Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Now all we need is an English release of the DQ123 collection, so we'll have all the main series as Dragon Quest, and not Warrior.

Or release 1, 2 and 3 on the 3DS VC.

I can't wait to play 7 for real, I never got past the first 5 hours or so on the PS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

SereneCrimson posted:

Now all we need is an English release of the DQ123 collection, so we'll have all the main series as Dragon Quest, and not Warrior.

Or release 1, 2 and 3 on the 3DS VC.

I can't wait to play 7 for real, I never got past the first 5 hours or so on the PS1.

I also can't wait for 7 3DS. I probably tried to play 7 like, 5 times and I never even got to the class system.

It was probably those goddamn shards that kept me back. Who thought it was a good idea to put important items you need to progress in the game in random pots at the end of totally generic dead end hallways?

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 31, 2012

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
gently caress yeah, Dragon Quest VII! Now I can finally replay the game after losing my 80 hour save file to a lovely 3rd party memory card. :unsmith:

Its too bad one of my favourite jokes ever is probably going to be retranslated to something less funny.

"Bone rider."

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

SereneCrimson posted:

I grew up with Dragon Warrior. DW1 was the first rpg I ever played, and I played more DW4 than any other game on the NES. I know why SE changed it then, and I understand why they changed it back...but I still call the series Dragon Warrior.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Neo Helbeast posted:

I figured I'd throw my 2 cents in here for multiplayer.

I don't have Terry's Wonderland, only Joker 2 Professional, and I did okay with a Metal King with regen HP/regen MP and the skill that gives all the spells, and the highest guy I could fit in the other two slots. Sometimes that was another Metal King or two, or a Strongest Metal Slime. You'd be surprised how many dudes can gently caress up even a Metal King with 200+ HP and regen HP, it blows your freaking mind.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Even though DQ7 is excessively long and grindy, I loved that about it. The amount of job classes is just insane. I hope the DS port adds even more classes.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
The JP release date is Feb. 7.
They're already taking preorders on Amazon Japan.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
WHY are they changing the graphics!!! The graphics that started with 7 and were used in 456 were some of the best cutest graphics from any video games of all time. I'm really frustrated right now... and sad..

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The new graphics will be pretty cute too nene. I did like the DS game's graphics though. Classic looking, but with that sexy camera rotation. They will be missed.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Hopefully they do 3d remakes of 1-3 after 7, then do 8.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
A DQ3 remake would almost certainly result in the classes being overhauled. Kind of a shame if that happens because whle they're simple they were fairly balanced* although adding another claw for Fighters would be nice since it started to hurt them late in the game.

A remake will probably give them skills like in DQ6+, if not add tiers and more classes like 6 and 7.

*except merchants, and technically goof-offs since their biggest perk (other than insane luck) was at level 20.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

voltron lion force posted:

You really think 8 is gonna get a remake? Unless you mean an HD remix thing, which I would buy instantly.

Yes, it will eventually get a remake. Just not soon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

A DQ3 remake would almost certainly result in the classes being overhauled. Kind of a shame if that happens because whle they're simple they were fairly balanced* although adding another claw for Fighters would be nice since it started to hurt them late in the game.

A remake will probably give them skills like in DQ6+, if not add tiers and more classes like 6 and 7.

*except merchants, and technically goof-offs since their biggest perk (other than insane luck) was at level 20.

I'd expect them to use a IX- or X-style class system rather the a VI- or VII-style one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I honestly don't like DQ9's class system that much. Having a system like in 6, but with some more monster classes, setup in a non-retarded way (like DQ7) would be ideal.

The only real benefit of DQ9's system was in keeping you from having a party with every ability in the game at the same time. Adding a few classes would mean turning DQ3's system in to DQ6's system. Using 8 or 9's system drastically changes how the game works. To some extent the people working on DQ6 knew/expected that there would be people doing stuff like leveling 3 sages until they have every spell, then changing some/all of them in to Fighter and Soldier builds because having access to stuff like Boom and Firevolt as well as HealAll and Revive was insane.

Even just having Bikill a Soldier or Fighter shortly after hitting Dharma made a big difference in difficulty. Spells like Defense/Sap were handy too but that's what the Orochi Sword was for.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Evil Fluffy posted:

To some extent the people working on DQ6 knew/expected that there would be people doing stuff like leveling 3 sages until they have every spell, then changing some/all of them in to Fighter and Soldier builds because having access to stuff like Boom and Firevolt as well as HealAll and Revive was insane.

This was present as early as DQ3, where it was wise to swap your characters' classes around. So if you had a soldier, pilgrim, and wizard, it was smart to make the wizard a sage, the soldier a pilgrim, and the pilgrim a soldier. And suddenly you kept all your classes intact while having three characters who could cast healall.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

3's class system was more breakable than any of its successors'. If I remember correctly, changing classes means you keep all your spells, and revert to level 1 with all your stats halved (not reduced to what they were at level 1!).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

3's class system was more breakable than any of its successors'. If I remember correctly, changing classes means you keep all your spells, and revert to level 1 with all your stats halved (not reduced to what they were at level 1!).

stats were halved however they were taken in to account when you started leveling again. Going from Pilgrim to Wizard had you getting a lot less MP/int, if any, compared to a newly created level 1 wizard.

Overall I think you ended up stronger stat-wise, but keep in mind that 6 and 7 had you keep all skills from other classes as well and the only difference was the bonus stats you had when using a maxxed class.

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
If memory serves each class in DQ3 has a general range of stats they are supposed to have at each level, so a level 2 Soldier/Warrior will have around 15 strength, a level 2 Wizard will have about that much intelligence, etc. Now, if you class change your Fighter who has around 160 strength and agility into a level 1 Pilgrim? Well, look forward to that 80 strength/agility Pilgrim having a 50/50 chance of gaining one/zero points in both stats when they hit level 2... and likely also when they hit level 35. It won't take long for him/her to start gaining intelligence at a normal Pilgrim rate though.

Overall, class change was mostly for the ability to gain new spells/skills and partly for the bonus of not having to head back to the starting area in order to train your now level 1 character(s) thanks to their stats being well above level 1 standards.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pretty sure they changed that after the original NES version.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

This one time my newly minted cleric gained 25 HP at level 2.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

This one time my newly minted cleric gained 25 HP at level 2.

What version of DW3 is this? Did someone finally translate the SNES version?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

What version of DW3 is this? Did someone finally translate the SNES version?

Yeah, dawg! Almost exactly three years ago, even. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1323/

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
FYI, Dq3 is unplayable on a DS, if you were thinking of trying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wendell posted:

Yeah, dawg! Almost exactly three years ago, even. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1323/

I didn't realize it'd been so long since I visited that site (among others). Time to see what other games I can finally play. :unsmith:

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Lots of screenshots are up for the 3DS remake of Dragon Quest VII: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20121115_571151.html?ref=rss

Official site: http://www.dragonquest.jp/dq7/

I'm really not liking how zoomed in the camera is, they have drastically reduced the amount of your surroundings that you can see. This will be particularly annoying when navigating dungeons if there is no option to change the zoom of the camera.

Also, pre-order bonuses! Everyone likes those, right?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They added the tag feature from DQ9 to this remake, didn't they? I hope they let you use Spotpass as well as Streetpass, a la Bravery Default.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So there's at least a little bit of visible equipment.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dr Pepper posted:

So there's at least a little bit of visible equipment.

Swords and shields are visible, but it looks like the outfits change with your job:

(Maribel is a Pirate here)

(Hero is a Ranger/Magic Knight/Armamentalist or whatever they called it in 9)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Having players and enemies up so close in battle looks weird to me. I know it's to balance first person and third person animations so the game flow won't slow down, but it doesn't look right. Maybe it'll look better in motion.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think it'll look better in 3D, since there will be a bit more depth to the battle scenes.

Gloam
Apr 28, 2012
The battle camera looks to be fairly similar to Opoona, which is by the same developer, I wonder if they'll do anything dynamic with the view for spells? Maybe it's best to keep it fixed in the interest of quickness, battles in DQVIII and IX could drag a little at times.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

weird bleep posted:

I'm really not liking how zoomed in the camera is, they have drastically reduced the amount of your surroundings that you can see. This will be particularly annoying when navigating dungeons if there is no option to change the zoom of the camera.

Ugh, that camera range is what kept me from going very far in Joker 2. It should be less of a thing in this game assuming it's still pure random battles but still...

Wendell
May 11, 2003

neongrey posted:

Ugh, that camera range is what kept me from going very far in Joker 2. It should be less of a thing in this game assuming it's still pure random battles but still...

Why would the randomness of the battles have any effect on what you think of the camera in the battles themselves?

Anyway, they aren't random and you're weird for wanting them to be.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

Why would the randomness of the battles have any effect on what you think of the camera in the battles themselves?

Anyway, they aren't random and you're weird for wanting them to be.

That's excellent and solves what I thought was the biggest problem of VII - encounter rate. I hope the class exp system is reworked though. That was the only thing that benefited from the encounter rate being what it was.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

What was the problem with 7's encounter rate? It wasn't any noticeably different from most other DQ games.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Evil Fluffy posted:

What was the problem with 7's encounter rate? It wasn't any noticeably different from most other DQ games.

I always felt it was higher than the others, personally. I don't exactly have science to back it up or anything, but that's the impression I came away with.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm trying to play Dragon Quest V and I keep getting killed. I'm only at the second town heading to the castle at night, and the monsters outside the town are enough to kill me regularly. God help me if 6 of them appear at the same time. Is this normal? I know old Dragon Quest games are grindy but this seems unusually bad.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Vegetable posted:

I'm trying to play Dragon Quest V and I keep getting killed. I'm only at the second town heading to the castle at night, and the monsters outside the town are enough to kill me regularly. God help me if 6 of them appear at the same time. Is this normal? I know old Dragon Quest games are grindy but this seems unusually bad.

For some reason (I'm speaking only from the DS version) that beginning part is kinda bad, but the game overall is not very hard. It does require a bit of grinding to start with, but honestly after then I never needed to grind. At least that was my experience.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Yeah the beginning is loving brutal for some reason but at least it's not as bad as IV's buff every battle or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Grinding up enough gold to get the boomerang is a huge help in that section IIRC.