Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dk2m
May 6, 2009

This is dope as hell.

Finished this one up in record time, inspiration is a funny thing.

http://soundcloud.com/stosz/dereliction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distorted Scenery
Feb 19, 2006
Confusing others since 1987.

j.peeba posted:

I know psytrance :catdrugs: is hardly de rigeur in this thread but regardless, here's some I've been working on for the last week or so:
http://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/john-peeba-living-forms

After being on an ambient/iphone music production binge for a month or two I went back to Ableton. Taking a vacation in a more restricted production environment (nanostudio, an awesome app) definitely was helpful since when I returned back to desktop, producing music felt so effortless and, most importantly, I got some results again that I am fairly happy with :). At least for the time being.

I'd love to hear feedback! I'm probably half deaf to the tune already since I've been listening to it a lot for the past few days.

I'm liking it. It rocks! Hard to say what I like most. I guess I'd say the ambience, it's definitely helping to fill out the mix, giving it more of an epic/huge sound. A lot of your sounds are pretty fresh to my ears too. I've gotten tired of a lot of the cliché psytrance timbres and this track strays away from them. Great job on the track man.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

http://soundcloud.com/control-volume-1/first-song

I've been at this for about a week and managed to produce something that doesn't sound like rear end, so I'd appreciate feedback if I'm doing anything wrong.

Also what genre is it I never really bothered to check

e:
vv Thanks for the feedback, decided to a bit a of revision since I didn't realize how important compressors were and tried to give the end a bit more "oomph" vv

http://soundcloud.com/control-volume-1/hard-dance

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 25, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just do what everyone else does, make your own genre.

I like the ideas you got going, but it sounds a little thin in my headphones. The first minute sets up a decent groove but it never does anything with the energy, so I'm stuck waiting for the track to get big. You got some vegetables, and you got some potatoes, but the meat is still on the grill. :v:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

j.peeba posted:

I know psytrance :catdrugs: is hardly de rigeur in this thread but regardless, here's some I've been working on for the last week or so:
http://soundcloud.com/john-peeba/john-peeba-living-forms

After being on an ambient/iphone music production binge for a month or two I went back to Ableton. Taking a vacation in a more restricted production environment (nanostudio, an awesome app) definitely was helpful since when I returned back to desktop, producing music felt so effortless and, most importantly, I got some results again that I am fairly happy with :). At least for the time being.

I'd love to hear feedback! I'm probably half deaf to the tune already since I've been listening to it a lot for the past few days.

Part of me is itching for this to be ~5-10bpm faster, but it's got a nice groove for sure. Nice production!

unSavory
Sep 26, 2004
fellow
Heres a track I'm working on for a game. Going for that sorta M83-style-low-bpm-but-still-super-epic sound. But it's sounding kinda muddy and boring and I'm not sure how to fix it :(

http://soundcloud.com/trifectuh/vidja-game-musiks-wip

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

unSavory posted:

Heres a track I'm working on for a game. Going for that sorta M83-style-low-bpm-but-still-super-epic sound. But it's sounding kinda muddy and boring and I'm not sure how to fix it :(

http://soundcloud.com/trifectuh/vidja-game-musiks-wip
I don't even have my good headphones here, but from how it's coming out of my laptop speakers: have you tried reducing some of the individual tracks' stereo width and panning them out of each other's way a bit? It sounds like every melodic instrument is in the same space and just as wide as the next. Vary the amount of reverb between instruments as well.

I don't think it's boring. And there's a difficult balance in game music where you can't have the music distracting from the game anyway.

Musically, this works pretty well for me. I really like the low tempo as well.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here's a previously unreleased Oliver Smith track that I found on my hard drive in Ableton Live Project file format :confused:

http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-telemetry-soundcloud

edit: I put some of my stuff in context and made two little mixes from recent works:

http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-minimix
http://soundcloud.com/wayfu/wayfinder-minimix-2

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 28, 2012

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
I'm a little nervous about this, but I'd like to ask for advice. Lots and lots of advice.

To begin with, I want to make electronic music, because electronic music makes me really happy to listen to. I am not an artistically skilled person, but I do think I'm fairly creative, and I'd like to try composing something, and maybe writing songs to go with it (although it's all just for fun, and I have no intention whatever of making it publicly available.) I have absolutely no musical background or training.

I have very little equipment to work with, and no money at all to buy anything. I also don't really know anything relevant about how hardware or software work.

My hardware consists of:
HP Pavilion dm4 laptop
HP media smart webcam (built in, and my only means of recording anything if I should choose to do so)
Logitech x-240 speakers
Skull candy earbuds

For software I have:
Audacity (haven't actually installed this yet, very intimidated.)
and I guess the HP media smart webcam software?

I have the following instruments potentially at my disposal:
Peavey Predator electric guitar
Ibanez electric bass of some kind
Peavey Mini-amp

The instruments belong to my girlfriend, and I don't know how to play them. I don't think I've ever heard her really play them either, so I have no idea how good she is. I don't think she'd be overly supportive of trying to teach me.

Since I've never done anything even remotely like this in the past, I really have no idea where or how to start, so I'd be exceptionally happy for any help and advice. I don't really have any musical friends that I can ask, and while I suspect this is a hard case to approach and I'm sure it won't be easy for me, I feel a very strong desire to pursue this, so if anybody would like to help a non-musician break into this, I'm ready to follow. Or at least I will be once I've installed audacity, which I'm going to go do right now.

breaks
May 12, 2001

My first piece of advice is to uninstall Audacity.

Install either Ableton Live or Studio One. Neither is free, but both do have demo versions that will take care of you for about a month. These are the two easiest to use full-featured DAWs. Hopefully during the demo time you can figure out how much you really want to invest in this.

Youtube either "studio one basics" or "ableton live basics" depending on which one you end up using.

If you notice a lot of latency between playing a note or turning a knob and hearing the sound or it affecting the sound, research how to install and configure ASIO4ALL.

Don't buy any gear until you feel like you have some idea of what you're doing.

Finally, go to http://www.musictheory.net/lessons and learn that stuff. It won't happen overnight but spend a little time on it each day. If you continue doing this for a long time, once you're done with the lessons spend a little time each day on the ear training exercises.

breaks fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 30, 2012

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

breaks posted:

My first piece of advice is to uninstall Audacity.

Don't do this, Audacity is a perfectly good wave editor.

Just try demo versions of some of the big DAWs, and get the one that clicks with you. I like FL Studio, lots of people like Ableton, Renoise, Cubase, Reason, whatever, it's all good really, as long as it works and you're comfortable with it.

The only piece of hardware I'd recommend for a total beginner is a decent pair of speakers or headphones. Earbuds and laptop speakers are totally inadequate for any serious music production. It's pretty tough to make music when you can barely hear the kicks and bass. A MIDI keyboard is very useful but you can definitely make music without one. It looks like you already have a pair of speakers, so, yeah, just don't use your laptop speakers or earbuds when you're making music please :)

Also, keep in mind that audacity isn't really a program for making music, it's more for recording and trimming samples.

Also, I can't recommend this VST enough:

http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/

A free, great sounding, synthesizer with a very easy to use interface and low CPU footprint. It's the perfect VST to learn basic subtractive synthesis on, but it's good enough to keep on using afterwards as well.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Thanks for the advice so far. My next question was actually going to be "what synthesizing program would you recommend" since after probing around with audacity for a while, I realized it doesn't really do that. I'm also going to look at ableton and some of the other DAWs, but I'll check this program out first before I worry about editing and mixing.

Oh, and definitely thanks for the music theory link, breaks. I think I've already learned some useful things from it, and I'm sure it'll be a huge help!

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Thanks for the advice so far. My next question was actually going to be "what synthesizing program would you recommend" since after probing around with audacity for a while, I realized it doesn't really do that. I'm also going to look at ableton and some of the other DAWs, but I'll check this program out first before I worry about editing and mixing.

Oh, and definitely thanks for the music theory link, breaks. I think I've already learned some useful things from it, and I'm sure it'll be a huge help!

If you're talking about Synth1, it's a VST plugin, you need a DAW to use it

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Well then I'm glad I didn't try to use it. But this is why I need help to begin with, because I just don't even know what I don't know.

Edit: I'm not sure how to access the plugin through audacity. I followed the installation instructions for synth1 (copied the synth1 VST.dll into the plugin directory) and checked to see that the plugin was enabled in audacity (under preferences in the effects tab I checked the box next to "rescan VST effects next time audacity is loaded" and then rebooted) but I don't know where I'd find it in audacity, assuming it's properly available. It doesn't seem to be in the generate, effects, or analyze tabs where the manual said I should check. I also noticed that it isn't on the list of plugins verified to work with audacity, but I don't know if that means anything.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 30, 2012

breaks
May 12, 2001

I don't think audacity supports instruments, just effects. Like I say, abandon ship, get ableton or s1 installed. Audacity is not what you want now and if you ever need a program like that there are better options (wavelab, audition, tape and razor blades, failing all else a gun and a bullet).

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

breaks posted:

there are better options (a gun and a bullet).

this has been my experience with Audacity as well. That program is a loving pain, I would seriously recommend anything else.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Abandoning audacity then.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have a smartphone, there is some surprisingly agile music making software out there. By the nature of the platform, the software stays limited in scope which aids in allowing a newbie to focus on the music fundamentals without getting lost in a sea of dials and plugins.

If you don't have a smartphone, nanostudio has a osx and windows binary available:

http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/

Something to consider anyways. Pro tools are pro tools for a reason, and I think opening them up generates a serious risk of scaring beginners off.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

xzzy posted:

If you have a smartphone, there is some surprisingly agile music making software out there. By the nature of the platform, the software stays limited in scope which aids in allowing a newbie to focus on the music fundamentals without getting lost in a sea of dials and plugins.

If you don't have a smartphone, nanostudio has a osx and windows binary available:

http://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/

Something to consider anyways. Pro tools are pro tools for a reason, and I think opening them up generates a serious risk of scaring beginners off.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to keep this in mind. I don't intend to get scared off, no matter how little I understand the programs I'm looking at, although sticking to the basics might be a little difficult since I don't really know what comprises the basics here.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Thanks for the tip, I'll try to keep this in mind. I don't intend to get scared off, no matter how little I understand the programs I'm looking at, although sticking to the basics might be a little difficult since I don't really know what comprises the basics here.
That seems vaguely dismissive of what I think is a great suggestion. You don't jump into maths in primary school by learning about 11-dimensional spaces either.

The Windows or OSX version is free and looks very much like a good place to start learning the basics. And maybe have some fun in the process. And not get distracted initially by too much of the boring abstract stuff like midi routing and latency and poo poo.

And if you outgrow it, nothing will stop you from moving on to a big boy DAW and using what you learnt there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Identifying the basics are kind of irrelevant. You just need to get a program installed that lets you hit a record button and press keys to make sounds. While there are rules to making music (especially successful music), it's a fundamentally experimental process.. you mess around until something interesting pops out, and then you develop it into a song.

Any of the programs mentioned in this thread will let you do that, it's just a question of downloading one (buying it if necessary) and burning a weekend messing around. Or several weekends, more likely. Potentially every weekend for the rest of your life. :v:

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

That seems vaguely dismissive of what I think is a great suggestion. You don't jump into maths in primary school by learning about 11-dimensional spaces either.

The Windows or OSX version is free and looks very much like a good place to start learning the basics. And maybe have some fun in the process. And not get distracted initially by too much of the boring abstract stuff like midi routing and latency and poo poo.

And if you outgrow it, nothing will stop you from moving on to a big boy DAW and using what you learnt there.

I'm sorry, It wasn't supposed to be dismissive. I really do appreciate any and all advice you guys can give me. I fully intend to look into that program, I'm just appraising things one at a time (and roughly in the order they were presented to me) because it's a lot to take in all at once. Since I've managed to get the recommended synthesizer plugin working in Ableton, and I've gone through some of the lessons Ableton comes with my next step is going to be the blip interactive app. I'm also studying the music theory website. Again, at the risk of sounding cloying, I really am grateful for the advice.

I plan on digging in deep this weekend after my classes end, and when I can be alone to experiment, since I don't want to annoy anybody, and its been made clear that headphones/earbuds are not conducive to this sort of work.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Don't sweat the earbud situation when you're starting out. Obviously if you want to write tracks with really low bass and your earbuds don't put out any really low bass, there's an issue there. But for the most part, if you're writing and listening on the same gear, it doesn't really matter what you use. When you get to a point where you're sharing your tunes and you listen to what it sounds like on other systems, you'll start having translation problems and you'll need to look for ways to solve them. But it's not an issue yet, so worry about that then.

Concentrate on learning to use your tools and the basics of theory and track structure. Try to get to a point where you can start putting some simple tunes together and practice practice practice. Don't branch out with too many different plugins or whatever at first. Try a few things, pick whatever seems easiest and most fun to you, really learn how to use that stuff, and start making lots of tracks. It's a bell curve kind of thing where you have to start climbing the mountain and getting some inertia, then you'll make lots of progress for a while, then it will slow down and at that stage you should have a good idea of what questions you need answers to.

Good luck, Danger Pumpkin. I appreciate that your name is in the holiday spirit. :3:

breaks fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 31, 2012

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
I think you're thinking about this way too much. Just grab a DAW and start dicking around, it will all fall into place

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I fully intend to look into that program, I'm just appraising things one at a time (and roughly in the order they were presented to me) because it's a lot to take in all at once.
I didn't mean to draw focus to a supposed lack of gratitude or anything. I just wanted to underline that I strongly agreed with the sort of suggestion.

An integrated, limited feature environment can be a good starting point for someone with no background whatsoever.

It's a bit moot now that you've already started with Ableton and have gotten things going. I suggest you stick with that now. It's got some very good tutorials.

It's all good, as long as you're having fun. Just don't lose sight of that.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Hey y'all, just finished up this dark and dreamy electro thing. Would appreciate some feedback on this, still not 100% sure on the bass or if the snare carries on a bit too much on the breakdown....

http://soundcloud.com/careyb/vit-d

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've always found my Skullcandy buds to be ridiculously bassy, so don't worry about that. As breaks says, it's more useful to know your current setup, especially if you use it for your general listening purposes as well. Hundreds of studios and engineers use Yamaha NS-10s, which are generally considered as bargain hifi speakers, the idea being that if it sounds good on them, it'll sound awesome on better systems.

As you're using Ableton, you may find it beneficial to stick a Spectrum (found in the Audio Effects folder on the Ableton bit of the browser on the left) on your master channel whilst you're using buds/Logitechs.

The Spectrum shows you what frequencies are present in your song, so you can see if there's loads of low-end junk in your mix- anything under ~40hz can normally be cut with an eq or hi-pass filter without causing too many problems and will tighten up your low end (unless you're Skrillex I guess).

Whilst I am in no way suggesting you mix with your eyes rather than your ears, with a sub-optimal setup it can help a lot. I'm sure as a guitarist you've found that when tuning strings (goddamn Gs mutter mutter) can sometimes sound 'wrong' even when the tuner says it's spot on so you tighten or loosen until it sounds right with the rest of the guitar. At the end of the day, it's music, it's for listening to, not watching (:2bong: aside).

After you've got the basics down and are looking to 'release' your music, even if only on Soundcloud or CDRs for people you know, it's a good idea to listen to it in as many ways as possible. Once you've got a demo tune on the go, export it as a .wav (can be done from the File menu) and burn it onto a CD, then stick it in your car, your show-off mate's car with the 12" sub, iPod dock, your Xbox through your TV... you get the idea. I've found a lot of my tracks (and even more of my CDs) can sound awesome on one thing, and like poo poo through another because there's too much bass, hissy treble or not enough cowbell.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
ehhh this was released over a month ago, forgot to like.. promote it. Getting lazy...

http://soundcloud.com/turbotrixie/kai_handberg-singular_joy

In hindsight - its too sparse melodically, and soundcloud compression loving sucks.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Quincy why didn't you ever tell us you did the music for the Sim City games

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I dont get that joke (i assume it is??) but you made me reinstall sc4 deluxe.

reticulating splines

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

ehhh this was released over a month ago, forgot to like.. promote it. Getting lazy...

http://soundcloud.com/turbotrixie/kai_handberg-singular_joy

In hindsight - its too sparse melodically, and soundcloud compression loving sucks.
Hey I checked out a few of your tracks on the random after seeing you appear in my sc stats. Wicked sounds mate, love the vibes. Will give this a listen tomo when on my laptop.

Hels
May 26, 2003
Finished this up a few days ago, tell me what you think! http://soundcloud.com/helsquiades/10-21-12

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Welp time for song #2, looking for feedback again, particularly on the beginning since I probably have some ~super cool idea~ clouding my mind and making it sound better than it is.

http://soundcloud.com/control-volume-1/subsystem

Also want to know what genre this is so I can listen to what pros have done, also also what causes that weird sine-wave effect in the waveform? I know it has something to do with panning but I don't recall putting any panning effects on my stuff.

e:

Hels posted:

Finished this up a few days ago, tell me what you think! http://soundcloud.com/helsquiades/10-21-12

Are you using layered instruments or some sort of cutoff on the midrange stuff? It's a really cool effect.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003

Control Volume posted:

Also want to know what genre this is so I can listen to what pros have done, also also what causes that weird sine-wave effect in the waveform? I know it has something to do with panning but I don't recall putting any panning effects on my stuff.

that has to do with your stereo imaging, you didn't put panning effects on the sounds but they have stereo information anyway (i.e. they're not mono). I wouldn't put any stock into what the waveform appears like on soundcloud anyway, just go with what sounds good.

Peter North fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 25, 2013

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Hels posted:

this is good. I'll be wanting your autograph one day.

Hels
May 26, 2003

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

this is good. I'll be wanting your autograph one day.

Ha! Thank you much. I'm thinking I will back and redo the mix on my latest few tracks and release an EP. Then, I think I'm done with this style of music (I think some patterns are developing faster than my production capabilities and I need to break them).

Control Volume posted:

Are you using layered instruments or some sort of cutoff on the midrange stuff? It's a really cool effect.

Layers, layers, layers. That's my game. It's hard because I hear so much electronic music that emphasizes space and I'm always filling it up.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
the questions "does this really NEED a stereo track? CAN it be mono?" and "does this NEED reverb?" - opened up alot of headroom for me.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Hels posted:

Hearing what you guys are doing makes me really excited that someday I might be able to do something this cool.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've not made anything for a long time and then I made a lot of things.
This is one of them, the most finished:
http://soundcloud.com/downpour/downpour-get-it-girl

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Holy poo poo Izotope is like a group of wizards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hFpil2x8T0

Oh and I should probably mention that they made a synth using this same technology. It basically let's you turn any sound (musical or not) in a recording into a synth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxqBaCcJyzQ

d0grent fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 5, 2012

• Locked thread