Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I'm a huge r/c fan, and am not being a pedantic dick when I ask this.

I race R/C cars and I love the competition. I love being able to out drive someone on the track and shave off 10ths of a second a lap.

What exactly is the allure of just driving em around your yard, or in the crawlers case, just driving them slowly over rocks?

Doesn't the fact that it's a toy car become extremely prevalent when it's just going a few miles an hour over some obstacles?

Honestly wanted to know, not being a prick!

Once you get burnt out on racing and all the BS that comes with it, you'll discover why bashing is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Racing can definitely burn you out... I've found people get more worked up at small club races than bigger events though, for some reason. Probably because they're running against the same people all the time. The dramatic blowups are completely uncalled for and it's something I'd like to see less of... but they're always going to happen.

Hell we have people flipping poo poo during our novice nights. Some of these drivers (both adults and kids) can barely make it around the track without smashing a pipe every corner, yet when they need to be marshalled they immediately start yelling. Half the time the marshal they're yelling at is a younger kid :(. I keep reminding people that hey, this is novice night. Crashes are going to happen and the marshals aren't necessarily going to know what's up. No sense in yelling at a 7 year old when you were the one that crashed. Ugh getting mad just typing this out :argh:.

On a lighter note, some dude got some pretty kickass pics of my cars at the Omaha winter series opener yesterday :). Tekno car still continues to amaze me... I set the fastest qualifying run (of ANY class) with it yesterday! Did well in nitro too. After getting taken out on the first lap of the main, I ended back up in third. Finished on the same lap as first and second after 30min. Nitro is a blast when your stuff works like it should!

TLR 8ight 2.0

Tekno EB48

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Nice shots, I love that pink body. My wife's best friend is stationed at Offutt Airbase outside Omaha so next time we visit I expect you guys to show me that cool hobby shop. The last time we visited was 3 years ago and I kick myself for not visiting that track.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

powderific posted:

Actually, discovered a servo saver on one of my unused Dingo parts trees and modified it to fit. Seems to work great!

With the new motor the M-05 seriously roasts the tires. Is there such a thing as a limited slip for RC? Is that what ball diffs are? Despite being 2wd it gets around surprisingly well in the dirt, but can get stuck pretty easy if I don't keep up momentum. One wheel will spin a little hole for itself and then it's stuck.

Yes. But ball diffs aren't tamiya racing legal. If you stuff some plastic into the diff, you can lock it up. A hot ticket for FWD racing is a locked, or nearly locked diff. The diff is ok, so long as it has "some" differential action.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't currently have any plans to race it so I went ahead and ordered a ball diff. If I wind up wanting to race I'd probably have to change several other things anyway (including motor and ESC.) For now I just want the extra traction for scale rally fun time.

Evil_Ash
May 28, 2003

"Hail to the king baby"

We had a big shibang this weekend. We had some crawling and some rock racing.

here is a teaser vid I put together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-sF-GGmSU

photos by a club member RMD photography

Evil_Ash fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 29, 2012

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

needknees posted:

Racing can definitely burn you out... I've found people get more worked up at small club races than bigger events though, for some reason. Probably because they're running against the same people all the time. The dramatic blowups are completely uncalled for and it's something I'd like to see less of... but they're always going to happen.

Hell we have people flipping poo poo during our novice nights. Some of these drivers (both adults and kids) can barely make it around the track without smashing a pipe every corner, yet when they need to be marshalled they immediately start yelling. Half the time the marshal they're yelling at is a younger kid :(. I keep reminding people that hey, this is novice night. Crashes are going to happen and the marshals aren't necessarily going to know what's up. No sense in yelling at a 7 year old when you were the one that crashed. Ugh getting mad just typing this out :argh:.

On a lighter note, some dude got some pretty kickass pics of my cars at the Omaha winter series opener yesterday :). Tekno car still continues to amaze me... I set the fastest qualifying run (of ANY class) with it yesterday! Did well in nitro too. After getting taken out on the first lap of the main, I ended back up in third. Finished on the same lap as first and second after 30min. Nitro is a blast when your stuff works like it should!

TLR 8ight 2.0

Tekno EB48

That TLR is the exact buggy I'm getting. I'm afraid after I order it in a month, the 3.0 will come out. I've hear rumors of the next wave of buggies releasing soon.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

needknees posted:

This is one of the things that burnt me out on racing. Even on practice days, guys are acting like they're racing for their drat life and it gets annoying.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I used to call Tuesday night racing at SoCal RC the 'Tuesday Night Nationals', people were taking it soo seriously. There's only 6 guys in your class (on Saturdays there would be 30 or so)? Yeah, freak out and yell and poo poo, that'll make it all better. Saturdays were even better, lots of shoving matches, a few thrown radios, tons of deliberate hacking on the track. Once, a pro racer (Not To Be Named) yanked his pit towel out from under all his equipment - tools, chargers and more went everywhere...but then I did see the same guy throw a radio about 100 feet once, at a different track.

The pressure you put yourself under on a race night/weekend/week can make you stupid!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

That TLR is the exact buggy I'm getting. I'm afraid after I order it in a month, the 3.0 will come out. I've hear rumors of the next wave of buggies releasing soon.

If TLR comes out with any new car it will likely debut at the IFMAR worlds, only a month away. Honestly the 2.0 is so freakin good the new car would have to be dramatically new in design to make me want to switch over. More likely is the 3.0 will have a slightly longer chassis (maybe 3-5mm longer), revised shock towers and suspension geometry and potentially 16mm shocks v. the current 15mm ones, come with aluminum hubs and steering spindles, and most importantly come with something similar to the already available GenIII radio tray.

The only thing I did to my car was put the GenIII radio tray on it, and made a very slight difference in handling. The main reason to put that upgrade on is to increase the longevity of your servos. It moves the throttle servo away from the engine to the front of the car where it stays considerably cooler. The old tray tended to fry throttle servos.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is one of the things that burnt me out on racing. Even on practice days, guys are acting like they're racing for their drat life and it gets annoying.

Effing tell me about it :saddowns:. For the most part the guys at our track are pretty low key but there's a few hotheads. I've seen radios smashed, buggies chucked, chassis broken in half, chairs thrown... never any physical altercations but it's come close a couple times. I fully realize the effort and money that goes into making these cars go around a track as quickly as possible and how frustrating it can be when something happens out on track, but when it really comes down to it we're racing freakin toy cars :toot:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For every super cool guy on the track who was just there because he enjoyed it, there were two dickheads who thought they owned the place and didnt want you tainting their track.

There were also a core clique of guys who ran what I came to coin "papier mache buggies". Tiny, but quick buggies that were spindly, fragile, and at most 1/12 scale. They also thought they owned the track, and it didnt matter if the 1/10 short course trucks were going out to practice, they were going to run too, and man did they scream at you if you got close to them. They could outrun the SC trucks, but they'd get caught up with them and more than one of those buggies got vaporized by a SC truck that rolled over them. They never learned, but they never quit screaming either.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 30, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

needknees posted:

I fully realize the effort and money that goes into making these cars go around a track as quickly as possible and how frustrating it can be when something happens out on track, but when it really comes down to it we're racing freakin toy cars :toot:

Toy cars for bowling trophies :) It's supposed to be fun, isn't it?! hehe

I've been helping a friend of mine with his first RC car purchase via Facebook messages, he bought the new part-built Kyosho desert buggy to 'build' with his son, and he realized the tires aren't really suited for his lawn. This is his latest message to me:

quote:

Went to the local hobby shop to see if they had anything in the way of tires/wheels that would fit on the Kyosho Sand Master. I was also planning on looking for a replacment pinion and spur so I could get a lower gear ratio and not burn out the motor running on grass. The jerks there took one look at it and told me they didn't have anything. Apparently they thought it was a $50 Wal-mart toy or something.

After I mentioned it was a Kyosho (which they were surprised about) they said they used to carry parts but not anymore but there still wasn't anything that would fit on it. Only took me a few minutes of looking around to find wheels (Traxxas) that looked like they would've fit the hex connector on my car.

Decided it was too expensive to go that route anyway. It was $9/pair for wheels and I'm sure the tires would've been $20+ per pair or something then more money for the gears. I'd be looking at $50 minimum to do the mods I wanted to do. Plus I didn't want to spend money with those jerks anyway.

I did ask them about their track though and it's $10/day but they have races every Tuesday night and all day Saturday and they're closed on Sunday so I'm not sure when they expect anyone to be able to use the track for practice/fun since their normal hours are 11-7. *shrug*

I know we're all beating the same dead horse here, but considering the discussion for the past few days in this thread this is really good timing, so to speak. The average customer walks into a shop, is sneered at by the staff, they're unhelpful and the hours the track is available isn't welcoming for any new blood to come and partake. What can you do but walk out and just stick with online shopping and bashing in your yard?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

While I've seen plenty of yelling I've only seen one physical altercation. It was during a regional sprint car race. For those that don't know anything about them most sprints are open wheel and use 4.5 motors at full throttle 90 percent of the race. When they get tangled poo poo goes flying. A habitual jerk (an actual sponsored driver by Custom Works!) got into a buddy of mine on purpose and his front end exploded in the crash. He walked up to "Driver X" on the stand and punched him right in the face. It caught him right on the nose. They stopped the race because of it. This was about 3 years ago.

While that sounds pretty terrible the guy who got punched was/is a totally insufferable prick and long had it coming. Last I've heard the guy rarely hacks anymore and is a mute on the driver's stand.

I think we've talked about it before but the weird thing about RC is that you are standing right next to the driver of the next vehicle. My buddies who do 1:1 dirt modified racing get insanely pissed off at each other but at least they have time to cool off after a wreck as they have to actually take the time to get out of the vehicle and most of the time the other guy is still in his car so cooler heads generally prevail*.

*Being in the pits during a Saturday night dirt track race (full scale) is akin to being ringside at a WWE event. Mix hot headed "good ole boys", expensive race cars, crazy girlfriends/crew members, and add a splash of alcohol and you have a recipe for some wild poo poo on any given saturday night when cars get into each other. Not going to lie though, that's part of why I like dirt track racing :3:

EDIT - Axial announced a new SCX10 Unlimited Jeep Wrangler kit this morning. Looks freaking sweet!
http://axialracing.com/products/ax90028

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 30, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I really like those driveshafts! Might have to get them for my SCX10...

I've never seen anyone punched out at a track, but I have stood next to a guy muttering 'I'm going to get that white car'...and I told him to calm down, because *I* was the white car.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ha, I love that they actually took it down the Rubicon trail and licensed the Trail Rated stuff from Jeep. Pretty cool. Besides the obvious aesthetic stuff, is there anything different about it from the existing SCX10 stuff?

On the M-05 front, I got the new oil dampers in and seem to have fallen for bad advice again. Everywhere I looked online recommended Tamiya CVA Mini for the M-05RA. The idea was that the CVA Minis (which are for a full sized touring car vs. the super minis or mini specific TRF dampers people normally use on the m05) have more travel for the rally version offroad. But once I got them on the car, I discovered that all that travel's only available if you jack the ride height waaaay up. There's tons of downtravel but barely any up.

I'm not sure if I'm just installing things wrong or just finding recommendations from people who don't actually have the Ra version and are guessing. After searching around again for pictures of the shocks mounted, it looks like everyone who recommended the CVA Mini's as a cheap upgrade put threaded aluminum body shocks on their own vehicles. Maybe the aluminum touring car shocks are shorter than the plastic ones?

Some of the confusion seems to be that the extra ground clearance on the Ra comes from different mounting points on the C hubs rather than jacking up the ride height through longer shocks. The suspension arms, towers, etc. are all the same as the non-Ra version. It could definitely use more travel than strictly on-road versions, but overall length when fully compressed either needs to be similar or the shock towers need to be taller. Taller shock towers would be perfect as the different c-hub mounting allows the suspension arms to travel further upwards without bottoming out the chassis.

So I either need to figure out a way to make the upper shock mounting points higher, or spend more money aluminum shocks and try to get the right ones this time. It'd really help if there was somewhere I could see compressed and uncompressed lengths of each version. I have no metal working skill but it seems like a couple aluminum plates could add the needed height.

ALL THAT SAID... even with the minimal travel of the CVA minis, having actual damping makes a huuuge difference. It's not hopping all over during corners and accelerates better thanks to being more planted. Despite my various misadventures, I've really enjoyed the M-05 and it's blast to race around sidewalks.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Tamiya including friction shocks in 2012 is what stops me from buying the odd kit to just bash around on. A few years ago I bought a Mad Fighter vintage buggy kit and with those drat shocks it was literally undriveable. It wasn't worth buying a set of oil shocks for a 60 dollar buggy.

As for the Jeep SCX10, I've been looking the pics over and the only thing I see different that isn't just cosmetics would be the licensed Maxxis tires. They look great and are in the white dot R35 compound so I'm sure they're sticky as hell.

I can't wait to purchase those licensed Poison Spyder bumpers for my rig.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

We called our racing 'Wednesday night worlds' when people were getting too serious and over the top. I've stopped racing because carpet stuff died locally. I raced electric off road for a few good years quite regularly. Then I went to nitro sedans. When that died off it was back to electric off road, then carpet sedans for a year. It ruined me, off road became boring. It also didn't fit with my schedule as newly married (carpet was Saturday mornings; I was done by 1 in the afternoon. Off road was like Saturday afternoon to 1-2 AM). Now that I'm a new dad, electric off road is even less appealing. I sold my FT RC10B4 and bought my EXO this week. For me I get almost as much enjoyment building as I do racing. I love the competition, but now it is branching out and trying new aspects of the hobby on what I consider a purist level. I've been into hobby class R/C's since I was 9, and have made it my career since I was 16 (excepting a year and a half). If carpet racing started up again though I would be first in line with all new gear. That is the most addictive racing I've ever done.
The EXO is such a sick build! Photos to come!!!

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Tamiya including friction shocks in 2012 is what stops me from buying the odd kit to just bash around on.

This is so true. While I don't regret the M-05 since it's so different from anything else out there and I've really enjoyed it, I probably won't be buying Tamiya again. It just wound up being waaaay more expensive than I'd anticipated. A completely different experience from the SCX10. My next kit is definitely going to be an Exo.

OnlyJuanMon
Jan 25, 2010

:burger::taco::burger::taco::burger:
Too tired to chase fences right now.
:taco::burger::taco::burger::taco:

needknees posted:

If TLR comes out with any new car it will likely debut at the IFMAR worlds, only a month away. Honestly the 2.0 is so freakin good the new car would have to be dramatically new in design to make me want to switch over. More likely is the 3.0 will have a slightly longer chassis (maybe 3-5mm longer), revised shock towers and suspension geometry and potentially 16mm shocks v. the current 15mm ones, come with aluminum hubs and steering spindles, and most importantly come with something similar to the already available GenIII radio tray.

The only thing I did to my car was put the GenIII radio tray on it, and made a very slight difference in handling. The main reason to put that upgrade on is to increase the longevity of your servos. It moves the throttle servo away from the engine to the front of the car where it stays considerably cooler. The old tray tended to fry throttle servos.

Effing tell me about it :saddowns:. For the most part the guys at our track are pretty low key but there's a few hotheads. I've seen radios smashed, buggies chucked, chassis broken in half, chairs thrown... never any physical altercations but it's come close a couple times. I fully realize the effort and money that goes into making these cars go around a track as quickly as possible and how frustrating it can be when something happens out on track, but when it really comes down to it we're racing freakin toy cars :toot:

I have a question. I have a hyper 7 buggy, and seem to get around the track okay with it.

It seems with racing, I'm trying to ask too much of my sub par kits. I race an old TC3 in on road, and a Hyper 7 in off road. I can keep pace, but I seem to be limited by the lackluster kits I have.

My question is, is the Losi 2.0 REALLY the big difference maker that I'm hearing it is? Why exactly is it so much better to drive?

I feel like if I'm going to drop 800 bucks on a brand new kit to really compete, I want to make sure it's gonna make a huge difference.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

OnlyJuanMon posted:

I have a question. I have a hyper 7 buggy, and seem to get around the track okay with it.

It seems with racing, I'm trying to ask too much of my sub par kits. I race an old TC3 in on road, and a Hyper 7 in off road. I can keep pace, but I seem to be limited by the lackluster kits I have.

My question is, is the Losi 2.0 REALLY the big difference maker that I'm hearing it is? Why exactly is it so much better to drive?

I feel like if I'm going to drop 800 bucks on a brand new kit to really compete, I want to make sure it's gonna make a huge difference.

Honestly the best thing you could do is try and snag some wheel time on one to see if you like it. Most people at the track are pretty willing to let someone give their stuff a shot. What is your 7 doing that you don't like?

I guess what it came down to for me was I just COULD NOT get my RC8.2 to handle like I wanted it to. I messed around with setup constantly, played with brake bias, tires, etc etc. I never could get rid of its tendency to push on corner entry. On power steering was fine, but the thing would never turn in like I felt it should. My 8.2e on the other hand steered like crazy! I don't know if it was the extra weight of the e car setup or what but the e handled awesome. If I could have gotten the gas car to work the same way I'd probably still have it.

The Losi is near polar opposite to the 8.2. It's corner entry is loving outstanding, and has plenty of on power steering to boot. It might just fit my particular driving style better... I'm of the opinion some kits work better for specific types of drivers than others.

Although, along with better corner entry I'm giving the 8ight 2.0 the nod in overall handling, jump characteristics, lands better, the tank is WORLDS better than AE's lovely leaky tank, and I kid you not the 8ight gets better fuel mileage with the same engine I was running in the AE. The car seems to be more durable as well. I had TONS of issues with snapping CVA bones on the AE (plus other little niggling problems), the Losi has taken some brutal hits and not a drat thing has broken on it after nearly 3 gallons of runtime. The chassis is wearing much better too.

Here's what I DON'T like about the Losi car:
Standard screws. Really? Metric please.
Having the engine centrally located does great things for handling but puts a crazy angle on the front center driveshaft. It's not wearing out as fast as I thought it would but it's definitely an area to keep an eye on.
Would like to see some sort of set screw on the bottom shock mount screws.
Should come with the genIII radio tray standard.
Needs a split center diff mount for ease of maintenance.
Crappy engine mount - can't remove engine without having to reset gear mesh.

All in all, the 8ight is a freakin great car. It fits my driving style very well and has proven to be incredibly reliable. I don't think you would be disappointed at all if you picked one up :).

e: holy poo poo :words:

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

On road goons - is a Tamiya TA-05 a decent budget touring car?

Here is a shot of the new track. Looks really nice.

EDIT - how about a Tamiya TT-01? Yes I'm aware it has garbage friction shocks, but aside from that would it be an ok budget racer? I can get a new kit with esc/motor/etc for 100.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 31, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That space looks like it used to be a dance studio, martial arts dojo or weightlifting room.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

EDIT - how about a Tamiya TT-01? Yes I'm aware it has garbage friction shocks, but aside from that would it be an ok budget racer? I can get a new kit with esc/motor/etc for 100.

TT-01 is a great car. You can upgrade the ever loving poo poo out of it. The upgrades are a little high in price but they're top notch quality. You really can't go wrong with a TT-01.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There's a decent article on it as a budget racer at ultimatetamiya: http://ultimatetamiya.com/projects/tt-01-budget-racer/

I have no experience with it myself. One suggestion though: get JIS style screwdrivers if you're going to do anything Tamiya. Regular phillips head drivers will cam out like crazy.

Also: I think my CVA mini shocks will fit the TT-01 if you do get it. I'll send them to you for cheap if that's the way you go and you don't want to spring for fancy pants aluminum stuff.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

awesome track, look into maybe a 3racing sakura zero s? last I heard they are a great budget touring car.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

That space looks like it used to be a dance studio, martial arts dojo or weightlifting room.

That track is located in an old mall that only has a few outlet stores and is all but abandoned. He got the lease for dirt cheap. Not sure what it used to be in the mall.

It's called Pro Level RC Speedway and the owner Drew Ellis is a former National Champ and Team X-Ray driver. He's also a very nice guy who would bend over backwards to help someone out (what a pro should be like!).

Awesome to hear that that TT-01 is decent. I think I'll order one and just run it with a stocker silver can for a couple weeks to get the hang of things at a slow speed. I love the BMW M3 edition.

Powder, assuming I go through with the purchase and dig onroad I'll take those off your hands.

EDIT - Thanks for posting that build link. Great advice there.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 31, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

That track is located in an old mall that only has a few outlet stores and is all but abandoned. He got the lease for dirt cheap. Not sure what it used to be in the mall.

Very cool, I hope the rent doesn't skyrocket if/when the economy bounces back a little. I've seen a lot of tracks (world-famous ones, too) shut down because the landlord wanted to get more money.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The advantages of a TA-05 over a TT-01 is that the TA-05 has a heap of TRF hop up parts, you can use a large range of gear ratios (great if you want to use different motors in the chassis) and the fact the stock TA-05 kit will beat a TT-01 kit.

The TT-01 has a big aftermarket (about the same as the TA-05) and is probably better as a "basher" car.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Colonel, how much are you interested in spending? I would sell of my TC5R roller w/ a good amount of spares/hop ups/brand new tires for a reasonable price. I've been planning on just listing it locally. I could sell it with a savox .07 second servo (forget the model) and 13.5 ballistic motor.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I appreciate the advice everyone. Looks like my plans have changed. A local on the RCTech forums pm'ed me and offered to sell his still in box TC4 Club Racer for only a hundred bucks because he bought it and never got to it! I'm picking it up later today. That's a great deal.

EDIT - Scored a like new Novak GTB2 for 60 bucks and a spektrum dsr3000 receiver for only 25. I was trying to get into a decent car for 17.5 spec class for right around $200 so I'm well on my way! The best part is that if i really hate the racing I should be able to sell everything for what I paid for.

DOUBLE EDIT - Here is the car. Dude wasn't kidding, everything is still wrapped in bags. He also threw in a set of Jaco blues (our spec tire) so I'd have the correct tire. Super cool guy. He said all the onroad guys are very laid back and to just get it together so they can help me get it dialed.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 1, 2012

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Been lurking this thread for a long time and you guys made me break out my old box of RC stuff I had. The last time I even messed around with anything RC was probably pre-9-11, when I worked at a hobby store. In the box was a trashed Tamiya TLT-1, a AE Mini-T and a enough baggies of random parts to build a TC3 with the rally conversion.

Several hours later:

I have an old JR XR2 for a radio, I just don't have any batteries. Would anyone like to trade a Mini-T roller for some old Ni-MH packs? It's got the metal shocks, aluminum center brace, and upgraded motor.Not sure if I want to jump to Li-Po packs just yet...just want to bash again.

If this is against the rules I'll modify, just felt like it was a little too specific for the sale forum.

Also, those Axial kits look amazing and I want them all.

Nathan Explosion
Aug 14, 2006
A whole new rainbow of pain!
All this track talk has me thinking. Is there such a thing as a monster truck class? I've never even heard of such a thing. It seems as if Stampedes and the like a pretty much relegated to bashing duty.

Sadly, the racing scene in my area is pitiful at best. I tried to run at the 1/18 scale carpet track with my trinity IBS years ago but the usual crowd there were the same elitist assholes that a lot of people spoke of. It didn't help that my IBS was a colossal turd compared to the RC18's.

It seems like a monster truck class could be a pisser with a good jump heavy dirt track. I love my Stampede and I wanna do more with it than terrorize construction sites and BMX tracks.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I used to race in a nitro monster truck class around 2003 when T-Maxxes, Savages, and Monster Pirates were popular. We raced on the 1/8th scale course and it was a freaking demo derby.

I got my TC4 put together minus ESC and motor (still waiting on them to show up). I painted up a camaro for VTA racing. I'm also waiting on my HPI vintage wheels and tires. I'll be racing it like this for the 17.5 TC class as well when VTA isn't going on.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Sorry to post back to back but I went by the carpet track today and was very impressed. The track is extremely nice and everyone was very helpful. While my TC4 is still waiting on the UPS man for parts they let me wheel a 17.5 touring car for a couple laps.

Holy poo poo. Mega respect for on-roaders. It's without a doubt the most difficult time I've ever had with an RC but also a ton of fun. While I'd consider myself a very good oval racer and a competent offroader I found myself kissing the walls and this was even with the car dialed down to 70 percent throttle. Watching the local pros race nearly flawlessly in the A main was quite a sight. Those dudes have cat like reflexes. Everything happens ridiculously fast on carpet.

Can't wait to get my car done so I can start practicing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The tc4 looks great! I haven't done anything but bash around on road, but even that feels like you have to be so, so fast and precise on the steering to get the car where you want it. While I hadn't planned on racing, my local shop does have a class for the mini chassis cars. Maybe I'll have to give it a shot sometime.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sorry to post back to back but I went by the carpet track today and was very impressed. The track is extremely nice and everyone was very helpful. While my TC4 is still waiting on the UPS man for parts they let me wheel a 17.5 touring car for a couple laps.

Holy poo poo. Mega respect for on-roaders. It's without a doubt the most difficult time I've ever had with an RC but also a ton of fun. While I'd consider myself a very good oval racer and a competent offroader I found myself kissing the walls and this was even with the car dialed down to 70 percent throttle. Watching the local pros race nearly flawlessly in the A main was quite a sight. Those dudes have cat like reflexes. Everything happens ridiculously fast on carpet.

Can't wait to get my car done so I can start practicing.

The local track I race with is pure punishment, as they use wooden boards to separate the track, rather than kerbs. So that means if you make one mistake or try to cut a corner, there is a good chance you are up for new front arms or C-hubs.

I am still waiting for an order to come in from Tower Hobbies for my brushless motor and gearing for VTA here. Got the shell (1970 BOSS Mustang) before the electrics, even though the electrics were shipped before the shell :(

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

I used to race in a nitro monster truck class around 2003 when T-Maxxes, Savages, and Monster Pirates were popular.

:allears: Those were the days

Painted the volkswagon bug baja shell I got for my slash and some weird poo poo happened to the tape that made it crinkle up and lines of paint got on the windows :argh: Maybe it was too cold in the garage overnight. I've always sucked at painting and any body that I do myself always looks like poo poo.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 4, 2012

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Did you leave the tape on overnight and then spray it the next day? That and temperature variations will crinkle up the tape. I try to do the masking and paint ASAP if using regular masking tape, but it doesn't matter so much with vinyl masking.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

krushgroove posted:

Did you leave the tape on overnight and then spray it the next day? That and temperature variations will crinkle up the tape. I try to do the masking and paint ASAP if using regular masking tape, but it doesn't matter so much with vinyl masking.

It's mostly just my incompetence. I sprayed it and let it dry overnight in the garage. All my lexan bodies look like poo poo, even my trimming is lovely. I just don't have the eye for visual details. I rationalize my lovely bodies by saying that I'm just going to absolutely destroy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Visiting family this weekend and had a chance to take the M-05 to some more rally-like terrain. The smooth, dusty clay made for some great driving and absolutely FILLED the car with dust after.

I think all of the dust may have jacked up some of its bearings though. Two of the rear wheel bearings feel a bit gritty when I turn them by hand. They haven't seized up yet though, so I'm not sure if I should just replace them or wait until they've completely died.

The area I was in would have been phenomenal for the SCX10, but I didn't have enough room in the car to bring it along. Hopefully next time I'm out I'll have something with 4wd to bash around. Would have been perfect for an Exo or even a 4wd rally car. That said, the FWD M-05 handled surprisingly well.