Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I don't see how they can do the Thrawn Trilogy without heavy modifications. Harrison Ford has made it very clear that Han Solo is one character he never wants to play again. I'm thinking the new movies will be entirely new stories, and the books will be retconned into oblivion.
Aww, I wanted to watch the geriatric big 3 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

Can Disney now remake Star Wars Galaxies?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

thrawn527 posted:

I don't see how they can do the Thrawn Trilogy without heavy modifications. Harrison Ford has made it very clear that Han Solo is one character he never wants to play again. I'm thinking the new movies will be entirely new stories, and the books will be retconned into oblivion.

pixar pls

In all seriousness, though, the options seem to be limited. The fact that it's "Episode 7" implies two three. Three things:
1. It won't be a reboot from full scratch; Eps 1-6 are still going to be canon.
2. It probably won't be the "far future"; it'd be weird to call it 7 and have no close ties to Episode 6's timeframe.
3. It won't take the EU for granted; it'd be very strange if they don't keep it accessible and understandable to someone who's only watched the movies.

With that in mind, the options are:
1. Same actors, 30 years on, casted into their old roles inasmuch as is possible.
2. New actors, chosen to look as close to the old actors but older as possible.
3. Pixar!

I feel like 1 is the most likely (do you really think Disney couldn't find enough money to hand to Harrison Ford to get him to Han Solo it up again, given that Lucas managed to pull him back for that lovely Indy movie a couple years ago?), but I would love to see 3 and have them go hog wild with the Sci Fi and not be constrained by live actors.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I look forward to Pixar giving us the animated adventures of Bren Derlin

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sure am tired of all these star wars

edit: I honestly wouldn't mind them just having a second shot at I-III instead.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

If they get directors like Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott, or Neill Blomkamp on board I'll be much happier about this.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

alg posted:

If they get directors like Peter Jackson, Ridley Scott, or Neill Blomkamp on board I'll be much happier about this.

They're taking the Ewoks to Isengard!

oh christ how long before there's midgets in ewok outfits running around disneyland

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

alg posted:

:nolan:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

thrawn527 posted:

They could always get different actors. It worked alright for the Star Trek remake.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I was not expecting this news at all. I'm cautiously optimistic, although I am a little sad about all the continuity that will be overwritten.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

I imagine Peter Mayhew will be sitting next to his phone for the next few months...

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Duckula posted:

I imagine Anthony Daniels will be sitting next to his phone for the next few months...

ftfy

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is really lovely for Dark Horse.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just had a conversation with a co-worker about the sequel trilogy & the EU. I came to the conclusion that Disney/Lucasfilm will basically say, "OK everybody, the EU doesn't exist as far as these films are concerned. The general public is completely unaware that any of it exists, so we're not going to force the new movies into a preexisting framework that will make them suck."

I think they'll only consider the six films as canon. Which is what they should do to get the best possible product on the screen.

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

:stonk:

Oh god, no. I'm not optimistic at all. It's going to be poo poo, I just know it.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm really just happy that we finally get to the The Epic Continues come to the big screen: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Epic_Continues

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is really lovely for Dark Horse.

Not really!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41930

quote:

The entertainment news of the day is undoubtedly Disney's $4.05 billion purchase of Lucasfilm and the announcement of a new "Star Wars" film planned for release in 2015 -- but what does Disney's newest acquisition mean for "Star Wars" comics? Dark Horse Comics is the current steward of the "Star Wars" license when it comes to comics and graphic novels, and today President Mike Richardson stated that "Star Wars" will continue to have a home at Dark Horse for "the near future."

"Dark Horse and LucasFilm have a strong partnership which spans over 20 years, and has produced multiple characters and story lines which are now part of the Star Wars lore," Richardson said. "'Star Wars' will be with us for the near future. Obviously, this deal changes the landscape, so we'll all have to see what it means for the future."

Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm does indeed change the comics landscape, especially considering that Disney currently has a comics company under its umbrella -- Marvel Comics. And there's historical precedent fans are already looking at with regard to future comics based in a galaxy far, far away: When Disney acquired Marvel three years ago, it ended up transitioning Disney-branded comics from production at BOOM! Studios over to Marvel. While news of the Lucasfilm acquisition is still fresh, the possibility certainly exists that Disney will move production of "Star Wars"-themed comics over to Marvel further down the line.

But for now, "Star Wars" stays at Dark Horse -- which means fans can still look forward to Brian Wood's "Star Wars" ongoing in January 2013.

Comics aren't the only licensed property yet to be affected by the acquisition. IGN reports LucasArts, the video game division of Lucasfilm, as stating "all projects are business as usual" and the company is "excited about all the possibilities that Disney brings."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars levels appearing in Kingdom Hearts is probably inevitable now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

taco_fox posted:

:stonk:

Oh god, no. I'm not optimistic at all. It's going to be poo poo, I just know it.

But even if it is poo poo, it'll still be entertaining poo poo :razz:

"Rise and shine, Mr. Plinkett. Rise...and shine."

EDIT: I just imagine Fake Palpatine/Ian McDiarmand doing the voice of G-Man, and it's honestly pretty sweet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

thrawn527 posted:

CGI animation and very good voice actors doing their Luke/Leia/Han impressions.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
If Tron Legacy can (badly) do a completely CGI 1980s vintage Jeff Bridges, why can't DisneyArts (badly) do CGI 1980s vintage Mark/Harrison/Carrie?

Edit: oh hey there post right above me, guess I should read to the end of the thread before replying.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So, does this mean that the new Star Wars movies are going to be made by a different studio?

If yes, it's gonna be mighty weird to see Star Wars without the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning :ohdear:

Lex Talionis
Feb 6, 2011
JJ Abrams' Star Trek movie rebooting the ST timeline didn't ruin Next Generation or Deep Space 9. New movies can do what they like with the post-ROTJ timeline...Zahn's trilogy and whatever other books you like from the EU will still be there for us.

Frankly the prequels already did a number on the cloning stuff Zahn did in those books.

On another note, it's nice to see some people saying they liked the newspaper comics stuff in the old thread since those were my posts. I've been busy doing other things (wrote a novel, for instance) but if a new thread gets underway I'd like to continue them. I think I only got about halfway through.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

SirPhoebos posted:

So, does this mean that the new Star Wars movies are going to be made by a different studio?

If yes, it's gonna be mighty weird to see Star Wars without the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning :ohdear:

Wow I hadn't thought about that. Actually, Fox distributed the films, they didn't make them. Still, that will be odd. No fanfare, no spotlights. I can't imagine Disney will let anyone else distribute.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Guys I just heard the news. :stare: I thought we'd have to wait for Lucas to die, but this is a much less morbid way forward.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Lex Talionis posted:

On another note, it's nice to see some people saying they liked the newspaper comics stuff in the old thread since those were my posts. I've been busy doing other things (wrote a novel, for instance) but if a new thread gets underway I'd like to continue them. I think I only got about halfway through.

Awesome on both counts, please go ahead if the thread returns.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

According to one of the press releases, as part of the deal Disney XD is going to be the "new home for Star Wars TV". Wonder if this means the Clone Wars show is going to get wrapped up soon or just transferred. In either case I imagine it means the live action show is probably much less likely now.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Let me just say that I prefer this thread to the one over in CD. Expanded Universe nerds are the best people to hang with.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Hello Towel posted:

Let me just say that I prefer this thread to the one over in CD. Expanded Universe nerds are the best people to hang with.

It's just because we've got like 800x the amount of good content to wipe out the prequel memories with. Imagine if the last content you got, Star Wars-wise, was Episode 3. :smith:

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

You know who would totally come back for more Star Wars? Billy Dee.

Star Wars: Episode 7: The Rebel's Redemption

The story centers on Lando Calrissian, retired General of the Rebel Alliance. The Galactic Civil war left the galaxy in financial ruin, and the chaos caused by the Emperors death was not immediately remedied by the fledgling New Republic. Exploiting the local economy of the Sullustian sector, Lando has been able to set up a decent financial empire for himself. Unfortunately, due to reduced government control, business is often dirty and Lando has been locked in battle with several Hutt clans. As he is now getting old, Lando is trying to go legitimate. However, just as he plans to get out, he finds out that over the years several of his high ranking underlings have been siphoning off large sums of money. They are ex-imperials, and have used the money and their contacts to create a terrible weapon which they intend to turn on Coruscant. Now, teaming up with a retired freighter pilot and his sentient, alien mouse co-pilot Mickey, Lando must skirt known space on an adventure to prove he is still a hero. He might even bump into some Jedi along the way, but will they be helpful to a man with a shady past?

Star Wars: Episode 8: The Dark Facade

Lando Calrissian is once again a hero of the New Republic. He has received a Medal of Valour from Princess Jaina Organa Solo and has returned to military life as a defense and financial consultant on Coruscant, using his knowledge gained in previous years to help strengthen democracy for the galaxy. When a trusted aid, Jar Jar Goofy warns him of a force vision he has had of extra-galactic beings, Lando dismisses him. Then, the New Republic loses contact with a research base in the Unknown Regions. The New Republic denies the base ever existed, but Lando knew an old friend, a Jedi Master named Luke Skywalker was stationed there. Lando seeks the archives and finds that any information regarding the base has been deleted. Gathering a rag-tag band of his former associates, and taking with him the new Rogue Squadron, now lead by Gavin Darklighter, Lando seeks out this new threat. But what about the secret Jedi team seeking their missing master?

Star Wars: Episode 9: The New Rebellion

With the help of the Jedi and Rogue Squadron, General Lando Calrissian has averted extra-galactic war with the Yuuzhan Vong, but has found no trace of Skywalker. Returning to his post on Coruscant, he is contacted by one of the Vong generals. The reason they have come to this galaxy is because the High Priest of their world had visions of a conquering army of the New Republic marching on their world. Lando begins his investigation only to find that many senators are in fact pawns of a Sith Lord from the unknown regions,the same one responsible for Skywalker's disappearance! Under suspicion of treason, Lando is forced into the underground on Coruscant where he deals with local crime lords, outlaws and miscreants in order to stage a raid on the Senate and expose the corruption. With the entire New Republic fleet behind him, Lando must find Skywalker and confront this mysterious Sith Lord, Darth Darkwingduck. In this stunning conclusion to the third Star Wars trilogy, the fate of two galaxies hangs in the balance!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Lincoln posted:

I think they'll only consider the six films as canon. Which is what they should do to get the best possible product on the screen.

On the one hand, Attack of the Clones, on the other hand, bugnest orgies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Ursine Asylum posted:

It's just because we've got like 800x the amount of good content to wipe out the prequel memories with. Imagine if the last content you got, Star Wars-wise, was Episode 3. :smith:
See, and I think the opposite is true. I think we've been dealing with EU poo poo like Kevin J Anderson and bug orgies for so long that the mere possibility that something decent is on the horizon gives us hope.

I might have become jaded over the years. But I'm in the strange position of looking forward to the future of Star Wars.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Let's Read Star Wars Episode II is live!:toot:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
How much was Disney involved in the Marvel movies? Considering what we got with the Marvel Movieverse, and assuming Disney was heavily involved in them, I think we can afford to be optimistic about a new trilogy.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

I physically shuddered at the thought of that. Poor poor bastards.

go back 2 Texaco
May 21, 2007

The saddest group of Star Wars nerds is by far The Clone Wars group.

No one has even posted about this in the TVIV thread :(

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Sometimes I want to jump in and defend Episode III, but then I remember that every time I see it I fast-forward and only watch the last 30 minutes or so..:ohdear:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Episode III is still lightyears ahead of the other two prequels. But that paradoxically makes it the most frustrating for me because you can see if someone even halfway competent had come in it could have been a really great movie.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lex Talionis posted:

JJ Abrams' Star Trek movie rebooting the ST timeline didn't ruin Next Generation or Deep Space 9. New movies can do what they like with the post-ROTJ timeline...Zahn's trilogy and whatever other books you like from the EU will still be there for us.

They took the alternate timeline route which to me is a bit of a cop-out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

See, and I think the opposite is true. I think we've been dealing with EU poo poo like Kevin J Anderson and bug orgies for so long that the mere possibility that something decent is on the horizon gives us hope.

I might have become jaded over the years. But I'm in the strange position of looking forward to the future of Star Wars.

Honestly, Zahn and Allston make the EU worth every bug-orgy-book-that-I-skipped-because-ew. Although to also be fair, I don't want to bring up the word "headcanon" like a tumblrite, but my days are made better by pretending half the NJO and everything after that just don't exist.

WhyteRyce posted:

They took the alternate timeline route which to me is a bit of a cop-out.

I feel like they wanted to full reboot but felt constrained to bring in some of the old guard in the original roles, and hamhanded Spock in.