco reporting a year from now that they're having too many disagreements with Sakurai over the competitive/online aspects of the future Smash Bros.

Sakurai actually said that online rankings are only for "certain kinds of people" so he decided not to include them at all since it would make it "less fun for everyone else." He made similar arguments for removing other competitive aspects from previous smash bros. games.

Jesus, I never even considered this. I'm terrified too now!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'd be legitimately terrified if tournament Smash players' dick-waving were officially sanctioned.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'd be legitimately terrified if tournament Smash players' dick-waving were officially sanctioned.

The Namco team working on real balance and playability would pretty much nip them in the bud I think while attracting more positive less problematic tournament type players.

90% of traditional fighting game players (myself included) suck but don't care they suck because the game is fun anyway.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Nintendo likes to do things their way even if it means lost potential money.

It's a stubborness that annoys me at times but I can also appreciate.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Going online is probably the best business decision for many of their games. However, even if they did it and they did it well I would probably never use any of the online features. I'm not against online game play. I just only enjoy it with certain kinds of games. None of which are made by Nintendo or by companies who are primarily associated with Nintendo.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

If you reach the mid-high ranks on Street Fighter or Tekken you are probably not a complete psychopath.

Reaching the top of an unbalanced game with unofficial rules through unofficial tournaments held at rented out lots or some dude's house and actually dedicating entire days if not weeks to climbing to the top of a ladder that only exists to other people doing the same thing..that attracts a certain kind of filth.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

zenintrude posted:

Here's how the Deluxe Digital Promotion, aka 10% back, will work:

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/30/wii-u-deluxe-digital-promotion-detailed/

Wait, what? This is loving retarded. I don't want your stupid Nintendo Bux, just take 10% off the MSRP. How in the hell did they gently caress this up?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chaltab posted:

New Super Mario Bros U needs a central server because lag is killer in a fast paced platformer, but that's extra cost for something Nintendo's not inclined to do anyway.

You might be able to make this argument seriously for a game like Rayman Legends/Origins, which are fast paced games with much more capable of happening on screen at once at any time. The New Super Mario Bros series is not known for being "fast-paced". Little in the games move at a speed beyond "pedestrian", and it's a deliberate design choice that the games do this. It's the style of the series.

Would it take time to make work well? Absolutely. It's just time Nintendo isn't willing to spend because of their own conservative mindset.

They also don't need to really make a Mario game with online co-op, because the people who buy these games will make even more excuses than Nintendo will to try and justify why it "can't work". Lots of hardcore fighting gamers will tell you that playing a fighter online is a bad idea and it sucks to do so, but thousands of people still do it all the time because it is fun. I can't think of anything any single Mario game that places anywhere near the sort of demand on player reflexes compared to a fighting game.

Literally the best argument Nintendo can come up with against co-op online play in a Mario game is that they don't want their players to experience the game that way. That's fine, but there is literally nothing bad about providing the option to do so in the first place. People like options. It's kinda why Smash Bros is fun for so many different types of gamers, you have options that they can all make use of to play the games the way THEY want to.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Liku posted:

Wait, what? This is loving retarded. I don't want your stupid Nintendo Bux, just take 10% off the MSRP. How in the hell did they gently caress this up?

Wait, you expected the download promo to just mean everything is on sale all the time? Are you familiar with any kind of promotional rewards system ever?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Liku posted:

What exactly is the difference, assuming you buy more than 1 digital item over the next 2 years?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supercar Gautier posted:

Wait, you expected the download promo to just mean everything is on sale all the time? Are you familiar with any kind of promotional rewards system ever?

PlayStation Plus does exactly as I described.

katkillad2 posted:

What exactly is the difference, assuming you buy more than 1 digital item over the next 2 years?

Because this system keeps that reward money locked on the WiiU rather in my bank where I can spend it on whatever I want?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Liku posted:

And it's a paid subscription.

Any promo rewards system is going to involve a membership fee structure, or restrict your rewards to that particular service, or some other model that's similarly designed to actively keep you spending money with the service. Nobody offers eternal unconditional discounts.

I don't even think you can consider the $50 extra cost of the Deluxe much of a membership fee, since it's non-recurring and you're also getting a retail game of $60 value, extra storage, and a few extra accessories in the box.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 30, 2012

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Liku posted:

Because this system keeps that reward money locked on the WiiU rather in my bank where I can spend it on whatever I want?

I guess I just don't see the difference in having $5 dollars in my bank or having $5 dollars off the next game I will inevitably buy. I'm not rich or anything, but if that makes a difference you probably shouldn't be buying new anyways and stick with buying used or doing gamefly.

Edit: Speaking of, i'm considering doing gamefly because there are a ton of Wii games I want to try. Does anyone know if delivery got better in the midwest? Several years ago sometimes it would take 2'ish weeks to get a game meaning I was lucky to get 2 games a month.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 30, 2012

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Do leaderboards always terrify you? Who cares if other people have a higher rank on an online leaderboard according to arbitrarily set standards? That second part isn't directed specifically at you, I just think Sakurai's way of thinking may hold him back from making a game that really can appeal to many people.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Liku posted:

That's how every credit card ever does it. You need to stop being so reactionary.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

My roomie will be getting a Deluxe, so I went with Basic. I'll play Nintendoland anyway, so I figure I'd save $50. Less storage doesn't matter because 8GB and 32GB are both tiny and I have a spare 500GB external HDD sitting around. It would take me a while to build up enough points to make up for that $50, I suspect.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nickoten posted:

Do leaderboards always terrify you? Who cares if other people have a higher rank on an online leaderboard according to arbitrarily set standards? That second part isn't directed specifically at you, I just think Sakurai's way of thinking may hold him back from making a game that really can appeal to many people.

Leaderboards don't terrify me or anything, but I just don't see the lack thereof as something that's crippling Smash. It'd be nice, I guess, but I don't think it improve the game at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lizard Wizard posted:

Leaderboards don't terrify me or anything, but I just don't see the lack thereof as something that's crippling Smash. It'd be nice, I guess, but I don't think it improve the game at all.

I think that there being an existing actual ranking structure would completely marginalize and eliminate the "pro" smash player idiocy at least.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Liku posted:

That's exactly why they do this, they don't want you to spend that $5 on other stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Liku posted:

Doesn't the fact that you're interested in a Premium model imply that you intend to buy lots of digital games in the future anyway? I mean, if it was all about saving money then surely you'd know you could do better than a 10% discount at retail.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

greatn posted:

I think that there being an existing actual ranking structure would completely marginalize and eliminate the "pro" smash player idiocy at least.

No, the "pro" Smash player idiots would just have an actual ranking structure.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Don't you people ever get sick of Smash chat, or "my favourite Nintendo game should do [xyz]" chat, or whatever topics get recycled every day in this thread? Pre-launch console thread, I know, but still...

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Don't you people ever get sick of Smash chat, or "my favourite Nintendo game should do [xyz]" chat, or whatever topics get recycled every day in this thread? Pre-launch console thread, I know, but still...

It's a welcome reprieve from people inventing misfeatures in games that haven't been announced yet, and then complaining about them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lizard Wizard posted:

No, the "pro" Smash player idiots would just have an actual ranking structure.

I was referring to Bobnumetros post

Bobnumetros posted:

If you reach the mid-high ranks on Street Fighter or Tekken you are probably not a complete psychopath.

Reaching the top of an unbalanced game with unofficial rules through unofficial tournaments held at rented out lots or some dude's house and actually dedicating entire days if not weeks to climbing to the top of a ladder that only exists to other people doing the same thing..that attracts a certain kind of filth.

Which is a really good point. A real ranking system and balance from a team like Namco is not going to resemble these people's basement fantasylands in the slightest, and they'll have no power to say "x character is this, x stage is banned, x item is banned" etc because they won't run the scene anymore.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I can't find any data, what's Nintendo Land meant to retail for separately?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

MrLonghair posted:

I can't find any data, what's Nintendo Land meant to retail for separately?

$59.99 http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Land-wii-u/dp/B002I0K3M0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351642841&sr=8-1&keywords=nintendo+land

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Doesn't the fact that you're interested in a Premium model imply that you intend to buy lots of digital games in the future anyway? I mean, if it was all about saving money then surely you'd know you could do better than a 10% discount at retail.

What if you're in the demographic of users who often buy games digitally, but have no use for a credit that goes towards buying games digitally? What then?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I guess this hasn't been posted? IGN writeup on NSMBU that mentions a whole bunch of crap people were hoping for - SMW-style overworld, the different challenges/alternates modes, the ability to create your own Coin Challenge layouts, lots of stuff.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/30/the-redemption-of-new-super-mario-bros-u

Supercar Gautier posted:

What if you're in the demographic of users who often buy games digitally, but have no use for a credit that goes towards buying games digitally? What then?

What?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

I guess this hasn't been posted? IGN writeup on NSMBU that mentions a whole bunch of crap people were hoping for - SMW-style overworld, the different challenges/alternates modes, the ability to create your own Coin Challenge layouts, lots of stuff.

As if I needed any more reasons to buy it...

The Coin Challenge layout edit thing sounds especially awesome!

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

OK, I think I'm finally legit interested in NSMBU now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well just in that one video they are completely reusing yet another song from the previous game.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's joke.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Liku posted:

This has been in the OP since the thread started six weeks ago...

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

greatn posted:

Well just in that one video they are completely reusing yet another song from the previous game.

They re-use all the music from the "new" series in every single one of those videos. Except the boss battle music which might be new but sounds like something out of a Rugrats episode anyway.

How much goddamn effort would it be to make some new tracks for what's shaping up to be a really fun game? Is there seriously anyone who likes this poo poo? At least Sonic 4's bad music was hilarious but this is just irritating.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sorry, there are so many completely sincere posts in that vein that I've started assuming everyone in this thread is serious about everything all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Okay, this caught my attention before, but count me legitimately interested now. Really seems like this game is a lot more inspired than NSMB2, which kind of reeked of :effort:

• Locked thread