Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bullet3 posted:

Possibly the best action film of this year came out on VOD yesterday, and you will want to see it after watching this new trailer.

That's pretty much Hypnotoad: The Movie. Even though I'm not epileptic that was seriously uncomfortable to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
It looked very similar in visual style to "Enter the Void", :nws:the trailer for which:nms: should give you a good idea of how bugfuck insane it is visually.

Seriously don't click on that link if you have photosensitive epilepsy.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
I believe the director, John Hyams, has gone on record that Enter the Void was an influence on the film.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Robert Denby posted:

It looked very similar in visual style to "Enter the Void", :nws:the trailer for which:nms: should give you a good idea of how bugfuck insane it is visually.

It really says something that a trailer for a loving Gaspar Noe movie was easier to watch than Universal Soldier trailer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

New trailer for John Dies at the End. Looks like its going to be a pretty faithful adaptation. Whether that means its going to be a good movie or not remains to be seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wQI3T3KeNQ

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

muscles like this? posted:

New trailer for John Dies at the End. Looks like its going to be a pretty faithful adaptation. Whether that means its going to be a good movie or not remains to be seen.

I haven't read the book and I know nothing about this movie aside from what the trailer has shown me, but it looks like A Scanner Darkly + Bill & Ted's + Supernatural... how close am I?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

zenintrude posted:

I haven't read the book and I know nothing about this movie aside from what the trailer has shown me, but it looks like A Scanner Darkly + Bill & Ted's + Supernatural... how close am I?

I don't know A Scanner Darkly very well, but that actually sounds pretty accurate. A bit more horror, though.

Movie looks promising, if low-budget.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

zenintrude posted:

Here is how I explain the book to friends

You know that show Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Where a rag tag team of high school students kick demon rear end. Where one of them is a super powered slayer? One is a witch? One is a guy from the Watchers, a long standing organization whose sole purpose is to fight evil? How they are all reasonably well equipped to handle all the scary poo poo?

Yeah now imagine that, in the same world, in a similar city.... instead of a slayer and band of demon fighters... you have two dumbass, half drunk, self-centered guys who happen to know about demons and bad things and, despite trying to avoid it, find themselves fighting the forces of evil.

And they suck at it.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Personally, I'm fond of the comparison "Lovecraft VS Clerks".

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

muscles like this? posted:

Having seen it, I can say it's a good movie, albiet very loving weird. Of course, they apparently changed some things since I saw it, so it may be better or worse than when I saw it.

I haven't read the book though, so I can't speak to how faithful it is beyond hearing Corsacarelli talk about what he had to cut out (a lot, apparently) to make it work as a feature film. He did note that he had David Wong's blessing to tweak it as he saw fit to make it work.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Having seen it, I can say it's a good movie, albiet very loving weird. Of course, they apparently changed some things since I saw it, so it may be better or worse than when I saw it.

I haven't read the book though, so I can't speak to how faithful it is beyond hearing Corsacarelli talk about what he had to cut out (a lot, apparently) to make it work as a feature film. He did note that he had David Wong's blessing to tweak it as he saw fit to make it work.

The book is really three stories that are somewhat tied together. Im sure they had to cut a lote, but based on the trailer, a lot is left in as well. Still, Im worried my favorite parts will have been cut and the less fun stuff will be left in.

It would be much MUCH better as a tv show. With a monster of the week... instead of a movie.

But I am still very excited to see the film.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The tone's kind of off for that JDATE trailer. I think if you tried splicing both trailers together you would have the right tone. Here's the first one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ot7kFjUcrs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46SycbqzGyA

The Rock says: "This movie is preposterous."

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

World War Z trailer dropped today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

Looks interesting, I'm curious to see how they rationalize the hyperactive zombies that can apparently flow around corners like water. Would've preferred a format more resembling the dispatch/chronicle format of the book, but take what you can get I guess. The fact that Lindelof even got his hands on the script worries me, but Drew Goddard did Cabin in the Woods, so I have a small modicum of hope. Brad Pitt is Brad Pitt, of course. Apparently there are plans to make a trilogy out of this, so I'm curious to see how they end this one and set up a sequel.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MatCauthon posted:

World War Z trailer dropped today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

Looks interesting, I'm curious to see how they rationalize the hyperactive zombies that can apparently flow around corners like water. Would've preferred a format more resembling the dispatch/chronicle format of the book, but take what you can get I guess. The fact that Lindelof even got his hands on the script worries me, but Drew Goddard did Cabin in the Woods, so I have a small modicum of hope. Brad Pitt is Brad Pitt, of course. Apparently there are plans to make a trilogy out of this, so I'm curious to see how they end this one and set up a sequel.
Wouldn't WWZ work better as a pseudo Ken Burns documentary, then again that wouldn't be exciting or appealing to a mainstream audience.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Well that just looks terrible.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That looks mind numbingly god awful.
Perfect lesson on how to NOT adapt a novel, holy gently caress.

:bravo:

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I'm interested in watching it, but the CG looks loving awful.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CG would be a long way from final render at this point. As someone who hasn't read the book, it looks a lot more interesting than most zombie films.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Never read the book or have any idea what it's about, but I thought it looked really fun. The entire swarming bug/teeming mass aspect is cool.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The book is an oral history told in the style of a Studs Terkel book. That is, it is a series of interviews with people who lived through the war in different capacities, like someone who was profiting off anti-zombie drugs, various military personnel, and some otaku that I hope was just some sort of random satire in the middle of the book. The book was pretty much notable precisely because of its format.

This is just generic zombie action movie starring Brad Pitt somehow.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I freely admit that the book's quality varies WILDLY from chapter to chapter, but all I wanted from this movie was three things. Three goddamn things.

1) Henry Rollins as the security guard at the celebrity bunker mansion in Long Island.
2) The feral girl.
3) A civil war firing line with a pro wrestler, a nun with an eyepatch, and Michael Stipe with The Trooper blaring in the background.

Instead I get a paint by numbers "race against the clock" thriller with loving fast zombies and no sign of the original framing device. God loving dammit :suicide:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I'm excited to see this cool looking film with Pitt in the lead and also excited to see legions of people posting about how they 'adapted it wrong' and how 'fast zombies aren't zombies!'.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

I'm excited to see this cool looking film with Pitt in the lead and also excited to see legions of people posting about how they 'adapted it wrong' and how 'fast zombies aren't zombies!'.

I mean, I love ragging on adaptation purists as much as the next guy and I haven't even read World War Z, but here are two potential movies:

1) A cool-looking, fun zombie action film starring Brad Pitt.
2) An anthology film consisting of Brad Pitt interviewing various veterans of a zombie war, who each get their own vignette telling the story of their fight.

The second sounds a lot cooler. The first is probably gonna be perfectly entertaining, but knowing there was the opportunity for the second leaves a bit of disappointment. I guess I can see why people are raging, especially if the individual stories in WWZ were actually good (were they?)

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I am amazed by the "flowing body of water" horde of zombies. That's kind of brilliant and kind of stupid at the same time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Jonny Angel posted:

I mean, I love ragging on adaptation purists as much as the next guy and I haven't even read World War Z, but here are two potential movies:

1) A cool-looking, fun zombie action film starring Brad Pitt.
2) An anthology film consisting of Brad Pitt interviewing various veterans of a zombie war, who each get their own vignette telling the story of their fight.

The second sounds a lot cooler. The first is probably gonna be perfectly entertaining, but knowing there was the opportunity for the second leaves a bit of disappointment. I guess I can see why people are raging, especially if the individual stories in WWZ were actually good (were they?)

I have read World War Z, no, the individual stories aren't particularly great on the whole and I don't think the second concept is inherently 'cooler' in anyway. More original, maybe, but original does not mean good or even particularly exciting in this case.

Pretty much every cry for a World War Z movie before this one was announced with Pitt in the lead was 'I want to see them do the battle scene!' so hey, you reap what you sow.

World War Z is a novel little series of not particularly great stories that's threaded together by a halfway interesting narrative framing device which probably wouldn't end up doing anything more interesting than 'what if occasionally there was someone on screen to remind you that this zombie story is actually a story'.

Do I think the second idea has promise? Sure. Do I think World War Z should have been adapted into a film? No, not really.

What's going to happen is this movie's going to come out and it's probably going to be generic and mostly boring with a charismatic lead and some interesting ideas and a bunch of purists are going to use this as more fuel for the fire that Hollywood is an uncreative cesspit going down the shitter and fast zombies and why doesn't anyone appreciate the brilliance of my favourite book 'Anne Frank's Zombie Diaries' which totally should have been adapted into an HBO miniseries by Christopher Nolan and and and ad infinitum.

Instead of realizing that the problem is that World War Z probably wouldn't have made a very good movie anyway.

I don't know, that trailer looks interesting to me and right now I want to see that film, because I don't live in the alternate universe where the other film got made and that film's trailer looked interesting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
World War Z did not make a good book so I'm glad this is a total departure.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I didn't mind the book up until the retarded Zatoichi blind Japanese swordsman chapter, then it totally lost me.

The film does not appear to be in good shape. Every mid to high budget movie does pickups/reshoots these days, but seven loving weeks? You're shooting an entirely new film at that point.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Fast zombie or slow zombie, great adaption or departing from questionable source material, these aren't the problem for me.

That doesn't look like a zombie movie. That may or may not be a bad thing, but it's selling itself as a zombie infection film.

What the film comes across as is an alien invasion flick, like Starship Troopers but on earth. It's waves of identical flesh-rending monsters who only look human by coincidence. Could it be a good film doing that? Sure, but it doesn't look anything like a zombie movie.

And that to me seems like a major problem in a movie about zombies.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
The whole fluid/swarming zombie thing looks amazing, a completely original take on this tired-rear end cliché.
Someone in another thread, I think, posted that this seems more like a disaster movie with zombies as the disaster than a zombie movie. I'm pretty okay with that. Plus, from the descriptions people give of the book it sounds like a straight adaptation would have been some kind of terrible tongue-in-cheek exploitation flick, and I think the market's kind of saturated for those.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Sounds like someone saw the Transformers 3 trailer and went "That BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BA-BAMMM! hook was pretty cool. Can we have something that sounds almost but not quite exactly like it?"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I hope our Canadian gossip news personalities annoy the hell out of Brad Pitt by calling it World War Zed.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I'm already astounded by the number of people who are dismissing it because the living dead do not move at a snail's pace.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46SycbqzGyA

The Rock says: "This movie is preposterous."

So what we're going to do is get an ageing action movie star to appear as an ageing action hero. And - here's the clever bit - in the trailer, they'll make a joke about how old they are. Nobody would ever expect it!

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

tehsid posted:

I'm interested in watching it, but the CG looks loving awful.
I'm on this bandwagon. I'm a sucker for zombie movies. I'm going to watch it no matter what. But the 'fluid stream of zombies' thing is kind of bugging me.

RamrodMC
Mar 2, 2011

midget astronaut
I think the fluid stream of zombies looks pretty interesting. Frightening, even. A stampede of humans where there is absolutely no sense of self-preservation, only hostility.

The problem is the CG is also frightening - frighteningly poor.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Yeah, though, anyone who was surprised that World War Z has been adapted into a linear narrative action thriller starring Brad Pitt has too much faith in Hollywood.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
My problem with the trailer (I haven't read the book) is that it looks absolutely joyless--the whole interest of zombie material, to my mind, is that pretty much everybody secretly wants there to be a zombie apocalypse so they can show what a badass they would actually be in the event, and hang out with all their friends in a sweet fortified mall or mansion or treehouse or whatever. I mean, this movie does look like it might be funny in its own right (the juxtaposition of the pre-disaster innocent family business in the car, something you'd see in disaster flicks like The Day After Tomorrow or Independence Day, and then realizing the disaster is: Bllaaaaaa Insane Super Fast Zombies Hordes!!!! is pretty amusing). All right, now that I think about it, Independence Day with zombies sounds kind of ok. Although apparently the production on this thing was very troubled so there's a pretty good chance it's going to be incoherent.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dillbag posted:

I didn't mind the book up until the retarded Zatoichi blind Japanese swordsman chapter, then it totally lost me.

The film does not appear to be in good shape. Every mid to high budget movie does pickups/reshoots these days, but seven loving weeks? You're shooting an entirely new film at that point.

See I don't get that, how is the blind swordsman anymore ridiculous than the celebrity apocalypse death house, or the ghost radio operator. Doesn't the virus mainly start to spread because of Chinese black market organs? It's a pretty silly book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Weird timing because Walking Dead being back on the air triggered a zombie kick and I've read around 6-7 zombie novels in that time. I enjoyed World War Z but I agree with the posters that think it would have been hard to adapt to the screen and make it good while still staying faithful.

That being said this trailer looks amazing to me. Those zombies are terrifying with their speed and swarming.

• Locked thread