Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

So Feldman has an infection on his toe. We gotta soak it 3 times a day in warm water and Epsom salt, and give him medicine twice a day. Since he licks and chews it, he gets to wear a Cone of Shame!

He hates it and wants it off, but alas!

Given up, he simply waits for death to come.

Bonus sleeping derp face:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Lucy is the epitome of the fashion club. Skinny, scornful and an almost rat-like cunning.

Bearcat, eeewwwwwwww

Eeeewwwwwwwww

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Psyche has been biting at her tail the last few days and we finally figured out that she has a decent size sore (possibly from a tick bite?) and wasn't just being her usual OCD self. So we're taking her to the vet this afternoon. Right about when the winds from the hurricane are supposed to pick up in this area.

Great timing, dog.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
:negative: I was out basseting at the weekend and there were these two beddy/greyhound and beddy/whippet/collie/deerhound 4 month old puppies and they were both hairy and oh my god

Remind me again why I don't need another puppy right now ;-;

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
^^: And no pics! Whattttt.

:3:~~~~

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Kerfuffle posted:

^^: And no pics! Whattttt.

:3:~~~~

I want one of those so badly, but I don't think they're the dog for me.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Maybe he'll grow into these ears someday.

Max seems to have come to an epiphany that this annoying little whiney thing isn't going to be leaving any time soon, so he might as well make peace with it and be friends :3: I have to admit I was a little worried yesterday but they're becoming fast buddies. I can't wait till Pistol is neutered and vetted so I can let them roam around and play together all the time.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Maybe he'll grow into these ears someday.

Max seems to have come to an epiphany that this annoying little whiney thing isn't going to be leaving any time soon, so he might as well make peace with it and be friends :3: I have to admit I was a little worried yesterday but they're becoming fast buddies. I can't wait till Pistol is neutered and vetted so I can let them roam around and play together all the time.

Since ACDs are prone to same sex aggression and dog aggression in general I would be really careful about leaving them alone unsupervised. I want to see pictures of them being frecklebuddies though :3: He is super cute with his airplane ears and eyebrows.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

If I was a crazier person I'd say ship that beaut on over to me.

But I am not that crazy, otherwise those collie/JRT puppies I saw for sale lately would have all been mine :allears:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Have some animal pix, guys.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Since ACDs are prone to same sex aggression and dog aggression in general I would be really careful about leaving them alone unsupervised. I want to see pictures of them being frecklebuddies though :3: He is super cute with his airplane ears and eyebrows.

Are they really prone to DA? Sometimes Bailey gets a little freaked out if he's around a lot of dogs and plays dog police (or throws what I would call a temper tantrum) but I knew about the same sex aggression thing.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

Are they really prone to DA? Sometimes Bailey gets a little freaked out if he's around a lot of dogs and plays dog police (or throws what I would call a temper tantrum) but I knew about the same sex aggression thing.

They are, although in my experience it usually starts with just OCD dog police behavior that can escalate if the other dogs aren't playing along. It starts with just fun and games but they aren't going to back down if the other dog pushes back. It seems less common in farm/working dogs because a rancher wouldn't ever want to deal with a dog starting fights non-stop. I've seen a number of show breeders talking about fights within their groups though.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

They are, although in my experience it usually starts with just OCD dog police behavior that can escalate if the other dogs aren't playing along. It starts with just fun and games but they aren't going to back down if the other dog pushes back. It seems less common in farm/working dogs because a rancher wouldn't ever want to deal with a dog starting fights non-stop. I've seen a number of show breeders talking about fights within their groups though.

Yeah that makes sense and it sort of goes along with what I've seen. Mostly Bailey acts out when there's large groups of dogs and he's tried to play police but doesn't really get that the other dogs think he's playing chase. Its never violent, but he gets kind of weirdly...rapey? with other dogs when he's had enough.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Pistol got loose from his sequestered area and much playing ensued so I think we're okay. The only room Max plays dog police about is my bedroom, apparently only he's allowed in there. He was positively offended when Pistol jumped up on my bed. We're going to work on that. I've taken him to the dog park many times now and he's never shown any sort of dog aggression, he's usually the one jumping into fights to break them up.

I was working with Pistol teaching how leashes work and he was doing really well until a small herd of children came running out of nowhere at him and now he's mildly traumatized. We'll try again tomorrow. He's not very food motivated so I have to find some other way to reward him.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Pistol got loose from his sequestered area and much playing ensued so I think we're okay. The only room Max plays dog police about is my bedroom, apparently only he's allowed in there. He was positively offended when Pistol jumped up on my bed. We're going to work on that. I've taken him to the dog park many times now and he's never shown any sort of dog aggression, he's usually the one jumping into fights to break them up.

I was working with Pistol teaching how leashes work and he was doing really well until a small herd of children came running out of nowhere at him and now he's mildly traumatized. We'll try again tomorrow. He's not very food motivated so I have to find some other way to reward him.

Does he like playing tug?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

wtftastic posted:

Does he like playing tug?

Haven't tried it yet, I need to get him his own set of toys. Max's toys are a little beat up (understatement of the century) and he doesn't like sharing them.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Haven't tried it yet, I need to get him his own set of toys. Max's toys are a little beat up (understatement of the century) and he doesn't like sharing them.

I can't blame him!

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

In my experience it has a lot to do with how they're kept. If they're given enough exercise and an outlet for their herding drive, then they're a lot nicer around other dogs. If they're not given that, then they can get very aggressive very quickly.

Also as a general rule they do not tolerate rudeness. Most of the fights my dogs have had with others is when the other dog comes up and jumps on them/gets right in their faces. That's part of the whole dog police thing though, they know the rules and everyone else better fall in line or there will be consequences.

Aquatic Giraffe, Pistol is a handsome boy. :3: I hope it works out with him and Max.

It probably is wiser to keep them separated when you're gone at this point. Alternately, you can just get them both sets of the turtle armor Invalid Octopus posted.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahaha yesterday my mom wanted to watch some speed skating so she sat on the couch in TERRA'S SEAT and Terra went nuts, sitting in front of my mom, shoving her head under her knee and whining that "that's my seat, get out of my seat, my spot"

Stupid spoiled dog has to learn to share her seat.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Huh... Well then. :stare:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

:stare:

What the hell is that

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I'm not sure what is happening or why can someone explain?

e: with that subforum I mean. so many questions

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
lmao

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That forum owns.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

2tomorrow posted:

Aquatic Giraffe, Pistol is a handsome boy. :3: I hope it works out with him and Max.

It probably is wiser to keep them separated when you're gone at this point. Alternately, you can just get them both sets of the turtle armor Invalid Octopus posted.

When I'm gone for the day Pistol goes in a crate behind a gate. I left him out of the crate (but still behind the gate) when I went out for about 20 minutes earlier and Max somehow opened the gate and the only casualty I came home to was a destroyed stuffed something.

Speaking of stuffed somethings, I offered Pistol a toy that Max NEVER plays with ever, and Max still decided he couldn't have it so he chased Pistol away from it, picked the toy up, and put it away. What a jerk.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

notsoape posted:

:negative: I was out basseting at the weekend and there were these two beddy/greyhound and beddy/whippet/collie/deerhound 4 month old puppies and they were both hairy and oh my god

Remind me again why I don't need another puppy right now ;-;

Because I need the deerhoundy one. Will rearrange life to fit.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I didn't see this in the nutrition thread, dunno if it affects anyone here, but there's a new dog food recall for possible mold contamination. Very specific: "Wellness Super5Mix Small Breed Adult Dry Dog Food in a 12lb package and a "Best If Used By" Date Code of 8/18/2013."

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Okay guys, it's my first night being aware of being the new PI mod, and I'm very disappointed in the lack of drama. I demand that someone start a fight.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Guys, I have an infestation.

A land shark infestation.

I ended up saying "gently caress it" to sequestering Pistol until he got neutered since they were trying to play anyway. They just played together for literally two hours straight and had an absolute blast and now they are both passed out.

Related: what's the best way to get dog slobber out of microfiber?

(here's another picture because he's so drat cute)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

Okay guys, it's my first night being aware of being the new PI mod, and I'm very disappointed in the lack of drama. I demand that someone start a fight.

They made that Don't Be A Dick rule and it's all Moms all the time now, moms, pets, moms posting about pets, moms posting about pets while being confused by the internet

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Pile of Kittens posted:

Cats are better than dogs and everyone who disagrees is a butt. :colbert:

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
pit bulls suck, all dogs should strive to be more like pugs

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Yesssss. You're all banned.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Superconsndar posted:

moms posting about pets while being confused by the internet

:saddowns:

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Invalid Octopus posted:

pit bulls suck, all dogs should strive to be more like pugs

*dissertation*

*ban*

*dissertation on being banned*

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
i have an outdoor cat

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

I literally breed animals in my backyard. Dozens of them.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

notsoape posted:

i have an outdoor cat

someone dumped a cat in my yard and I was trying to find it a home but no one wants it and I kind of efforted out of it so now I'm doing the thing where someone feeds and cares for a random outdoor cat but claims it is not their cat. I have an outdoor cat (that is not my cat) and I don't even live in one of the countries where it is goonily acceptable to do so

edit: 1.) I backyard breed mice and rats for color and release them in strategic places outside to practice Find The Rat with dogs. They die in fear and are kept clean but kind of overcrowded.

2.) My pit bull is unneutered, will prob lazy out of eventually getting him neutered because i dont really care

3.) Probably other stuff

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 31, 2012

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Cesar Milan has some good ideas about dog training.

e: Moses is underweight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Moses thinks he is alpha, that is why he wants to eat other dogs. Also because he is being starved.

• Locked thread