Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

joepinetree posted:

I honestly don't know how anyone can be optimistic about this. Disney has all the negatives of Lucas, but to the extreme. Silly or cute aliens to push merchandising? Doing away with any sort of "Han shot first" moments? Even more emphasis on effects over story? I can't see any of these things getting better at disney.

Star Wars is a property that sells itself. Obviously Disney will continue to merchandise the poo poo out of it, but Disney is also run by people smart enough to know that the best way to continue selling poo poo is to make movies that are actually entertaining and well received. They've given Pixar a remarkable amount of creative freedom up until this point, I don't think there's any reason to think they won't give whoever they put in charge of Star Wars a similar amount of leeway, providing what they make is successful. Like them or not, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies are grimy, violent films. Not everything Disney puts out is Mary Poppins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

feedmyleg posted:

That I'm going to have to agree with. Even if somehow the new movies aren't terrible, the most entertainment I'll get out of this is the horrible EU fans crying over their massacred canon.

I've read things you people wouldn't believe. TIE Aggressors on las-fire off the shoulder of Ryloth. I've watched ion-beams glitter in the dark near the Yuuzhan Vong. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yoshifan823 posted:

I think they might be able to wrangle a cameo out of Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford, but the only way Mark Hamill is gonna be involved is if he does the voice of some alien (which I would be totally 100% for).

Harrison Ford needs Star Wars like he needs a hole in the head, I seriously doubt he would do it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

He's not that bad. I guess if you start taking less active roles(unlike Harrison Ford) that will happen to you.

Like I said, after a little bit of weight loss (several million dollars will motivate you pretty well), he'll look like he did a couple of years ago. And honestly, if we end up with

Then I'm okay with it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

feedmyleg posted:

That I'm going to have to agree with. Even if somehow the new movies aren't terrible, the most entertainment I'll get out of this is the horrible EU fans crying over their massacred canon.

The concept of Canon caused me to play all the way through "Lost: Via Domus" on the 360. That game loving sucked. gently caress canon.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

joepinetree posted:

I honestly don't know how anyone can be optimistic about this. Disney has all the negatives of Lucas, but to the extreme. Silly or cute aliens to push merchandising? Doing away with any sort of "Han shot first" moments? Even more emphasis on effects over story? I can't see any of these things getting better at disney.

They do own Miramax for less kid friendly productions, so they do have an avenue not to pussify everything.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

BlindSite posted:

They do own Miramax for less kid friendly productions, so they do have an avenue not to pussify everything.

Uh, Disney sold Miramax to Filmyard Holdings two years ago.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was just reminded that Disney also owns the Muppets.

Muppet remakes of all the Star Wars movies. ALL OF THEM.

Most important post of the thread

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

Uh, Disney sold Miramax to Filmyard Holdings two years ago.

Uh, Lucasfilm still exists and it's unlikely Disney is going to use another vehicle to produce the new Star Wars movies.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I wouldn't be surprised if they treat Star Wars like they have Marvel. Mine the EU for arcs and ideas like they have with Marvel's comics, but don't slavishly follow the originals if they don't want to. They could even follow the format of a bunch of different directors doing tonally different solo movies, then all the solo heroes show up for the big epic every 3 years.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Madurai posted:

But God drat, can he do voices now.
Imagine the irony of Mark Hamill voicing Darth Vader.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Tron Legacy, Pirates of the Caribbean and John Carter weren't THAT BAD or too stereotypically Disney-esque. I will remain optimistic unless I find out that they let one of the EU writers do the films.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Like I said, after a little bit of weight loss (several million dollars will motivate you pretty well), he'll look like he did a couple of years ago. And honestly, if we end up with

Then I'm okay with it.

This is more or less my opinion, too. A little motivation and some Jedi robes and not having to do much more than Alec Guinness in the original trilogy and Hamill will be good to go.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I really like sci-fi movies so I welcome more Star Wars, at least when Lucas is not involved

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just put Hamil in a wig, done.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
You guys gotta realize, Lucasfilm will still make the sequel films, not Disney. Pixar still has almost total control over creative content, and only receives broad direction from the mouse. Disney will manage quality control, marketing and distribution. That's not a bad thing: combine the best of what Lucasfilm has to offer with the best of Disney's assets. This looks to be the best thing to happen to Star Wars since 1983.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Lincoln posted:

You guys gotta realize, Lucasfilm will still make the sequel films, not Disney. Pixar still has almost total control over creative content, and only receives broad direction from the mouse. Disney will manage quality control, marketing and distribution. That's not a bad thing: combine the best of what Lucasfilm has to offer with the best of Disney's assets. This looks to be the best thing to happen to Star Wars since 1983.

I was at a Q&A with Stan Lee back in June, and someone asked about Disney and if he was concerned at all regarding them exerting creative control. He said that basically, Disney buying Marvel has meant a grand total of one thing - more money for Marvel to play with. If them owning Lucasfilm goes the same way then I'm very optimistic.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Harrison Ford needs Star Wars like he needs a hole in the head, I seriously doubt he would do it.

Harrison Ford is a 70 year old man who wears an earring. And he just reprised Indiana Jones. The dude is desperate for his youth, and will be by far the easiest one to come on board in my opinion. He's probably already called!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lucasfilm might be making this new trilogy and be free of interference or whatever like all the pixar/marvel comparisons being suggested. Except they weren't making them at all, the only reason they will be is because Disney say so. Whilst no expert, making a movie under duress strikes me as not ideal.

Surely, they need to throw all the EU stuff under the bus and get new people who are prepared to invest in the project to invigorate it. There must be some decent directors about who grew up by, and still instinctively, make the swooshing sounds whenever they pick up a torch or whatever, but aren't completely burnt out by the miserable reception to the newer films.

Otherwise sod it and lets see it end up as a mysteriously murdered han solo's son at jedi academy learning lightsaber baseball and force cross country runs until he gets with the super hot ware-wookie cheerleader girl having been dropped with their classmates to kill each other on not a moon for the hungry population's entertainment.

The EU will be fine anyway, people say they will be angry but really they will be salivating over all those inconsistencies just begging wiki-explanation by means of chopped off hands and cloning.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
UPDATE, straight from Iger:

"...the companies 'have a pretty extensive treatment of the next three movies...Episode 7 will be released in 2015, the first under the Disney/Lucas banner,' he said, with Episode 8 and Episode 9 to follow.

"Disney also intends to pursue the Star Wars brand in their parks, with games and, 'other initiatives,' CFO Jay Rasulo said."

Iger again: "'We really like Star Wars’ potential on TV, and Disney XD would be a great home for that.' He did not provide any more details about future Stars Wars TV shows."

"This purchase includes rights to the entire Star Wars franchise, Industrial Light + Magic and LucasSound. Unlike Disney’s $4 billion acquisition of Marvel in 2009, this deal comes with few limitations on the company’s use of the purchased properties like the Star Wars characters. “There are some encumbrances with the first Stars Wars films with Fox and some encumbrances with Indiana Jones with Paramount,” said Rasulo. Iger said that, while he “loves the franchise,” the Indiana Jones films were not a big factor in the deal because of Paramount’s rights to the franchise. Fox has no future distribution rights to any further Star Wars films, the execs said."

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Lincoln posted:

Iger again: "'We really like Star Wars’ potential on TV, and Disney XD would be a great home for that.' He did not provide any more details about future Stars Wars TV shows."
:siren: Oh god :siren:

Then again the concept of a Star Wars TV show has never sat right with me in general.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

hhhat posted:

Uh, Lucasfilm still exists and it's unlikely Disney is going to use another vehicle to produce the new Star Wars movies.

That really has nothing to do with what I was clarifying. :confused:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lucasfilm might be making this new trilogy and be free of interference or whatever like all the pixar/marvel comparisons being suggested. Except they weren't making them at all, the only reason they will be is because Disney say so.
I wouldn't be surprised that if the story really comes from Lucas, that it wasn't in his back pocket all along as leverage for selling the company. I wouldn't doubt that a new trilogy based on a story from George Lucas wouldn't easily be worth $1B of the price tag.

That said, I doubt his story was any more complex or detailed than the apparent paragraph-length synopsis that launched the prequels.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Lincoln posted:

What you seem to forget is, Pixar was an active production company, with something like 4 movies at different stages of production, and a handfull in pre-production, when Disney bought them. They had a ton of talent internally and a clear vision of the future with tentpoles set for almost a decade.

Lucasfilm is a Licensing company. They produce the Clone Wars series and that's all.
They don't have any internal talent, no directors, no screenwriters, a few producers and then a lot of lawyers, accountants and marketing people. This means, that what we see in the new trilogy, Disney will have a lot bigger influence on than they did Pixar. Simply because all these people needs to be brought in.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can say with confidence that there really is no EU stuff that's worth adapting wholesale. Even the highly regarded Thrawn trilogy ends with clone shenanigans like "Luuke," and it's at the shallow end of embarrassing EU material.

The EU has jumped the shark many times over now, and the synopses for the Jacen Solo stuff doesn't even pass a laugh test. Earlier stuff is material that wouldn't make a good movie (Darksaber, which has a hilarious resolution), is really boring (The Crystal Star), or both. The Sith and the Empire have both been resurrected so many times, in so many strained ways, that it really reeks of a lack of creativity.

So there's that. But the other problem is that the prequels have likely stained the franchise past the point of hope, such that it would take some new thinking to breathe life back into the creative side, and I don't much anticipate that happening.

That all being said, we really don't know what they mean by episode seven. It could be far future from the movies, or far past. It could just be another Star Wars movie, like the CG movie that I'm not sure anyone watched and no one wants to talk about.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Strange Matter posted:

Then again the concept of a Star Wars TV show has never sat right with me in general.

There is a Star Wars TV show that's on right now.

Or were you talking about live action? A live action Star Wars show would have to be handled extremely carefully.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

There is a Star Wars TV show that's on right now.

Or were you talking about live action? A live action Star Wars show would have to be handled extremely carefully.

A live action show would generally be a bad idea. There just isn't the time and budget to deliver a show that is on par with any of the movies in terms of production value.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Just give me a ridiculously high budget short film, oh very artsy, wherein a moon gets dropped upon Chewbacca and I will be happy.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

Are you telling me you don't want a sequel to the star wars holiday special?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

A live action show would generally be a bad idea. There just isn't the time and budget to deliver a show that is on par with any of the movies in terms of production value.

I absolutely agree, it'd be extremely hard.

If they modeled it after Battlestar they it might have a chance, otherwise I just don't see a live action working.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Lumpy forever

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

I can say with confidence that there really is no EU stuff that's worth adapting wholesale. Even the highly regarded Thrawn trilogy ends with clone shenanigans like "Luuke," and it's at the shallow end of embarrassing EU material.

The EU has jumped the shark many times over now, and the synopses for the Jacen Solo stuff doesn't even pass a laugh test. Earlier stuff is material that wouldn't make a good movie (Darksaber, which has a hilarious resolution), is really boring (The Crystal Star), or both. The Sith and the Empire have both been resurrected so many times, in so many strained ways, that it really reeks of a lack of creativity.

So there's that. But the other problem is that the prequels have likely stained the franchise past the point of hope, such that it would take some new thinking to breathe life back into the creative side, and I don't much anticipate that happening.

That all being said, we really don't know what they mean by episode seven. It could be far future from the movies, or far past. It could just be another Star Wars movie, like the CG movie that I'm not sure anyone watched and no one wants to talk about.

At this point, I think Disney should just invest into the KOTOR period because everyone loves Jedi. You cant salvage that mess with the existing star wars timeline and EU. Plus, it might lure people into the KOTOR MMO mess. It would be too awkward to do ep 7 too far in the future, it would feel disjoint to the original series.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lord Lambeth posted:

I need more masturbating grandpa wookiees in my life and so does everyone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Madurai posted:

But God drat, can he do voices now.

Bring him on board as The Emperor. Problem solved.

Javid posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they treat Star Wars like they have Marvel. Mine the EU for arcs and ideas like they have with Marvel's comics, but don't slavishly follow the originals if they don't want to. They could even follow the format of a bunch of different directors doing tonally different solo movies, then all the solo heroes show up for the big epic every 3 years.

I'm okay with this. Nothing they can do will exceed the original trilogy, so I would be much happier if they just didn't even try and instead started from scratch. Sadly that doesn't sound like the direction they're taking if they're starting with Episoide VII.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm gonna be surprised (and disappointed) if the new movies have anything more to do with the OT than "space movie with laser swords".

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

General Dog posted:

I'm gonna be surprised (and disappointed) if the new movies have anything more to do with the OT than "space movie with laser swords".
I would be fine with that. The basic premise of "psychic space samurai with laser swords" is very compelling, and because Star Wars is so ubiquitous there isn't really anything else like that out there. I'm more attached to that simple, sublime idea than any of the ponderous lore surrounding the franchise.

I maintain that the best way to have done Episode 1 would be for Lucas to have done with he did with A New Hope, cribbed from Kurosawa, and made The Seven Jedi or something like that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

I would be fine with that. The basic premise of "psychic space samurai with laser swords" is very compelling, and because Star Wars is so ubiquitous there isn't really anything else like that out there. I'm more attached to that simple, sublime idea than any of the ponderous lore surrounding the franchise.

I maintain that the best way to have done Episode 1 would be for Lucas to have done with he did with A New Hope, cribbed from Kurosawa, and made The Seven Jedi or something like that.

There's no reason that couldn't still be done at some point down the road. Although I think the animated series already did an episode like that. They also did a Fort Apache type episode. I was pretty impressed.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhyno posted:

I met him in person two years ago and he looks more like Jabba than he does Luke.
I also confuse him with Bob Costas now and vice versa.

Lurking291230
Oct 17, 2012
I think it would be interesting if Episode 7 featured a midichlorian as an actual entity, maybe even a humanoid thing.

Or maybe...Jar Jar could be the midichlorian that fathered Anakin. And they could have Episode 7 be a musical of sorts, like what we had in Episode 6 at Jabba's place, but for the entire movie. And we could have him impregnate Leia while Han Solo watches.

George Lucas is the master and I am but a humble servant that seeks to emulate Him in all of His glory.

VVV - Mark Hamill was a loser that didn't deserve to be Luke. George made him what he is today. Hamill is NOTHING without George.

Lurking291230 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 31, 2012

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"7, 8, and 9 are the most exciting in the series."

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/star-wars-7-8-and-9-are-most-exciting-says-george-lucas-biographer-exclusive-63006

quote:

The stories for “Star Wars” episodes seven, eight and nine, which George Lucas has outlined and the Walt Disney Company will produce and release, are “the most exciting” in the series, the filmmaker’s biographer told TheWrap on Wednesday.

While researching his book, Dale Pollock, author of the unauthorized Lucas biography, “Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas,” was allowed to read the outlines to the 12 stories written by the filmmaker but was required to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Also read: Star Wars: Episode 7' Coming in 2015 as Lucas Hands Off to 'New Generation of Filmmakers'

“It was originally a 12-part saga,” Pollock told TheWrap. “The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these 3 movies.’”

Disney bought Lucasfilm on Tuesday for $4.05 billion and announced a plan to release at least three new “Star Wars” films, starting in 2015.

Pollock researched the book in the 1980s and interviewed Lucas some 80 times. Nonetheless, Lucas was not a fan, and the two no longer have a relationship. The book was first published in 1983 and re-released in 1999. Pollock is a professor of cinema studies at the University of North Carolina's School of Filmmaking.

Also read: A Lucasfilm History: 30+ Years of 'Star Wars,' Indy and THX

For his part, Pollock deems the three “Star Wars” prequels – which made hundreds of millions at the box office but were disdained by many fans of the original – “dreadful. I think they’re horrible. For me, the first one is the worst. Maybe the second prequel is better one. I didn’t like the third one at all.”

He added: “When he did the three prequels, he was in a Lucas vacuum. No one saw the scripts [in advance], they were dreadful screenplays. I thought they seemed dry. They were medieval in terms of court intrigue. And it was a weird way to start out the story.”

The next in the series, he said, involve Luke Skywalker in his 30s and 40s, but Lucas was unlikely to turn to Mark Hamill, who played Luke in the original but whose performance left the director dissatisfied.

“They will need an older Luke Skywalker,” Pollock said.

The author said there is little doubt that Disney will use Lucas’s outlines for the next three movies. “Writers will absolutely take his outline. That’s in part what Disney bought,” he said.

My adult self is skeptical. My child self is going loving bonkers right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well I guess if you can recast Kirk you can recast Luke. I hope Disney throws Hamill a bone and he gets a cameo.

• Locked thread