Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

But Dreamfall was entirely worth it for the one scene that still sticks with me, when you get out of a cab and walk into a grimy alley on a dark, rainy night, and as you exit out of the alley, the camera pans out and shows the familiar vista of Venice's central square in a state of ruin. The soundtrack was particularly great for that part, even though it was just the opening intro to an indie/pop song.

The song in question is 'My Darling Curse' by Magnet. I like the song, so it was a pleasant surprise to hear the intro when I got to that part of the game. (The musician is Norwegian; possibly a reason they went with it.)

As for Dreamfall, I either got stuck or burned out at a certain point and watched a Let's Play for the rest of the game. Even if the gameplay wasn't particularly compelling, I did want to get to the end of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

steinrokkan posted:

Dramfall had a dreadful story, horrible characters (they even ruined April!) and no puzzles to speak of. I struggle to recall anything positive about it.

After loving TLJ I was very disappointed in Dreamfall. The story was just so flat and uninteresting. The imagination of the original was lost and the game lacked direction and content. I think the only character that I was attached to in the game was Wonkers.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Temple of Elemental Evil gets yet another update. Looks like this one is all polishing and bug-hunting. The only 'new' thing here is a tweaked world map that includes the new expansion content.

The fact that they're still finding and fixing nasty bugs throughout the game goes to show just how rushed it really was, and how dedicated the fans are.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 29, 2012

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Hank Morgan posted:

After loving TLJ I was very disappointed in Dreamfall. The story was just so flat and uninteresting. The imagination of the original was lost and the game lacked direction and content. I think the only character that I was attached to in the game was Wonkers.

It took pretty long to get going, but I found the latter half of the game to be compelling. The ending especially was something else.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aceofblue posted:

I just finally bought The Longest Journey today in the Viking Sale, and I'm pretty excited. I've been really craving a good old-school adventure game lately since when I'm finally done with school for the day, I'm too tired to play any of the action games I have.

The Longest Journey is one of my all-time favourite adventure games. The story is wonderful and the puzzles are fairly intuitive for the most part (save for one notorious one early one). It's also a pretty decent length so you won't beat in 2-4 hours like some adventure games.

kingturnip posted:

As for Dreamfall, I either got stuck or burned out at a certain point and watched a Let's Play for the rest of the game. Even if the gameplay wasn't particularly compelling, I did want to get to the end of the story.

I'm a bit the same (I got it on XBL). Did you burn out at the underground puzzle with April too?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 29, 2012

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dominic White posted:

The Temple of Elemental Evil gets yet another update. Looks like this one is all polishing and bug-hunting. The only 'new' thing here is a tweaked world map that includes the new expansion content.

The fact that they're still finding and fixing nasty bugs throughout the game goes to show just how rushed it really was, and how dedicated the fans are.

And it's still the closest we get to a proper DnD game with 3.5 rules. All it really, really needs is an expanded list of feats and prestige classes, but that's well out of reach for the otherwise exceptionally dedicated modding crews out there, sadly.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

THE BAR posted:

And it's still the closest we get to a proper DnD game with 3.5 rules. All it really, really needs is an expanded list of feats and prestige classes, but that's well out of reach for the otherwise exceptionally dedicated modding crews out there, sadly.

Don't give up hope...but on the other hand Keep on the Borderlands rising back up seems about as likely. I can't fault the guy on account of being a new parent and all, but man do I hope some sort of community collaboration can get going with the guy just steering a bit as his time slowly re-avails itself.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Hoooly crap, Dangerous Dave 1-3 has just been released! I've never thought I would see that for sale, ever! This is PC history, the precursor to Commander Keen and the penultimate leap from a console dominated market!

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Hoooly crap, Dangerous Dave 1-3 has just been released! I've never thought I would see that for sale, ever! This is PC history, the precursor to Commander Keen and the penultimate leap from a console dominated market!

Does this mean GOG will get the other ID software classics such as Doom as well? I hope so.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Daikatana on GOG would be hilarious.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

They just might!

...But we'll never get Keen Dreams or Keen 6.

Ever. :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Starhawk64 posted:

Does this mean GOG will get the other ID software classics such as Doom as well? I hope so.
It doesn't mean anything in that regard: These games were published by Softdisk - Id only did the first of the three. Now, if Bethesda join GOG that will mean something, as they and Id are owned by the same parent company.

In less dream-deflatey news: Defender's Quest is out for ten bucks - a $5 discount.

EDIT:

THE BAR posted:

...But we'll never get Keen Dreams or Keen 6.

Ever. :smith:
IIRC Softdisk own the rights to both those games - the reason they aren't on Steam is because Softdisk won't sell them to Id for a price that remotely resembles "reasonable".

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I'd buy Keen Dreams and Keen 6. Used to play those games so much and the ones on Steam just aren't enough.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Zeether posted:

Daikatana on GOG would be hilarious.

It may be an old game, but I wouldn't qualify it as good. Then again, GOG also has garbage like Ultima 9, so who knows.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 30, 2012

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

^^^^^^ And Master of Orion 3. Besides, isn't the name supposed to not be an acronym anymore?

Zat posted:

I'd buy Keen Dreams and Keen 6. Used to play those games so much and the ones on Steam just aren't enough.

I don't even particularly want Dreams or 6 for their gameplay, but Dreams just have an incredible charm to it in its music, graphics and setting. Keen 6 is more for the sake of completion, Keen 4 has always been the top Keen for me.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 30, 2012

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Starhawk64 posted:

It may be an old game, but I wouldn't qualify it as good. Then again, GOG also has garbage like Megarace 3 and Ultima 9, so who knows.

You can't be serious because GOG never even had any pretense of having a requirement that for a game to be accepted, it should be good or classic or popular. Of course, this doesn't mean that they wouldn't listen to requests or follow the games voting in order to know what titles would be likely to sell well and are therefore worth pursuing.

Also, officially, the name GOG stopped standing for anything a while ago. They're now just "GOG", not "Good Old Games".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
And it's Gee-oh-gee, not Gog.

But we all just say Gog anyway. Gee-oh-gee sounds like something a teenage girl would say, oh-em-gee.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It'll always be Good Old Games to me. :arghfist::saddowns:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

And it's Gee-oh-gee, not Gog.

But we all just say Gog anyway. Gee-oh-gee sounds like something a teenage girl would say, oh-em-gee.

No one says gee-oh-gee, except those from Gog themselves, but they're kooky like that.

Still waiting for Dune 2, release that and the site has served its purpose.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
yeah it has a vowel in it I'll read it as gog.
I also do that with NES, or even SNES

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

THE BAR posted:

Shame they haven't put in Dangerous Dave in Copyright Infringement, but still, this is super cool!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

THE BAR posted:

No one says gee-oh-gee
I do :colbert: Gog makes me think of Gog and Magog, end times, Geoffrey of Monmouth and hills.

I wonder if they'll ever put up Theme Park? Sure the Rollercoaster Tycoon games are a lot better but I have fond memories of playing the old Bullfrog game as a kid. Also Powermonger, that was an awesome game.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

I do :colbert: Gog makes me think of Gog and Magog, end times, Geoffrey of Monmouth and hills.

I wonder if they'll ever put up Theme Park? Sure the Rollercoaster Tycoon games are a lot better but I have fond memories of playing the old Bullfrog game as a kid. Also Powermonger, that was an awesome game.

I just think of low tier ranged units in Heroes of Might and Magic III that you rarely, if ever upgrade.

I'm sure the other Theme games are coming down the line, not to mention the other Bullfrog games.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Why hasn`t toonstruck been released on Good Old Games, Gog, Gee Oh Gee yet? I love the service, but this is a crime!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think it should be pronounced "Good Ol' Games".

With a thick southern accent. And a banjo playing.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

macnbc posted:

This isn't correct? I've been doing this for years.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

macnbc posted:

Alternatively, you could say it in a thick Brooklyn accent, like a fedora-wearing gangster.

Who also owns a hat shop. Of fedoras.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
So, how unbelievably low are GOG's chances of signing a deal with Lucasarts now that Disney owns it?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

It will always be Good Old Games to me. That's what it was at launch, that's what inspired my initial interest, and that was 95% of the content until very recently (the other 5% being Not As Good Old Games).

I am just hoping that their success will sway more big name publishers/rights-holders to jump on board so they can keep delivering, well, good old games. :colbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BiggerJ posted:

So, how unbelievably low are GOG's chances of signing a deal with Lucasarts now that Disney owns it?

Well because they were bought wholesale it isn't like the distribution rights have split up into an unfathomable mess, so actually fairly good.

Disney wants to make more Star Wars films so they might well be interested in a proposal to breath life into some of the older games.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Cemetry Gator posted:

But we all just say Gog anyway.

quote:

When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the Earth - Gog and Magog - and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore.

quote:

In the prelude to the American invasion of Iraq in 2003, President George W. Bush told French President Jacques Chirac that biblical prophecies were being fulfilled there and that “Gog and Magog are at work in the Middle East."

When the world ends it will be your fault. :colbert:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

THE BAR posted:

This makes me hopeful for stuff like Xenon 2: Megablast and Star Goose.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

50% off Not Scary Games.
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/halloween_promo_31_10_12

There's the Creatures games, Rayman games, Botanicula, LBA2, and a few more.

I'm interested in a Creatures game. Which one should I buy?

Corky Kraptrucker
Oct 12, 2006
Being out of your box isn't a right. It's a privilege.
Can someone tell me how to reassign keys in Dungeon Keeper for Mac? I can't seem to get it to work. All I want to do is rotate my camera :(

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

The MSJ posted:

50% off Not Scary Games.
http://www.gog.com/en/promo/halloween_promo_31_10_12

There's the Creatures games, Rayman games, Botanicula, LBA2, and a few more.

I'm interested in a Creatures game. Which one should I buy?

Creatures: Exodus is the one to get. It's the newest one and has the best AI.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

I remember when the first Creatures came out, man was I excited. Looking at those screenshots made me all nostalgic.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Every so often I try to play Creatures then spend half an hour accomplishing roughly nothing while my Creature gets sick and dies :saddowns:

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Other DRM free store DotEmu has this Halloween pack on sale for €10/$15:

The 7Th Guest
The 11Th Hour
Realms of the Haunting
Dark Fall - The Journal
Dark Fall 2 - Lights out
Stonekeep
Litil Divil
Enclave Gold
Ghost Master
A Vampyre Story
The Abbey
Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When the hell did Superfrog show up on GOG, holy poo poo.

Does it still have the Lucozade branding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looks like Stronghold + Stronghold Crusader have appeared on GOG in their spiffy new HD versions. And they're on sale. So, does this mean I wasted my money on them several years ago?

Nope, the update is free. Neat!