Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gilgameshback posted:

The Mauviel stuff that I've seen is incredibly beautiful, but again I don't know if it works any better than regular old steel.

Somebody way back somewhere in the thread owned mauviel and said the handles got hot and the saucepans would tip over at the drop of a hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
New knife. Tojiro DP sujihike 270mm. Hawt.

I've got 360 6oz tenderloins to portion on Thursday, I shall give a status report then.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

According to the people who owned them, they said they didn't see much difference between All Clad's aluminum core and copper core stuff.

What do you have already? Are you looking for something novel?

I currently use cuisinart chef's classic pots and pans, and I love them to death. But, they're about 10 years old and a big mingy.

yeah, I guess I'm looking for something a bit novel, which is originally why I wanted copper. you know, something that would just look loving boss hanging in my FutureKitchenDreamHouse 10 years down the line. and hopefully be a bit more responsive/evenheating and generally perform a bit better than my already beloved chef's classic pans.

Steve Yun posted:

Somebody way back somewhere in the thread owned mauviel and said the handles got hot and the saucepans would tip over at the drop of a hat

yeah some of those look like they have heavy cast iron handles, but they also have ones with stainless handles. don't know which one was referenced in that last conversation.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I have a couple calphalon tri-ply stock pots I picked up at Marshall's as "defective". They're just as good as all-clad(we use some all-clad at work), at a reduced price. They've got a nice look about them, and they'll last you a lifetime if you care for them properly.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've given up on tri-ply cookware for my smooth top electric range. Two Calphalon tri-ply pans have warped badly enough to wobble around and suck at transferring heat. I treated them really well and never shocked them thermally, but smooth ranges are pretty unforgiving and cookware has to be perfectly flat. The only stuff that works well for me is super thick aluminum disc cookware (Farberware Millenium is really nice), or cast iron.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Thermal shock can also be cranking it to high and having a cold pan on the element. Heats rapidly and warps. You should really never need to crank the heat unless you're stir frying or searing, in which case you'd use cast iron.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know which All Clads I have, but with the smaller saucepans you definitely have to be careful about setting them on the grates on a stove because they will fall over.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
All Clad's copper core line is worthless for it's copper properties. I don't know the exact thickness, but because it's copper surrounded by aluminum surrounded by stainless steel, the benefit of the copper is likely nil. They are pretty pieces of cookware, but the copper lines on the bottom aren't flush with the rest of the pan, so keeping them untarnished is extremely frustrating. For thermal conductivity and ease of cleaning, you'd be better off with the MC2 or LTD lines, which have more aluminum that the standard All Clad (or d5). However, they won't work with induction.

I have other copper cookware, both tin lined and stainless, and they're a dream to cook with. Keeping them shiny is a chore, but I perversely enjoy the ritual. Almost like steeling a knife or setting up your mis en place. It's strangely satisfying.

Still, your best-bet, no fuss choice is the standard All Clad. They just simply work. Try to find some seconds at a TJ Maxx/Homegoods and test one out for a while.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

mindphlux posted:

but so I'm torn as to what nice rear end cookware I could make our poor, poor parents purchase on our behalf. The all-clad copper core stuff looks really nice, but they're quite expensive... or should I just give up on my dreams of copper and get aluminum/stainless?

We went All-Clad D5 and it's wonderful.

Everyone we talked to said "save the money, buy the D5 over the copper core".

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

logical fallacy posted:

I have other copper cookware, both tin lined and stainless, and they're a dream to cook with. Keeping them shiny is a chore, but I perversely enjoy the ritual. Almost like steeling a knife or setting up your mis en place. It's strangely satisfying.

well goddamnit tell me about that poo poo then! :>

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
I have some Mauviel with the cast iron handle and stainless steel lining. If I remember correctly, they're 3mm copper. But the majority of my copper cookware is Baumalau. I found a few pieces a a Homegoods (no regular TJ Maxxes appeared to carry them). They're ~2.5mm thick, but nothing was more than $50, so I picked up every variation I could find at every Homegoods in the area. Tuesday Mornings carry the line too (in boxes, so they're a bit more difficult to find), but they charge more ~$160 for 2 pieces vs. $20-50 each at Homegoods. The pans are tin lined, so you've got to be more careful with heat settings and basically treat them like nonstick cookware (no metal utensils), but if you've never cooked with tin linings before, they're very nice. They will discolor, so if you're picky about appearance it might not be for you, but otherwise I really like the tin lining. Nothing sticks unless you really burn something. I've made omelets in the fry pans without anything sticking, and caramelizing onions is great because you don't have to worry about the sugars sticking and burning. Still, they do take some adjustment because you're using lower heat settings and very little preheating. I've ruined one pan's lining because I wasn't watching and had all the liquid boil out. So even though the tin is nicer to use, I'd probably pick the stainless steel lining if I had the money. Not as nice to cook with, but a lot more durable. You can get the pieces retinned, but unless you have a local place that will do it, shipping is too drat expensive to make the whole process worth it.

So if you're going to spend $$$ go with Mauviel (I like the cast handles, but I think the newer stainless handle line now has the same copper thickness. The older ones were thinner), Bourgeat, or Falk Culinar. Falk has rolled edges, something I like on the newer All-Clad, so they might be worth checking out. I think only one place sells them (copperpans.com), but they have a "try me" piece available - a 1.5 qt saucier for $145 or $190 with the lid (up to you if you want to spend an extra $45 for a matching lid). I've never used any Falk, but they get excellent reviews. Price wise I think they're more expensive than Mauviel or Bourgeat.

Yet another option would be if you live in Colorado. I can't remember the name of the place, but it's a shop that does retinning and also sells copper pans. I'd have to google around to figure out the name, but they were hand-hammered pans with copper rivets, and the prices were pretty good if I remember correctly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I go to Denver once a year, so I'd really like to know where this is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

logical fallacy posted:

Yet another option would be if you live in Colorado. I can't remember the name of the place, but it's a shop that does retinning and also sells copper pans. I'd have to google around to figure out the name, but they were hand-hammered pans with copper rivets, and the prices were pretty good if I remember correctly.

Perhaps you're thinking of these guys? Somewhat limited selection, but not a bad price. No lids, though, which may or may not be important to everyone.

http://www.rockymountainretinning.com/forsale.htm

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
I think that is the place. I thought they had more stuff, but it's been awhile so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Whatever you get though be aware that your copper pans may not work with induction... I know that the main-line Mauviel stuff doesn't, but they also make some induction-friendly models (I don't know how that works).

EDIT: Whoops, logical fallacy already said it. My b. For registry stuff I'd be a lot more interested in getting some really cool limoges china. The dining room is for pretty and that's a great registry money-sink.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 1, 2012

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I've had the inkling to get some non-non-stick saucepans, since the only ones I have right now are Calphalon non-stick in the 4 and 8 quart sizes, plus a horribly warped cheap 2 quart. All clad is certainly appealing, but I don't need a set - just the individual pan or two. But from the pricing on amazon, the sets are massively discounted relative to individual pieces (37% right now), which is kind of aggravating. Where do you folks usually go to get your equipment?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Velius posted:

I've had the inkling to get some non-non-stick saucepans, since the only ones I have right now are Calphalon non-stick in the 4 and 8 quart sizes, plus a horribly warped cheap 2 quart. All clad is certainly appealing, but I don't need a set - just the individual pan or two. But from the pricing on amazon, the sets are massively discounted relative to individual pieces (37% right now), which is kind of aggravating. Where do you folks usually go to get your equipment?

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-77-10-Stainless-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B00008CM68/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1351951318&sr=1-1

I went with: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ND7B8S/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00J

I love em.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Places like Marshall's, Ross, Burlington, etc. will often have individual pots and pans at half off or more because they have cosmetic defects.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Not sure if this would be better in the Coffee thread or here - Has anyone has any experience with the Aeropress?

We have a Rancilio Silvia at home and love it, but when we travel it's depressing to be stuck with bad hotel coffee. My husband's birthday is coming up, so I wanted to get him a fun toy to use to make great tasting coffee on the go.

I'm also confused by the pictures and trying to figure out if these are different or the same items, because when you search on Amazon you get different listings - the one listed as the "AeroPress by Aerobie" looks crappy in the pics, the one that says "AeroPress by Aeropress" looks much nicer, but I wonder if they are the same and just different shots/angles.

If they ARE the same I'd like to get the one that comes with the travel case (Aerobie) but don't want to get burned on a knockoff.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...2Ck%3Aaeropress

Thoughts?

See the difference in appearance:

Aerobie:

AeroPress:

EVG fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 5, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They're the same. Regarding opinions on how good it is, you should probably ask in the coffee thread

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Looks like they're the same. I have one and it makes some of the best tasting coffee you can get and the cleanup is pretty painless.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

They're the same. Regarding opinions on how good it is, you should probably ask in the coffee thread

And prepared to get yelled at for not roasting your own beans.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

EVG posted:

Aeropress

I have an Aeropress and I think its fantastic. (A Silvia+Rocky too, actually.) The coffee tastes great, it's easy to make, and cleanup is really simple. All you really ever need to buy after the initial investment is filters, though you can also get a reusable metal filter. If you have an electric kettle at your desk, lunch room, or hotel room you can always have good coffee.

If you get one, consider the reverse method as well.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
After grinding spices, we dropped our spice mill and the cap/lid shattered. It was older than I was and still worked great. We'd dropped it before but was able to repair the lid with super glue as it was a really clean break. We weren't so lucky this time and it makes me sad.

So now I need a new one. I imagine I can get one for cheap from walmart, but it won't have a lot of heavy use so I'm mostly wondering if anyone has any suggestions/things to look out for. Amazon links are a-ok too.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

ChetReckless posted:

I have an Aeropress and I think its fantastic. (A Silvia+Rocky too, actually.) The coffee tastes great, it's easy to make, and cleanup is really simple. All you really ever need to buy after the initial investment is filters, though you can also get a reusable metal filter. If you have an electric kettle at your desk, lunch room, or hotel room you can always have good coffee.

If you get one, consider the reverse method as well.

Awesome, exactly what I was hoping to hear. Looks like for the one pic on Amazon they edited the image to remove the numbers from the side of the plastic and make it look cleaner/nicer. Sneaky bastards.

Thanks again, ordering this now.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

How does an aeropress compare to a french press?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Gotta get used to it some time if you want to stay in GWS

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They're not that bad about that. Now, not using a deburrer WILL get you knifed.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Saint Darwin posted:

They're not that bad about that. Now, not using a deburrer WILL get you knifed.

I would argue that's the spergiest thread in GWS. I once got probated for questioning whether or not someone was serious for suggesting that the problem with a guy's coffee was he used the wrong gauge needle to stir the grounds prior to brewing. (The answer is they are always serious in that thread)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

taqueso posted:

How does an aeropress compare to a french press?

It uses air instead of France?

No really, good question. Anyone here want to answer? I'm scared of the other thread now. :ohdear:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Velius posted:

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Places like Marshall's, Ross, Burlington, etc. will often have individual pots and pans at half off or more because they have cosmetic defects.

These places are great. I also love the outlet mall. I live reasonably close to the giant San Marcos, TX outlet mall and they have tons of cookware places in there. Lately I've been picking up refurbished Calphalon items at crazy stupid prices. Last week I updated a bunch of bakeware items at 7.99 each, and bought an extra Unison saucepan as we use the hell out of our 3qt and it's nice to have a second. Last week I stopped by and ended up walking out with a Unison roasting pan for 70 bucks.

I bought a ton of the Unison stuff on Memorial Day, they had an extra 40% off their clearance/refurb stuff plus another 10% for joining their mailing list. Bonus it's dishwasher safe, but it's so easy to clean it takes a few seconds to just wipe them out with soapy water.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

EVG posted:

No really, good question. Anyone here want to answer? I'm scared of the other thread now. :ohdear:

It's been asked in the thread (multiple times) but I mostly just remember them saying it was similar but different. The actual posts may have details to gleam, but I don't recall them well enough to go searching for it.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

EVG posted:

Don't be afraid to ask it in the coffee thread, we're nice people. If it's not answered in the OP then do it.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Comic posted:

It's been asked in the thread (multiple times) but I mostly just remember them saying it was similar but different. The actual posts may have details to gleam, but I don't recall them well enough to go searching for it.

A french press pushes a fine metal mesh down through the coffee and water, leaving behind an imperfectly filtered coffee that is a similar strength to drip coffee, but with a better taste. However depending on your grind size it can contain a lot of small particles that make a sludge in the bottom of the cup but also contribute to a smoother mouthfeel.

The aeropress forces the coffee and water mix through a fine paper particulate filter, and produces a (nearly) completely filtered espresso-strength coffee that can be diluted with hot water to a brewed strength coffee. I'd rate the taste as being slightly better, and more consistent, than a french press, but personally I prefer french press coffee; aeropress coffee seems just slightly watery in comparison. Both are an improvement over drip coffee, and if you're used to drip, the aeropress is probably the better option.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doh004 posted:

Don't be afraid to ask it in the coffee thread, we're nice people. If it's not answered in the OP then do it.

oh wow. you're a coffee thread person, and a chickencheese person. this is just. wow. I mean ; woah. its just so amazing.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

One Swell Foop posted:

espresso-strength coffee

I will suggest not comparing aeropress to espresso in the thread, however. I remember that much. Espresso is a very big deal.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mindphlux posted:

oh wow. you're a coffee thread person, and a chickencheese person. this is just. wow. I mean ; woah. its just so amazing.

I go both ways baby :wink:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Coffee, chickencheese, cigars, what don't I know you like that starts with C

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

EVG posted:

Not sure if this would be better in the Coffee thread or here - Has anyone has any experience with the Aeropress?

I have both. I think one of them is an earlier version in a bit different plastic. The Aerobie has hazed up a bit from dishwashing and usage, but it's nothing but cosmetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
So are the Fissler pressure cookers that are on Woot right now worth the price tag? %50 off seems like a pretty decent deal.

• Locked thread