Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Here's my take on Alera

Book 1: Imaginative and fun. Great intro to the setting.
Book 2: A horrible boring slog with some good parts. Introduces the Canim, who are rad.
Book 3: The best book in the series. By a long shot. Love the military focus.
Book 4-6: I enjoyed each one a bit less than the one before. This isn't to say they're bad--they're all nearly the same quality as the first. But still something of a letdown after Book 3, which was awesome.

In order of preference: 3 > 1 > 4 > 5 > 6 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

jivjov posted:

As far as we know, it's done. Butcher could always revisit the setting, but the 6th book was the last in the series.

He did mention wanting to return eventually and maybe write a book or two about a new class of Cursors (complete with Canim & Marat students), with Ehren being the new head of the program.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

404GoonNotFound posted:

He did mention wanting to return eventually and maybe write a book or two about a new class of Cursors (complete with Canim & Marat students), with Ehren being the new head of the program.

I would enjoy a continuation in this series, but I would be pissed if he decided to do this over more Dresden.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The problem with the Alera stuff is that it's a case where raising the stakes lowers them. I care about the characters, and if they're in danger I feel something. I don't care about the world, and if a city is in danger then whoopdy loving doo. Jim's also better at writing at a more human level, when he tries to do epic stuff I think a lot of his weaknesses come out and his ability to create fun, relatable characters gets pushed to the background.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.

NovemberMike posted:

The problem with the Alera stuff is that it's a case where raising the stakes lowers them. I care about the characters, and if they're in danger I feel something. I don't care about the world, and if a city is in danger then whoopdy loving doo. Jim's also better at writing at a more human level, when he tries to do epic stuff I think a lot of his weaknesses come out and his ability to create fun, relatable characters gets pushed to the background.

I hadn't really thought about it but I guess you're right. I don't even remember the names of any of the towns or cities but I do remember the names of a good portion of the characters despite not having read the series for quite awhile.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

why oh WHY posted:

I hadn't really thought about it but I guess you're right. I don't even remember the names of any of the towns or cities but I do remember the names of a good portion of the characters despite not having read the series for quite awhile.

I'd say the characterization in Codex Alera is pretty bad, honestly. I made a post about it a while back.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So Changes :tviv:

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Len posted:

So Changes :tviv:

Yeah, pretty much.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

I'd say the characterization in Codex Alera is pretty bad, honestly. I made a post about it a while back.

It's not his best work but it's not terrible either, at least in the beginning. I really think that his problems came from splitting the characters up too much, which kept them from really interacting.

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
I've been driving around town today checking out used book stores and came up with nothing for the Dresden files. When I read them for the first time, I checked all of them out from the library, then bought Changes and Ghost Story as they came out. Picked up Small Favor and Turn Coat in hardback on clearance randomly in the last year, but didn't own the first 9 books, so I've been trying to find some copies to reread. Finally looked on eBay and noticed a bunch of sets of 4 books with names I didn't recognize. Sure enough, they are two-in-one or three-in-one books from the Science Fiction Book Club, who I had a membership with like 10 years ago. Just picked up the first 9 books in the series and Justin Cronin's The Twelve for $27 shipped. :)

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Close to the end of the Twenty Palaces series and I can kinda see why it got canned. The protagonist really just complains a lot. It's well-done and appropriate at times, but really just annoying at others. "Oh no, I don't want to kill! I won't kill this guy who's trying to kill me, even though he's going to die in a day anyway and there's no possible way to prevent that from happening. And if I don't kill this guy, he's going to unleash some world-ending eldritch horror. I still don't want to kill him, though. Waaaah." Other than that, it's pretty decent.

Minor spoilers: It's interesting that he never actually introduces the society much other than the basic interrogator + peer + wooden man system and from the members he's met, they usually stop at absolutely nothing to keep the predators contained. I am sorta disappointed that we won't get a chance to really see what the Twenty Palace Society is like on the inside, though.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/cold-days-14/cold-days-ch-1

Sample Chapter is up!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

drat! What a tease.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

This is old material, it's part of the preview in paperback Ghost Story

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Danhenge posted:

It's new for people who A) bought the hardcover & B) didn't poke around the greyer areas of the interwebs for rips of said previews.

Anyway,
“I have no use for weakness, wizard.” She shivered in a kind of slow, alien ecstasy. “Rest. Heal. Sleep. I shall most likely kill you on the morrow"

It's nice to know that Mab's a Morgenstern fan.

EDIT: Obligatory fantasy nerd :spergin: time: If Harry died back in the fall of 2010, woke up in ~April 2011, and spent the next 2 months & change in Mab's Physical Therapy Killapalooza, he never would have heard "Walk" in the first place.

Besides, My Hero or Learn To Fly are better montage songs anyway.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 31, 2012

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Danhenge posted:

Yes it was released in the paperback. No, I didn't buy the paperback when I had a hardcover copy. No, I didn't camp out in a Barnes-a-million and read the sample chapters without buying the book.

This just kicks off the slow release of more sample chapters before the Nov 27th release. :3:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Chapter 2 on Election Day, eh?

Damnit, this book can't come out fast enough.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
To be clear, I wasn't complaining, just giving a heads up to other folks who'd seen it!

Personally I totally made a trip to B&N just to read the sample chapters :P

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Danhenge posted:

Personally I totally made a trip to B&N just to read the sample chapters :P

Same here. It's nice to reread the preview chapters though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Harry Connolly's giving away free copies of the Twenty Palaces prequel. Today only:

http://www.harryjconnolly.com/blog/index.php/for-halloween-only-im-giving-away-free-copies-of-twenty-palaces/

It's pretty great.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Megazver posted:

Harry Connolly's giving away free copies of the Twenty Palaces prequel. Today only:

http://www.harryjconnolly.com/blog/index.php/for-halloween-only-im-giving-away-free-copies-of-twenty-palaces/

It's pretty great.

Grabbed!

I've been wanting this for a while but I never actually bought it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ConfusedUs posted:

Grabbed!

I've been wanting this for a while but I never actually bought it.

I bought it a while back. It's good. :3:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Megazver posted:

It's pretty great.

Excellent. I'm getting tired of reading Repairman Jack while I wait on the new Dresden and this will be the perfect break I hope. I had it on my "to read" list.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

Megazver posted:

It's pretty great.

I bought this back when he first released it, because the Twenty Palaces series is really the best urban fantasy series out there. It's a testament to the idiocy of the people that fill this genre's readership that he had to stop writing them. The magic system and the Twenty Palaces Society itself is just so interesting.

The Dresden Files would be so much more awesome if Murphy were to be replaced with Annalise.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Wow, just finished Changes. I am very glad I can dive straight into Ghost Story, can't imagine having had to wait.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Beastie posted:

Wow, just finished Changes. I am very glad I can dive straight into Ghost Story, can't imagine having had to wait.

Changes was great. I'm about halfway through Ghost Story and it's not quite as good in my opinion. I understand why though because it's gotta explain and start setting up the new status quo while dealing with the fallout from Changes. And man was Changes a good way to wrap up a story. It had drat near everything.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Len posted:

Changes was great. I'm about halfway through Ghost Story and it's not quite as good in my opinion. I understand why though because it's gotta explain and start setting up the new status quo while dealing with the fallout from Changes. And man was Changes a good way to wrap up a story. It had drat near everything.

Not sure if this is your first read through or not but I didn't love Ghost Story the first time through, it was good but not great. When you go back and reread it though it really was much much better for me at least.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

reflir posted:

I bought this back when he first released it, because the Twenty Palaces series is really the best urban fantasy series out there. It's a testament to the idiocy of the people that fill this genre's readership that he had to stop writing them. The magic system and the Twenty Palaces Society itself is just so interesting.

The Dresden Files would be so much more awesome if Murphy were to be replaced with Annalise.

I can't agree they're the best urban fantasy out there (that goes to Rivers of London), but this prompted me to look up Connolly's cancellation post and goddrat. He's right, the first one does start slow but get past that and they really are fantastic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

So wait, is this not all of Chapter 1, or did the end of book preview have 2 chapters, or are we seeing the effects of editing between then and now?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Fried Chicken posted:

So wait, is this not all of Chapter 1, or did the end of book preview have 2 chapters, or are we seeing the effects of editing between then and now?

End of book preview had 2 chapters.

quote:

The schedule for the next sample chapters is as follows:
11/06: Chapter 2
11/13: Chapter 3
11/20: Chapter 4 and Reddit AMA
11/27: The book’s release!
http://www.jim-butcher.com/

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

Oroborus posted:

Not sure if this is your first read through or not but I didn't love Ghost Story the first time through, it was good but not great. When you go back and reread it though it really was much much better for me at least.

Agreed, and Changes lost some of it's shine after the 3rd read through.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Len posted:

Changes was great. I'm about halfway through Ghost Story and it's not quite as good in my opinion.

Yeah, I was expecting that. Changes was basically the poo poo HITS THE FAN book (similar to A Storm of Swords in the Game of Thrones/Song of Ice And Fire series); I knew after that Butcher would probably do a book or two where things cooled down and were less intense.

Also, did anyone else find the image of Mab using a drum shotgun as one of her tests very odd? You'd think the Queen of Air and Darkness wouldn't need to resort to mortal weaponry to test her new Knight.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Cornwind Evil posted:

Yeah, I was expecting that. Changes was basically the poo poo HITS THE FAN book (similar to A Storm of Swords in the Game of Thrones/Song of Ice And Fire series); I knew after that Butcher would probably do a book or two where things cooled down and were less intense.

Also, did anyone else find the image of Mab using a drum shotgun as one of her tests very odd? You'd think the Queen of Air and Darkness wouldn't need to resort to mortal weaponry to test her new Knight.

Not really, because she's trying to get him ready to handle things he'll face in the mortal world again. Only question I had was along the lines of why she was wielding weaponry that scattered Steel/Iron all over the place when used.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Its not the first time a fae used a gun. The Gruffs had tommy guns or something similar.

As long as the metal is an alloy it's all good. Like when Harry threw nails on that bridge when Lea was chasing him through the NeverNever in book 3. She stopped thinking it was cold iron but it was just some alloy and he was using it as a faint.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
It's the first time a fae used a gun in the Nevernever, though.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Clinton1011 posted:

Its not the first time a fae used a gun. The Gruffs had tommy guns or something similar.

As long as the metal is an alloy it's all good. Like when Harry threw nails on that bridge when Lea was chasing him through the NeverNever in book 3. She stopped thinking it was cold iron but it was just some alloy and he was using it as a faint.

No, those were aluminum IIRC. And steel is an alloy and does just fine against faeries, so it's not just "any alloy is okay."

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Wade Wilson posted:

Not really, because she's trying to get him ready to handle things he'll face in the mortal world again. Only question I had was along the lines of why she was wielding weaponry that scattered Steel/Iron all over the place when used.

The pellets in shotgun shells are almost always lead. There are shells for waterfowl that use steel though.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
What about the fact that Mab is the queen of air and darkness and it is completely possible that she could do what Lea did in Changes with manipulating matter using magic so that it wasn't actually any "real" metal involved.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I spoke way too soon about my thoughts on Ghost Story. Everything since the Big Trouble in Little China reference has been great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

The pellets in shotgun shells are almost always lead. There are shells for waterfowl that use steel though.

There are also those weird ones that have an edible meltable plastic, herbs and salt so you can just pluck the game and bung it in the oven without digging for shot.

Maybe if her new Knight disappointed performance-wise he could still serve as a passable meal.

• Locked thread