Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, now it's just a vague shouting of "LIBYA! YOU SEE?" I mean, a bad thing happened there, and now they get to point at it and vaguely imply, but never state, that they were right all along (don't ask how).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I feel sort of ignorant can someone give me the short version of the Benghazi thing?

Im in a developing country right now so sometimes US news slips past me.

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

RagnarokAngel posted:

I feel sort of ignorant can someone give me the short version of the Benghazi thing?

Im in a developing country right now so sometimes US news slips past me.

Here's the short version:

A liberal may have gotten four people killed in the Middle East through negligence. This is a horrible tragedy.

The previous conservative administration got hundreds of thousands of people killed in the Middle East through dishonesty and fearmongering. Never mind that.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

I Am The Scum posted:

A liberal may have gotten four people killed in the Middle East through negligence. This is a horrible tragedy.

The previous conservative administration got hundreds of thousands of people killed in the Middle East through dishonesty and fearmongering. Never mind that.

That's a tu quoque. The obvious response is "No, they're both bad."

In answer to RagnarokAngel's question, some people think it's a big deal that the administration did not present a unified response to Benghazi. This depends heavily on who's saying it, whether they mean a stupid semantics game where "act of terror" doesn't mean "terrorism"; whether they mean the ambassador talking about the video when evidence had come to light that the video was unrelated; or whether the White House should have responded before all the information had been gathered.

They also might be referring to the claims that there had been information about a possible attack before it occurred--how much info and how long before is totally up in the air and free for everyone to interpret.

They might also be referring to requests the embassy sent for additional security. Who heard these requests, when, in response to what, and how they responded is also totally up in the air.

This is why it behooves people who are out to smeer the administration to just say "LIBYA!!" and let everyone who hears that fill in all the blanks mentally.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

I Am The Scum posted:

This isn't a remotely useful response.

The very short answer is that an terrorist attack was staged on the U.S. embassy in Benghazi at the same time as rioting across the middle east over an anti-Islamic video. There weren't enough security personnel at the embassy, and four people, including the ambassador, were killed. Initially, people thought that the attack was part of the broader response to the video, including the administration; this was later revised as the severity of the attack and the weapons involved made it clear that it was something planned, not spontaneous.

It's also developed that requests had been made for additional security, which might have helped protect the embassy. The requests, though, appear to have been reflective more of a generally deteriorating situation, rather than any known specifics of an impending attack. Still, people are blaming the administration and Obama for not taking them seriously enough.

Wikipedia has a decent summary on what went down.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Also, it should be noted that the security requests that were denied were for the Embassy, which is in Tripoli; not the consulate in Benghazi that was attacked.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Strudel Man posted:

It's also developed that requests had been made for additional security, which might have helped protect the embassy. The requests, though, appear to have been reflective more of a generally deteriorating situation, rather than any known specifics of an impending attack. Still, people are blaming the administration and Obama for not taking them seriously enough.

It's also important to note that the request for extra security that was apparently turned down was a request made for the embassy in Tripoli, which is an entirely different location than the consulate that was attacked in Benghazi.

EDIT: Gah! Beaten.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
It's hard to get straight info without all the spin so could you guys clarify whether that was additional security for the embassy or for the ambassador (which would have gone with him to Benghazi)?

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

XyloJW posted:

It's hard to get straight info without all the spin so could you guys clarify whether that was additional security for the embassy or for the ambassador (which would have gone with him to Benghazi)?

What I read said it was for the Embassy, but I will see if I can dig up more details later.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

XyloJW posted:

My understanding was that the Libyan embassy group had put in a request for more security overall, but the Benghazi embassy already had as much as they wanted. The real-life issue was apparently that the embassy people were really frustrated that their request was getting caught up in State Department red tape, but even if they had rubber stamped the request and given them everything asked for the outcome of the attack would've most likely been the same because the additional security would've gone to Tripoli and not Benghazi.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

XyloJW posted:

The embassy, as in the place in the capital, asked for more security. It had nothing to do with Stevens.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Strudel Man posted:

This isn't a remotely useful response.

It is when taken in the context of the organized vitriolic attack coming out of the rightwing blogs, radio talk shows and Fox. The whole affair is an orchestrated smear, not a good-faith investigation into the facts. Tu quoque is a legitimate tactic in politics if not in reasoned debate, and this issue is not a reasoned debate in any venue I've seen.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

The really sad part of all this is that VileRat is being used for the Romney Campaign's propaganda.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No the useful answer is to explain that 'a liberal' didn't get any Americans killed there, a fringe, radical, Islamic group who had this attack planned already, got four Americans killed. That same group was denounced by the people, who rallied to show support for us, and then very literally chased out of Libya by the people.

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Glitterbomber posted:

No the useful answer is to explain that 'a liberal' didn't get any Americans killed there, a fringe, radical, Islamic group who had this attack planned already, got four Americans killed. That same group was denounced by the people, who rallied to show support for us, and then very literally chased out of Libya by the people.

Exactly. It's ridiculous to assume that an administration should be able to prevent every attack, ever. There is poo poo we just can't prepare for, and embassies/consulates are big targets. Especially when you taken into consideration that the Marine detachment will typically not engage and will prefer to get people out versus fight.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

So I found this article from ABC that includes this memo.

It is from early in 2012, but it discusses how there's been an increase in attacks, and that the State Department's efforts were understaffed overall. It sounds like they were generally asking for more people, period. But not in a "we believe people are preparing to attack us in Benghazi, we need help!" sort of way; more of a "we have X but really need Y to be properly staffed in both Tripoli and Benghazi, can we get some more people?" sort of request.

Even if they got more, it would only have been a couple guys at the most (in Benghazi), and I doubt 2-3 more security personnel would have changed things, other than an increase in the number of Americans killed in the attack.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I agree with your analysis, but it does mean we can't say "No, they never asked for additional security at Benghazi." Their request, however, was 9 months earlier and unrelated to that attack, which I guess is how I would respond to someone who actually brought it up (as opposed to the usual simply shouting "libya")

Bruce Leroy
Jun 10, 2010

Sarion posted:

They have to push it, because it is all they have. The problem is, the narrative demands that Democrats are weak on foreign policy. But Obama has been anything but: Iraq war over with relative stability left behind, Afghan surge, Gaddaffi overthrown with US support but no real cost to the US, Osama Bin Laden dead. The one thing they could legitimately criticize him for (drone strikes) is something they like! The fact that the attack in Benghazi was very confusing at first is all they've got, even if they have to totally fabricate a bunch of crap around a few slivers of truth. It's the only foreign policy button they can press, so... :f5:

I'm a bit hesitant about giving Obama that much credit over Iraq, as leaving the country so quickly had quite a bit to do with Iraq's government refusing to give US soldiers immunity for war crimes committed against Iraqis. So, while there had already been plans and efforts to get out of Iraq, the US government had planned to leave a far greater presence (over 5,000) than we currently have (a couple hundred) in Iraq before the Iraqi government made its intents known.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-20124021/immunity-for-troops-was-iraq-deal-breaker/

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Bruce Leroy posted:

I'm a bit hesitant about giving Obama that much credit over Iraq, as leaving the country so quickly had quite a bit to do with Iraq's government refusing to give US soldiers immunity for war crimes committed against Iraqis. So, while there had already been plans and efforts to get out of Iraq, the US government had planned to leave a far greater presence (over 5,000) than we currently have (a couple hundred) in Iraq before the Iraqi government made its intents known.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-20124021/immunity-for-troops-was-iraq-deal-breaker/

True, but the war was effectively over either way. Those troops were only being offered to continue to assist with training and cover some security holes. Just because there would have still been 5,000 troops there wouldn't mean the Iraq War was still being waged anymore than the 20,000+ troops we have in Germany are still waging WWII.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
What the gently caress poo poo?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/10/30/Facebook-Censors-Navy-SEALS-To-Protect-Obama-on-Benghazi-Gate

Is this real? I find no corroboration outside the right wing echo chamber. The only evidence is a low quality image purporting to be a Facebook takedown notice. Obviously Facebook won't (and shouldn't) comment on this, but is this real? I mean the meme is back up so it's not like Facebook actually won here.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

sicarius posted:

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/10/30/Facebook-Censors-Navy-SEALS-To-Protect-Obama-on-Benghazi-Gate

Is this real? I find no corroboration outside the right wing echo chamber. The only evidence is a low quality image purporting to be a Facebook takedown notice. Obviously Facebook won't (and shouldn't) comment on this, but is this real? I mean the meme is back up so it's not like Facebook actually won here.

Doesn't facebook take down just about anything that gets too many complaints? Seems to me that was the reason I'd heard for why they were taking down all the gay people kissing photos a while ago. So it might very well be true that FB shut them down.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

sicarius posted:

Is it on Breitbart? That's one big clue that it's a lie.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Packaging it as

:siren: BANNED MEME THAT WAS TOO CONTROVERSIAL FOR FACEBOOK! :siren:

Seems like a good way to get people to post it on their facebook pages.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Doesn't facebook take down just about anything that gets too many complaints? Seems to me that was the reason I'd heard for why they were taking down all the gay people kissing photos a while ago. So it might very well be true that FB shut them down.

This was my conclusion, since the image is back up. My guess is that someone, somewhere didn't like it and decided to report rush it so the Facebook robot flagged it and shut it down.

It just doesn't make sense that they'd target this particular meme over another.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
Especially when you can so easily find groups on there that are nothing but overtly racist anti-Obama memes. I know this because so many of my hillbilly inlaws belong to them :eng99:

I Am The Scum
May 8, 2007
The devil made me do it

XyloJW posted:

That's a tu quoque. The obvious response is "No, they're both bad."

You're right, and I'm not trying to say that anything that happened in the past excuses any potential wrongdoing in this case. I'm just venting frustration. One would have to be extremely inconsistent to cry foul at this event while staying silent over the atrocities over the past decade. It's hosed up, and it's a shame that the "liberal media" isn't calling them out on it.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Yeah, I understand. But you run the risk of saying that to a libertarian who might well not have been silent during that time, then you lose all moral high ground, because to him it sounds like you're excusing Obama without even trying to figure out if there was wrongdoing.

Best to seriously just ask them what exactly was done wrong and go from there, because there's so many crossed-wires in the conservative messaging on Libya that it's impossible to guess what they mean.

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

XyloJW posted:

Yeah, I understand. But you run the risk of saying that to a libertarian who might well not have been silent during that time, then you lose all moral high ground, because to him it sounds like you're excusing Obama without even trying to figure out if there was wrongdoing.

Best to seriously just ask them what exactly was done wrong and go from there, because there's so many crossed-wires in the conservative messaging on Libya that it's impossible to guess what they mean.

Agreed, that's the best place to start. The messaging from the whole Executive branch, and media coverage during the first two weeks was down right confusing enough, but mix in the conservative campaign-attack-spin and there's no telling what someone actually believes happened.

You had Glen Beck proclaiming to millions of listeners that Vilerat was a CIA agent and that Goonswarm was a CIA front group after all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Sarion posted:

Agreed, that's the best place to start. The messaging from the whole Executive branch, and media coverage during the first two weeks was down right confusing enough, but mix in the conservative campaign-attack-spin and there's no telling what someone actually believes happened.

You had Glen Beck proclaiming to millions of listeners that Vilerat was a CIA agent and that Goonswarm was a CIA front group after all.

He also ranted for a while on weither or not those killed were analy sodomized. But hey, Glen Becks a classy guy right :v:

(They werent, they died from smoke inhalation when the building with the panicroom was set on fire.) The picture circulating that were 'the mob parading them through the street' Were Lybian locals who chased off the terrorists and were rushing the Americans to the hospital shouting 'Allah Ackbar' because they thought they were still alive, though they died from the smoke.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 31, 2012

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Sarion posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? I have to hear this now.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

NatasDog posted:

Are you making GBS threads me? I have to hear this now.

http://themittani.com/media/glenn-beck-goonswarm-cia-front

Warning: it will make you angry. I'm guessing you expect that from Glenn Beck already though.

e: also, forgot about his "advance team". What a fuckin nut

myron cope fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 31, 2012

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Saw this today:

poo poo a brick on the guy who posted it. I don't know why exactly but when I saw Vilerat's image attached to political propaganda I got very agitated. This is the very definition of exploiting death for political capital and it's disgusting.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

sicarius posted:

Saw this today:

poo poo a brick on the guy who posted it. I don't know why exactly but when I saw Vilerat's image attached to political propaganda I got very agitated. This is the very definition of exploiting death for political capital and it's disgusting.

poo poo on him again. One poo poo is not enough.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Anyone have a good summary of that day?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Armyman25 posted:

Anyone have a good summary of that day?

Here is a factcheck.org timeline of events, it has a lot of who said what, days after bullshit but heres the day http://factcheck.org/2012/10/benghazi-timeline/

quote:

Sept. 11: The Attack

2:30 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (8:30 p.m. Benghazi time): U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens steps outside the consulate to say goodbye to a Turkish diplomat. There are no protesters at this time. (“Everything is calm at 8:30,” a State Department official would later say at an Oct. 9 background briefing for reporters. “There’s nothing unusual. There has been nothing unusual during the day at all outside.”)

3 p.m.: Ambassador Stevens retires to his bedroom for the evening. (See Oct. 9 briefing.)

Approximately 3:40 p.m. A security agent at the Benghazi compound hears “loud noises” coming from the front gate and “gunfire and an explosion.” A senior State Department official at the Oct. 9 briefing says that “the camera on the main gate reveals a large number of people – a large number of men, armed men, flowing into the compound.”

About 4 p.m.: This is the approximate time of attack that was given to reporters at a Sept. 12 State Department background briefing. An administration official identified only as “senior administration official one” provides an official timeline of events at the consulate, but only from the time of the attack — not prior to the attack. The official says, “The compound where our office is in Benghazi began taking fire from unidentified Libyan extremists.” (Six of the next seven entries in this timeline — through 8:30 p.m. EDT — all come from the Sept. 12 briefing. The exception being the 6:07 p.m. entry, which comes from Reuters.)

About 4:15 p.m.: “The attackers gained access to the compound and began firing into the main building, setting it on fire. The Libyan guard force and our mission security personnel responded. At that time, there were three people inside the building: Ambassador Stevens, one of our regional security officers, and Information Management Officer Sean Smith.”

Between 4:15 p.m.-4:45 p.m.: Sean Smith is found dead.

About 4:45 p.m.: “U.S. security personnel assigned to the mission annex tried to regain the main building, but that group also took heavy fire and had to return to the mission annex.”

About 5:20 p.m.: “U.S. and Libyan security personnel … regain the main building and they were able to secure it.”

Around 6 p.m.: “The mission annex then came under fire itself at around 6 o’clock in the evening our time, and that continued for about two hours. It was during that time that two additional U.S. personnel were killed and two more were wounded during that ongoing attack.”

6:07 p.m.: The State Department’s Operations Center sends an email to the White House, Pentagon, FBI and other government agencies that said Ansar al-Sharia has claimed credit for the attack on its Facebook and Twitter accounts. (The existence of the email was not disclosed until Reuters reported it on Oct. 24.)

About 8:30 p.m.: “Libyan security forces were able to assist us in regaining control of the situation. At some point in all of this – and frankly, we do not know when – we believe that Ambassador Stevens got out of the building and was taken to a hospital in Benghazi. We do not have any information what his condition was at that time. His body was later returned to U.S. personnel at the Benghazi airport.”

About 10:00 p.m.: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton issues a statement confirming that one State official was killed in an attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi. Her statement, which MSNBC posted at 10:32 p.m., made reference to the anti-Muslim video.

Clinton: Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others. Our commitment to religious tolerance goes back to the very beginning of our nation. But let me be clear: There is never any justification for violent acts of this kind.

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2012/10/198791.htm

Here is the State departments full transcript of events. I warn you, its very...affecting...know this really happened. Everyone should read this.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 31, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bombadilillo posted:

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2012/10/198791.htm

Here is the State departments full transcript of events. I warn you, its very...affecting...know this really happened. Everyone should read this.
This is a difficult read, it really clarifies what happened there. The last question asked by a reporter was really good.

I almost want to make a Facebook friendly timeline out of this because too many people believe the Glenn Beck version.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
This is great, apparently one of the ex-SEALS who died in Libya was on the advisory board of the Military_Religious_Freedom_Foundation, a "The Military Religious Freedom Foundation is a watchdog / advocacy group and civil rights organization whose stated goals are to ensure that members of the United States Armed Forces receive the Constitutional guarantee of religious freedom to which they are entitled by virtue of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Religious_Freedom_Foundation

Glen Doherty

Glen Anthony Doherty (c. 1970 – September 11, 2012) was a native of Winchester, Massachusetts,[184] and a 1988 graduate of Winchester High School,[185] Doherty was the second of three children born to Bernard and Barbara Doherty. He trained as a pilot at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University before moving to Snowbird, Utah for several winters and then joining the United States Navy. Doherty served as a Navy SEAL including tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. After leaving the Navy, he worked for a private security company in Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel, Kenya and Libya.[184]

Doherty was a member of the advisory board of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, an organization that opposes proselytizing by religious groups in the United States military. MRFF founder Michael L. Weinstein said that Doherty had "helped me on many MRFF client cases behind the scenes to facilitate assistance to armed forces members abused horribly by fundamentalist Christian proselytizing."[186]

Doherty's funeral was held at Saint Eulalia's parish in his native Winchester on September 19, 2012.[187]

Doherty's Celebration of Life was held in Encinitas, California the weekend of October 12–14, 2012.[188][189]

Doherty was coauthor of the book The 21st Century Sniper.[186]

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

Armyman25 posted:

This is great, apparently one of the ex-SEALS who died in Libya was on the advisory board of the Military_Religious_Freedom_Foundation, a "The Military Religious Freedom Foundation is a watchdog / advocacy group and civil rights organization whose stated goals are to ensure that members of the United States Armed Forces receive the Constitutional guarantee of religious freedom to which they are entitled by virtue of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Religious_Freedom_Foundation

Glen Doherty

Glen Anthony Doherty (c. 1970 – September 11, 2012) was a native of Winchester, Massachusetts,[184] and a 1988 graduate of Winchester High School,[185] Doherty was the second of three children born to Bernard and Barbara Doherty. He trained as a pilot at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University before moving to Snowbird, Utah for several winters and then joining the United States Navy. Doherty served as a Navy SEAL including tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. After leaving the Navy, he worked for a private security company in Afghanistan, Iraq, Israel, Kenya and Libya.[184]

Doherty was a member of the advisory board of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, an organization that opposes proselytizing by religious groups in the United States military. MRFF founder Michael L. Weinstein said that Doherty had "helped me on many MRFF client cases behind the scenes to facilitate assistance to armed forces members abused horribly by fundamentalist Christian proselytizing."[186]

Doherty's funeral was held at Saint Eulalia's parish in his native Winchester on September 19, 2012.[187]

Doherty's Celebration of Life was held in Encinitas, California the weekend of October 12–14, 2012.[188][189]

Doherty was coauthor of the book The 21st Century Sniper.[186]

So... does this mean that he was an atheist? Interesting. I doubt it really means much or will lead to anything at all, but it explains part of why the right isn't seeking to politicize his death as much as that of Woods - whose family is, apparently, quite religious.

sicarius fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 31, 2012

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.

sicarius posted:

So... does this mean that he was an atheist? Interesting. I doubt it really means much or will lead to anything at all, but it explains part of why the right isn't seeking to politicize his death as much as that of Woods - whose family is, apparently, quite religious.

This doesn't matter in terms of facebook arguments, anyway. If someone politicizes his death with the mistaken assumption that he was religious, it would do more good to point out that they are politicizing his death (and why that is a lovely thing to do), than it would to talk about him being an atheist.

That was hard to read but I'm glad I did. Highly recommended if you want to understand what happened.

vez veces fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

sicarius posted:

It's not so much that as the fact that Mitt Romney tried pulling a Mark Antony and his mom told him to go gently caress himself so the right wing backed the hell off before it blew up in their faces.

Empire State posted:

This doesn't matter in terms of facebook arguments, anyway. If someone politicizes his death with the mistaken assumption that he was religious, it would do more good to point out that they are politicizing his death (and why that is a lovely thing to do), than it would to talk about him being an atheist.
Eh, I always thought it was pretty great when Pat Tillman's family went apeshit on people for talking about Tillman going to heaven and poo poo.

I actually haven't thought about Tillman in quite a while. Didn't it turn out he was intentionally fragged by fellow American soldiers?