Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Now that's a sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

How does his skin get to to be that color...:gonk:

Also I'm ashamed to say that I thought the first book of the Dark Nest (bug orgy) trilogy wasn't terrible. I read it a while ago though, so I may be misremembering.

I do know that my copy has a print version of Walter John Williams' "Ylesia" e-book in the back of it. It's a really fun little story.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Oct 31, 2012

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think I'm going to send my resume to Disney on the grounds that I'm a Star Wars expert.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hello Towel posted:

How does his skin get to to be that color...:gonk:
No plaid. It's not him.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:10bux: talk. Bob Iger, the CEO of Disney said that the acquisition of Lucasfilm will be slightly 'dilutive' (ie hurt Disney's bottom line) for the first two year after the acquisition, and then become 'accreative' (help Disney's bottom line) in 2015, which is when the movie will be released.

As an aspiring CPA, I'm curious to know how much of that 4.05 billion gets written into "Goodwill".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SirPhoebos posted:

As an aspiring CPA, I'm curious to know how much of that 4.05 billion gets written into "Goodwill".

A negative number. Because there is no goodwill from this. Butthurt fans, even the rational ones, are drowning this buy-out in a tide of online bile. That said...there are plenty of consumers that don't give a poo poo who owns LucasFilm and will go see Star Wars VII anyway.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

jivjov posted:

A negative number. Because there is no goodwill from this. Butthurt fans, even the rational ones, are drowning this buy-out in a tide of online bile. That said...there are plenty of consumers that don't give a poo poo who owns LucasFilm and will go see Star Wars VII anyway.

I somehow doubt that, given that these same butthurt fans are the first in line to gobble up new Star Wars merchandise. Like how I'll probably see the midnight release of Episode VII.

Fake Edit: I guess I should explain: from a financial standpoint, "goodwill" refers to the monetary valuation of a company over the fair market value of it's assets less liabilities. Goodwill is only created during the acquisition of one company by another. At the time of the purchase, all the assets and liabilities are evaluated at their fair market value, and those values are what goes onto the acquiring company's financial records. Whatever amount that the buying company paid that exceeds this value is classified as "goodwill" :eng101:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Somebody with some artistic talent draw Mickey and Thrawn dancing on George's grave.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Well, they've had Star Wars stuff at Disneyland and Disney World for a while now. Their Jedi Academy training show looks pretty adorable; I wish they'd had it when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5mK7dzyUkM

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
This is... absolutely fine.

Firstly, whether or not we see a post-Jedi retcon, that stuff still hasn't gone away. It's there if people prefer it.

That said, plenty of reasons this is a good thing:

1. Lucas no longer in charge. This is the best news for the Star Wars franchise.
2. Disney does good things with Star Wars (Star Tours) and good things with its acquisitions: The Marvel films were great, and they clearly understand the Right Way to do things, given they put Joss in charge of those.
3. Lucasfilm itself has matured, since Eps 1 & 2. The Clone Wars cartoon shows a clear understanding of the whole universe's potential, with a great mix of Prequel and Original themes and styles. The new game, 1313, gets this too.
4. Disney isn't a kids' company, it's a family company. Look at the Lion King, Toy Story, Wall-E, Up. These films are for adults too. Bringing Star Wars world closer to Pixar's storytellers can't be a bad thing.

So, lots to be optimistic about.

You're all right though, there's a risk of a post-Jedi retcon. I think it's early to say what they'll do there. They'll know there'll be fan fallout from erasing 25 years of novels and favourite characters, but that's unlikely to be balanced out by not keeping ties to Vader, the Empire, the Skywalkers, etc; and trying to weave such a story into existing canon may be prohibitively restrictive. We'll see.

Oh, and Star Wars theme park on the Disney site please.

Edit: I'd not be suprised if, to placate fans and get everyone on board, they try to emphasise 'fan favourite' things. Like versions of the films where Greedo shoots first, Ewoks don't blink, and so on. And once they know where their canon is going, rerelease all of the most popular EU materials. There's a lot of risk of people losing interest, given the huge existing canon, some of which may be overwritten, so it makes sense to put effort into respecting the whiners.

EddieDean fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 31, 2012

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I want to see them put an end to Lucasarts revolving management. It's not just the management either, with the big layoffs that came after TFU II, I'd bet 85% of the staff haven't been there for more than 4 years. There would be no sense of continuation, or retention of lessons learned.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Well, they've had Star Wars stuff at Disneyland and Disney World for a while now...

EddieDean" posted:

...Disney does good things with Star Wars (Star Tours) and good things with its acquisitions: The Marvel films were great, and they clearly understand the Right Way to do things, given they put Joss in charge of those...Oh, and Star Wars theme park on the Disney site please...

Yeah, this is what I was going to say. Disney & Lucas have been collaborating for years, particularly at the theme parks, which I frequent. With the exception of some projects in Eisner's later years, Disney has never half-assed anything, ever. Not its films, not its parks, not its merch. This is a 100% positive move for the franchise. And EddieDean, you'll almost certainly get half your wish granted: Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida is likely going to expand the Star Tours area (and possibly all of Echo Lake, fingers crossed please please please I wish) into its own Star Wars-themed "land." For those that have never been there, they've put a lot of work into its theming since day one:

The entrance to Star Tours is its own little mini-Endor, complete with near-life-size AT-AT that you walk under to get on the ride. And even the Star Wars gift shop (Tatooine Traders, I think) is perfectly done, inside and out.

Last time I went, I bought a Yoda backpack.

That's not me. When I brought it to the register, the clerk asked me if I'd like it sent to my hotel room. "No," I said, "I'll be wearing it out." She made eye contact with my horrified wife, then gave me an employee discount, I guess because she felt sorry for my wife. But I digress. My point is that Disney greatly values its properties, especially the ones it forks over $4 billion for. As well as they've done with Pixar and Marvel, they'll do with Star Wars times ten. And Pththya, yeah, Jedi Academy is a hoot to watch.

So, imagine in your head that the Star Wars prequel trilogy was made to the standard of quality as The Avengers. OK, that's probably what you'll get out of the sequel trilogy. This is definitely something to look forward to.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I think the EU will get mostly disregarded, but I'm willing to bet now that Thrawn will make some appearance in the new movie.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Personal pie-in-sky wishlist item #1: Zahn and Stover brought on as "creative consultants" at the same level as Lucas.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

api call girl posted:

Personal pie-in-sky wishlist item #1: Zahn and Stover brought on as "creative consultants" at the same level as Lucas.
While we're dreaming, go for the gold and have them work directly with the writers on the story :fap:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

api call girl posted:

Oh god this. This.

This might be a good thing for Lucas. Now he too is free. Free to try and make good indie movies again without living up to the expectations of millions of nerds.

God speed you crazy vision obsessed plaid wearing beardy bastard.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I just hope they don't completely end sales of any of the Dark Horse comics. I realize Marvel is likely going to get that gig now but I'll be pissed if I can't buy the rest of the Omnibuses. :argh:

Also, does anyone think this will make the older games more or less likely to show up on Steam or GoG?

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 31, 2012

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:
I am hoping in the deepest parts of my soul that the Thrawn Trilogy is what they go with, even if it is CG. I also think Hugo Weaving would be a GREAT Thrawn, CG or not.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Aciid c0d3r posted:

I am hoping in the deepest parts of my soul that the Thrawn Trilogy is what they go with, even if it is CG. I also think Hugo Weaving would be a GREAT Thrawn, CG or not.

I think one good thing is that even if they end up doing some far into the future or different story line for Episode 7, we're likely to see the Thrawn Trilogy as a direct to video movie kind of how they do all the Batman comics. It could work!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
For what it's worth, I think that if somebody competent was put in charge and appropriate adjustments were made in the adaptation, a good movie could be made from the Dark Empire series,

One proposition that I've seen bandied about has been a remake of the prequel trilogy. Obviously, that's pretty unlikely, but it's more or less every Star Wars fan's dream, isn't it?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Leland Chee is going to have an interesting time come 2015.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Leland Chee is going to have an interesting time come 2015.

This is probably a good time to ... transition to other ... opportunities.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
After watching the Ewok movies it is pretty obvious Ewoks and especially Wicket who are huge dicks who just pretended to not understand or speak English. God those movies sucked and Wilfred Brimley was obviously just there for the pay check .

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

api call girl posted:

I would go see Heroes Die in Space a bajillion times. Or more.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

api call girl posted:

Funny you mention that:

Timothy Zahn's Facebook posted:

We got home from Tampa and Necronomicon late last night (after a full day of flying) to the stunning news of the Disney/Lucasfilm deal. It's going to take a little time to process my thoughts, but I'll try to post some comments here later today.

But to answer a few of the most immediate questions:

1. No, I haven't been contacted by either Disney or LFL.
2. There's no indication that anything from the Thrawn Trilogy (or any other EU book/comic will be part of the new movies.
3. There's also no indication that they *won't* make an appearance. Right now, we really have nothing on any of those details.
4. If Disney *did* want to use anything from the EU, they wouldn't need the author's approval or permission to do so. Everything that's been written under the Star Wars logo is LFL properly (as is only right and proper), and they can do with it as they please.
5. If by some miracle Disney *does* want my input on the project, I *will* be on the next flight to California. Heck, I'll charter a plane if I have to.

That's all for now. More thoughts when my brain wakes up a bit.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

After watching the Ewok movies it is pretty obvious Ewoks and especially Wicket who are huge dicks who just pretended to not understand or speak English. God those movies sucked and Wilfred Brimley was obviously just there for the pay check .
Apparently they handwaved that away as Wicket learning some other language than Basic and it just being translated to English for the viewer's convenience. Not that those movies didn't suck.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Urdnot Fire posted:

Apparently they handwaved that away as Wicket learning some other language than Basic and it just being translated to English for the viewer's convenience. Not that those movies didn't suck.

Well then they should have kept it as Wicket speaking in Ewok and having in narrated by David Attenborough

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

bobkatt013 posted:

Well then they should have kept it as Wicket speaking in Ewok and having in narrated by David Hyde Pierce.

FIFY

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012
One article is quoting a source from Lucasfilm saying the story treatments they will be using for Ep. 7 come from Lucas himself and is "an original story," so not based on any of the EU.

http://www.eonline.com/news/358685/star-wars-7-plot-will-be-an-original-story-says-lucasfilm-source

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well, now that I know Lucas is still going to be involved my expectations have dropped heavily.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, now that I know Lucas is still going to be involved my expectations have dropped heavily.

Lucas was involved with all the films. As long as he isn't Godemperor things should be fine.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Emphasis should be put on the fact that they are treatments. Which is good, I think-Lucas has shown that he's good with doing 'big ideas'. Disney will definitely hire someone else to write the story. Heck, they can disregard the treatment all together (though I think it's probable that it'll serve as the basis of the next 3 movies).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

He wont be directing or writing the script. It is going to be ok.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

SirPhoebos posted:

Emphasis should be put on the fact that they are treatments. Which is good, I think-Lucas has shown that he's good with doing 'big ideas'. Disney will definitely hire someone else to write the story. Heck, they can disregard the treatment all together (though I think it's probable that it'll serve as the basis of the next 3 movies).

That, and it's late 2012. The movie is targeted for 2015. Who knows what the hell they'll end up doing? I remember all the BS rumors flying around before Episode I.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So the "can't believe that was greenlit" thread was also discussing the Disney/Star Wars news and someone made mention of a series of blogs written up as the author showed the movies to his young boys for the first time.

It's really a fantastic read. He also shows them in the 4/5/1/2/3/6 order and comments about how it actually plays to the viewer (for his kids and for himself who hasn't seen any of the films for many years).

I'll link them here since they're a bit hard to find.
ANH
ESB
TPM
AOTC
ROTS
ROTJ

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Maybe Disney will allow someone competent to trim out a lot of the EU crap. I mean, I'd like to see the Solo kids, Thrawn, some of the established locales (Dathomir, Outer Rim stuff), the Imperial Remnant, and even the Vong stick around.

I always took a lot of the books, especially older stuff like the Lando trilogy and the Crispin Han Solo stuff, as essentially the story as told by Lando or Han. It doesn't really make 100% sense, but most of it is true and the stuff that got retconned was just hyperbole.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
What I want most dearly of all is a series of Coruscant Nights movies. Move away from the big, sweeping, galaxy-wide conflict and give us a tough-as-nails Jedi-detective. Bonus points if they keep the semi-noir style of the books.

e: also Wraith Squadron

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Can you imagine a full season of a TV show of the Wraiths gone pirate?

Aciid c0d3r
Jun 21, 2008
"Shouldn't you be out mowing the lawn, or spending time with your wife?"
\
:backtowork:

api call girl posted:

Can you imagine a full season of a TV show of the Wraiths gone pirate?

Hell yes I can! :wookie::fh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Aciid c0d3r posted:

Hell yes I can! :wookie::fh:

Oh god, now I've just been reminded of that masturbation scene in the holiday special! :gonk: