Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Sprint thread, why is Sprint so terrible?

So back in July and August, my boyfriend had a BlackBerry that just stopped receiving text messages. The quality of his calls also dropped dramatically. We literally tried to troubleshoot this problem for upwards of two months and it seemed to escalate in about eight separate and distinct directions. First they said that it was something specifically wrong with his plan. Satellites or whatever. They said it would get fixed at the end of July. It did not. Finally, once we followed through on that, they chose to blame the BlackBerry and said they would send him a refurbished BlackBerry of the same make. They did indeed send a BlackBerry, which was then proven to be nonfunctional; a call to troubleshoot that particular problem revealed that the phone they sent was flagged in their system as basically "damaged beyond repair".

After this they sent a refurbished HTC Evo for free, like they did us a loving favor or something. His call quality was (and remains) pretty bad regardless, though he installed Google Voice so he could at least receive and return texts. That's the phone he's been on for the past two-odd months. Our going assumption is now that something is just hosed up with his service and they are intentionally not fixing it because they are lazy fuckers. He is too chill about this despite having about twenty things going on simultaneously. Okay, fine.

Then he preordered the new iPhone at a local Sprint store. When it didn't come in at the estimated date, I asked him if he'd received a receipt or confirmation or some kind of tracking number. He is a very flighty person and consistently answered this question noncommittally. Well, okay, whatever. Some people don't keep receipts very well. He said he'd called the Sprint store occasionally and received vague answers about the phone not having come in "yet". Finally, weeks later, he got fed up and called Sprint directly. As it turned out, the guy at the store had never even ordered the loving thing. He ended up reordering the phone manually with corporate, paying full price for a phone that he was told had been preordered but that he still didn't receive until about a full month after it came out. :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Anyway, good news, today he got the phone and he just changed his number! Which I am elated about because for some inane reason I wondered if that could maybe wangle us some inchoate solution for his consistently poor service and the total lack of text messaging service that he pays for every month. He changed it literally today, and by all accounts this process should be close to immediate--I could be wrong, I haven't changed my number in a very long time--but now whenever he makes outgoing calls the service tells him the call can't be completed; the same occurs when I try to call him.

The idea of having an iPhone that won't make a goddamn call is blowing my loving mind right now. How do I escalate this? I am about to go take a steaming poo poo on the floor of the Sprint store because my boyfriend is a heck of a nice guy who keeps getting shafted by this wasteland of a company. Dear god, Sprint thread, give me somebody to threaten. I have flames on the side of my face.

I will also accept explanations as to why his new number won't work yet. Is there a grace period here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Swillkitsch posted:

Sprint thread, why is Sprint so terrible?

So back in July and August, my boyfriend had a BlackBerry that just stopped receiving text messages. The quality of his calls also dropped dramatically. We literally tried to troubleshoot this problem for upwards of two months and it seemed to escalate in about eight separate and distinct directions. First they said that it was something specifically wrong with his plan. Satellites or whatever. They said it would get fixed at the end of July. It did not. Finally, once we followed through on that, they chose to blame the BlackBerry and said they would send him a refurbished BlackBerry of the same make. They did indeed send a BlackBerry, which was then proven to be nonfunctional; a call to troubleshoot that particular problem revealed that the phone they sent was flagged in their system as basically "damaged beyond repair".

After this they sent a refurbished HTC Evo for free, like they did us a loving favor or something. His call quality was (and remains) pretty bad regardless, though he installed Google Voice so he could at least receive and return texts. That's the phone he's been on for the past two-odd months. Our going assumption is now that something is just hosed up with his service and they are intentionally not fixing it because they are lazy fuckers. He is too chill about this despite having about twenty things going on simultaneously. Okay, fine.

Then he preordered the new iPhone at a local Sprint store. When it didn't come in at the estimated date, I asked him if he'd received a receipt or confirmation or some kind of tracking number. He is a very flighty person and consistently answered this question noncommittally. Well, okay, whatever. Some people don't keep receipts very well. He said he'd called the Sprint store occasionally and received vague answers about the phone not having come in "yet". Finally, weeks later, he got fed up and called Sprint directly. As it turned out, the guy at the store had never even ordered the loving thing. He ended up reordering the phone manually with corporate, paying full price for a phone that he was told had been preordered but that he still didn't receive until about a full month after it came out. :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

Anyway, good news, today he got the phone and he just changed his number! Which I am elated about because for some inane reason I wondered if that could maybe wangle us some inchoate solution for his consistently poor service and the total lack of text messaging service that he pays for every month. He changed it literally today, and by all accounts this process should be close to immediate--I could be wrong, I haven't changed my number in a very long time--but now whenever he makes outgoing calls the service tells him the call can't be completed; the same occurs when I try to call him.

The idea of having an iPhone that won't make a goddamn call is blowing my loving mind right now. How do I escalate this? I am about to go take a steaming poo poo on the floor of the Sprint store because my boyfriend is a heck of a nice guy who keeps getting shafted by this wasteland of a company. Dear god, Sprint thread, give me somebody to threaten. I have flames on the side of my face.

I will also accept explanations as to why his new number won't work yet. Is there a grace period here?

Your boyfriend sounds like a huge baby who can't handle the simple task of talking to someone in person and getting his poo poo taken care of. Maybe try e/n??

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Buddy, if you're not here to help out then kindly gently caress off.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Wow, that really sucks about the Nexus 4. I was sort of looking forward to it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Did sprint say they're for sure not getting it or are people assuming that since the unlocked one is GSM? Are there simply going to be no carrier specific (and hence no CDMA) nexus 4s?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

falz posted:

Did sprint say they're for sure not getting it or are people assuming that since the unlocked one is GSM? Are there simply going to be no carrier specific (and hence no CDMA) nexus 4s?

Andy Rubin has said in no uncertain terms that Nexus devices going forward will not be anything other than HSPA+. They are not interested in doing any hybrid device with more than one radio technology.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="409038549"]
Ender, do you know exactly where those Jersey towers are?

The s4gru.com maps will show that. If you donate like 5-10 bux you get access to all that info. I try not to wholesale rip that stuff because the guy who runs the site is doing it on his own dime and it takes up a lot of his time.

Swillkitsch posted:

There can be up to like 4 hours before a phone fully activates. The iPhone should be working by now. It may be a problem with his local tower if the issues mainly happen in one location.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Well, I guess that means an EVOLTE is the only choice. Im not really willing to downgrade to a GN and I don't like the S3 screen as much as I like the EVOLTE. Have you guys had any real issues with the EVOLTE over the last few months?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Well, I guess that means an EVOLTE is the only choice. Im not really willing to downgrade to a GN and I don't like the S3 screen as much as I like the EVOLTE. Have you guys had any real issues with the EVOLTE over the last few months?

I hear it's pretty good outside the fact that they took a Sense-flavored poo poo all over the UI.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The digitizer in my EVO 3D is dying. I get random spates of phantom touches, then it works fine for a while. I would have already taken it in to the corporate store to have it fixed under TEP, but the thing is rooted and running a custom ROM. I assume they'd use that as an excuse to deny service. I really don't know why I pay for TEP on two SERO EVO 3Ds.

152 days to go until I'm eligible for an upgrade discount. LTE even might be done in the Indianapolis market! :negative:

edit: The latest Nexus model doesn't have LTE anyway, so I might as well wait around for whatever takes the "good android handset" title away from the S3.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 30, 2012

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Swillkitsch posted:

Nah, I would say the store he keeps going back to is just lovely. It sucks, but unfortunately some stores and employees are not as good as others.

Thankfully you can vote with your wallet. If that store hosed up, go to another store. If sprint coverage sucks in your area (sounds likely), sell the iPhone and switch to Att or Verizon.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
So I've been pretty frustrated with Sprint lately. I live in Brooklyn and have had absolutely terrible signal in my apartment since I switched to them (last October). I called them up earlier this year to complain so they sent me an Airave for free. The thing is completely garbage. Not only does it not improve my signal, but I also get duplicate texts and other issues. I have a corporate discount and my contract has been going for 13 months so far.

Basically, I was wondering if there is any hope of canceling my contract without getting an ETF. I don't know if I can take another year of this garbage and it seems like there's nothing else they can do to improve my signal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

UncleGuito posted:

So I've been pretty frustrated with Sprint lately. I live in Brooklyn and have had absolutely terrible signal in my apartment since I switched to them (last October). I called them up earlier this year to complain so they sent me an Airave for free. The thing is completely garbage. Not only does it not improve my signal, but I also get duplicate texts and other issues. I have a corporate discount and my contract has been going for 13 months so far.

Basically, I was wondering if there is any hope of canceling my contract without getting an ETF. I don't know if I can take another year of this garbage and it seems like there's nothing else they can do to improve my signal.

If you use too much roaming data Sprint will nix your contract sans-ETF.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

UncleGuito posted:

Network Vision is actively deploying in NYC right now so within a year or less you should stop having issues, possibly much faster depending on exactly how the deployment goes. It's up to you if you want to wait it out or not. The 800Mhz SMR frequencies should give way better in-building coverage too.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

The Entire Universe posted:

If you use too much roaming data Sprint will nix your contract sans-ETF.

Doesn't this take a few months for them to pick up though?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

A few weeks ago I was eligible for an upgrade and went with the Galaxy Nexus. Online and in-store the price was supposed to be $99, but when I purchased the phone the price was $149, and the rep said I can get the rest "by rebate". Well, nothing in the phone's box or in my bag says anything at all about a rebate, so I went to the sprint website and the only thing I could find about rebates was this:

https://shop2.sprint.com/en/promotions/mailInRebate.shtml

where apparently there's some American Express Rewards card now? Also, my phone isn't listed in the available rebates there.

Has anyone else dealt with rebates from Sprint? Have I been screwed out of $50?

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

giogadi posted:

A few weeks ago I was eligible for an upgrade and went with the Galaxy Nexus. Online and in-store the price was supposed to be $99, but when I purchased the phone the price was $149, and the rep said I can get the rest "by rebate". Well, nothing in the phone's box or in my bag says anything at all about a rebate, so I went to the sprint website and the only thing I could find about rebates was this:

https://shop2.sprint.com/en/promotions/mailInRebate.shtml

where apparently there's some American Express Rewards card now? Also, my phone isn't listed in the available rebates there.

Has anyone else dealt with rebates from Sprint? Have I been screwed out of $50?

Did you click the link that says "Rebate form" because the galaxy nexus is listed.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Loucks posted:

The digitizer in my EVO 3D is dying. I get random spates of phantom touches, then it works fine for a while. I would have already taken it in to the corporate store to have it fixed under TEP, but the thing is rooted and running a custom ROM. I assume they'd use that as an excuse to deny service. I really don't know why I pay for TEP on two SERO EVO 3Ds.

You could just NANDROID a backup and flash back to stock when you take it in; it's not like they go into the bootloader to check your hboot status or anything.

That said, if you're going to take it in and claim it on TEP (if they take it), and they send you a replacement, it won't be a 3D, it'll likely be an EVO 4G; they're flat out of 3Ds and told me they were never getting any more in (as we learned when my wife sent hers in for some corrosion under the screen and they charged us $100 for an EVO 4G we could've picked up off eBay for $50).

I'm having literally the same problem with you, so, maybe try replacing the digitizer yourself? In any case, get those things off TEP immediately. Ain't worth it.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Giblet posted:

Did you click the link that says "Rebate form" because the galaxy nexus is listed.

Oh. Wow. Okay I just wrapped my head around how that works. I expected to see the Nexus with the other Samsung phones. For some reason I had assumed that I needed to make the purchase using some specific card. Ok, thanks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

UncleGuito posted:

Doesn't this take a few months for them to pick up though?

I'm pretty sure people have posted in this thread regarding Sprint dropping them (or someone they know) after 1-2 months of heavy roaming use, so I think it may be related to how much you use. If you only use a couple hundred MB then you may be ignored for a few months. Go hog wild and start streaming Netflix over roaming data? poo poo your next bill may be your last.

Worst case scenario you pay Sprint prices for Verizon speeds/coverage for a few months.

Cock Democracy
Jan 1, 2003

Now that is the finest piece of chilean sea bass I have ever smelled
I live near the jersey shore (toms river) and have been seeing some weird stuff since the storm. I previously had great sprint service at my house, but now there's no regular service and it's roaming on verizon. Our area does have power. Last night I was able to make calls on roaming, but now, it plays a message saying something like, "thanks for calling verizon wireless, to continue making your call by credit card or collect call, please stay on the line for a representative... " Is verizon so overloaded that they aren't allowing my regular free roaming?

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

A couple questions:

1. My wife and my OG Evo4Gs are both exhibiting charger port issues (intermittent charging based on cable placement/angle). I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether this is a repair that would be covered by TEP, or if we'd have to file insurance claims and pay $200 in deductibles. Duckman said in this thread that since it's a known issue it would be covered by TEP, but elsewhere online I read that since only a "few" Evos were affected by bad soldering it's a tech's judgement call and most of the time get's labeled as wear and tear. Thoughts?

2. I think we're both ready to update to something new and are out of contract and have subsidized updates available. The most important thing for us would be Jellybean and/or Cyanogenmod support for at least a year or two. I suppose that means Galaxy Nexus, yes? If so, does it make more sense to burn subsidies on that? I plan on sticking with Sprint simply because I refuse to give money to VZ or ATT and Tmobile is non-existent in northern Michigan (and the promise of SoftBank money to help NV rollout I suppose). Does this make sense?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Cock Democracy posted:

I live near the jersey shore (toms river) and have been seeing some weird stuff since the storm. I previously had great sprint service at my house, but now there's no regular service and it's roaming on verizon. Our area does have power. Last night I was able to make calls on roaming, but now, it plays a message saying something like, "thanks for calling verizon wireless, to continue making your call by credit card or collect call, please stay on the line for a representative... " Is verizon so overloaded that they aren't allowing my regular free roaming?

I'm in Jersey, too, and everything Sprint is down for me, too. A friend's Sprint phone is giving the same messages that you're getting. It's a dumb phone, so I don't know if that is affecting things. My phone is forced to Verizon roaming due to using a Verizon PRL, and it's working the same as before.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Krime posted:

I literally just got off the phone, same situation, EVO and SERO and all.

They charge a credit/debit card. Activation fee goes on your bill.

I'll have my Note II on Friday! :getin:

Hello fellow Sero/Note II user! Just got the phone yesterday, I was upgrading from a kyocera echo (ugh) and the Note II is simply night and day. Super fast, amazing screen, tons of features. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the size, 5.5 inches is definitely on the cusp of being too unwieldy to hold with 1 hand.

dundun fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 31, 2012

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I still have my old legacy SERO account and my work is now providing me with a free unlimited Verizon plan + smart phone. Well, as unlimited as Verizon gets anyway.

So how do I go about selling my SERO account?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Deathlove posted:

You could just NANDROID a backup and flash back to stock when you take it in; it's not like they go into the bootloader to check your hboot status or anything.

That said, if you're going to take it in and claim it on TEP (if they take it), and they send you a replacement, it won't be a 3D, it'll likely be an EVO 4G; they're flat out of 3Ds and told me they were never getting any more in (as we learned when my wife sent hers in for some corrosion under the screen and they charged us $100 for an EVO 4G we could've picked up off eBay for $50).

I'm having literally the same problem with you, so, maybe try replacing the digitizer yourself? In any case, get those things off TEP immediately. Ain't worth it.

They don't look at hboot? Weird. Anyway, I don't want an old EVO, so I guess I'll buy the gear for a replacement from eBay. It doesn't seem all that difficult, I just didn't want to deal with the hassle.

And yeah, they're coming off TEP later tonight. I thought my spouse removed that months ago, but $16/month isn't the end of the world.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

dundun posted:

Hello fellow Sero/Note II user! Just got the phone yesterday, I was upgrading from a kyocera echo (ugh) and the Note II is simply night and day. Super fast, amazing screen, tons of features. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the size, 5.5 inches is definitely on the cusp of being too unwieldy to hold with 1 hand.

Yeah, I went to a store to play around with one first. I'm a big guy with big man hands so I'm not too worried about it. I know its going to take some getting used to, but I'll be just fine.

Have you found the toggles that move the keyboard to one side of the device or the other for one handed use? Does that help at all?

How much have you played with the S Pen?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Haji posted:

I still have my old legacy SERO account and my work is now providing me with a free unlimited Verizon plan + smart phone. Well, as unlimited as Verizon gets anyway.

So how do I go about selling my SERO account?
You find another SERO account holder who wants to buy it, then call Employee Care and do a Transfer Of Liability. And pray that the rep on the phone is willing to help you, unlike whoever bobula spoke with on the previous page.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Krime posted:

Yeah, I went to a store to play around with one first. I'm a big guy with big man hands so I'm not too worried about it. I know its going to take some getting used to, but I'll be just fine.

Have you found the toggles that move the keyboard to one side of the device or the other for one handed use? Does that help at all?

How much have you played with the S Pen?

So far I've just been using Swype, which makes typing with 1 hand alot easier. I've played with the S-Pen for a bit, and it has some pretty neat features, but like alot of reviews said there are just not many apps which take advantage of it. When I was showing the phone to some friends today I totally forgot about the stylus features, but YMMV.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

amenenema posted:

A couple questions:

1. My wife and my OG Evo4Gs are both exhibiting charger port issues (intermittent charging based on cable placement/angle). I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether this is a repair that would be covered by TEP, or if we'd have to file insurance claims and pay $200 in deductibles. Duckman said in this thread that since it's a known issue it would be covered by TEP, but elsewhere online I read that since only a "few" Evos were affected by bad soldering it's a tech's judgement call and most of the time get's labeled as wear and tear. Thoughts?

When I had an Evo3D that had an iffy charging issue, the tech at the store said as long as it barely registered they covered it. If it was to the point where when plugged in and nothing happens, then it'd require a deductible with Asurion

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

uapyro posted:

When I had an Evo3D that had an iffy charging issue, the tech at the store said as long as it barely registered they covered it. If it was to the point where when plugged in and nothing happens, then it'd require a deductible with Asurion

Cool, I guess I'll give it a shot.

I'd still love feedback on what a Sprint user looking to upgrade should do, thanks all!

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

dundun posted:

I was upgrading from a kyocera echo (ugh)

Wait, really? I have never once seen one of these in use outside of a Sprint store.
How was it?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

td4guy posted:

You find another SERO account holder who wants to buy it, then call Employee Care and do a Transfer Of Liability. And pray that the rep on the phone is willing to help you, unlike whoever bobula spoke with on the previous page.

Yeah, I tried again this morning and finally had to give up. :sigh:

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

Deathlove posted:

Wow, is TEP so bad now that they are allowed to downgrade you? They used to only give you equivalent devices, and if nothing was available then you got an upgrade. If the program has devolved to the point of them giving you an older, inferior device and charging you for it, I'm going to drop it this month.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

bigpolar posted:

Wow, is TEP so bad now that they are allowed to downgrade you? They used to only give you equivalent devices, and if nothing was available then you got an upgrade. If the program has devolved to the point of them giving you an older, inferior device and charging you for it, I'm going to drop it this month.

Can't speak for Asurion, which operates with different inventory than Sprint. Last I checked Sprint still has 3Ds, albeit backordered again. The exchange list varies wildly device to device, and honestly if it seems too conservative on offering newer devices, it's probably because of both costs and employees like me who start doing exchanges like crazy for customers that have an older device. Last week the Design was able to be exchanged for the Epic Touch, but usually instances like that is due to inventory now.

The 3D specifically is probably a Tough spot because of how many issues the hardware has had. It's just simply that the phone sucks at this point. Exchange offerings change week to week, so with it being backordered again, fingers crossed that they throw a bone for people.

Oh, someone had a question on the original Evo charging port issues. Officially, it's the techs judgement call on whether its physical damage, and supposedly the store gets charged back if we send back a damaged port (hence why some stores are picky). Our store has yet to have that happen, and we are not picky on charging ports, so really there isn't much reason a tech shouldn't exchange an Evo at $0 cost except out of fear or douchebaggery.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Oh, someone had a question on the original Evo charging port issues.

Thanks!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well finally swapped to the EVO LTE from my arrive since HTC wants me to test some stuff on it. Sero support makes the swap painless and I may be interested in that Sero account for sale.

Anyway things I like about this thing.
Awesome screen, fast processor and gpu, Swype, mkv video support, a bit more tweekable, overclockable, better notification system, and a better camera for now.

What I dislike.
Sense contact syncing broken, device still hitches here and there with sense and even sometimes with cm10, horrible social integration, (though the Facebook and Twitter apps aren't bad, the widgets outside what sense gives you stink.), no zune/Xbox music pass, poor email client, I actually miss live tiles, and no office.

For sure when Sprint finally gets a WP8 device I will be getting that, but it is interesting using the other side as a primary device again. I tried a evo 4g for a month back in 2010 and while I liked it more than my tp2 at the time, even then it had sync and lots of sms issues that were annoying and even wm6.x didn't have. Still the EVO 4G LTE is one nice piece of hardware.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

If having a strong and working LTE connection is priority for you, I would avoid the Evo LTE. The LTE radio is piss poor and can barely hold a connection or even connect to one. HTC and Sprint have both failed to acknowledge the issue, though it's prevalent if you read about it on xda and S4GRU. The small amount of LTE coverage nationwide also adds to the lack of outcry over this issue. They've also seemingly dropped support for the phone since the GS3 got Jelly Bean before the LTE Evo did.

Developer support for the Evo LTE is pretty bad too. Other than build quality, the GS3 is probably the better choice. Think about it a little more or at least read up on some of the problems with the LTE radio.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

If having a strong and working LTE connection is priority for you, I would avoid the Evo LTE. The LTE radio is piss poor and can barely hold a connection or even connect to one. HTC and Sprint have both failed to acknowledge the issue, though it's prevalent if you read about it on xda and S4GRU. The small amount of LTE coverage nationwide also adds to the lack of outcry over this issue. They've also seemingly dropped support for the phone since the GS3 got Jelly Bean before the LTE Evo did.

Developer support for the Evo LTE is pretty bad too. Other than build quality, the GS3 is probably the better choice. Think about it a little more or at least read up on some of the problems with the LTE radio.

Where are you getting your info man? The LTE has a fully working CM10 rom, and the latest one also fixes the LTE issue by fixing the apn that made the phone want to hold onto 3g more.

Also HTC has something else up their sleeve but I'm under nda so I can't say what yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Where are you getting your info man? The LTE has a fully working CM10 rom, and the latest one also fixes the LTE issue by fixing the apn that made the phone want to hold onto 3g more.

Also HTC has something else up their sleeve but I'm under nda so I can't say what yet.

What are you asking? Peruse any Evo LTE threads on S4GRU and xda and you'll see all kinds of people having issues with the Evo's LTE radio performance. The amount of 3rd party developer support for the phone is pathetic compared to the much larger community of the GS3. Yeah, there's a cm10 rom, but last time I used it half the features were broken, so I'm using a modified stock rom (MeanRom), which is good, but it's still Sense and therefore lovely. I have no knowledge of the newest cm10 rom because I decided not to bother with it until it's in a more working state. I'm glad to hear it has come along way though. I highly doubt they've fixed the LTE connectivity issue, do you have a link?

I live in the Chicago market where LTE is arguably farther along than any other market in the nation. The vast majority of the time I'm on a 3G connection. The only way I get LTE is if I'm 500 feet from the tower, or I cycle airplane mode. LTE rarely hands off tower to tower, so if I'm close to an LTE tower and I don't leave that area, I can be on LTE all day but that doesn't do me much good moving around.

edit - I checked out the latest cm10 thread and there still seem to be issues with GPS and the camera (neither of which worked right for me under cm10), so I'll take a pass for another few weeks and see where they're at then.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 31, 2012